• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanspeed

Banned
It sounds like your monitor is defective. I have a U2412M, and it's about as good as a LCD can get. I've had it for a few years though.

But, from what I have read over at [H]ardforum, certain revisions have QC issues. I can't speak to specifics though.

Returning a defective item to Amazon is painless. Just go to your account page and bring up Your Orders. From there, on the right, is the option to "Return or Replace Items". Follow the instructions, and be sure to specify that it is indeed defective. Amazon will arrange a UPS pick-up at your door along with a pre-paid return label.

I'm sorry your U2412M didn't work out. If you still want to go with IPS, you might try exchanging it for another one.

I hope this helps.
Yea, I'm not sure whether to just ask for another one or a refund.

This is what it looks like from head-on:

tQmj6Qk.jpg

Its far worse from the side.

So with your monitor, you don't have this issue at all? Just minimal? Partially?

EDIT: Ok, well shit, I clicked on the option to have somebody pick it up but its telling me I need to print out a label. I don't have a printer. So I've got to put it on a USB stick and take it somewhere that can print it out for me.

This blows.

Infinity

So with your monitor, you don't have this issue at all? Just minimal? Partially?

No, I don't have that much bleed at all. Maybe just a tad on one of the bottom corners on a completely dark background but nothing that I'd ever notice or care about - certainly within acceptable tolerance for a LCD.

Regarding the UPS label - Try to start a chat session with one of their CS reps. I had to do that once because of a similar issue and was given a label right away.

Seanspeed

Banned
No, I don't have that much bleed at all. Maybe just a tad on one of the bottom corners on a completely dark background but nothing that I'd ever notice or care about - certainly within acceptable tolerance for a LCD.

Regarding the UPS label - Try to start a chat session with one of their CS reps. I had to do that once because of a similar issue and was given a label right away.
Thanks. Apparently there's a way to ship it without me needing to print out anything.

Decided to go for a replacement. I really like everything else about it. If the lightbleed can be reduced to a bare minimum, I'll be ok with it.

I also got my Perixx mouse. First impressions are good. It comes with some nice packaging, extra weights and pads for the feet. Feels great to hold with a palm grip.

I don't know how people play with high DPI settings, though. Shit is ridiculous! lol I have it turned down to 1200, which is pretty much perfect for me. Not too fast, not too slow. I prefer precision over quick movement.

jackal27

Banned
Hey guys, is this thread only about building PCs? I'm looking for just a box, got keyboard, mouse, external HD, monitors, etc. already. Budget is around $1,000-$1,200. Trying to find something with Windows 7.

Want to be able to run Final Fantasy XIV well, and some other more taxing games coming up such as Watch_Dogs, Battlefield 4, and Titanfall.

I'm a little overwhelmed with building one myself. Never even attempted to swap out ram or a graphics card before... What do you guys think?

Addnan

Hey guys, is this thread only about building PCs? I'm look for just a box, got keyboard, mouse, external HD, monitors, etc. already. Budget is around $1,000-$1,200. Trying to find something with Windows 7.

Want to be able to run Final Fantasy XIV well, and some other more taxing games coming up such as Watch_Dogs, Battlefield 4, and Titanfall.

I'm a little overwhelmed with building one myself. Never even attempted to swap out ram or a graphics card before... What do you guys think?

If you are willing to learn, the OP has lots of videos and guides on how to. Many here were first time builders with no experience not so long ago, eg guy above you. ;)

If not then just look into the Alienware x51.

statham

Todays the day!! My PC case just arrived(source 210), I will be installing a new motherboard and then transferring all my pc components from my old system to the new case/mother board. I've done simple swap-outs before but nothing like this. scared and excited.

kennah

Todays the day!! My PC case just arrived(source 210), I will be installing a new motherboard and then transferring all my pc components from my old system to the new case/mother board. I've done simple swap-outs before but nothing like this. scared and excited.

image.php

Looking to build a new computer later this year/early next year. I'm planning to go all out in terms of parts, but I'm still deciding what to do about the graphics card. So Titans are still the best performance wise right? Or is it better to buy a 780?

Addnan

Looking to build a new computer later this year/early next year. I'm planning to go all out in terms of parts, but I'm still deciding what to do about the graphics card. So Titans are still the best performance wise right? Or is it better to buy a 780?

780 is the better bang for the buck in the top end, but if you want the best of the best the get Titan.

I'm afraid to even peek in the "Should I build a PC or buy a PS4" thread. Is it just the same old "pc's are too expensive and complicated" and "console's graphics suck" arguments back and forth?

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm afraid to even peek in the "Should I build a PC or buy a PS4" thread. Is it just the same old "pc's are too expensive and complicated" and "console's graphics suck" arguments back and forth?
Yes.

I'm really loving this new mouse. Programmed a few buttons for some help in BF3 and its wonderfully nice to use. Especially being able to spot with a thumb button.

hemtae

Nope. It's pretty enlightening. You should pop in for a while.
And once you're in you may never leave

jackal27

Banned
If you are willing to learn, the OP has lots of videos and guides on how to. Many here were first time builders with no experience not so long ago, eg guy above you. ;)

If not then just look into the Alienware x51.

Well, this computer is actually for my wife's photo editing. She shoots on RAW so the stuff she does is pretty resource intensive. A lot of other professionals she knows use Alienware PCs though!... I'm also secretly trying to convince her to buy a PC I can play games on since her office is in our house, haha.

The Alienware x51 looks pretty great. We may end up going with that.

mkenyon

Banned
He's a relatively new member on GAF and he's offering his help. God forbid some people don't know GAF etiquette.

I'm getting sick of the internet...
Seriously.

Shame on all of you who make new folks feel unwelcome. There's been a ton of mocking in here as of late. SHAME.

This thread is about helping and making the complicated process less complicated. Adding snark and derision does nothing but increase those barriers. Be ambassadors.
Well, this computer is actually for my wife's photo editing. She shoots on RAW so the stuff she does is pretty resource intensive. A lot of other professionals she knows use Alienware PCs though!... I'm also secretly trying to convince her to buy a PC I can play games on since her office is in our house, haha.

The Alienware x51 looks pretty great. We may end up going with that.
Making a custom PC and overclocking/tweaking it, as well as getting super fast RAM can cut rendering times by 1/3 or more. It'll make the whole experience a lot more smooth.

The X51 is VERY limited from a multimedia creation perspective due to the fact that it only has two slots for RAM. You want a lot of RAM when you're talking about editing RAW video.

This is actually what socket 2011/X79 is made for, ostensibly. If you ordered a multimedia creation machine from Alienware or one of those custom PC makers, chances are it has a 3820 or 3930K with 16-32GB of memory.

There is a processor release coming out in the next month that will be replacing those 2011 processors. The 4820K and 4930K are known as IvyBridge-E (E for enthusiast). For a machine focused on creation, you could probably put something together for around $1000-1200 and definitely be able to play games on it.

jackal27

Banned
Making a custom PC and overclocking/tweaking it, as well as getting super fast RAM can cut rendering times by 1/3 or more. It'll make the whole experience a lot more smooth.

The X51 is VERY limited from a multimedia creation perspective due to the fact that it only has two slots for RAM. You want a lot of RAM when you're talking about editing RAW video.

This is actually what socket 2011/X79 is made for, ostensibly. If you ordered a multimedia creation machine from Alienware or one of those custom PC makers, chances are it has a 3820 or 3930K with 16-32GB of memory.

There is a processor release coming out in the next month that will be replacing those 2011 processors. The 4820K and 4930K are known as IvyBridge-E (E for enthusiast). For a machine focused on creation, you could probably put something together for around $1000-1200 and definitely be able to play games on it.

Hmmm thanks for the advice. I'll think about it. She's actually editing RAW photos, not video so I think she'd be ok. I would love to build my own computer too, but we actually need this thing like really fast. Her current iMac is really crapping out.

Anton668

Seriously.

Shame on all of you who make new folks feel unwelcome. There's been a ton of mocking in here as of late. SHAME.

This thread is about helping and making the complicated process less complicated. Adding snark and derision does nothing but increase those barriers. Be ambassadors.
He's a relatively new member on GAF and he's offering his help. God forbid some people don't know GAF etiquette.

I'm getting sick of the internet...

If this passes for "Hey im new here and would like to offer my help"

I actually know a bit about computers if anyone wants to ask me something about hardware. I don't know everything, but I've built some cool machines.

then colour me out of the loop

when a first post starts off "I actually know", it comes off condescending and egotistical too me. maybe I read it the wrong way, maybe it could have been worded better...

mkenyon

Banned
"If you don't have anything nice to say....."

:p

I was also thinking about ostracizing that one guy who poured TIM all over his socket. There's been a number of similar situations lately. Not you in particular, just talking about the tone in general.
Hmmm thanks for the advice. I'll think about it. She's actually editing RAW photos, not video so I think she'd be ok. I would love to build my own computer too, but we actually need this thing like really fast. Her current iMac is really crapping out.
You can build a PC in the same time as ordering an X51.

Take the "great" system, toss in a 3770K instead of the 3570K, and add more memory.

kidko

I actually know a bit about computers if anyone wants to ask me something about hardware. I don't know everything, but I've built some cool machines.

Welcome! Never mind the noise from the too-cool guys. Best just dive in and start helping people who ask questions.

Anton668

Never mind the noise from the too-cool guys.

again, the post was (to me(and apparently a number of others)) poorly worded. But, whatevs..

here, lemme start over....

I'm new here and would love to offer my help in this fine thread.

Wonderful! welcome aboard!
the best thing you can do is hang out and wait for someone to post looking for advice.
also, if you happen to share advice that flys counter to the general consensus, be prepared to back up your reasoning with facts/stats/etc. more than just anecdotal puts you in a better position.
also, if you are one to peruse the tech sites and find something you find interesting or newsworthy, feel free to share with the rest of the class as it encourages healthy discussion and brings to light more knowledge to the thread!

enjoy your stay!

kidko

Speaking of which, if you see any deals on the ASUS P8Z77-V LK or 3570K for Labor day in the US, please share them!

I'm going to pull the trigger in the next week or so.

Trasher

Officially got everything up and running last night. Thanks again to this awesome thread (sorry for all the annoying questions)! Special thanks to kharma45, kennah, and mkenyon for all your extra help. You all rock.

Feels good to have a PC again!

kharma45

Officially got everything up and running last night. Thanks again to this awesome thread (sorry for all the annoying questions)! Special thanks to kharma45, kennah, and mkenyon for all your extra help. You all rock.

Feels good to have a PC again!

Glad you're pleased :) Use Ninite btw for getting stuff installed at the start, very handy tool.

Any pics? ;)

Ieu

Do Amazon normally take longer to dispatch components than they do things like games, films etc? Normally when I order something that's in stock, its dispatched within 8 hours.

Not really but don't be surprised if they dispatch each bit piecemeal. My CPu, mobo and RAM came in 3 different packages, each delivered in a different way (Royal Mail letter, package and courier)

Trasher

He means pics with cleaned up cables. HIYO!

lol

I didn't quite get around to that last night. I will post some tonight when I finally get everything orderly and tucked away. I just wasn't ready to seal her up in case I had other issues while I was installing the last drivers/updates. Played one game of DotA though and the game looks beautiful.

I still can't get over how much I love the size of this Node 304. I'm so glad you guys directed me that way.

Zaph

Not really but don't be surprised if they dispatch each bit piecemeal. My CPu, mobo and RAM came in 3 different packages, each delivered in a different way (Royal Mail letter, package and courier)
This is the worst, you end up listening for the door bell all day.

With Amazon UK there is a trick you can do which (usually) works. If you leave everything until the last hour for next day Prime delivery (usually 5-6pm, it says on the item page), then order, it ends up coming via Amazon's own courier firm (Amazon Logistics).

Anton668

speaking of pics, remind me again, what was the preferred method for taking good PC pics?

also, how ggoood is giggabyte custoomer service? reason I ask is I have to send in my keyboooard. as yooou can see it like to add extra letters when i type(im leavingg this post uncorrected to shoow you all how bad its getting). fooor $130 keyboard theres noo way in hell im putting up with this shit!

Maybe somebody here can help me out.

I've got may new SSD as my boot drive with most applications on it and a couple Steam games. I've set up Steam so that it should recognize my Steam library on my C drive (new SSD) and F drive (old HDD) that has most of my Steam games installed on it.

So when I go to play games via Steam some games load up fine and recognize that they're on the F drive. Yet some like Amnesia, Skyrim, New Vegas and Recettear think they're installed on the SSD (C Drive) when they're not, they're installed on the old HDD (F drive).

How can I make Steam recognize that those games aren't installed on my SSD but that they're on my old HDD?

mkenyon

Banned
I would man, would be right bang near the middle, but that damn mkenyon fellow never got around to making a new thread.
Seriously, fuck that guy!

*sigh*

On the positive side, EU4 helped break my Dota addiction. Unfortunately, it replaced it with an EU4 addiction.

Also, for reals reals, I'm getting the keys to my house tomorrow! I signed my life away yesterday. That means I'll be able to settle down with a proper office and tech room to get things organized and under control. Not that it actually makes a difference, it's just been my excuse that I will no longer be able to rest on.

Addnan

This is the worst, you end up listening for the door bell all day.

With Amazon UK there is a trick you can do which (usually) works. If you leave everything until the last hour for next day Prime delivery (usually 5-6pm, it says on the item page), then order, it ends up coming via Amazon's own courier firm (Amazon Logistics).

Didn't even know they had their own firm. Whenever it went late they always use CitySprint, which is fine by me since they arrive early most of the time.

Anton668

Maybe somebody here can help me out.

I've got may new SSD as my boot drive with most applications on it and a couple Steam games. I've set up Steam so that it should recognize my Steam library on my C drive (new SSD) and F drive (old HDD) that has most of my Steam games installed on it.

So when I go to play games via Steam some games load up fine and recognize that they're on the F drive. Yet some like Amnesia, Skyrim, New Vegas and Recettear think they're installed on the SSD (C Drive) when they're not, they're installed on the old HDD (F drive).

How can I make Steam recognize that those games aren't installed on my SSD but that they're on my old HDD?

so when you installed them, through steam, you selected "F", but when you try to run them, it tries to find them on "C"?

Zaph

Didn't even know they had their own firm. Whenever it went late they always use CitySprint, which is fine by me since they arrive early most of the time.
Yeah, I'm not sure if it's just a London thing to deal with the increasing demand, or nationwide yet. I only noticed they had their own delivery company a few months back, but you can tell it's a very thrown together operation. The drivers aren't uniformed and they all use different types of plain vans.

Knowing Amazon, the drivers are probably all freelancers or on zero-hour contracts.

TJ Bennett

TJ Hooker
Thanks to everyone in this thread for helping out.

After triple checking all of my connections last night, I still couldn't get the system to boot. I then tried booting with just the basics and got the same result. I tried with my sticks of RAM inserted in slots 2 and 4, nothing. I tried just slot 2, nothing. When I finally tried booting with just a stick in slot 4, it worked!

I was able to boot up my system, install Windows 8, install all of my drivers, and install all of the updates for Windows 8. I even got to play my first game of Dota 2.

So my last question to all of you PC experts is how do I get my 2nd stick of RAM to function? Thanks again!

Anton668

Thanks to everyone in this thread for helping out.

After triple checking all of my connections last night, I still couldn't get the system to boot. I then tried booting with just the basics and got the same result. I tried with my sticks of RAM inserted in slots 2 and 4, nothing. I tried just slot 2, nothing. When I finally tried booting with just a stick in slot 4, it worked!

I was able to boot up my system, install Windows 8, install all of my drivers, and install all of the updates for Windows 8. I even got to play my first game of Dota 2.

So my last question to all of you PC experts is how do I get my 2nd stick of RAM to function? Thanks again!

so you tried both sticks in slot 2 and no go, then you tried both sticks in slot 4 and it worked both times?

for some reason I see a RMA in your future.....

asdad123

So I just installed a second 7950 for my PC yesterday (Got a used one for only $160, I couldnt pass that up) and its working fine, except the second card, the bottom one, is stuck at 925/1250 and wont downclock to 2D clocks and is stuck at 99% usage.

Any idea? Im on 13.8 Beta 2.

Anyone? Quoting for the new page

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom