• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennah

He's having start up issues read :p

@person. You probably have to test it outside the case next, just to rule that out. Also test each stick of RAM individually.

Ah crap, I was getting him mixed up with the other guy who has having boot troubles last night :p Yeah, strip it down to just the base components (mobo cpu ram) and see if you can get it to boot that way.

Before yanking it out of the case try unplugging SATA devices and anything in USB.

mkenyon

Banned
Reposting for a new page. Thanks again!
Unplug everything that isn't:

Motherboard
Video Card
Heatsink

Make sure your monitor is plugged into the videocard, and not the motherboard I/O.

If it boots, start adding one thing at a time.

*edit*

Also, are the arrows supposed to be pointed inward on the heatsink? Does that lock it or release it? Could be that your heatsink isn't seated properly and it's quickly shutting off due to heat. This happened to me once before when I used the wrong standoffs on my CPU waterblock.

Guri

Hey guys. I'm starting to plan an upgrade for the next 12 months or so. Definitely not this year. I don't need to upgrade more than my CPU and GPU though. Do we know the schedule for Intel (CPU), AMD (GPU only) and nVidia? I already know what's been launched, but is there anything else already announced for next year so I can keep track?

Addnan

Hey guys. I'm starting to plan an upgrade for the next 12 months or so. Definitely not this year. I don't need to upgrade more than my CPU and GPU though. Do we know the schedule for Intel (CPU), AMD (GPU only) and nVidia? I already know what's been launched, but is there anything else already announced for next year so I can keep track?
AMD gpu soon, Nvidia next year. Intel CPU just launched, small upgrade next year. If you upgrade CPU you will need a new motherboard too.

TJ Bennett

TJ Hooker
Ah crap, I was getting him mixed up with the other guy who has having boot troubles last night :p Yeah, strip it down to just the base components (mobo cpu ram) and see if you can get it to boot that way.

Before yanking it out of the case try unplugging SATA devices and anything in USB.

Cables will be nice and tidy once everything is functioning!

I'll try to boot it from the base components when I get home.

Guri

AMD gpu soon, Nvidia next year. Intel CPU just launched, small upgrade next year. If you upgrade CPU you will need a new motherboard too.

Do you know specific models? I ask that because I want to keep track on what's new, reviews, pricing, etc. Also, are you sure about the motherboard? Because I have an Asus P8Z68-m PRO.

TJ Bennett

TJ Hooker
Unplug everything that isn't:

Motherboard
Video Card
Heatsink

Make sure your monitor is plugged into the videocard, and not the motherboard I/O.

If it boots, start adding one thing at a time.

*edit*

Also, are the arrows supposed to be pointed inward on the heatsink? Does that lock it or release it? Could be that your heatsink isn't seated properly and it's quickly shutting off due to heat. This happened to me once before when I used the wrong standoffs on my CPU waterblock.

I'll try this method as well.

Turning the arrows releases it, but I'll double check to be sure. Thanks!

Addnan

Do you know specific models? I ask that because I want to keep track on what's new, reviews, pricing, etc. Also, are you sure about the motherboard? Because I have an Asus P8Z68-m PRO.

Not really sure yet, just looks like a Haswell refresh could be Broadwell.

The best you can get on your board is 3770K. 1155 socket. Haswell uses 1150.

Dolor

Not sure if this is the right forum, but I recently replaced my 560 TI 448 in my HTPC with a 7870 XT. Just like the 560 TI 448 was, the 7870 XT is connected via HDMI to an Onkyo 7.1 receiver which then forwards the video to my TV.

Now when I try to do anything with audio, the sound stops and starts every few seconds. I have tried reinstalling both the Catalyst Control Center drivers and the Realtek mobo drivers (even though it's through the HDMI). My PS3 is also plugged into the Onkyo, and it can play sound no problem, so it's not that. I've looked online, but nothing seems current or applicable.

Please help! My next step is to reinstall Windows (7 Pro), and I really don't want to have to do that.

I can list my other specs if needed.

Guri

Not really sure yet, just looks like a Haswell refresh could be Broadwell.

The best you can get on your board is 3770K. 1155 socket. Haswell uses 1150.

pretty sure. that is a 1155 board. doubt they are planning on making anymore CPU's for that now that haswell is out

Ok, thanks! I won't upgrade my CPU unless a new model gets a massive gain of performance, which I probably won't, since I already have one 2600k. But it's always good to keep track, right?

So, what about the 800 and 9000 models from nVidia and AMD?

Trasher

THIS GUY?!

IXRng1N.jpg

I honestly have no idea how I'm going to fit all of that shit in there. Last night I just didn't even care though. Was just happy that I got the thing running. Today will be all about the cable management.

kennah

THIS GUY?!

IXRng1N.jpg

I honestly have no idea how I'm going to fit all of that shit in there. Last night I just didn't even care though. Was just happy that I got the thing running. Today will be all about the cable management.

Frigging love that case :)

Tips - under the motherboard there is about 3/4". And you can safely stuff stuff into the vacant hard drive bay and possibly between the power supply and front panel.

GOOD LUCK! :)

Azzurri

What is the best closed liquid cooler for the Corsair 350d? The H80i looks good. Anything else? The H100i looks nice, but I don't want it that large.

Trasher

Looked it up where?

The keys don't go bad but it is entirely likely that it was removed from whatever site that generated it.

A friend of mine had an extra key a few years ago that he got from his school. I never wrote it down or saved it though. There's some cheesy software that lets you look up the key and it gave me that "BBBBB" stuff which apparently means it was one of these types of keys:
Some editions of Windows (and some other Microsoft products) are made available via what's called a "volume license." In these types of distributions, a product key is shared among anywhere from five to hundreds or thousands of software installations, depending on the license, so product verification is handled differently.

Basically, this means that your product key is not stored in the registry and no product key finder program will be able to find it. You can't find something that isn't there. Your best bet in this situation is to contact the provider of your copy of Windows and ask for a replacement product key.

It's a fair bit to spend. Motherboard would be over $100, I don't know if overclocking is worth $100.
Say I'm willing to upgrade both the mobo and the CPU, are those the only things I should look to upgrade? Should I go big with those upgrades or not at all.

Sorry for the multitude of questions.

Trasher

Hey guys. So I couldn't connect to the internet once I got Windows installed. Said it couldn't find a network adapter or whatever. Do I just need to download some drivers onto a USB or something? Or does it have to do with something else?

mkenyon

Banned
Hey guys. So I couldn't connect to the internet once I got Windows installed. Said it couldn't find a network adapter or whatever. Do I just need to download some drivers onto a USB or something? Or does it have to do with something else?
I included a USB stick that has all the drivers you need.

Trasher

I included a USB stick that has all the drivers you need.

I know you said that, but I never found it in the box. :(

Did you shove it into that extra fan box or something? Maybe it got caught in some of the newspaper. I'll double check everything again.

kennah

lol nope. That was my own! I had previously downloaded the ISO to save me some time.

Here are some more pics to show all of that extra space I have for cable management:

Please note how my motherboard is not completely covered in thermal paste.

I see lots of room there. Just wait for pics of my computer when it's finally done :p Smaller case than yours.

Mideon

Have a budget of about £900. Should I get the 2 new consoles or what kind of PC could I build in comparison for that much?

Trasher

I see lots of room there. Just wait for pics of my computer when it's finally done :p Smaller case than yours.

You can bend the cables, tie them up, they really don't mind.

I'm thinking I'll try to zip tie and shove everything in right behind the power supply and around the empty HDD slot areas. Main goal is to keep everything away from the graphics card fans and to not clutter everything on top of the motherboard/CPU. I'll try and do that trick of fitting stuff into the front panel as well, although I may have to really force some of the cords haha.

kennah

You can go under the motherboard with some of them. Like your front panel audio. Stuff stuff shove shove fold fold.

And just think - it's all easier than it used to be.

Ieu

Have a budget of about £900. Should I get the 2 new consoles or what kind of PC could I build in comparison for that much?

Something I threw together:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£176.39 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£116.06 @ Aria PC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£58.56 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£134.99 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (£199.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Zalman Z11 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case (£49.33 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply (£49.98 @ Ebuyer)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHOS104-06 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Drive (£23.60 @ CCL Computers)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) (£69.66 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £878.55
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-27 20:26 BST+0100)

It's missing a keyboard, monitor and mouse but that's what you can expect.

Mideon

Something I threw together:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£176.39 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£116.06 @ Aria PC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£58.56 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£134.99 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (£199.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Zalman Z11 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case (£49.33 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply (£49.98 @ Ebuyer)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHOS104-06 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Drive (£23.60 @ CCL Computers)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) (£69.66 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £878.55
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-27 20:26 BST+0100)

It's missing a keyboard, monitor and mouse but that's what you can expect.

That's ace. How long into the console generation would something like this last?

Coldsnap

Awesome, so if I would do all high performance fans it would work on all the fans in the case, or do I need a certain one depending on the fan location?

You could get all high performance and use them in any place in the case. I found the best balance to be; 4 SP high performance on the H100i intake, 1 AF quiet back intake, 2 140mm quiets top exhaust.

kennah

Ha why is that? Even more cabling used to be needed?
They used to be big ribbons and cases were solid blocks with nowhere to route. Also nothing was designed particularly well so cables were often short and just kinda everywhere.

Imagine needing a separate card for sound, hard drives, video, network/modem.

Think of it this way. The ATX motherboard size was designed when onboard sound, network and video were rare and unreliable. That's why we are starting to see so many great smaller computers now. I love it.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Depends on your definition of waste. I'd totally do it if I could afford it, but it's not something you necessarily _need_ to do. If it's just for playing back media, it's kind of a waste. If you're doing lots of video work/want to keep your whole steam library on an SSD then go for it.

would have to be a case by case situation. if you look at the cost a dont even blink an eye vs if you see the cost and have to have paramedics called... (a person who sees the price and goes "fuck it, i'll buy 4!" vs a person who sees the prices and hopes one day they win the lotto will see "waste" entirely differently)

plus also what Kennah said, depending on what your main use for it will be.

combine the two and it varies person to person...
No.

Depending on what you enjoy, some other pseudo-luxury purchases that I would say should be prioritized before it:

GTX780/Titan/7970
Great headphones
Soundcard/DAC
120/144Hz Monitor
Great case
Mech keyboard

I ended up going with the M500 960GB. The decent 500GB drives (like an 840 Pro) were all in the $450 range, and the M500 was $590, so it just made more sense to take the large drive.

Kaiden

Neo Member
I had no idea trying to download a legit ISO of Windows 8 was this hard. I have a valid product code but Microsoft only offers the upgrade from their website. Has anyone ran into this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom