• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Croyles

Ok very stupid question coming up:

What are these?
P1_zps336a821b.jpg

Because I already have an 8 pin connecter connected to my Processor's power:

P2_zps986b4c39.jpg

In the 200r carbide, would you guys recommend a 120/140 fan on the upper case (exhausting, i presume), or a 120/140 on the side of the case over the gpu (exhausting as well, I think)?

I'm always bad with this fan stuff.

Croyles

The 550 and up for that supply come with two and the 450 and lower don't. Some overclocking boards have two 8 pin connectors it seems.

Ok I found a website that seems to have explained it. The single unit 2 rows of 4 is an EPS12V Power Connector which is a better (apparently) alternative to the 2 seperate 4 pin ATX12V Power Connector.

I hope I've grasped this correctly and wont fry my shit once I turn everything on.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Everything-You-Need-to-Know-About-Power-Supplies/181/3 (near the bottom of the page)

Blizzard

Banned
Has anyone with a GTX 770, Windows 7 64-bit, randomly had the screen go black for about 2 seconds every so often? It's happened at least twice today, once ingame, and it's kind of scary. Shouldn't be any sort of temperature issue I would think, since I wasn't playing anything too intensive.

Googling found some similar reports, but I haven't found anything in event viewer yet and I'm not sure I've found someone else with the same problem.

Flock

Just about to pull the trigger on my first ever build.
Would love to get some feedback though first, if I can improve performance whilst sticking too this budget or simply lower costs?

I'm hoping this will run well for the next few years and also that it has potential for upgradability?

Will cooling be sufficient for these components in this case? or do I need too something like another fan?

I've gone with this case and micro atx due to some space constraints and this seemed like the best balance between size and my budget.

I've chosen the AMD GPU because I've heard they are better for dual monitor setups and whilst I don't intend to game much (if at all) with dual monitors, I would like to use them for general computing / work.

Also I'm currently using a early 2011 MBP. I just want to know if I can be certain I'll see a pretty big upgrade from what i'm used too, in terms on gaming performance with this build?

Thanks!

YPzYrFk.png

fozzy

Hey guys, I never use my PC for games because it's not very powerful (I'm pretty sure)

But I really want the quakecon pack from steam.

Would this be the thread to post my specs to get a good idea of what to upgrade for the best bang for my buck for games like Oblivion/Fallout/Rage and Skyrim?

Addnan

Just about to pull the trigger on my first ever build.
Would love to get some feedback though first, if I can improve performance whilst sticking too this budget or simply lower costs?

I'm hoping this will run well for the next few years and also that it has potential for upgradability?

I've gone with this case and micro atx due to some space constraints and this seemed like the best balance between size and my budget.

I've chosen the AMD GPU because I've heard they are better for dual monitor setups and whilst I don't intend to game much (if at all) with dual monitors, I would like to use them for general computing / work.

Also I'm currently using a early 2011 MBP. I just want to know if I can be certain I'll see a pretty big upgrade from what i'm used too, in terms on gaming performance with this build?

Thanks!

YPzYrFk.png

Change your RAM to 2x4GB.

As for graphics card for $20 more you can get a GTX760 and it is a lot more powerful. Haven't seen anyone complaining of having issues with dual monitor.

Is that in USD? That PSU is quite expensive. You can get a BP550 and it will do everything you need for cheaper.

Addnan

Hey guys, I never use my PC for games because it's not very powerful (I'm pretty sure)

But I really want the quakecon pack from steam.

Would this be the thread to post my specs to get a good idea of what to upgrade for the best bang for my buck for games like Oblivion/Fallout/Rage and Skyrim?

Yes, post away.

fozzy

Yes, post away.

SiSoftware Sandra

ID
Host Name : Paul-PC
Workgroup : WORKGROUP

Computer
Model : OEM System Product Name
Serial Number : System Ser**********
Chassis : Desktop
Mainboard : ASUS M2N-SLI DELUXE
Serial Number : 123456******
BIOS : Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS M2N-SLI DELUXE ACPI BIOS Revision 1701 10/02/2008
Total Memory : 3.5GB DIMM DDR

Processors
Processor : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ (2C 2.21GHz, 2.21GHz IMC, 2x 512kB L2)
Socket/Slot : AM2/ASB1

Chipset
Memory Controller : ASUS MCP55 Memory Controller 2x 1GHz (2GHz), 4GB DIMM DDR 800MHz

Memory Module(s)
Memory Module : Corsair CM2X512A-6400 512MB DIMM DDR2 PC2-6400U DDR2-800 (5-5-5-18 3-22-6-3)
Memory Module : Corsair CM2X512A-6400 512MB DIMM DDR2 PC2-6400U DDR2-800 (5-5-5-18 3-22-6-3)
Memory Module : Corsair CM2X1024-6400 1GB DIMM DDR2 PC2-6400U DDR2-800 (5-5-5-18 3-22-6-3)
Memory Module : Corsair CM2X2048-6400C5 2GB DIMM DDR2 PC2-6400U DDR2-800 (5-5-5-18 3-22-6-3)

Video System
Monitor/Panel : ACI VE247
(1920x1080, 24.0")
Monitor/Panel : (Standard monitor types) Generic Non-PnP Monitor
Monitor/Panel : Panasonic-TV
(1920x1080, 37.5")
Video Adapter : ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series (10CU 800SP SM4.1 780MHz, 512MB DDR5 4GHz 256-bit, PCIe 2.00 x16)

Graphics Processor
OpenCL GP Processor : ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series (800SP 10C 780MHz, 256MB DDR5 4GHz 256-bit)
Compute Shader Processor : ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series (800SP 10C 780MHz, 512MB DDR5 4GHz 256-bit)

Storage Devices
WDC WD3200AAKS-00L9A0 (320.1GB, SATA300, 3.5", 7200rpm, 16MB Cache) : 298GB (C:)
SAMSUNG HD204UI (2TB, SATA300, 3.5", 5400rpm, 32MB Cache) : 2TB (E:)
Hitachi HDT721010SLA360 (1TB, SATA300, 3.5", 7200rpm, 15MB Cache) : 932GB (F:)
Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166 (2TB, SATA600, 5900rpm) : 2TB (B:)
Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH164 (2TB, USB2/SATA600, 3.5", 7200rpm) : 2TB (I:)
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S222A (ATA66, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 2MB Cache) : N/A (D:)
GBOR 2ROPMR0LQB8 (SCSI, BD-R, HD-DVD-R, DVD+-R-DL, CD-R) : N/A (G:)

Logical Storage Devices
Hard Disk (C:) : 298GB (NTFS) @ WDC WD3200AAKS-00L9A0 (320.1GB, SATA300, 3.5", 7200rpm, 16MB Cache)
New Volume (E:) : 2TB (NTFS) @ SAMSUNG HD204UI (2TB, SATA300, 3.5", 5400rpm, 32MB Cache)
Hard Disk (F:) : 906GB (NTFS) @ Hitachi HDT721010SLA360 (1TB, SATA300, 3.5", 7200rpm, 15MB Cache)
New Volume (B:) : 2TB (NTFS) @ Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166 (2TB, SATA600, 5900rpm)
Optical Drive (D:) : N/A @ TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S222A (ATA66, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 2MB Cache)
Floppy Disk (A:) : N/A
Optical Drive (G:) : N/A @ GBOR 2ROPMR0LQB8 (SCSI, BD-R, HD-DVD-R, DVD+-R-DL, CD-R)
Local Disk (I:) : 2TB (NTFS) @ Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH164 (2TB, USB2/SATA600, 3.5", 7200rpm)

Thanks for any help.

ShowDog

Change your RAM to 2x4GB.

As for graphics card for $20 more you can get a GTX760 and it is a lot more powerful. Haven't seen anyone complaining of having issues with dual monitor.

Is that in USD? That PSU is quite expensive. You can get a BP550 and it will do everything you need for cheaper.

I was thinking these same things.

Polymath

Neo Member
Got a new desk recently because my old desk lacked the necessary room for comfortably fitting a 2 screen setup.
I'm really happy about it so far because it has enough space for my 2 27'' screens + a giant computer case with lots of room left for keyboard and mouse.

I added a second GTX 680 a few months ago and it's been running fine in my loop.
However now with summer and all these hot days here i'm starting to worry about my water temp reaching 40c during gaming sessions.
My question is is this considered normal/safe? I could add a single 140 Rad in the bottom but i don't think it will bring any noticeable impact on my water temps and i don't feel good about modding the case to fit a dual 120 in the bottom just yet.
Both cards heat up to about 48-51c in an room with 30-33c ambient temp.

Here are my specs + a picture of my setup, enjoy.

3SSui.jpg

-XSPC RayStorm D5 RX360 WaterCooling Kit
-Tygon R3603 - HighFlow - 7/16 ID - 5/8 OD - Clear Tubes
-EK-FC680 GTX - Acetal CSQ with a (EK-FC680 GTX Backplate - Black CSQ) x2
-11MM (7/16 ID - 5/8 OD) EK-PSC 12mm - G1/4 Black Fittings
-Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Sensor Stop Fitting Matt Black BP-MBWP-CT
-Koolance 5-way Fitting Body (zilver) SPL-XUFY5B (for my draining system and temp sensor)
-NZXT Sentry 2

- Corsair obsidian 800D
- Intel® Core™ i7-2600K @ 4.5Ghz 1.3v
- Asus Maximus IV Extreme Z
- MSI N680GTX Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC x2 (1202/3602)
- G.Skill RipjawsX 4x4GB 1600mhz (16GB) 9-9-9-24
- Asus Phoebus Sound Card
- 120GB SSD(OS) & 60GB SSD(GAMES) & 2x1TB 7200rpm HDD's (DATA)
- Corsair HX850W PSU

any advice for getting better cooling? I guess i can run my 680's at stock for now but perhaps there are better idea's.

Blizzard

Banned
Has anyone with a GTX 770, Windows 7 64-bit, randomly had the screen go black for about 2 seconds every so often? It's happened at least twice today, once ingame, and it's kind of scary. Shouldn't be any sort of temperature issue I would think, since I wasn't playing anything too intensive.

Googling found some similar reports, but I haven't found anything in event viewer yet and I'm not sure I've found someone else with the same problem.
Bah, googling doesn't seem to find any good leads besides the event viewer. If anyone else happens to have ever had this it'd be awesome to hear about. I did try temporarily switching back to one monitor since I have my (powered-off) Oculus Rift configured as half of a cloned desktop, so maybe it will make a difference.

tauke

My Gigabyte GTX 780 is making a weird clicking noise in the past few hours whenever I put it to full load.

Noticed this when I was playing Dark Souls downsampling from 5120x2880 as it create a soft clicking noise at a constant rate until I quit the game which the noise gone.

Any reasons to it? This graphic card is barely a month old for me and I worry if the fan is failing at max speed. I'll be opening up my casing to see if there's any foreign object in the fan.

Shawn6661

Mainboard : ASUS M2N-SLI DELUXE

Processor : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ (2C 2.21GHz, 2.21GHz Memory Module(s)
Memory Module : Corsair CM2X1024-6400 1GB DIMM DDR2 PC2-6400U DDR2-800 (5-5-5-18 3-22-6-3)
Memory Module : Corsair CM2X2048-6400C5 2GB DIMM DDR2 PC2-6400U DDR2-800 (5-5-5-18 3-22-6-3)

Video Adapter : ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series (10CU 800SP SM4.1 780MHz, 512MB DDR5 4GHz 256-bit, PCIe 2.00 x16)

I have the same setup (athlon x2 4200+, 2gb ram, amd 4850 512mb) and the last game i could run was Mass Effect 3. You should be able to play Oblivion, maybe Fallout but i dont think the 4200+ will handle Skyrim. Basically, if you want to upgrade, try a new CPU/Motherboard/RAM combo. If you need it to be cheap, go with something like a i3 3220/4gb DDR3/B75 motherboard (~250$).

TheD

The Detective
So Windows 7 or 8?

My parts are coming and I need to get my OS installs ready on the USB.

Unless you want a dogshit interface slapped over the desktop, that you need third party programs to work around (programs that modify the Windows GUI have never been reliable in my experience), go 7.

t-ramp

I have the same setup (athlon x2 4200+, 2gb ram, amd 4850 512mb) and the last game i could run was Mass Effect 3. You should be able to play Oblivion, maybe Fallout but i dont think the 4200+ will handle Skyrim. Basically, if you want to upgrade, try a new CPU/Motherboard/RAM combo. If you need it to be cheap, go with something like a i3 3220/4gb DDR3/B75 motherboard (~250$).
My friend played through BioShock Infinite with a Athlon X2 and 4830. Twice. I'm not sure if I could have done it.

Amagon

So I just received my new mouse, the CM Storm XORNET and I am pretty disappointed with it, (coming from a Logitech MX Revolution). Way too small for my hand. I usually have my index/middle/ring fingers controlling the lmb/scroll wheel/rmb on my Logitech but now I am reduce to using the index/middle to control the mouse for the CM Storm. Very unnatural for me and also try using all 3 fingers to control the buttons which is a little tight space for me. If the buttons had a bigger real estate, I would of like this mouse. Any recommendations on bigger mouse than the XORNET will be appreciated. Can't really ship it back since I bought it new off ebay so might sell it in the buy/sell/trade thread.

9OtFWKul.jpg

Logitech MX Revolution

Ut0XNTNl.jpg

CM Storm XORNET

HfCg41nl.jpg

Croyles

Guys. Thank you all so much for your great help!

I am typing this on my beast of a new machine. Built totally by myself (with plenty of help from you guys and instruction videos of course) and everything runs perfectly. Computer is cool and quiet. Nice clean install of Win 7, with a boot time of 8 seconds.

8 seconds.
8 SECONDS!
I think I am in heaven.

I think I have all the important drivers installed and have updated Windows completely.

Anyone recommend any good free software that monitors your CPU, GPU and chipset temperatures as well as current fan speeds?

Ok guys, time to start building. Wish me luck!

Also, I bought two additional 120mm fans to put into my 200r carbide.

Where do you guys recommend I put them? One exhaust on the top and one exhaust on the side over the GPU? Or have intake on top and exhaust on bottom. What creates the best airflow?

So I just received my new mouse, the CM Storm XORNET and I am pretty disappointed with it, (coming from a Logitech MX Revolution). Way too small for my hand. I usually have my index/middle/ring fingers controlling the lmb/scroll wheel/rmb on my Logitech but now I am reduce to using the index/middle to control the mouse for the CM Storm. Very unnatural for me and also try using all 3 fingers to control the buttons which is a little tight space for me. If the buttons had a bigger real estate, I would of like this mouse. Any recommendations on bigger mouse than the XORNET will be appreciated. Can't really ship it back since I bought it new off ebay so might sell it in the buy/sell/trade thread.

9OtFWKul.jpg

Logitech MX Revolution

Ut0XNTNl.jpg

CM Storm XORNET

HfCg41nl.jpg

I'm looking for a storm or possibly a spawn. I use claw and it seems to be a great mouse for that.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Whaaaaaaaat, you crazy.

Yeah if you used to use it like that you'll obviously have a problem, sorry about that. I can't think of any on the top of my head.
Guys. Thank you all so much for your great help!

I am typing this on my beast of a new machine. Built totally by myself (with plenty of help from you guys and instruction videos of course) and everything runs perfectly. Computer is cool and quiet. Nice clean install of Win 7, with a boot time of 8 seconds.

8 seconds.
8 SECONDS!
I think I am in heaven.

I think I have all the important drivers installed and have updated Windows completely.

Anyone recommend any good free software that monitors your CPU, GPU and chipset temperatures as well as current fan speeds?
Bottom of OP

mkenyon

Banned
Xornet is meant for a claw grip, not palm grip.

If you want a largeish palm grip mouse, you want the Corsair M65.

Shawn6661

My friend played through BioShock Infinite with a Athlon X2 and 4830. Twice. I'm not sure if I could have done it.

I wonder with how many FPS/settings he achieved this !
I can barely play Diablo 3 so Bioshock Infinite ! I'm curious, maybe he got a higher clocked x2 ?

t-ramp

I wonder with how many FPS/settings he achieved this !
I can barely play Diablo 3 so Bioshock Infinite ! I'm curious, maybe he got a higher clocked x2 ?
It might be. I'm thinking it's 2.7 or 2.8. Probably lowish settings, and definitely not 60+ fps.

Amagon

Xornet is meant for a claw grip, not palm grip.

If you want a largeish palm grip mouse, you want the Corsair M65.

I know Xornet was for claw grip because thats the grip I use. Shouldn't had laid my hand on the pictures but I am definitely not a palm user.

clav

Still waiting for a decent price on a 650 Ti Boost or 660 2GB.

7790 keeps calling my name because of the game bundle, but I feel like I'm settling for it despite the name (i.e. Never Settle bundle). A really great value for the game trio: Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, and Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon although fuck Uplay.

If AMD brings it back for the 7850 or 7870, I will reconsider.

t-ramp

Still waiting for a decent price on a 650 Ti Boost or 660 2GB.

7790 keeps calling my name because of the game bundle, but I feel like I'm settling for it despite the name (i.e. Never Settle bundle). A really great value for the game trio: Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, and Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon although fuck Uplay.

If AMD brings it back for the 7850 or 7870, I will reconsider.
I just realized the other day that I have two Uplay accounts. Totally forgot that I bought HAWX 2 last year under an alternate email address. Is that game worth playing?

zeelman

So I'm planning on buying a pair of headphones and a mic for my computer instead of a headset (like I buy for my consoles). I'm not an audiophile or anything, but are there any other headphones under $100 that people could recommend besides the Monoprice DJ headphones? I'm kinda overwhelmed by the various headphones available and I need help narrowing things down. Here's what I'm considering:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00007E7C8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RB24S2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005SNPTS2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MMEI8W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003LPTAZ2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Z57WDO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007ZT4AGY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009A6CZ3A/?tag=neogaf0e-20

t-ramp

So I'm planning on buying a pair of headphones and a mic for my computer instead of a headset (like I buy for my consoles). I'm not an audiophile or anything, but are there any other headphones under $100 that people could recommend besides the Monoprice DJ headphones? I'm kinda overwhelmed by the various headphones available and I need help narrowing things down. Here's what I'm considering:

We do have a headphone thread with recommendations.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Buy whatever and get a Mod Mic 2.0 with it

Blackage

I have a silly question. Is it possible to get 60 FPS on a single graphics card on ultra settings for most games, or do you pretty much have to SLI or Crossfire 2 graphics cards for that kind of performance?

Talking for a 1 monitor set-up. 1920 x 1080

Kimaka

I need help on upgrading the GPU and PSU on my prebuilt PC.

Gateway DX4860-UB32P
-CPU: Intel Core i3 2120 3.30 Ghz
-RAM: 6GB DDR3
-Motherboard: Gateway IPISB-VR
-PSU: FSP300-60THA(1) 300w ATX12v

I've been looking at a EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB but I'm thinking about going with the MSI version instead since the other may be too big to fit. The PSU I'm looking at is an Antec 450W.

I will be using the PC for gaming but I play mostly older games. Newer games I want to at least run at 30fps at medium settings are The Witcher 2, Guild Wars 2, Skyrim, and Mass Effect 3. I'm not sure if the GPU I selected would be overkill with the CPU I have now so any other suggestions are welcome. I want to keep the budget for the GPU less than $180 and the PSU less than $50.

9OtFWKul.jpg

Logitech MX Revolution

Ut0XNTNl.jpg

CM Storm XORNET

HfCg41nl.jpg

The CM is a claw mouse.

mkenyon

Banned
Got a new desk recently because my old desk lacked the necessary room for comfortably fitting a 2 screen setup.
I'm really happy about it so far because it has enough space for my 2 27'' screens + a giant computer case with lots of room left for keyboard and mouse.

I added a second GTX 680 a few months ago and it's been running fine in my loop.
However now with summer and all these hot days here i'm starting to worry about my water temp reaching 40c during gaming sessions.
My question is is this considered normal/safe? I could add a single 140 Rad in the bottom but i don't think it will bring any noticeable impact on my water temps and i don't feel good about modding the case to fit a dual 120 in the bottom just yet.
Both cards heat up to about 48-51c in an room with 30-33c ambient temp.

any advice for getting better cooling? I guess i can run my 680's at stock for now but perhaps there are better idea's.
You have about ~500W of heat trying to be dissipated by a radiator that can only dissipate about 200-300W of heat. You need another 240-360mm radiator. Simple as that. If you don't want to mod your case, get a new case. 800D requires cutting to be an adequate watercooling case.
I have a silly question. Is it possible to get 60 FPS on a single graphics card on ultra settings for most games, or do you pretty much have to SLI or Crossfire 2 graphics cards for that kind of performance?

Talking for a 1 monitor set-up. 1920 x 1080
Easy peasy. Most cards will do it for most games. But, really, you should be pushing for 8.3ms frametimes (120 FPS). :p

I'm going through with building a second computer with an ITX form factor.

I want to get my mobo and cpu at Microcenter for the discount and bundles, they don't sell the P8Z77-I so are any of these motherboards good?

Z77E-ITX LGA1155
http://www.microcenter.com/product/..._Z77_mini_ITX_Intel_Motherboard_-_Refurbished

GA-H61N-USB3
http://www.microcenter.com/product/392369/GA-H61N-USB3_LGA_1155_H61_Mini_ITX_Intel_Motherboard

My last build I just went balls out and bought whatever the hell I wanted but for this one I want to keep cost in mind. I'm going with the Bitfenix Prodigy case, a i5 Ivy Bridge with 212 EVO, and an old GTX 580 I have with a XFX 550W.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom