• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

butanebob

Neo Member
Have you updated the Bios? Originally, when the MB first came out, they had problems cold booting, but that was fixed in a early Bios update.

Yeah i have updated the bios twice since i first got it. I currently have the latest one. It's a pretty dodgy motherboard really. :\

appaws

Banned
About that Anandtech article. The author is a member on OCN, and said this when asked why he only included average FPS numbers.

I'm seriously appalled that Anandtech would even post that article.

I've been following the frame latency/inside the second stuff from the beginning, so I get where you are coming from.

But since he is comparing CPUs using the same GPU setup for each one...it does not seem that egregious a problem to me. All of the frame timing problems have been squarely pointed at video cards and not CPUs, so comparing different CPUs paired with the same, let's say a 570....

Would we see frame variances due to the CPU...? Hmmmm...maybe I actually agree with you...

Ty4on

I've been following the frame latency/inside the second stuff from the beginning, so I get where you are coming from.

But since he is comparing CPUs using the same GPU setup for each one...it does not seem that egregious a problem to me. All of the frame timing problems have been squarely pointed at video cards and not CPUs, so comparing different CPUs paired with the same, let's say a 570....

Would we see frame variances due to the CPU...? Hmmmm...maybe I actually agree with you...

The 8XXX has eight cores, but they're weak cores. The 3570k has four, but they're powerful. One thing that can happen is that if the game is well threaded the 8XXX may match the Intel, but if there is a sudden bottleneck in one thread the 8XXX will have much higher latency (FPS drop I guess) than the Intel CPU.

In poorly threaded games the AVG FPS may be slightly lower, but the big bottlenecks will probably be much worse on the AMD CPU. We know the eight core Visheras are more powerful in raw power than four core Ivy, but the difference is in games where the work isn't perfectly planned out. In Crysis 3 I've seen AMD do better in AVG FPS, but much worse in MIN and drops.

In the last 2 weeks I've moved my setup to the Fractal Design Node 605, then just bought the modular PSU Corsair CX600M. I am about ready to get a new video card. I am currently running with the EVGA 560 2GB which has served me well so far, but games like Bioshock I and Crysis 3 are starting to kick my cards ass.

My setup:

i5 2500K
ASRock Pro 3-M mobo
8 GB DDR3 1333 Mhz RAM
PSU Corsair CX600M
EVGA 560 2GB

I'm considering the 660 TI 2GB or possibly just going with the 670 2GB FTW which I know could last me about 2 years before needing to upgrade again. I was thinking the 7970 could also be an option, but I've been leery with AMD drivers just hearing different things. The issue too is that the 7970 would be too tight in my case, but I can probably squeeze it in there. I'm going to be gaming on a 50 inch HDTV @ 1080p.

Can the 660 TI 2GB last me 2 years or will I run into issues running some of the newer games?

Do you guys think I can get a 770 @ $400 when they release or would they be more than that? If their more than that, at this point due to budget would just look at getting a 670.

Any recommendations or advice?

HoosTrax

I tried installing the Lightboost hack. And I'm not sure if I did something wrong.

For example, if a still screenshot looks like this:
2013050900002.jpg

What my eyes see is this (the "ball" in front of the paddle on the left side):

Basically, I see a very crisp "trail". I actually had to screencap it to make sure the actual sprite didn't look like that. It's not a blurry trail.

I can see the double images really distinctly browsing the Steam store scrolling chart too.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
i5 2500K
ASRock Pro 3-M mobo
8 GB DDR3 1333 Mhz RAM
PSU Corsair CX600M
EVGA 560 2GB

I'm considering the 660 TI 2GB or possibly just going with the 670 2GB FTW which I know could last me about 2 years before needing to upgrade again. I was thinking the 7970 could also be an option, but I've been leery with AMD drivers just hearing different things. The issue too is that the 7970 would be too tight in my case, but I can probably squeeze it in there. I'm going to be gaming on a 50 inch HDTV @ 1080p.

Can the 660 TI 2GB last me 2 years or will I run into issues running some of the newer games?

I know the 700 series is coming within the month, but I can get the 660 TI or 670 a bit cheaper now than what I'd be paying for a 700.

Any recommendations or advice?
I'd wait a month and see what the new GPUs from nVidia offer. AMD Drivers have gotten a ton better, but still (imo) suffer from some Day 1 issues. Also CrossFire is completely broken across some games right now. Other than that you get a much better value from a top end AMD purchase (and $100 of free games).
Faster cores can reduce minimum frame latency, yes.
About that Anandtech article. The author is a member on OCN, and said this when asked why he only included average FPS numbers.

I'm seriously appalled that Anandtech would even post that article.
I was looking at it and picked out a few interesting things so I wasn't nearly as critical.

But looking at it from a new viewer perspective (and certainly the purchasing recommendations) I can see where you are coming from.

ChanHuk

Banned
I know Haswell isn't out yet, but will the i5 variant overclocked to 4Ghz be able to do so with relatively low dB in a HTPC box?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I know Haswell isn't out yet, but will the i5 variant overclocked to 4Ghz be able to do so with relatively low dB in a HTPC box?
Absolutely
With a closed loop cooler, yeah.
You can do 4Ghz now on stock or sub stock voltage so that isn't even required. Air with a nice fan is more than enough.
If Haswell is running 1.0V with a soldered IHS it'll only need a dozen ants farting to cool it.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Absolutely

You can do 4Ghz now on stock or sub stock voltage so that isn't even required. Air with a nice fan is more than enough.
If Haswell is running 1.0V with a soldered IHS it'll only need a dozen ants farting to cool it.

I want to believe.

5 GHz being the next 4.5 GHz typical OC point that is.

zakislam

Yeah, you'd want the PC I laid out above.

Mobo: Rampage IV Formula
CPU: Intel 3930K
RAM: 4x4GB of 1866+ DDR3
PSU: Corsair AX860i
Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i
Fans: 3xCorsair AF140 Quiet Editions to replace Fractal fans
SSD: Crucial M500 480GB or 960GB
Soundcard: Sound Blaster Z or Xonar Essence STX
Video cards: Two Titans

Alternatively, you could swap the CPU with a 3770K and a Gigabyte Z77X-UP7 motherboard, or MSI MPower. It'd be a bit cheaper, but definitely not as fast in video editing.

The Titans are great cards to have for additional editing power. Vegas prefers AMD, Premiere prefers NVIDIA. You can definitely use NVIDIA cards in Vegas though.

You can also get a nicer case, but it wouldn't do anything other than look prettier. This is important to people like me, but I definitely understand that not being a priority.

If you are needing someone to build it for you, I'd be more than happy to get it set up and running.

Would everyone here agree with the above PC components for the ultimate gaming PC? Ready to go spend a few grand on it.

Also, I saw Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-the-ultimate-gaming-pc) used an Asus Rampage IV Extreme instead of a Rampage IV Formula for the motherboard for their ultimate gaming PC. Is there any difference between the two?

And for the Titan, the one Eurogamer used is the 6GB EVGA GTX Titan, which I've found for sale here (sold out everywhere else. Is this a good Titan graphics card since there's a few brands selling Titans. Also, it says Superclocked, so is that good or bad?

scogoth

Would everyone here agree with the above PC components for the ultimate gaming PC? Ready to go spend a few grand on it.

Also, I saw Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-the-ultimate-gaming-pc) used an Asus Rampage IV Extreme instead of a Rampage IV Formula for the motherboard for their ultimate gaming PC. Is there any difference between the two?

Extreme is for when you really really really know what you are doing for overclocking. Adds in features like LN2 mode, cold bug start. Formula has everything you could want for overclocking unless you are doing subzero cooling or have a degree in electrical engineering.

All titans are the same. Superclocked means its slightly overclocked already but all titans would be able to achieve the same and more

bobeth

I'm going to build a new PC in june, any recommendations for a quiet case? Size doesn't matter, but I prefer a sober look..

zakislam

Extreme is for when you really really really know what you are doing for overclocking. Adds in features like LN2 mode, cold bug start. Formula has everything you could want for overclocking unless you are doing subzero cooling or have a degree in electrical engineering.

All titans are the same. Superclocked means its slightly overclocked already but all titans would be able to achieve the same and more

Not really going to overclock. Just want it to be ready as it is; mainly going to use for gaming on 4K resolution and video editing. Are either of those motherboards fine then if I'm not going to overclock and do I need to overclock; what benefits would it give me for the Titan?

Are the other components other than the Titan and the motherboard the best possible? Getting 64 GB of RAM and a few TB of SSD fyi.

MedIC86

Not really going to overclock. Just want it to be ready as it is; mainly going to use for gaming on 4K resolution and video editing. Are either of those motherboards fine then if I'm not going to overclock and do I need to overclock; what benefits would it give me for the Titan?

Are the other components other than the Titan and the motherboard the best possible? Getting 64 GB of RAM and a few TB of SSD fyi.

On what screen are you going to play 4K? also if you are dropping this money you might as well go Quad sli titan

Also "a few tb of ssd" you know that goes into 2/3k region per tb right.

zakislam

On what screen are you going to play 4K? also if you are dropping this money you might as well go Quad sli titan

Yep, I know.

For the monitor, I need a 2160p monitor if I'm not mistaken. Looking around for one, and once I do, going to order 3 of them for my setup.

scogoth

If you really have no concern for money an cant be bothered to overclock then get a 3970x and get as many titans as you want. You would also want a proper RAID controller for your several TB of SSDs.

Not overclocking is literally throwing 700 dollars away. A $300 3770k overclocked will out perform a $1000 3970x. Also that many SSDs is absurdly expensive.

MedIC86

Yep, I know.

For the monitor, I need a 2160p monitor if I'm not mistaken. Looking around for one, and once I do, going to order 3 of them for my setup.

I dont know your budget but EIZO has a pretty decent 4k screen. its 35k and you need to import from japan tho.

zakislam

If you really have no concern for money an cant be bothered to overclock then get a 3970x and get as many titans as you want. You would also want a proper RAID controller for your several TB of SSDs.

Not overclocking is literally throwing 700 dollars away. A $300 3770k overclocked will out perform a $1000 3970x. Also that many SSDs is absurdly expensive.

So with the 3970, http://www.ebuyer.com/398407-core-i...ium=products&gclid=CNCk6YDgi7cCFcXKtAodk1QA2g, I should only get it if I don't want to overclock? Can I overclock the 3970 itself?

zakislam

Yes you can overclock it. It comes at a higher clock rate than the 3930k stock but both are overclockable.

Is there a significant difference between the 3930k or 3970k in terms of performance? If I get the latter, will it provide a faster gaming experience and able to handle programs better or what? Sorry, I'm a PC noob.

Chaplain

I need some help from PC GAF.

I need to buy a new desktop pc today or tomorrow. In the past I built my own computers (from 1999-2007), but I am not interested in doing this this time around because I lack the funds. These are the three computers that I have limited my selection too because I can just walk into the store and pick them up.

Dell - XPS Desktop - 8GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive

HP - ENVY Desktop - 10GB Memory - 1.5TB Hard Drive

HP - ENVY Desktop - 10GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive

Here is the link to the comparison of all three Desktops.

I am buying from Best Buy because I have a card their that I can make payments with, with no interest.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. ^_^

kharma45

If it has to be one of those go for the Dell, it has the best CPU.

Building yourself is cheaper although you can't do payments obviously, unless you just bought it part by part.

Chaplain

Building yourself is cheaper although you can't do payments obviously, unless you just bought it part by part.

Thank you.

What do you think of the GPU in the Dell? Is it good enough for now, or do I need to upgrade it?

Demon Ice

Banned

Don't do this. Quad scaling is garbage. Even in a Tri-Titan setup, that third Titan is not adding a whole lot to the performance.

kagete

I still would recommend building your own but if you really must, that Dell has the best CPU and the best GPU of the 3 because of the GDDR5.

So.. I've been in the DAC market.. and an opportunity has presented itself to me, slightly unexpected.

I can grab an "open box" ASUS - XonarEssenceOne for $350

More than I was anticipating to spend, but its a heavy discount for premier item.

Still on the fence about dropping that kinda cash on it.

Sway me one way or another GAF.

hmmm

current rig is i5 2500k, 8gigs ram, 570gtx, its getting a bit old. I built it for battlefield 3 / skyrim.

I'm not gonna do a full rebuild till the new xbox/ps4 is out for awhile (new engines etc), but I do think I could upgrade my gpu to a 770 and coast on that + above rig for another couple of years? Would jumping from 8 gigs ram to 16 matter much?

AndyBNV

Nvidia
hmmm

current rig is i5 2500k, 8gigs ram, 570gtx, its getting a bit old built it for battlefield 3 / skyrim.

not gonna do a full rebuild till the new xbox/ps4 is out for awhile, but I do think I could upgrade my gpu to a 770 and coast on that + above rig for another couple of years? Would jumping from 8 gigs ram to 16 matter much?

The i5 and 8GB are still pretty good, especially if you OC, and a new GPU would definitely give you a big boost.

appaws

Banned

You can. I got no interest for a year from one of the most popular Internet retailers. I'm sure many of them offer it. I don't know if its against the rules for me to say where...?

The i5 and 8GB are still pretty good, especially if you OC, and a new GPU would definitely give you a big boost.

yeah I think im just gonna do the gpu update, I can squeeze a couple more years out of my i5 before it becomes a bottleneck I think. Now to see if the 770 is longer than the 570...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom