• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kidko

Any recommendations for monitor arms? I want to get a dual-monitor setup.

The studio I'm working at right now has me set up with Herman Miller arms and I'm loving the flexibility of moving the monitors around however I want. But maybe there's something a little less expensive that you guys like.

vertopci

I didn't even know such a thing existed. I'll check with them on that option then. Thanks for heads up!

edit: MSI may not offer advanced RMA... :(

edit2: maybe they do...? I'll have to just call them tomorrow

So MSI does not do advanced RMAs :(

Anyone got any suggestions for good PCI slot fans to blow at my GPU?

Zaph

Any recommendations for monitor arms? I want to get a dual-monitor setup.

The studio I'm working at right now has me set up with Herman Miller arms and I'm loving the flexibility of moving the monitors around however I want. But maybe there's something a little less expensive that you guys like.
I use Ergotron's. Not cheap, but I don't think they're Herman Miller expensive. If that's still too much, a friend of mine uses the cheap ebay ones (Lavolta) and they seem okay. Wouldn't trust them with an expensive monitor though.

kidko

I use Ergotron's. Not cheap, but I don't think they're Herman Miller expensive. If that's still too much, a friend of mine uses the cheap ebay ones (Lavolta) and they seem okay. Wouldn't trust them with an expensive monitor though.

Thanks, yeah, I was looking at that on newegg just now. Looks about $150 cheaper, so very appealing!

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
This is just a general question but how well does my PC stack up in comparison to PCs these days ? Basically the core of my system is a GTX 670 card and an i5 2500k processor (and 8GBs of RAM). So far it's served me very well especially as I play at 1080p/60fps. Of course if I moved up to a 120Hz monitor or higher resolution that would change but I'm very happy with what I have at the minute.

I guess I'm mostly curious about my processor and how it stacks up to newer CPUs. I can't afford to upgrade a thing for a looooong time anyway but was just wondering as I'm very bad at keeping up with the latest and greatest hardware anyway. I'll be keeping an eye on Nvidias new range next year though.

Thorgal

This is just a general question but how well does my PC stack up in comparison to PCs these days ? Basically the core of my system is a GTX 670 card and an i5 2500k processor (and 8GBs of RAM). So far it's served me very well especially as I play at 1080p/60fps. Of course if I moved up to a 120Hz monitor or higher resolution that would change but I'm very happy with what I have at the minute.

I guess I'm mostly curious about my processor and how it stacks up to newers CPUs. I can't afford to upgrade a thing for a looooong time anyway but was just wondering as I'm very bad at keeping up with the latest and greatest hardware anyway. I'll be keeping an eye on Nvidias new range next year though.
Your card is still good.
Also if possible oc that 2500 its a champ.

LordCanti

A question for anyone knowledgeable about 120hz+ monitors and lightboost:

If I install an ICC profile, will that screw up lightboost? Should I manually dial in the calibrated settings myself?

I've got lightboost on and I don't want to mess that up, but the monitor is, well, TN, and it desperately needs the tweaking.

Were CRT's ever this fluid? It's been so long. I only have a fleeting memory of the before times, when your monitor wasn't a piece of shit held back by LCD technology

Edit: Figured it out.

Azulsky

I guess I'm mostly curious about my processor and how it stacks up to newer CPUs. I can't afford to upgrade a thing for a looooong time anyway but was just wondering as I'm very bad at keeping up with the latest and greatest hardware anyway. I'll be keeping an eye on Nvidias new range next year though.

CPU is solid still

GPU should be fine at your rez. You can make it to the 8xx series easily.

kennah

New stuff is only 20% faster clock for clock. A healthy overclock narrows the gap a lot. Your GPU is still fine. You're good for a while. Good purchase!

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
CPU is solid still

GPU should be fine at your rez. You can make it to the 8xx series easily.

New stuff is only 20% faster clock for clock. A healthy overclock narrows the gap a lot. Your GPU is still fine. You're good for a while. Good purchase!

Thanks folks, appreciate your comments :) PC hardware is the one thing I'm never that fully up to date on so was just curious where I stood with my current setup. Cheers!

Entropia

No One Remembers
Hey guys,

My father's computer (roughtly 5 years old, some HP machine I got him at Best Buy) looks like it's on the way out the door...

I just upgraded my CPU from an AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black, would it be worthwhile to give him that and the accompanying motherboard? Literally all he does is browse the internet, check email, watch Netflix and play some Facebook games.

I also have a Coolermaster case and a Corsair 450 power supplier that I upgraded from last year. Looking to just get him: Memory, Optical Drive, a new HD, an OS and POTENTIALLY a cheap CPU cooler because that processor was running pretty hot before I upgraded. The cooler is what I'd need help picking out.

Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($75.39 @ NCIX)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($66.75 @ Vuugo)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Canada Computers)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($97.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $260.12

Thanks guys

Anton668

Hey guys,

My father's computer (roughtly 5 years old, some HP machine I got him at Best Buy) looks like it's on the way out the door...

I just upgraded my CPU from an AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black, would it be worthwhile to give him that and the accompanying motherboard? Literally all he does is browse the internet, check email, watch Netflix and play some Facebook games.

I also have a Coolermaster case and a Corsair 450 power supplier that I upgraded from last year. Looking to just get him: Memory, Optical Drive, a new HD, an OS and POTENTIALLY a cheap CPU cooler because that processor was running pretty hot before I upgraded. The cooler is what I'd need help picking out.

Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($75.39 @ NCIX)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($66.75 @ Vuugo)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Canada Computers)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($97.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $260.12

Thanks guys

id prolly just get 4Gb ram and why bother with a TB drive if hes just doing simple online stuff?

Cooler = 212 evo

asdad123

So I just installed a second 7950 for my PC yesterday (Got a used one for only $160, I couldnt pass that up) and its working fine, except the second card, the bottom one, is stuck at 925/1250 and wont downclock to 2D clocks and is stuck at 99% usage.

Any idea? Im on 13.8 Beta 2.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
HELP GUYS!

I have just received the parts for my new computer and there's something wrong with the CPU heat. BIOS reports 67 Celsius degrees. I'm using a Corsair H60 water cooling, how can I know if the pump is working?

I haven't put the components inside the case, maybe that's why?
BIOS temps are notoriously high and wrong. But make sure your pump power fan header is not fan controlled and is running at 100%

Seventh

So I think either my motherboard or my CPU may have died. They are a few years old now though, so this may be a good excuse to upgrade.

When I power on my PC, there's no video or beep codes. I opened up my case and noticed that my GPU fan and all my case fans were spinning, but my CPU fan only spins for about half a second before stopping when I turn the power on. I tested the CPU fan on a different computer, and it works just fine, so it's not that. I also tried unplugging everything except for the CPU and a stick of RAM, but there was still no video or beeps. I'm also unable to power off my PC using the button on my case, but it will power on that way.

If anyone has any other suggestions that I could try, I'd really appreciate it. Otherwise I may just upgrade to some newer parts.

Gattsu25

Banned
I was looking at gaming mice and came across this monstrosity:

61sIpZFFD5L._SL1200_.jpg

All for the low low price of $105: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006LVZEN0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I think I fucked something up.

Got Windows 8 on my system over the weekend, everything was fine and dandy. Upgraded to 8.1 and there were issues with 3D vision enabling itself even though I disabled it, decided to reinstall drivers, turns out all drivers fail.

320.49, 326.01, and 326.80 all fail. I basically have no drivers on my computer now and I don't know what to do. Already tried checking the "clean install" and unchecking PhysX in the installation wizard. I'm out of ideas. Help? :(

I was looking at gaming mice and came across this monstrosity:

All for the low low price of $105: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006LVZEN0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Looks like a reskinned R.A.T. 7, which is fairly popular for its price point. I don't know if it is actually good though.

I think I fucked something up.

Got Windows 8 on my system over the weekend, everything was fine and dandy. Upgraded to 8.1 and there were issues with 3D vision enabling itself even though I disabled it, decided to reinstall drivers, turns out all drivers fail.

320.49, 326.01, and 326.80 all fail. I basically have no drivers on my computer now and I don't know what to do. Already tried checking the "clean install" and unchecking PhysX in the installation wizard. I'm out of ideas. Help? :(

Windows 8.1 is not out yet right? I don't know where you got it from but you might want to stay with 8 for now.

Sora2k7

Looks like a reskinned R.A.T. 7, which is fairly popular for its price point. I don't know if it is actually good though.

Windows 8.1 is not out yet right? I don't know where you got it from but you might want to stay with 8 for now.

win 8.1 preview is already out you can download it if you have windows 8. personally I'm waiting for the release

Danj

I've had no further bluescreens since uninstalling the Platform Update, so it looks like my issue must have been software related. Phew!

etrain911

Does anyone with a DH77EB mobo know how to achieve an overclock of the CPU? I have a 3570k and I'm trying to OC it up to 4.5, but I'm having a hell of a time figuring it out. Especially since most of the guides online use an ASRock board or something similar.

Sora2k7

Does anyone with a DH77EB mobo know how to achieve an overclock of the CPU? I have a 3570k and I'm trying to OC it up to 4.5, but I'm having a hell of a time figuring it out. Especially since most of the guides online use an ASRock board or something similar.

this is a H77 mobo you need a z77 to overclock

Do Amazon normally take longer to dispatch components than they do things like games, films etc? Normally when I order something that's in stock, its dispatched within 8 hours.

Addnan

Do Amazon normally take longer to dispatch components than they do things like games, films etc? Normally when I order something that's in stock, its dispatched within 8 hours.

If its big components they probably won't be using Royal Mail and so collections times for different couriers are at different times.

If its big components they probably won't be using Royal Mail and so collections times for different couriers are at different times.

Good point, never considered the pickup from depot times :)

What happens if you miss a courier delivery? Do they try and deliver it 2 days afterwards?

kharma45

Does Windows 8 have any noticeable performance boosts over 7? Considering making the plunge.

Quicker boot time and it will support direct x 11.2. That's about it.

My SSD already makes boot near unnoticeable... What are the benefits of DX11.2?

8 is faster again, might sound crazy but my brother's W7 on his Samsung 830 seems slow in comparison.

You also get a better task manager, file transfer dialog, more secure, Windows Update no longer nags you to restart (fucking worth it for that alone), Skydrive integration, superior multi monitor support and you're not forced to use Modern UI.

All about 11.2 here http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2013/06/28/directx-11-2/

Good point, never considered the pickup from depot times :)

What happens if you miss a courier delivery? Do they try and deliver it 2 days afterwards?

Some if the depot is nearby will let you collect from them, like Parcel Force.

Public preview has been available for ages for 8.1.

Case arrived:

-Unexpectedly heavy
-Manafacturer packaging unexpctedly large
-Amazon box ridiculously large

Gives me somewhere to keep the components before I build it though, and we can keep th Christmas decorations in there :p

Seanspeed

Banned
I got my Dell Ultrasharp U2412M today.

I'm sending it back, I think. Most reviews I've heard about 'lightbleed' say its not bad or even impossible to tell. Well, I don't know if its just my particular monitor, but its insanely bad. It looks mostly fantastic when I'm displaying something bright, but when its dark, its atrocious. Viewing angle is crap because its just a washed out mess of brightness from the sides.. Even from dead center, you have to move back about 3-4 feet before it goes away.

And even without displaying something dark, it still has noticeable bleed in the corners, especially the bottom right.

Its awful.

So I've never sent anything back to Amazon. Is it a pretty straightforward process?

Infinity

I got my Dell Ultrasharp U2412M today.
So I've never sent anything back to Amazon. Is it a pretty straightforward process?

It sounds like your monitor is defective. I have a U2412M, and it's about as good as a LCD can get. I've had it for a few years though.

But, from what I have read over at [H]ardforum, certain revisions have QC issues. I can't speak to specifics though.

Returning a defective item to Amazon is painless. Just go to your account page and bring up Your Orders. From there, on the right, is the option to "Return or Replace Items". Follow the instructions, and be sure to specify that it is indeed defective. Amazon will arrange a UPS pick-up at your door along with a pre-paid return label.

I'm sorry your U2412M didn't work out. If you still want to go with IPS, you might try exchanging it for another one.

I hope this helps.

I actually know a bit about computers if anyone wants to ask me something about hardware. I don't know everything, but I've built some cool machines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom