• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
8 GB memory is only overkill if you don't use it :p

I already ran out of memory twice on my 12 GB system. I'll go 16 at least when I upgrade (would have preferred 32, but not with the recent uptick in memory prices).

I have 16. It's great, I never have to worry about running out of memory and I can multitask all the live long day with all my games open and so forth.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Ok I kinda have to use this thread for my PC problem as I can't make new threads so i apologise but was wondering if you guys could help.

Can you bring it to a friend/work and hook it up there and see if it runs without issues?
Sounds like a power stability problem in your electrical system and your PC shuts itself off to prevent going the fried way, but obviously I'm hard guessing from just reading a post about your problem. Have you ever had an electrical component p/TV/receiver/etc go cookoo, like powering on/off with clicking sounds, or do you often see the lights in your house go dim/bright?

TheD

The Detective
Ok, so it seems to downclock to 1375 (5500 quad data rate) when flash is playing a video and will not upclock till flash is gone.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Slightly hardware/slightly game related but This is an issue I'm having with Stalker and I'm not sure what is causing it. Has anyone here had this happen to them and what did you do to fix it? Going into areas with fire is really jarring since Stalker is butter-smooth until I hit those areas. :/

zoku88

8 GB memory is only overkill if you don't use it :p

I already ran out of memory twice on my 12 GB system. I'll go 16 at least when I upgrade (would have preferred 32, but not with the recent uptick in memory prices).

I've had bad swapping on my machine with 16GB :p

Trying to compile firefox with flto, which is probably unnecessary. The compile failed anway.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Getting there....

PbCwEk0.png

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Nice temps for 4.8GHz! What cooler are you using?
Used Kraken X60 at 25% fan speed (2x Stock NZXT 140mm Push) + Delidded and lapped 3770K with Phobya HeGrease. 21C Ambient.

Differences between 25% and 55% (Fans pulse above that) are pretty minimal, about 2-4C. Above that it's another 1-3C gain and not worth it for noise. So far I've been pleased with 25% speed performance and I haven't fully tweaked the OC yet.
I might pickup some nicer 140mm fans, but honestly I'm cheap and these are doing a fantastic job so far at the noise levels that are good.

Been a long time since I really overclocked something. I think I've had about 24 BSOD's now. 3/4 of those to get 4700 stable, but only 1/4 to get what I hope 4800 stable. Bonus points for me staying within Intel's max spec'd voltages :D
*Worried what will happen when I decide to bump up my memory, I think the IMC on the chip is super sensitive, but I'm not 100% sure what is affecting what yet on OC stability.

My local store has reduced prices on their 7000 GPUs, and I'm about to pull the trigger. Not sure whether the GHz edition is worthwhile over the standard 7970.
GHz is AU$469
Standard is AU$409

Is the GHz worthwhile? Can I just get a standard card and OC to GHz clocks or are the GHz cards better quality to reach those clocks?

kharma45

That's the one you built for your father in law, right? Nice.

Wow wow wow, he's not my father in law yet :p

My local store has reduced prices on their 7000 GPUs, and I'm about to pull the trigger. Not sure whether the GHz edition is worthwhile over the standard 7970.
GHz is AU$469
Standard is AU$409

Is the GHz worthwhile? Can I just get a standard card and OC to GHz clocks or are the GHz cards better quality to reach those clocks?

GHz cards might be slightly higher binned but I'd be extremely surprised if the normal ones didn't OC the same. They're not worth the extra cash.

TheD

The Detective
So I now know why a lot of people hate vsync........ they own fucking AMD cards!

Nothing like getting massive micro stutter in games like FC3 BD when your older nvidia card that is barely over half as fast has no problem at all!
Even with BD's options set to 5 frames render ahead or vsync set in Radeon Pro.

Thanks AMD for getting my hopes for a cheap(ish) and powerful card up, only to crush them due to your driver team's stupidity!

velociraptor

Guys, what laptop is better?
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/comput...15r-5521-15-6-laptop-silver-21427855-pdt.html

vs

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/comput...n-15-e092ea-15-6-laptop-red-21449714-pdt.html

My dad wants to buy a laptop for work and his budget is around about £400-430. I've found these two - they look good on paper, but not sure what is better.

If it's any help, he uses Autocad (Architecture). Currently he has a really old Dell Inspiron 17 but he's going to give that to my younger brother.

Zaph

I'd go with the Dell i3. Recently bought my Mum a Lenovo i3 laptop (and threw in my old SSD) and its very snappy.

However, might be worth checking how well (if at all) Autocad utilises the APU on the AMD machine.

I got play around with Bioshock Infinite and BF3 on ultra settings at 1080p last night. It was glorious.

I need some recommendations on a good gaming mouse though. What does everyone think is a good mouse for someone who plays mostly FPS or RTS games?

I don't want something cheap but I don't want anything too pricey either. I just want something responsive.

Addnan

I got play around with Bioshock Infinite and BF3 on ultra settings at 1080p last night. It was glorious.

I need some recommendations on a good gaming mouse though. What does everyone think is a good mouse for someone who plays mostly FPS or RTS games?

I don't want something cheap but I don't want anything too pricey either. I just want something responsive.

Check OP. The Steelseries Sensei RAW is a really nice mouse with good sensor. Works with all grip types. Otherwise the two CM in the OP are pretty good too. i use the Xornet. It's for claw grip though.

Check OP. The Steelseries Sensei RAW is a really nice mouse with good sensor. Works with all grip types. Otherwise the two CM in the OP are pretty good too. i use the Xornet. It's for claw grip though.

Yea, I saw the ones in the OP. Just wanted to see what others preferences were.

Lombax

Banned
I am looking form some advice in terms of if i should build something new or just upgrade.

My current rig:
Current Specs: CPU: AMD Phenom II 955 black edition 3.2ghz / RAM 4 gigs GSkill DDR3 / Motherboard: Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P / GPU: Radeon 5770 / PSU: 750w
Budget: 600.00 for the upgrade, if its a new build I'll need to save up a bit more
Main Use: Gaming
Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080 I am planning on buying a new monitor at some point.
Looking to reuse any parts?: I can reuse the powersupply and mobo if there is a proc that would fit.
When will you build?: Within the next month or so.
Will you be overclocking?: No.

Mainly I wanted to ask if anyone could suggest an upgrade path or a good place to start. If not, I can just wait a bit longer and save up more money for a new build.

Thanks for your time.

./Lombax

mkenyon

Banned
I need a new mouse too. I'm thinking of getting that corsair mostly because I hate the feel of rubber.
Sensei standard or Sensei Raw Glossy aren't rubberized.

The M65 does feel really nice, but it has pretty heavy native acceleration.
I am looking form some advice in terms of if i should build something new or just upgrade.

My current rig:
Current Specs: CPU: AMD Phenom II 955 black edition 3.2ghz / RAM 4 gigs GSkill DDR3 / Motherboard: Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P / GPU: Radeon 5770 / PSU: 750w
Budget: 600.00 for the upgrade, if its a new build I'll need to save up a bit more
Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080 I am planning on buying a new monitor at some point.
Looking to reuse any parts?: I can reuse the powersupply and mobo if there is a proc that would fit.

Mainly I wanted to ask if anyone could suggest an upgrade path or a good place to start. If not, I can just wait a bit longer and save up more money for a new build.

Thanks for your time.

./Lombax
Upgrade the videocard, but at some point the motherboard/processor will need to be swapped out to really make your system shine. I'd say go ahead and get something like a GTX760/770 or 7950/7970, and then save up to replace the rest.

Lombax

Banned
Upgrade the videocard, but at some point the motherboard/processor will need to be swapped out to really make your system shine. I'd say go ahead and get something like a GTX760/770 or 7950/7970, and then save up to replace the rest.

Thank you for the advice. After looking over one of the builds in the OP I decided to put together this build seems like for an extra $251.00 I can just build a new rig.

Does that build seem ok?

kharma45

My current rig:

Thanks for your time.

./Lombax

Sensei standard or Sensei Raw Glossy aren't rubberized.

The M65 does feel really nice, but it has pretty heavy native acceleration.

And in the mean time if you don't have a good cooler on your CPU get a Hyper 212 and overclock your Phenom up to near 4 GHz or so.

SGRU

If I'm looking for the best quality, and the most durable and reliable system, should I go with 2011 or is OK to save some money in a 1150? Are the 2011 motherboards built with better materials?

Thanks!

kennah

If I'm looking for the best quality, and the most durable and reliable system, should I go with 2011 or is OK to save some money in a 1150? Are the 2011 motherboards built with better materials?

Thanks!

Non-issue now. Yes this used to be a problem in the past, but those companies are no longer in business/everything is so cheap now and the sockets change so fast it's all disposable.

If you're really worried about it and want a good indicator - look at motherboards that have a 5 year warranty versus a 3 year warranty. I know the Sabertooth series does this, and probably some others too.

mkenyon

Banned

Thanks!
2011 motherboards are meant for multimedia creation/workstations or just beast machines. They have a number of features that help that sort of thing which are not found on the 1155/1150 motherboards, and house a different processor line. Quality wise, they're as hit-and-miss as any other.

Quake1028

Helped my co-worker put together a gaming rig for his son:

Intel Core i5-3570K
ASUS Maximus V Gene (free from work)
Corsair TX-650 (free from me)
Corsair XMS3 8 GB
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
WD Blue 1 TB
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit
Asus BD-ROM (I tried)
Xigmatek ASGARD
EVGA GTX760 SC w/ ACX Cooler
Asus VS247H-P

I think he's going to be really happy. Came out to under $950 after the rebate for the monitor.

Helped my co-worker put together a gaming rig for his son:

Intel Core i5-3570K
ASUS Maximus V Gene (free from work)
Corsair TX-650 (free from me)
Corsair XMS3 8 GB
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
WD Blue 1 TB
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit
Asus BD-ROM (I tried)
Xigmatek ASGARD
EVGA GTX760 SC w/ ACX Cooler
Asus VS247H-P

I think he's going to be really happy. Came out to under $950 after the rebate for the monitor.

A new member for the Master Race. Fantastic!

Yikes, so I installed an H60 to replaced my 212 in my never ending quest to make my computer silent. Is there supposed to be a pretty audible humming noise coming from the pump? Pretty annoying. Also, I can't remember the temps I was getting with my 212, but temps now are at 45-50 degrees idles, which I'm pretty sure is shit.

e: 2600k oc'd to 4.5ghz, but haven't even tried to do something CPU intensive

mkenyon

Banned
Yikes, so I installed an H60 to replaced my 212 in my never ending quest to make my computer silent. Is there supposed to be a pretty audible humming noise coming from the pump? Pretty annoying. Also, I can't remember the temps I was getting with my 212, but temps now are at 45-50 degrees idles, which I'm pretty sure is shit.

Make sure the header for the pump is plugged directly into power, not into your motherboard.

Azulsky

Also might be the case that you arent getting enough pressure on the CPU. There are washer mods that help with this.

I have never had the issue but it has been reported.

Zaph

Yeah, the H60 pump does have a little hum. It's not loud, but it's at a slightly annoying pitch, noticeable if your PC is close and the other fans are at low RPM.

As above, if you don't have a pwr_fan header, grab a molex -> fan adaptor for the pump.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Used Kraken X60 at 25% fan speed (2x Stock NZXT 140mm Push) + Delidded and lapped 3770K with Phobya HeGrease. 21C Ambient.

Differences between 25% and 55% (Fans pulse above that) are pretty minimal, about 2-4C. Above that it's another 1-3C gain and not worth it for noise. So far I've been pleased with 25% speed performance and I haven't fully tweaked the OC yet.
I might pickup some nicer 140mm fans, but honestly I'm cheap and these are doing a fantastic job so far at the noise levels that are good.

Been a long time since I really overclocked something. I think I've had about 24 BSOD's now. 3/4 of those to get 4700 stable, but only 1/4 to get what I hope 4800 stable. Bonus points for me staying within Intel's max spec'd voltages :D
*Worried what will happen when I decide to bump up my memory, I think the IMC on the chip is super sensitive, but I'm not 100% sure what is affecting what yet on OC stability.

Why not Shin Etsu, man.... WHY?

I've achieved a solid 4.8GHz with stable 65-68 highest temps without delidding on a 2600K, 2700K, and my two 3770K's. Just using good case ventilation, and lapped Shin Etsu with a Hydro H110. I might try out delidding at some point but at this stage I'm getting low temps anyway without it.

On another note, finished my closed case water cooling system! Up to, again, a stable 4.8GHz Haswell highest load was 63 on three cores, and 61 on another. Ambient teeters between 12c-18c depending on what Windows is doing. My ambient room temp is 74 degrees.

Oh, and btw to the guy who was asking and saying Tri-SLI wouldn't work on this mobo...it does. With a 3-way EVGA SLI connector all three 780's come up recognized and are under use during loads.

mkenyon

Banned
Unfortunately SkinneeLabs has closed down, but Phobya HeGrease was the king. Beat out everything other than Indigo in just about every test.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Unfortunately SkinneeLabs has closed down, but Phobya HeGrease was the king. Beat out everything other than Indigo in just about every test.

I've read recent reviews that Shin Etsu still beats it for a variety of CPU's. I have both HeGrease and Etsu and in my tests Etsu beats it every time. And SkinneeLabs was in 2011. :p

I even got a Indigo Extreme Thermal Interface for LGA 1155, but haven't used it yet.

Edit: I might buy the Indigo Extreme for LGA 2011, and use it for my six-core Sandy Bridge setup. I've already got it at a stable 4.8GHz, anybody think Indigo could allow for a retarded push into 5GHz territory with 68c highest temps?

Coldsnap

Oops. Replying to the guy with the h60.

Ah, thought you were being a smart ass :p

Did you have an H60? You mentioned something about a pump noise too. Which is weird because my H100i pump doesn't make any noise, it's just the fans that are a sound variable in my setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom