• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artanisix

Really want to pick up an SSD. Friend was telling me about the Samsung EVO SSDs coming out, should I wait for those or pick up the 840 pros?

Addnan

Really want to pick up an SSD. Friend was telling me about the Samsung EVO SSDs coming out, should I wait for those or pick up the 840 pros?

Doesn't really matter, get whatever you can find best price for, so M4, M500, Pro or even the standard Samsung 840 in 250GB+. You won't really be able to tell the difference in performance.

Irobot82

Hi, guys I'm having problems with my intel rig. I'm getting a lot of fail boots, installation errors(this one while im trying to install windows 8 or 7 doesnt matter which one is) and black screens(when I turn it on, sometimes the screen stays black). It all started 3 months ago, after some week the mobo stopped working. Send it back to the tech support and they changed it with a new one. It worked for like a day and Now i'm getting again the same problems, the pc screen stays black when I turn it on, no bios nothing else shows up.
I dont get whats' going on, I tried swithcing every component with my other rig everything except for the mobo+cpu, since its amd) and everything works fine.
My mobo and cpu are : i5 3570k and asrock z77pro4. Hope to get some useful advice.

What do you have your monitor connected to your video card? HDMI or DVI?

Edit:

Without you responding to this question I'll continue. Unplug the cable from your GPU, plug it in to the Mobo's. Boot up the system. Finish install and/or load windows. Update Drivers amd/nvidia. Reboot. Get into windows. Plug it back into GPU. Reboot and see if that helps.

maneil99

Short story. Well, kinda. I get my PC back from the local shop, he installed a fan, a gpu and rotated a heatsink, I didn't have time to do it myself and did not want to do it. I hear a screw moving and eventually find it here: http://i.imgur.com/ao4xxWO.jpg The place I put it in fit nicely, but there is an empty hole underneath so I am not sure if there is even suppose to be something screwed there.

As you can tell I have OCD and I worry over small things.
here is an image of the place I found the screw exactly http://i.imgur.com/AUyJ5Na.jpg Here is the screw measured http://i.imgur.com/y1ATLED.jpg
Case = Haf 912 Heatsink = 212 +

He says all he removed was the cooler and gpu and mounted an extra fan on the cooler...

knitoe

Short story. Well, kinda. I get my PC back from the local shop, he installed a fan, a gpu and rotated a heatsink, I didn't have time to do it myself and did not want to do it. I hear a screw moving and eventually find it here: http://i.imgur.com/ao4xxWO.jpg The place I put it in fit nicely, but there is an empty hole underneath so I am not sure if there is even suppose to be something screwed there.

here is an image of the place I found the screw exactly http://i.imgur.com/AUyJ5Na.jpg Here is the screw measured http://i.imgur.com/y1ATLED.jpg

He says all he removed was the cooler and gpu and mounted an extra fan on the cooler...

More likely, sometimes when you try to screw it in, you drop the screw, and end up, not able to find it. He should and would have used another screw. If the computer is working fine, take out the extra screw and don't worry about it.

Anton668

yeah, that just looks like he was too lazy to pick up a screw he dropped

I know that feel.

Been going back and forth between getting a 780 4GB a TITAN or wait till the 800 series for weeks now

ipman-20fxej.gif

This is what the Titan does to lesser cards.

timnich

So with the new driver leaking for AMD cards, is getting a second 7950 to crossfire a good idea? When I got my first 7950 my plan was to get a second one down the line to hopefully run current games at near max settings @1080, but the frame latency issue prevented me from picking it up. Would i get a decent enough boost to warrant a second card? I'm not looking to pick up a top end card.

Mad Max

Most Haswell chips don't go beyond 4.2 without excessive temps.

Depends on what you define as excessive I guess:p. I've rarely seen people with haswell chips that can't go above 4.2 on any cooling that isn't stock. As long as you can keep the vCore under 1.2V even a cheap hyper 212 will suffice, which should take most (but not all) chips between 4.2 and 4.4.

kennah

Hah. That was random. Found an abandoned PVR next to a dumpster. Grabbed it and took it apart.

Free 1tb sata hard drive. Score.

mkenyon

Banned
upgrading from gtx 680 to 780 or 800 series

or sli ?
680 if you dont mind working through the odd SLI issue. I'd get one used, and save pennies for 800/900 series.
So with the new driver leaking for AMD cards, is getting a second 7950 to crossfire a good idea? When I got my first 7950 my plan was to get a second one down the line to hopefully run current games at near max settings @1080, but the frame latency issue prevented me from picking it up. Would i get a decent enough boost to warrant a second card? I'm not looking to pick up a top end card.
This might fix the frame timing issues, but it still doesn't fix the fact that CAPs are slow as hell to come out. It's a good idea if you are a serious enthusiast that doesn't mind spending time fixing stuff or fiddling getting things to work. If you even cringe in the slightest about that, stick with one card for now. New cards in a few months supposedly.
If any one of these drives goes on sale, get it. Specs and numbers are nearly meaningless at this point. Size and reliability is all that matters. All of these are wonderfully reliable. Everything is so fast, that it's nearly impossible to tell speed differences on the user's end, unless you have really specific tasks where you need them IOPS.

Kingston HyperX
Crucial M4
Crucial M500
Plextor M5
Corsair Neutron GTX
Samsung 840 (250GB+ only)
Samsung 840 Pro
Samsung 840 Evo

There's more out there that would be totally fine, but that's the short list of SSD's I'd consider (or have) in my own systems.

Thorgal

ipman-20fxej.gif

This is what the Titan does to lesser cards.

I know that and i would buy one right now as it would pretty much destroy whatever next gen can throw at it.

One major thing holding me back is we don't know if the 880 would be on par or above even a titan .

while the price is not exactly an issue it is still a steep price for one and i want to be sure that at this point in time i am not paying for something that may or may not be outclassed by a near future GPU at a possibly cheaper price . (lots of assumptions .i know)

That and the fact ill probably will hav to upgrade my 550w PSU to run that beast. adding to the price .

mkenyon

Banned
I'd actually be really interested to see some benches comparing a 780 and a 7970 which is clocked at 1200MHz or so. With the new drivers, I have a feeling the 7970 would be a serious contender.

Right now, I think the card to wait for is the Radeon R9 9970.

kharma45

IMO you'll regret getting 128GB, I certainly do.

I don't, but my point was about the reliability and longevity of it.

By the time you need to add another 7950 you might just be better off getting another top single card.

If any one of these drives goes on sale, get it. Specs and numbers are nearly meaningless at this point. Size and reliability is all that matters. All of these are wonderfully reliable. Everything is so fast, that it's nearly impossible to tell speed differences on the user's end, unless you have really specific tasks where you need them IOPS.

Kingston HyperX
Crucial M4
Crucial M500
Plextor M5
Corsair Neutron GTX
Samsung 840 (250GB+ only)
Samsung 840 Pro
Samsung 840 Evo

There's more out there that would be totally fine, but that's the short list of SSD's I'd consider (or have) in my own systems.

120GB 840 is perfectly fine.

I know that and i would buy one right now as it would pretty much destroy whatever next gen can throw at it.

One major thing holding me back is we don't know if the 880 would be on par or above even a titan .

while the price is not exactly an issue it is still a steep price for one and i want to be sure that at this point in time i am not paying for something that may or may not be outclassed by a near future GPU at a possibly cheaper price . (lots of assumptions .i know)

That and the fact ill probably will hav to upgrade my 550w PSU to run that beast. adding to the price .

880 will definitely be on par with Titan at worst, look at the difference between a 780 and a Titan. It's basically nothing. Your 550w is still fine too for a single GPU.

Smokey

With the Ivy-E prices announced.. Why would anyone go with it vs haswell? Feel like haswell serves no purpose now that you can get on 2011 for cheaper...

timnich

This might fix the frame timing issues, but it still doesn't fix the fact that CAPs are slow as hell to come out. It's a good idea if you are a serious enthusiast that doesn't mind spending time fixing stuff or fiddling getting things to work. If you even cringe in the slightest about that, stick with one card for now. New cards in a few months supposedly.

Cool, thanks for the help. I guess for the time being I'll hold off on buying anything.

Addnan

Coming from a gtx 670 and regular monitor btw. Selling the gtx 670 and monitor so the upgrade isn't that expensive.

As long as you are not paying too much to go from the 670. I did the same, went from 670 to 770 because it didn't cost me anything.

I have a 6870 1GB right now and I want to upgrade for Watch_Dogs and Splinter Cell.

Should I get the GTX 680 right now? I was looking at this one; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121635

The Asus seems relatively cheap compared to other brands of that card. I dunno if it'll be a noticeable improvement from my current card, can anyone comment on this?

Should I wait until the fall when Watch_Dogs comes out or just get it now? I might cancel my PS4 pre-order since the GTX 680 likely poops all over the PS4's GPU (though, I'd like someone to confirm this, too.)

Addnan

I have a 6870 1GB right now and I want to upgrade for Watch_Dogs and Splinter Cell.

Should I get the GTX 680 right now? I was looking at this one; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121635

The Asus seems relatively cheap compared to other brands of that card. I dunno if it'll be a noticeable improvement from my current card, can anyone comment on this?

Should I wait until the fall when Watch_Dogs comes out or just get it now? I might cancel my PS4 pre-order since the GTX 680 likely poops all over the PS4's GPU (though, I'd like someone to confirm this, too.)
If you can wait for watch dogs then the AMD 9xxx might be out by then. Otherwise look into the 7970/770

kharma45

Not too bad a price that! Was gonna say get a 770 instead but that's a fair bit cheaper. And yes it poops all over the PS4 GPU.

7970 is also a very good buy (I'd lean towards it myself) but it has no free games atm sadly http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202008

Yeah, around here the entry level Ivy-E will I think be placed into the top build in then OP. No point buying 3770K/4770K at the high end.

No 'I think' about it :p

Thorgal

880 will definitely be on par with Titan at worst, look at the difference between a 780 and a Titan. It's basically nothing. Your 550w is still fine too for a single GPU.

Even if i want to overklock it with the GPU boost 2.0 ?

Speaking about that . is 80 C° The utter limit you should go with it on stock fans?

Mad Max

I'm having trouble with my corsair TX650 V2 again (2nd unit) and since I my backup PSU died I can't RMA this one. So I'm kind of forced to buy a new PSU now.

This time I want something a bit more reliable and quiet, so I was looking at the cooler master V700 which I got recommended. It's seasonic made and supposed to be based on the same platform as the new seasonic X750 and the corsair AX760, but about €30 cheaper. Is this a good buy? Or should I wait for the super flower based psu's that are coming out soon(-ish)?

mkenyon

Banned
120GB 840 is perfectly fine.
I said as much, but that's my own personal list.
With the Ivy-E prices announced.. Why would anyone go with it vs haswell? Feel like haswell serves no purpose now that you can get on 2011 for cheaper...
Motherboard + memory brings the price back up. Cheapest decent X79 board is still a smidge above $200, and then Quad Channel memory.

everytime I say 'quad channel' in my head, it sounds like 'quad damage' from quake, making it even more awesome

Going for great value - 1155 + 3570K. Going for balls awesome system where you'd be buying a ~$200 motherboard anyway, then that's where Ivy-E makes sense.
Think because the 3820 should have already been an option there and it's not!
This was a complicated situation.

1) Finding a motherboard that would flash almost definitely to PCI-E 3.0

2) Finding a motherboard that played nice with BCLK OC'ing which the 3820 needs.

3) Finding a motherboard that fits the above two criteria without being $300+.

With the 4820K, you don't have to worry about #2, and as a result, #3 is much less hard to do. Plus, there should be some X79 refresh mobos coming out.

mkenyon

Banned
Hoping Gigabyte releases a microatx 2011 board.
Day 1 if it happens, and it isn't a budget UD3/UP3.

After playing around with RoG boards, I have come to absolutely love Gigabyte BIOS. It's so logically laid out. ASUS sticks a ton of different options in different areas that should be in the same place. It's a major PITA to OC with X79 RoG boards.

Istaerion

I realize this isn't the most appropriate question considering the nature of the thread, but I figure it's relevant enough that it's not utterly off-topic.

Anyhow, could anyone confirm whether or not the ASUS VG23AH is a wise purchase for primarily console gaming? I'll be dedicating one of my monitors to the PC and the other to consoles for ease of use and multitasking.

Thanks in advance!

kharma45

I'm having trouble with my corsair TX650 V2 again (2nd unit) and since I my backup PSU died I can't RMA this one. So I'm kind of forced to buy a new PSU now.

This time I want something a bit more reliable and quiet, so I was looking at the cooler master V700 which I got recommended. It's seasonic made and supposed to be based on the same platform as the new seasonic X750 and the corsair AX760, but about €30 cheaper. Is this a good buy? Or should I wait for the super flower based psu's that are coming out soon(-ish)?

What about the XFX 750w fully modular Gold? How much is it setting you back where you are, or something from Be Quiet? Also, what system are you looking to power?

I said as much, but that's my own personal list

My bad!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom