• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeb

My PC is finally finished and running guys, came here to thank you for all your help.
Gave up a few times and went to a PC shop to do the final touches but that doesn't change the fact that you did a lot to help me get this far.
Don't ask why it took me this long since last time for what was, at the time a basically finished PC, this is my first time and that is all you need to know.

kennah

My PC is finally finished and running guys, came here to thank you for all your help.
Gave up a few times and went to a PC shop to do the final touches but that doesn't change the fact that you did a lot to help me get this far.
Don't ask why it took me this long since last time for what was, at the time a basically finished PC, this is my first time and that is all you need to know.

Yay! It's often the weird little shit that gets ya. We've all been there, don't worry.

Zaph

Awesome.

One holiday weekend, maybe soon, you'll be sitting at home bored, go on to Steam and see something like a giant 60+ hour RPG on sale for $3. You'll enjoy the hell out of it and then you'll realise all the hassle was well worth it.

Great news! Enjoy it!

Crisco

Banned
So 1440p vs fast refresh rate 1080p. Assuming cost and GPU power isn't a factor, which gives the better experience? Can a bunch of AA make up for the resolution difference?

I have a Dell 2407WFP that I bought basically when they first came out 8 years ago and am looking to finally upgrade.

kennah

So 1440p vs fast refresh rate 1080p. Assuming cost and GPU power isn't a factor, which gives the better experience? Can a bunch of AA make up for the resolution difference?

I have a Dell 2407WFP that I bought basically when they first came out 8 years ago and am looking to finally upgrade.

Depends on what kinds of games you like. Multiplayer twitch shooters are better with 120/144hz, but slower things like skyrim/fallout/other single player experiences are better with 1440p.

kidko

I'm in the same boat and considering getting one of each type in a dual-config (not necessarily all at once, but as an eventual goal)

The refresh rate seems like an obvious fit for action, FPS, online multiplayer

whereas the high res would be a great fit for slower, methodical, pretty games like Skyrim and strategy games where having screen real estate is helpful.

EDIT: beaten by the kennah

Jeb

Already got a ton of games off steam since I was anticipating this day, downloading Witcher 2 as we speak.
Also downloading the latest drivers from NVIDIA, their good to use right?

I've been waiting a long time for this day.

Shaldome

Soooo about my water cooling project...

:D
Biggest problem was actually the damn pump reservoir combo. Seriously, who pts screws in a package that don't fit anywhere? It's ziptied to the case at the moment,, so that I could get this thing running.

But I think I have to redo the CPU again, as my temps are quit high and very uneven between the cores. Speaking of CPUs:

That was actually very easy. It also my be the reason of the high temps. The lid might not be perfectly on top of the CPU again. Have to check that again next weekend.

Addnan

Already got a ton of games off steam since I was anticipating this day, downloading Witcher 2 as we speak.
Also downloading the latest drivers from NVIDIA, their good to use right?

I've been waiting a long time for this day.

Yeah, they are fine. Personally use the beta drivers since I was having some problems with Dota 2 crashing. If you run into any of that try those :)

Atenhaus

Hello PCGaf!

I recently upgraded my Mac Pro's (I know, I know) ancient HD 4870 to an HD 7950 3GB. The performance gain has been astounding in every respect. Be that as it may, I have been thinking about future proofing a bit and buying a second 7950 to run in crossfire. I was curious if any regulars here run two 7950s in CF. If so, could you give me some feedback on how you like/dislike your setup?

Thanks!

mkenyon

Banned
Depends on what kinds of games you like. Multiplayer twitch shooters are better with 120/144hz, but slower things like skyrim/fallout/other single player experiences are better with 1440p.
I disagree. It's all better at 120/144Hz. I'd say the only time this isn't the case is if you are as obsessed with IQ as Sethos/Dennis/Smokey.

I will never ever ever buy a monitor that isn't 120/144Hz again. In fact, I probably won't even buy a TV until that's possible on TVs.
I was lucky enough to see one in action recently, and I have to say, I wasn't impressed. I can't quite tell what the difference is, but it still felt choppy.

Zaph

[img ]http://abload.de/img/p10000501zsjf.jpg[/img]

Biggest problem was actually the damn pump reservoir combo. Seriously, who pts screws in a package that don't fit anywhere? It's ziptied to the case at the moment,, so that I could get this thing running.

But I think I have to redo the CPU again, as my temps are quit high and very uneven between the cores. Speaking of CPUs:

[img ]http://abload.de/thumb/p1000040fnsxb.jpg[/img]

That was actually very easy. It also my be the reason of the high temps. The lid might not be perfectly on top of the CPU again. Have to check that again next weekend.
What TIM did you use on the core? Very uneven core temps seem to be a trend for people who use curing thermal paste, rather than liquid metal.

Crisco

Banned

How uneven? 1 core being consistently ~3-5 degrees higher than the other 3 is pretty normal.

Smokey

I disagree. It's all better at 120/144Hz. I'd say the only time this isn't the case is if you are as obsessed with IQ as Sethos/Dennis/Smokey.

I will never ever ever buy a monitor that isn't 120/144Hz again. In fact, I probably won't even buy a TV until that's possible on TVs.

Oh hi there. I see you're still wrong on this issue lol

Crisco

Banned
Yeah, I'm leaning towards a Crossover 27Q. They are only ~$400, don't really overclock that well but from what I've read overclocking IPS panels makes them look like crap anyway. I think I'll appreciate 1440p at 60hz more than 1080p at 120hz.

mkenyon

Banned
Oh hi there. I see you're still wrong on this issue lol
I was counting down in my head till you showed up. I even almost put "bad at games" in a spoiler. :p

Back @ the discussion

Really though, it's subjective. Some people really like those giant screens with lots of small, color accurate pixels. I prefer the improved illusion of motion that you get with a doubled refresh rate.

I wish there was a way for people to try out both without spending a stupid amount of money. FWIW, Smokey and myself are the only two people I know for a fact have used both on GAF.

Calmine

There was a thread on the 1440p monitors. The Catleap as far as I know are the only ones overclockerable due to 2B board inside. Even then your not guaranteed 120hz sometimes max might only be 100hz or less.

Still don't why the haven't made them for real.

Calmine

Because you need 2,000-3,000 worth of video cards to run them properly.

No you don't. That's like saying you need that amount of video cards to run 4k res.

Take a look at 120hz.net they have information on getting 120hz on different gpus.

Different question now.
Looking at getting a 670GTX since they've gone down in price ive seen they do 4gb models. Is the extra 2gb vram any benefit? I would be using with 1440p monitor.

Smokey

I was counting down in my head till you showed up. I even almost put "bad at games" in a spoiler. :p

Back @ the discussion

Really though, it's subjective. Some people really like those giant screens with lots of small, color accurate pixels. I prefer the improved illusion of motion that you get with a doubled refresh rate.

I wish there was a way for people to try out both without spending a stupid amount of money. FWIW, Smokey and myself are the only two people I know for a fact have used both on GAF.

+1

I usually just give you a hard time, but yeah what you said is pretty much spot on. All about preference. When I'm using my 120hz monitors I favor them, when I use the ips panel I favor it. Funny how that works :p

Calmine if you're going 1440p + I wouldn't recommend anything with less than 3gb of VRAM.

Damian.

Banned
There was a thread on the 1440p monitors. The Catleap as far as I know are the only ones overclockerable due to 2B board inside. Even then your not guaranteed 120hz sometimes max might only be 100hz or less.

Still don't why the haven't made them for real.

I think I would be content with an 85hz overclock. Loved that refresh rate on my old 1600x1200 monitor.

NJStateOfMind

Unconfirmed Member
Hey everyone so I've decided to finally build my first PC because the PC I have now is pretty old.

Your Current Specs: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+/ 4GB DDR-2 / Motherboard / Nvidia 9500GT/ 500GB Hard Drive
Budget: $1000 - USA
Main Use: Gaming and Emulators.
Monitor Resolution: 1080p
Looking to reuse any parts?: 500 GB Hard Drive
When will you build?: Do you have a deadline? Order the parts this week.
Will you be overclocking?: Yes.

So this is the build I came up with. I'm looking for suggestions on things to maybe change and I have a couple questions. Will a 760 last me a little awhile? and Is it hard to overclock? I've never done it before.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.98 @ Outlet PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($123.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($66.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($165.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($265.91 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1014.82

kharma45

Hey everyone so I've decided to finally build my first PC because the PC I have now is pretty old.

Your Current Specs: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+/ 4GB DDR-2 / Motherboard / Nvidia 9500GT/ 500GB Hard Drive
Budget: $1000 - USA
Main Use: Gaming and Emulators.
Monitor Resolution: 1080p
Looking to reuse any parts?: 500 GB Hard Drive
When will you build?: Do you have a deadline? Order the parts this week.
Will you be overclocking?: Yes.

So this is the build I came up with. I'm looking for suggestions on things to maybe change and I have a couple questions. Will a 760 last me a little awhile? and Is it hard to overclock? I've never done it before.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.98 @ Outlet PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($123.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($66.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($165.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($265.91 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1014.82

Good solid build that, 760 is a great card, overclocks well and it's not too hard to do no.

This RAM is $58 btw after the discount code http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

If you're looking to emulate Haswell is better than Ivy Bridge, 4670K + the MSI G45 Gaming Z87 mobo is a good combination.

Anton668

I'm ever closer to finishing my build, one part at a time. After labor day sales, all I have left to buy is the GPU and CPU.

Anyway, I have a question: right now Newegg has the following board for sale:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157295

How does the board fare against the following:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131837

Does ASrock have decent RMA just in case?

most have been turned off by ASrock thanks to them being dishonest about voltages(?)

So I'm understanding the importance of VRAM at higher resolutions, but I'm wondering how that carries over to multi-monitor setups where only one monitor is displaying the game?

So, for example, what would be sufficient for 2 24" monitors where one monitor is for gaming and the other monitor is for... uhh.. everything else.

NJStateOfMind

Unconfirmed Member
thanks for the suggestions. 2 more questions about the 760. Would it be better to go for the 4 GB version of the card and Is there a big difference between the brands? Is it better to go with EVGA or MSI or something else?

Shaldome

What TIM did you use on the core? Very uneven core temps seem to be a trend for people who use curing thermal paste, rather than liquid metal.
I used Liquid Ultra on the Die and the TIM that came with the waterblock on the heatspreader.

How uneven? 1 core being consistently ~3-5 degrees higher than the other 3 is pretty normal.

With Intel BurnIn running I get temps from 65 at the lowest to 78 at the highest. That's at 3,7 GHz at stock voltages mind you. Which is the reason I think something else is off.

Anton668

That was on the Extreme4, the Extreme6 is fine.

good to know. even though im one of those with a 4 :(

I just remember reading a number of posters pointing out there were equal or better boards for around the same price

Would it be better to go for the 4 GB version of the card

depends on who you ask lol

Is there a big difference between the brands? Is it better to go with EVGA or MSI or something else?

both those are ok. gigabyte is fine as well. alot has to do with customer service in the unfortunate event you have a problem with the card

so when you installed them, through steam, you selected "F", but when you try to run them, it tries to find them on "C"?

Not really- I have my old hdd that is the F drive that has most of my installed Steam games on it. I then installed my new SSD and booting from it, its the C drive. So I went into Steam to make sure it was checking my Game library on my old hdd (F drive) as well as my SSD, which I only have a couple games on via Steam Mover.

For some reason though, when I look at the local files for some Steam games that are installed only on my old hdd (F drive) it shows that they're on my C drive, my SSD, when I know that is not the case. Then when I try to verify the integrity of those games it tries to download the whole game to the SSD. When I try to launch those games from Steam it says that its missing the executable- of course it is, because its thinking the game is installed on the SSD when its on the other HDD instead. I don't know how to get Steam to recognize that those games are already installed on my old HDD.

kennah

Not really- I have my old hdd that is the F drive that has most of my installed Steam games on it. I then installed my new SSD and booting from it, its the C drive. So I went into Steam to make sure it was checking my Game library on my old hdd (F drive) as well as my SSD, which I only have a couple games on via Steam Mover.

For some reason though, when I look at the local files for some Steam games that are installed only on my old hdd (F drive) it shows that they're on my C drive, my SSD, when I know that is not the case. Then when I try to verify the integrity of those games it tries to download the whole game to the SSD. When I try to launch those games from Steam it says that its missing the executable- of course it is, because its thinking the game is installed on the SSD when its on the other HDD instead. I don't know how to get Steam to recognize that those games are already installed on my old HDD.

Copy the steam apps folder somewhere else on the drive. Attempt to install a game by pointing it to your old folder. Exit steam, copy the steam apps folder back.

Steam doesn't know or care that the games are on the old drive unless you tell it they're there :p

Another thing you could do is uninstall steam, and then reinstall it to the F drive exactly where it is now - it should automatically detect your games. I've done this a couple times on reinstalls (I keep my steam application on a different drive completely and just move that drive between installs).

mkenyon

Banned
For those that know the nitty gritty dirt on SSDs, if money were no object, for dead reliability in a small business setting, 840 Pro or M5P?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom