• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

buenoblue

Hi guys, great thread. This is a bit delayed because I couldn't post after joining 6 weeks ago. Anyway...

I have a i5 2500k @4.4 and water cooled gtx 480 @900 MHz. Was waiting for gtx 770 to upgrade, but when they arrived were just refreshed 6 series. So my question is would I see the increase in frame rates in the games that need it (crysis 3, metro et al) with a 770 or should I wait till maxwell/8 series for new tech.

Croyles

Quick question guys. PSU with fan facing up or fan facing down? (The PSU is at the bottom)

I have installed it with the fan facing down after doing a quick google search and most people say either way is ok, but I want your input.

mkenyon

Banned
Since you've waited this long, seems like 780 or 8 series would be your best bet, unless you absolutely want more performance now.

If your budget isn't tight, could grab a 770 now and then resell it upon new cards releasing. Also have a 7970 Lightning w/ EK block I'll be looking to offload soon, if you are interested.
Quick question guys. PSU with fan facing up or fan facing down? (The PSU is at the bottom)

I have installed it with the fan facing down after doing a quick google search and most people say either way is ok, but I want your input.
It seriously doesn't matter at all. As long as it can breathe, you're fine.

Jeb

So I've been looking around for lower profile ram and I was going to get this:
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-Desktop-Memory-CML16GX3M2A1600C10/dp/B007TG8QRW/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t
But the reviews are saying that its misleading and its 1300mhz instead of the 1600mhz it advertised, so I looked around a bit more and found this:
http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Ballistix-PC3-12800-240-Pin-BLS2CP8G3D1609DS1S00/dp/B006YG9EEW/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1375483505&sr=8-14&keywords=16+gb+ram

Users vouch that it does as advertised, your thoughts Gaf, will it fit me or is there an issue there as well?

kharma45

Down so it can suck cool air in and then blow it out.

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-Desktop-Memory-CML16GX3M2A1600C10/dp/B007TG8QRW/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t
But the reviews are saying that its misleading and its 1300mhz instead of the 1600mhz it advertised, so I looked around a bit more and found this:
http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Ballistix-PC3-12800-240-Pin-BLS2CP8G3D1609DS1S00/dp/B006YG9EEW/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1375483505&sr=8-14&keywords=16+gb+ram

Users vouch that it does as advertised, your thoughts Gaf, will it fit me or is there an issue there as well?

It is 1600MHz, it just needs enabled in the BIOS via XMP otherwise it defaults to 1333.

mkenyon

Banned

Either is fine.

All RAM is set at 1300MHz default with Intel chips. You need to set them to 1600MHz by enabling XMP Profile. The bad reviews are just bad at computers.

*edit* so beat

Croyles

It seriously doesn't matter at all. As long as it can breathe, you're fine.

Thanks man! I've mounted everything into my case and now just need to connect the rest of the cables. I've already connected both the motherboard power cables, and the smaller one was a bitch to reach when feeding the cable around the back, but I managed somehow.

CPU was piss easy to install but I had a bit of a scare with my enourmos heatsink and the plate that holds it on the top side of the motherboard, but managed after a *sweaty* while.

Should be completely finished tomorrow afternoon! :D

Here she is :)

dsc_003526uto.jpg

Seriously. On my first day I was running BioShock Infinite like a dream. Amazing graphics, unstoppable framerate, the works. Now the I can't get past the 2K logo without the game stuttering.

The only difference I can think of is I'm now have my monitor and TV hooked up as opposed to just my TV. Google is saying that shouldn't matter.

Instro

So I'm trying to update the bios on my z87-g45. I have the file i need on a usb, I go to the m-flash function, but then when I actually try to update it just freezes up after I select the file on my usb. What's the deal? Should I just use the LIVE update thing? Although that seems a little sketchy.

No answers?

Anton668

He claims he didnt drop it :S

well, then it had to come from somewhere. Though from the pics you posted, im not sure it would have come from where you ended up putting it.

go through and see if anything seems loose? see if maybe there looks like a screw missing elsewhere? up load better pic/angle of where you did place it?

What's the proper procedure for completely uninstalling Nvidia drivers? I'm having some issues with the newest beta drivers (326.41) and I would like to go back to the most recent non-beta ones.

It's weird, I've never had any issues with any other GPU driver before but this one is giving me all sorts of grief. My third display input is suddenly not recognised at all, games are basically guaranteed to crash if I change the resolution while in-game, and Photoshop is not displaying images as smoothly as it did before.

maneil99

well, then it had to come from somewhere. Though from the pics you posted, im not sure it would have come from where you ended up putting it.

go through and see if anything seems loose? see if maybe there looks like a screw missing elsewhere? up load better pic/angle of where you did place it?
Makes sense if its a gpu screw because he had to reinstall my 680 a few months ago and had to change the slot and unscrew the back covers. Does it look like a motherboard or cooler screw?

Isaccard

I realize this isn't the most appropriate question considering the nature of the thread, but I figure it's relevant that it's not utterly off-topic.

Anyhow, could anyone confirm whether or not the ASUS VG23AH is a wise purchase for primarily console gaming? I'll be dedicating one of my monitors to the PC and the other to consoles for ease of use and multitasking.

Thanks in advance!

I just ordered one myself yesterday for this very purpose and as a secondary monitor. It should serve you just fine.

longdi

Banned
i agree, get low profile ram, it is practical and the in thing now. Those heatspreaders dont do much, just to obstruct your heat sink.

I like Seasonic G550 over BP550. Aside from Gold efficiency, seasonic has rather good warranty and the build of their PSU and cables feels great your hands. Wont go for other brands unless Seasonic quality goes downhill.

If i were you, i will just bite the bullet and get Haswell. Prices have stablised to be around the same. The overclocking and heat is the same as IB, in fact people have tested it to be more stable with WHEA errors than IB.

The only problem i can see with a Haswell setup is the USB3 sleep bug, not sure if the batch of motherboards have included the revision.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
i agree, get low profile ram, it is practical and the in thing now. Those heatspreaders dont do much, just to obstruct your heat sink.
Yes
I like Seasonic G550 over BP550. Aside from Gold efficiency, seasonic has rather good warranty and the build of their PSU and cables feels great your hands. Wont go for other brands unless Seasonic quality goes downhill.
Yup, it can be on sale for the same price.
If i were you, i will just bite the bullet and get Haswell. Prices have stablised to be around the same. The overclocking and heat is the same as IB, in fact people have tested it to be more stable with WHEA errors than IB.
I WANNA SEE THE RECEIPTS

Sothpaw

Guys is there a reason why Blood Dragon causes my fans to get super loud? No other game I have played on my brand new PC does this. I have beaten Mass Effect 3, Far Cry 2, Human Revolution and Mass Effect 1 since I built my PC about a month ago.

The fans start going even before I get in the game. They start going faster at the title screen.

Specs:
4770k - coolermaster 212 evo
7970ghz
16gb corsair veng

frogg609

I ordered the CM Storm Quickfire XT. I'm loving the red Cherry switches. However, none of the reviews I saw discussed about how short the <CTRL> keys are. In making this keyboard compact, a key that I use very often is now really difficult to use, (keep hitting the Windows key to the right of it).

Going to try it for a few days and see if I can get used to it. If I can't, then I'm going to return it and go with the Corsair K70.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Guys is there a reason why Blood Dragon causes my fans to get super loud? No other game I have played on my brand new PC does this. I have beaten Mass Effect 3, Far Cry 2, Human Revolution and Mass Effect 1 since I built my PC about a month ago.

The fans start going even before I get in the game. They start going faster at the title screen.

Specs:
4770k - coolermaster 212 evo
7970ghz
16gb corsair veng
See:
Cap your framerate in your drivers to 60 or 120 or 144. Your GPU is rending menus at 500+ FPS and it's causing whine.
Specs? I wanna build something very similar
BitFenix Prodigy
ASUS ITX
XFX PRO 550W
ASUS... GTX760 / 770?

maneil99

Does anyone have a haf912 or know if motherboard screws look different then regular screws. I found a loose screw and im going crazy figuring out where its from

snack

Okay, so I started up my computer from a cold boot just now and there was no display on my monitor. Fans were running though. A reset gave me display again and everything boot up fine.

Question is, what was the problem? This is a new build I just did.

iavi

Seriously. On my first day I was running BioShock Infinite like a dream. Amazing graphics, unstoppable framerate, the works. Now the I can't get past the 2K logo without the game stuttering.

The only difference I can think of is I'm now have my monitor and TV hooked up as opposed to just my TV. Google is saying that shouldn't matter.

AMD? Your card is probably downclocking/locking up. Check GPUz on the second screen while running some benchmark. If so, make sure you're on the latest drivers, then OC using the catalyst control panel overdrive settings.

That's what did it for me, and was the only way I could get settings to stick. Otherwise, my 7950 would go into this throttling frenzy with one monitor, and just lock itself at 500mhz with two.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Will that fix the problem considering that fans are still super loud even when playing the game, not just in the menus?

Er...how would I do that btw? Somewhere in the Catalyst control center?
If it's also in game, then make a custom fan profile in MSI Afterburner!

Mad Max

What about the XFX 750w fully modular Gold? How much is it setting you back where you are, or something from Be Quiet? Also, what system are you looking to power?

The XFX is more expensive here then all of those, so that's a no-go. Bequiet is sold here but the dark power units are also a bit more expensive.

My system is:

4670k @ 4.8
HD7950 @ 1200/1600
Gigabyte z87x-UD4H
D5 pump
1xHDD, 1xSSD
5xScyte GT AP-15 + 1xFractal 140mm fan

So 650W should be enough. But the seasonic made units in the 750W and 850W categories seem to be the best, so I thought I'd go with one of those.

longdi

Banned
4670k is the same price as 3570k at amazon. no contest, get the haswell here.

pair with something like msi gaming g45 z87 and you are set. haswell build wins in all quarters aside the usb3 sleep bug.

overclockers are reporting haswell throws up much less whea errors than ivy at the same overclock levels. both systems will get you to 4.4ghz at 1.2-1.24v, safe levels all round.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom