• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbthedude

Try it with the video card in.

My computer runs fine with the 1 hr test

So then we tried using the Power supply test on OCCT in Windows 8 and it crashed. I was actually happy about that. I thought maybe we found the problem. So we hooked up a new power supply and ran OCCT power suppy test again it crashed too.

I tried running Furmark and after about 4 minutes it crashed too. With the new power supply in (not the old one)

This is with no videocard in, just one stick of RAM, SSD, motherboard and CPU.

Someone told me that OCCT running for an hour should suffice for both CPU and Mem test check to indicate I have no major errors in either area. So where to go next?

Does this seem like it is pushing toward a motherboard problem? What should I try to find out?

Azulsky

So then we tried using the Power supply test on OCCT in Windows 8 and it crashed. I was actually happy about that. I thought maybe we found the problem. So we hooked up a new power supply and ran OCCT power suppy test again it crashed too.

I tried running Furmark and after about 4 minutes it crashed too. With the new power supply in (not the old one)

This is with no videocard in, just one stick of RAM, SSD, motherboard and CPU.

Someone told me that OCCT running for an hour should suffice for both CPU and Mem test check to indicate I have no major errors in either area. So where to go next?

Does this seem like it is pushing toward a motherboard problem? What should I try to find out?

Yeah this seems like motherboard to me. I would see what kind of warranty, replacement is possible on it, and get it replaced.

nbthedude

Yeah this seems like motherboard to me. I would see what kind of warranty, replacement is possible on it, and get it replaced.

We tried to boot up the Benchmark on Furmark again and it did it instantly this time.

Is there any way to test the motherboard/make sure before trying to send it back?

Azulsky

We tried to boot up the Benchmark on Furmark again and it did it instantly this time.

Is there any way to test the motherboard/make sure before trying to send it back?

The thing is it could just be any one of the many chips that do a bunch of different fuctions on the board, so there is no way of truly knowing. I feel like the problem is isolated enough to be sure.

nbthedude

The thing is it could just be any one of the many chips that do a bunch of different fuctions on the board, so there is no way of truly knowing. I feel like the problem is isolated enough to be sure.

Well he bought the board brand new from New Egg in March so it should still be covered I guess.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Say guys should I wait for later this year for when getting a high end GPU? Money is not a problem but with the new ranges coming shouldn't it be best to wait and see? I've ordered a brand new TV and wish to play games in great 1080p 60 FPS when Witcher 3 comes out and hopefully at max settings. What would you suggest?

SGRU

What about this configuration?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80 92.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($87.13 @ TigerDirect)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($149.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($128.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($135.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($263.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Antec P280 ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 650W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($105.49 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-14D1XT Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional (OEM) (64-bit) ($129.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1446.52
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-18 16:54 EDT-0400)

I want to buy the parts tomorrow or Tuesday the latest, so I can have the PC ready for the weekend, but I don't want to buy it without asking you guys first!

I have a few doubts. Is the CPU cooler a good choice or I can go with something cheaper just fine (not planning OC for now)? The case I want doesn't have frontal fans and I want to add a couple of them. Can you guys recommend me one? Do I have to plug it to the mother board?

Thanks!

Addnan

Power Supply: Corsair Professional 650W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($105.49 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional (OEM) (64-bit) ($129.98 @ Outlet PC)

I want to buy the parts tomorrow or Tuesday the latest, so I can have the PC ready for the weekend, but I don't want to buy it without asking you guys first!

I have a few doubts. Is the CPU cooler a good choice or I can go with something cheaper just fine (not planning OC for now)? The case I want doesn't have frontal fans and I want to add a couple of them. Can you guys recommend me one? Do I have to plug it to the mother board?

Thanks!
Get Samsung 840 or 840 EVO SSD.

Change PSU to Seasonic 550W G Series http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151119

Azulsky

Say guys should I wait for later this year for when getting a high end GPU? Money is not a problem but with the new ranges coming shouldn't it be best to wait and see? I've ordered a brand new TV and wish to play games in great 1080p 60 FPS when Witcher 3 comes out and hopefully at max settings. What would you suggest?

So if you are open to buying an AMD GPU then I would wait. I think they are looking at a early October launch for their new line of video cards.

Nvidia traditionally rolls out new stuff in the spring.

A better question is what games are coming out that you want to play.

I just picked up 780 sli, so no worries from me.

Ieu

Thanks!

If you're not planning to OC right away you can rely on the stock cooler and buy a replacement later.
A core i7 and 16GB seem overkill if you're only gaming. Why not get 2 x 4GB now and then consider getting a matching 2 x 4GB down the road? I'd wager your CPU/GPU will need replacing before you need more than 16GB of RAM!
Are you dead set on having a bluray writer? Unless you plan to be burning off quite a few of them the drive seems a bit of a waste.

I'd recommend taking these savings and doubling the size of the SSD plus a cheap HDD for storage.

nbthedude

Thanks for all your help. I just really really hope this is the realy problem. If has been 4 months and he is ready to just give up.

I really wish we could have come to a more definitive solution before just guessinf that it might be motherboard related. I worry if he gets a new board and this shit still happens.

Azulsky

Thanks for all your help. I just really really hope this is the realy problem. If has been 4 months and he is ready to just give up.

I really wish we could have come to a more definitive solution before just guessinf that it might be motherboard related. I worry if he gets a new board and this shit still happens.

No problem.

I would be completely flabbergasted if a new motherboard didnt fix the issues.

The CPU and RAM work fine. The PSU was isolated. Same with the HDD and GPU. The only culprit is the Mobo.

nbthedude

No problem.

I would be completely flabbergasted if a new motherboard didnt fix the issues.

The CPU and RAM work fine. The PSU was isolated. Same with the HDD and GPU. The only culprit is the Mobo.
Well, the CPU and RAM ran fine when stress testing with OCCT default for an hour.

When I ran the OCCT power test or Furmark (both stress and benchmark) the PC crashed quickly with two different power supplies.

I am not sure what that means.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Do you guys throw away your boxes (HDD, SSD, Processor)?

For my new one that I'm building in October, I'm keeping all of them, including the par that just got delivered recently. Gonna take a family photo before assembly :)
i am lonely

kennah

Sapphire radeon 7850 2gb - $110+shipping. Card only. Worked very well for the past year, but I want to upgrade to 770 SLI. Great for 1080p and overclocks nicely.

Alan Wake CE - $30. I believe the codes are unredeemed.

Chrono Trigger DS - $15

Message me for more info or pics.

Thanks!
Not a bad deal from the bst thread

I kept everything except the box for my computer case since it was too big. It comes in handy if you ever have to RMA, sell your used parts, or in my case, when I move to California I'll have boxes to pack the parts that I take off for the shipment.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Anyone here run AIDA64 benchmarks?

I tried my older version here but have since upgraded. The scores seem to be lopsided so I'm sure the older one wasn't tuned for my CPU but the numbers were quite surprising....

Before
aida646wu6q.png

After (newer version)
capture80kia.png

I should note that the OC on the bottom has 9-10-10-21 2t timings. Would that be affecting my latency a bit? I should go back and lower them if that's the case.

I have a Hackintosh related question.

I have the Mac OS on an SSD and my media files on a separate disk. Now, when I try looking into a folder (usually one with a bunch of RAW files), the finder usually shows a blank folder. It takes anywhere between 5-15 seconds for the files to show up.

Anyone know the reason taht could be?

TheD

The Detective
I have a Hackintosh related question.

I have the Mac OS on an SSD and my media files on a separate disk. Now, when I try looking into a folder (usually one with a bunch of RAW files), the finder usually shows a blank folder. It takes anywhere between 5-15 seconds for the files to show up.

Anyone know the reason taht could be?

Maybe the drive has spun down?

Akai__

Akai__ said:
Hey guys,

I have a little problem to set up my Black Magic Intensity Pro correctly. It's installed in my main PC and I want to capture the screen of my old PC.

I'm using HDMI cables and I've set them to the right input/output positions, but this is what I'm getting:

I'm only getting a picture on 1080p 30 FPS, but yeah, it doubles the desktop.

Here are also my Black Magic Control Panel setting:

I hope someone knows a workaround for this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Posted this a while ago in TechSupportGAF, but nobody could help. Hope someone from here can help me?

Seanspeed

Banned
Keeping a few of the major component boxes(CPU, graphics card, processor) for a bit til I'm comfortable everything is copacetic with them. But I really don't have the room here to be keeping a bunch of spare boxes lying around, so they will get recycled at some point.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Well, I've finally run into my first real problem after a month or so of playing various games (excluding the Diablo 3 stuttering issue). Sleeping Dogs crashes on me all the time. I'm on the newest Nvidia beta drivers. May try rolling back.

Lanbeast

Your Current Specs:
Proc: AMD Phenom II Black Edition
Vid: GTX 460 V2
PS: Corsair 750W
Case: RAIDMAX Smilodon

Main Use: Gaming: 5
Emulation: 4
Streaming: 4
3D/Model Work: 3 Blender
Monitor Resolution: 1080p, 60hz. No foreseeable upgrades.
When will you build?: No deadline, just getting a feel and then probably picking up parts as they're on sale/I get impatient over the next few weeks.
Will you be overclocking?: Yes.

Mainly getting a feel for what you guys think. The CPU cooler is on sale today for $61 at newegg so I was considering hopping on that at least. I already bought the power supply and it's in my current rig since my old one died.

Xisiqomelir

Wow, Thermaltake seem to have had a change of heart in design. That caase actually looks kinda nice, especially compared to the angular, light show ultra gaudy appearance of Thermaltake cases in the past.

I really wanted to try a quiet case, and it was either the S71 I bought, or the Corsair 550D or the CoolerMaster Silencio or the R4. Had an agonizing time going over the options, but I realised I wanted a full ATX tower, I really liked the look of this thing, and I saw this pretty thorough review on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI_ipiAfM3I

Totally satisfied. The 200mms are dead silent compared to the 120s on my old Rosewill, and I have a ton of room to expand later however I want to.

Dolor

What is the best quiet cooling solution to get for a slightly overclocked i7-4770K (4.2-4.3GHz) to put into a Fractal Design Define R4? I am currently looking at either a Corsair H90 or a Phanteks PH-TC14PE. My CPU cooling budget is about $100.

Also, with the H90, should I have it intake at the back and exhaust out the top or is it ok for it to be an exhaust (as well as out the top)? I plan to have all but potentially the side fan installed. I already have an R4 set up like this (but with a Hyper 212+), and at low RPMs, I have confirmed that this is still pretty quiet. I would like my new CPU cooler to be nearly silent though even at full load.

SGRU

If you're not planning to OC right away you can rely on the stock cooler and buy a replacement later.
A core i7 and 16GB seem overkill if you're only gaming. Why not get 2 x 4GB now and then consider getting a matching 2 x 4GB down the road? I'd wager your CPU/GPU will need replacing before you need more than 16GB of RAM!
Are you dead set on having a bluray writer? Unless you plan to be burning off quite a few of them the drive seems a bit of a waste.

I'd recommend taking these savings and doubling the size of the SSD plus a cheap HDD for storage.

I'm not only gaming, so I'll go with the i7 and 16 GB. And yes, I need the writer!

Kacho

I'm looking to upgrade my processor. I have the i7-920 and I'm looking to replace it with the i7-3770K. Will I need to upgrade my motherboard to do this or should my current motherboard handle it just fine?

nbthedude

I'm looking to upgrade my processor. I have the i7-920 and I'm looking to replace it with the i7-3770K. Will I need to upgrade my motherboard to do this or should my current motherboard handle it just fine?

You need a Haswell motherboard. Anything socket 1150 will do but if you want to overclock, check the OP for model numbers that will allow for that.

nbthedude

No, for 3770K you will need an 1155 z77 motherboard not 1150.

Have you tried overclocking your 920? The thing is still not half bad a processor.

Yeah, my bad, I thought he said 4770k. Probably because I upgraded from an i920 toa 4770k.

Eitherway, his upgrade is going to require a new motherboard, though:

Socket 1155 for anything in the i5 or i7 3000 line

Socket 1150 for anything in the i5 or i7 4000 line.

No Love

Banned
Decided to pass on the GTX 780 (for now) due to impending AMD 9970 news/release, so after selling my SLI 670's, I picked up an EVGA GTX 760 with that nice ACX cooler sealed in the box for $200. Amazing that GTX 670/680 power can be had for that price.

And I guess the person that sold it to me can get me more for that price. I think I'll set up GTX 760 SLI, or even Tri-SLI (although Tri-SLI doesn't really give big gains over regular SLI).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom