• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks bros, went ahead and just installed my 212 again. Ill mess around with fan settings on it to see if I can get it to be a little quieter.

The RAM I had a price alert on when down and I just bought 24GB of RAM to max out my current 8GB to 32GB. I was intending to just buy 8GB more. I was weak. *cries*

ArynCrinn

Banned
I don't care much about noise since I only use my A50 headset for audio these days. My Six-Core/Tr-SLI Titan Rig with it's 190cfm exhaust fan, sounds like a Mustang being fired up. I love it!

Zaph

Thanks bros, went ahead and just installed my 212 again. Ill mess around with fan settings on it to see if I can get it to be a little quieter.
FWIW, when I went from an old Noctua to the H60, I noticed idle temps were a bit higher (but not as high yours). After a bit of googling, seems all-in-ones run a bit hotter at idle compared to good air coolers, plus idle temps aren't always accurately reported.

Azulsky

FWIW, when I went from an old Noctua to the H60, I noticed idle temps were a bit higher (but not as high yours). After a bit of googling, seems all-in-ones run a bit hotter at idle compared to good air coolers, plus idle temps aren't always accurately reported.

The Thermocouple is under the socket so some software is reporting that and some is reporting another temperature that attempts to be a better guess.

This is why you see some review sites mill the IHS to squeeze in thermocouples that measure right at the die.

Pictar

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yikes, so I installed an H60 to replaced my 212 in my never ending quest to make my computer silent. Is there supposed to be a pretty audible humming noise coming from the pump? Pretty annoying. Also, I can't remember the temps I was getting with my 212, but temps now are at 45-50 degrees idles, which I'm pretty sure is shit.

e: 2600k oc'd to 4.5ghz, but haven't even tried to do something CPU intensive
Idle can be higher, and yes you'll have to deal with the pump noise.

Differences between low/medium water and a CM 212 aren't worth the price difference for performance imo. Looks are another matter. Silence goes to air because you can choose your fan noise.

Make sure pump is not fan controlled and is running 100% speed.
Why not Shin Etsu, man.... WHY?

I've achieved a solid 4.8GHz with stable 65-68 highest temps without delidding on a 2600K, 2700K, and my two 3770K's. Just using good case ventilation, and lapped Shin Etsu with a Hydro H110. I might try out delidding at some point but at this stage I'm getting low temps anyway without it.
Could buy it on Amazon for $9 and I wanted to see the little spatula. It's good paste from what I've seen and I doubt the differences are more than 1-2C if that.

What are you using to get your load temps and what fans / speed are you running?

ArynCrinn

Banned
I

Could buy it on Amazon for $9 and I wanted to see the little spatula. It's good paste from what I've seen and I doubt the differences are more than 1-2C if that.

What are you using to get your load temps and what fans / speed are you running?

When I'm testing out the OC's I use OCCT/Prime95/RealTemp to test load temps. Once I'm certain it's stable I just use RealTemp.

And my fans (on nearly all my machines) are a plethora of LED 120mm fans where ever I can put them, calulating it push/pull and all. Then my H110 fans are set at around 70-75% speed through bios, and I haven't needed to raise them any higher. My H100i speeds are set at 80%. And all of the liquid CPU coolers I use the push/pull on both fans. My 190cfm fan of course runs at 100% speed all the time and sounds like a jet turbine.

kennah

IMG_8160.jpg
So pretty

ArynCrinn

Banned
Post a pic!

Of what the loads, or actual Tri-SLI connection. Kind of busy atm fidgeting with something on this water cooling setup. But when I get done I'll try to remember to post them, or after work tomorrow. But that's sort of a "Post Your Setup" jerkoff thread, which I usually don't get into. I just like to talk shop is all. :)

BTW, has anybody been approved for the new EVGA SLI connectors promo?

ArynCrinn

Banned
Aren't socket 2011 = X79 MBs?

Yeah...I guess so. Learned something new today. :p

I was obviously missing something. All I know is I bought a LGA 2011 Asus mobo for my Sandy Bridge six-core.

So...facepalm, or whatever meme applies.

But I thought it was referring to my new Sabertooth board. Need sleep badly...

Smokey

if i was still about that SLI life i'd probably get those new EVGA Pro sli bridges because...why not.

look kind of sweet

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Of what the loads, or actual Tri-SLI connection. Kind of busy atm fidgeting with something on this water cooling setup. But when I get done I'll try to remember to post them, or after work tomorrow. But that's sort of a "Post Your Setup" jerkoff thread, which I usually don't get into. I just like to talk shop is all. :)

BTW, has anybody been approved for the new EVGA SLI connectors promo?

Usually people post pics after they finish building. Just post a quick smartphone pic of your SLI set up. Also love to see a pic of your 4 Titans together.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Is this heatsink (hyper 212) fucked? See the indentations? They were there when I took it off my old 2500K...

heatsink.jpg
Haven't seen this before. As long as the heatpipes are intact there shouldn't be a problem, though with the minimal mounting pressure of the 212 it's surprising that happened.
Lapped + H110 with push/pull at 80% fan speed.
Still have to have good chips to do that though.

kharma45

mkenyon, question for you. Was helping my cousin choose parts for his new PC and we went with the 3770K and the ASUS LK motherboard. He wanted to re-use his Zalman Resorator for cooling (this thing below), think it'll do a decent job for OCing?

That's presuming the mount for 1155 he ordered works.

nerv

Alright guys I have a question:

What's the point in getting a motherboard that's more expensive than the ASRock Extreme4 or the MSI Gaming G45 if you do not intend to do serious overclocking on multiple components of your computer? CPU overclocking seems to be no problem on "budget" mainboards.

I won't use the extra I/O slots so I just want to know if there is another reason to spend over 200 dollars on a motherboard other than that.

Also here is my latest iteration of my current build if someone wants to leave some feedback on my hardware choices:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.08 @ TigerDirect)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($164.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Silverstone FT02B-W ATX Mid Tower Case ($214.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1483.99
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-15 13:24 EDT-0400)

Okay trying to see if I can try to track down my problem. My PC is loading up increadibly slow but once it does stuff runs just fine. Then random things take forever to load (like dota? wtf). And I also have just random hiccups where it freezes for 5 seconds then back to running like butter. What could it be? I don't download much of anything and running a couple scans didn't find a virus.

kharma45

Alright guys I have a question:

What's the point in getting a motherboard that's more expensive than the ASRock Extreme4 or the MSI Gaming G45 if you do not intend to do serious overclocking on multiple components of your computer? CPU overclocking seems to be no problem on "budget" mainboards.

I won't use the extra I/O slots so I just want to know if there is another reason to spend over 200 dollars on a motherboard other than that.

Also here is my latest iteration of my current build if someone wants to leave some feedback on my hardware choices:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.08 @ TigerDirect)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($164.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Silverstone FT02B-W ATX Mid Tower Case ($214.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1483.99
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-15 13:24 EDT-0400)

There isn't much, the G45 Gaming is all the board most people will ever need. Swap that ASRock to it. Swap to the EVGA ACX 770 http://us.ncix.com/products/?usaffi...=02G-P4-2774-KR&manufacture=eVGA&promoid=1195 and change the HDDs to WD Blue's http://us.ncix.com/products/?usaffi...X&manufacture=Western Digital WD&promoid=1195

You could also change the PSU to this to save cash http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151119

Seems an awful lot of money for that cooler, case seems expensive too. Would a Hyper 212 not do for the cooler?

Okay trying to see if I can try to track down my problem. My PC is loading up increadibly slow but once it does stuff runs just fine. Then random things take forever to load (like dota? wtf). And I also have just random hiccups where it freezes for 5 seconds then back to running like butter. What could it be? I don't download much of anything and running a couple scans didn't find a virus.

Are you using an HDD?

Willectro

Banned
Yikes, so I installed an H60 to replaced my 212 in my never ending quest to make my computer silent. Is there supposed to be a pretty audible humming noise coming from the pump? Pretty annoying. Also, I can't remember the temps I was getting with my 212, but temps now are at 45-50 degrees idles, which I'm pretty sure is shit.

e: 2600k oc'd to 4.5ghz, but haven't even tried to do something CPU intensive

I don't have the h60 (I have the h100i), but in my experience the pump is more audible on certain rpm settings. When mine is on the lowest setting I can faintly hear it, medium barely at all, and on high I can't hear it over the fans lol.

If silence is your goal, I'm not sure if this will be the way to achieve it. Then again, I'm not sure if overclocking and silent builds typically go hand in hand. I could be wrong though.

maverick40

Oh my. I would buy just to have it at that price. Someone else can comment on its performance. Probably nothing special in gaming, but it is 6 cores at normal CPU price. Should overclock like crazy too, so buy buy.

Cool Cheers, I can get all this stuff at nice price due to staff discount so I can't wait to build my rig

kharma45

Oh my. I would buy just to have it at that price. Someone else can comment on its performance. Probably nothing special in gaming, but it is 6 cores at normal CPU price. Should overclock like crazy too, so buy buy.

Hell you could even just sell it for a profit too.

Cool Cheers, I can get all this stuff at nice price due to staff discount so I can't wait to build my rig

Or not.

Still, hell of a price on it. Defs get it.

nerv

There isn't much, the G45 Gaming is all the board most people will ever need. Swap that ASRock to it. Swap to the EVGA ACX 770 http://us.ncix.com/products/?usaffi...=02G-P4-2774-KR&manufacture=eVGA&promoid=1195 and change the HDDs to WD Blue's http://us.ncix.com/products/?usaffi...X&manufacture=Western Digital WD&promoid=1195

You could also change the PSU to this to save cash http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151119

Seems an awful lot of money for that cooler, case seems expensive too. Would a Hyper 212 not do for the cooler?

I'll swap out out the HDDs, graphics card and PSU (I'll never get dual GPUs for now anyway). Thanks.
Is there a huge plus that sets the G45 Gaming apart from the Asrock? The headphone amp seems nice but that's basically it, right? The huge dragon print bothers me slightly having a case with a window and all.

Haswell seems to run rather hot and I'd like to get decent overclocking on my CPU. Is there a big difference between how high you can push your chip with a Hyper 212 and one of the more high tier air coolers like the Noctua, Silver Arrow or the one I chose? All of these three seem to do really well in benchmarks and tend to be comparable to stock CLCs.

The case is mostly an optical choice as well. I couldn't really find a decent non-gamer looking case below 200 dollars that has a window and a more high quality feel to it. I liked both the Corsair Obsidian series (350D, 650D) from the outside and the NZXT cases from the inside, but not vice versa and the FT02 seems like a huge step up in build quality, layout and overall aesthetics without being to flashy. The Define R4 was another option, but the FT02 is really tempting me right now because it looks really nice and pretty much has all I want out of a case on top of great cooling out of the box. I'm still a bit torn and not ultimately decided on the case if someone has suggestions that fit my needs apart from the mentioned cases.

kharma45

I'll swap out out the HDDs, graphics card and PSU (I'll never get dual GPUs for now anyway). Thanks.
Is there a huge plus that sets the G45 Gaming apart from the Asrock? The headphone amp seems nice but that's basically it, right? The huge dragon print bothers me slightly having a case with a window and all.

Haswell seems to run rather hot and I'd like to get decent overclocking on my CPU. Is there a big difference between how high you can push your chip with a Hyper 212 and one of the more high tier air coolers like the Noctua, Silver Arrow or the one I chose? All of these three seem to do really well in benchmarks and tend to be comparable to stock CLCs.

The case is mostly an optical choice as well. I couldn't really find a decent non-gamer looking case below 200 dollars that has a window and a more high quality feel to it. I liked both the Corsair Obsidian series (350D, 650D) from the outside and the NZXT cases from the inside, but not vice versa and the FT02 seems like a huge step up in build quality, layout and overall aesthetics without being to flashy. The Define R4 was another option, but the FT02 is really tempting me right now because it looks really nice and pretty much has all I want out of a case on top of great cooling out of the box. I'm still a bit torn and not ultimately decided on the case if someone has suggestions that fits my needs apart from the mentioned cases.

ASRock lied about their Z77 Extreme4 so I'm still hesitant over the new one. It'll not be a bad board though. Case yeah is generally a personal preference, just thought I'd suggest something cheaper.

Yeah with Haswell you're hugely heat limited, you might get a marginally better OC with that CPU but it's not guaranteed and the price difference is pretty sizeable.

tilting_msh

Neo Member
Hey guys, just about to finish buying everything for my gaming build, but I've run into a bit of a dilemma. I was originally planning on going with an i5-3570k & Asus P8Z77-V LK combo, based off the OP builds. However, right as I was about to buy, I noticed I can get an i5 4670k for the same price as the 3570k, and there are a few Gigabyte motherboards on sale that would actually make it cheaper for me to go Haswell (I think).

Would something like this: http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=84042&vpn=GA-Z87X-UD3H&manufacture=Gigabyte&promoid=1195 be roughly equivalent to the P8Z77-V Lk in the Ivy build? This is hurting my brain...is it easier just to stick with the Ivy build?

Here's what I've bought so far:

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (White) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor
Keyboard: Ducky DK9087S2 Shine II Wired Standard Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G700 Wireless Laser Mouse

And I'm buying these in the next few days:

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk - soon as it's available
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card

Addnan

The Z77 equivalent to that motherboard is pretty good, would assume the Z87 is just as. If you are set on Haswell go for it. Just no that if you want any high levels of overclock you will run into heat issues.

Get a wired mouse!!

tilting_msh

Neo Member
Yeah, I wasn't planning any serious overclocks whatsoever. If/when I get around to it, would be a mild OC at best. Is the board overkill if I'm not planning anything extreme?

And it's not so much that I was set on Haswell, just when it works out cheaper to go Haswell over Ivy it feels like a no-brainer to me. Or maybe not?

Lol call me crazy but I just can't go back to a wired mouse. We'll see how it goes though, I did consider it.

Willectro

Banned
The Z77 equivalent to that motherboard is pretty good, would assume the Z87 is just as. If you are set on Haswell go for it. Just no that if you want any high levels of overclock you will run into heat issues.

Get a wired mouse!!

Haswell is beastly, minimal overclocking required.

Addnan

Haswell is beastly, minimal overclocking required.
eh. In what? Every benchmark shows minimal to no improvement in gaming.
Yeah, I wasn't planning any serious overclocks whatsoever. If/when I get around to it, would be a mild OC at best. Is the board overkill if I'm not planning anything extreme?

And it's not so much that I was set on Haswell, just when it works out cheaper to go Haswell over Ivy it feels like a no-brainer to me. Or maybe not?

Lol call me crazy but I just can't go back to a wired mouse. We'll see how it goes though, I did consider it.

If you don't want to really OC and the price is cheaper sure go for haswell. That board is at a nice price after rebate. Average board would cost about that much so stick with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom