• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

Seems like a fine mobo, considering it's on sale then. I think I'll be buying it. Does Newegg help with RMA forms if shit goes wrong? I hear ASrock is a bit iffy in support.

I haven't a baldy what they're like to be blunt, I'm UK based so hopefully someone else here can help out.

For those that know the nitty gritty dirt on SSDs, if money were no object, for dead reliability in a small business setting, 840 Pro or M5P?

Throw a spanner in the works here, Intel 520 is also supposed to be very good, looked at it?

NJStateOfMind

Unconfirmed Member
Ok I think I've finalized my build. Thanks for the suggestions. Can't wait to build it.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($58.65 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($165.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($259.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1029.58

kharma45

Ok I think I've finalized my build. Thanks for the suggestions. Can't wait to build it.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($58.65 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($165.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($259.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1029.58

EVGA ACX 760 is another $10 cheaper than the MSI with Amazon, I'd probably go with it but bar that you'll not go wrong with that build.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DHW4HS4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I haven't, but I will now.

Reliability is literally all I care about with this.

Obviously it'll take a while for them to find out the results but TR are doing SSD endurance testing now, might be of interest if you haven't seen it yet

http://techreport.com/review/24841/introducing-the-ssd-endurance-experiment

kharma45

520 does seem to have a good rep despite being almost a year and a half old at this stage, and the five year warranty does seem to point to it being a reliable unit. I knew TR had one Intel one but it's the 335 they have.

Any recommendations on a external hard drive? Should I go with a dedicated device or would you guys recommend buying a case and getting a standard hard drive to put in it?

All I will be using it for is to ferry steam games from my laptop to my desktop.

diehard

Fleer
For those that know the nitty gritty dirt on SSDs, if money were no object, for dead reliability in a small business setting, 840 Pro or M5P?

Are those the only options? Because for reliability and if money were no object, those are far from the ones i would recommend.

Anton668

These guys did a torture test on a 250GB 840, totally threw my worries about TLC NAND out the window http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/417...0-250gb-tlc-ssd-updated-with-final-conclusion

yeah, now that you point that out I think I read it before. its just difficult to let those worries go after having drives die on me before :(

also....

awwww
look! a baby Cosmos!

06031664photocoolermast.jpg

Cooler Master Cosmos SE gets priced

diehard

Fleer
Please do share.

SLC drives, enterprise ones.. SAS or PCIe if you have the money.

STEC makes great enterprise SAS drives.. but something like the Intel 3700 would be a good compromise between endurance and price.

If you just want a SSD for a workstation.. an 840 pro will be great though.

statham

I just installed a new motherboard but the sound is not working, I've checked drivers and they seem okay, I'm getting static through the speakers or headphones and I can barely hear the music in the background. Any ideas? chance maybe I hooked up a connection wrong or didnot connect a wire? Its onboard sound.

kidko

Pulled the trigger on a 4670K / MSI Z87-G45 combo at Newegg. Had been looking at 3570k for a week or so now but after adding the MSI board to my cart randomly I noticed they offered the combo for $350 with a $20 giftcard they'll send later I can use on my GPU upgrade. On and randomly Ace Combat for 360(?) Oh well, whatever, about to sell some 360 games so I'll just toss that in too.

Couldn't resist any longer! Time to retire the trusty old Q6600 finally.

kidko

I just installed a new motherboard but the sound is not working, I've checked drivers and they seem okay, I'm getting static through the speakers or headphones and I can barely hear the music in the background. Any ideas? chance maybe I hooked up a connection wrong or didnot connect a wire? Its onboard sound.

-You probably have a bunch of audio out jacks on the back. Have you tried them all, starting with the green one?

-Check if your drivers added an audio control panel that lets you route stuff to your outputs. They usually try to auto-detect which outputs to use based on where you have stuff plugged in, but it can get that wrong or get confused if you have multiple things plugged in like a mic or pair of headphones.

-Check the levels in your software too. Make sure the sliders are up!

-If you're trying to use a jack on your case, then yeah, you might have mis-wired something.

mkenyon

Banned
SLC drives, enterprise ones.. SAS or PCIe if you have the money.

STEC makes great enterprise SAS drives.. but something like the Intel 3700 would be a good compromise between endurance and price.

If you just want a SSD for a workstation.. an 840 pro will be great though.
Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for.

statham

-You probably have a bunch of audio out jacks on the back. Have you tried them all, starting with the green one?

-Check if your drivers added an audio control panel that lets you route stuff to your outputs. They usually try to auto-detect which outputs to use based on where you have stuff plugged in, but it can get that wrong or get confused if you have multiple things plugged in like a mic or pair of headphones.

-Check the levels in your software too. Make sure the sliders are up!

-If you're trying to use a jack on your case, then yeah, you might have mis-wired something.
I don't want to mess with the wires because I'll be up all night, I'll look at it tomorrow, but its frustrating as everything else went pretty smooth for my first motherboard swap.

Stoof

I have a GTX 670 (haven't overclocked) and I was wondering what is considered too hot of a temperature for it to run at. I think the most it's gotten to is 68C and it's usually between 50-64C otherwise (depending on the game). Thanks!

Katyusha

I have a GTX 670 (haven't overclocked) and I was wondering what is considered too hot of a temperature for it to run at. I think the most it's gotten to is 68C and it's usually between 50-64C otherwise (depending on the game). Thanks!

Those are some pretty good temps right there.

I believe the Kepler cards are rated for 90c, so your temps are actually pretty good. Hell, my 7950 consistently runs at 70-75c, so you're definitely fine.

*edit: Yeah, the 670 is actually rated for 97c, according to the nVidia website

Hiya, first time poster in this thread, long time reader.

Now, I just got some new ram. And I believe there may be issues. Foremost, my computer crashes. When it hasn't before. (Well it did before, but getting a new Graphics card fixed that initially).

So it has daily crashes. I'm going to fix this by testing each ram single-handedly.

But my question is-I have issues loading/streaming videos. It began...10 minutes ago. or so. Is/can this be related to the RAM? It started with Youtube, then I tried out Dailymotion to no avail, same issue. Now, i know it's not my internet-I can load everything quickly and just fine. It's limited to only videos. Anyone heard of an issue like this before? And can it be further related to the RAM?

Stoof

Those are some pretty good temps right there.

I believe the Kepler cards are rated for 90c, so your temps are actually pretty good. Hell, my 7950 consistently runs at 70-75c, so you're definitely fine.

*edit: Yeah, the 670 is actually rated for 97c, according to the nVidia website

Oh wow, cool. I might overclock it in the future then to get a little more out of it. Thanks a bunch!

Katyusha

Oh wow, cool. I might overclock it in the future then to get a little more out of it. Thanks a bunch!

No problem!

I would definitely try and overclock it as high you can as long as it doesn't get too hot/loud (the latter is subjective, of course.)

Depending on how high you can get it, you could surpass the performance of reference 680s.

maneil99

So I am aiming even lower for vcore then before, 4.6ghz/1.160v ( + 0.025v ) 3570k. Really kinda hoping for a whea error or bsod so I can work my way back up, I did a few decent duration tests. I did 24 hours at +0.060 no wheas or bsods, gaming at +0.050v and a nearly 8 hour test at 0.040, only thing that came up was my computer event log said my computer shutdown unexpectedly but I wasn't running prime95 that night, just idling. Seems pretty strange, lowest vcore I've ever seen for my chip

Addnan

But obviously you'll pay big money for those drives, even that Intel DC S3700 will be the guts of $500-600 for 200GB from a quick look.

wtf happened to you avatar.

She is dead :'(

K593E6zl.jpg

Not really bothered to do too much troubleshooting. Won't be worth the cost to fix it up. That E8400 is still beast.

Yeah, much better but has the same issue of being overdue stock since the 23rd. Overclockers has an ETA of 30/8. I guess Scan would have similar too.

Cheers. It would be good to arrive by the second week of September right?

I fucking love Amazon

All of my components arrived just now in one box!

Procssor GET
PSU GET
Cooler GET
Hard drive GET
Mouse GET
Network adaptor GET

Just need the GPU, SSD, keyboard and OS now :D

Addnan

But...but...mine works perfectly (XFX 7850 Black Edition, same DD Ghost cooler & design). Cool & quiet. No problems.

Early 7950 reviews were showing that the XFX cooler being louder than reference. Not sure if they have change the cooling since then.

Early 7950 reviews were showing that the XFX cooler being louder than reference. Not sure if they have change the cooling since then.
Don't know about 7950 (plausible since it's more powerful than 7850), but really, my 7850 is running cool & quiet (inside Antec P183). I'm very happy with it and I was surprised by your statement, that's all. :)

What do you think of this? I've been at work for 10 hours and have not slept since yesterday, so probably overlooking something silly.

COOLERMASTER HAF 912 PLUS MID TOWER GAMING CASE

Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-4570 (3.2GHz) 6MB Cache

ASUS® Z87-K: ATX, USB2.0, USB3.0, SATA6GB/S, XFIRE

8GB KINGSTON DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 8GB)

2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 770 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready

120GB KINGSTON HYPERX 3K SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 555MB/sR | 510MB/sW)

CORSAIR 550W VS SERIES™ VS-550 POWER SUPPLY

*Apparently a 550w PSU is perfectly sufficient for this setup?

What do you think of this? I've been at work for 10 hours and have not slept since yesterday, so probably overlooking something silly.

Get a K-CPU (4670K) if you want to overclock, otherwise you don't need a Z87 motherboard.
If you plan on overclocking, add the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo heatsink.

Get 2x4GB RAM for dual channel operation.

I hope the GTX 770 is not the reference design. If it is, change to EVGA ACX, Gigabyte or MSI.

Samsung 840 is cheaper and more reliable than the Kingston HyperX. Also, spring for 250GB or add an HDD.

550W is plenty, but the Seasonic G-Series 550W is a much better buy.

kharma45

Where in the world are you? Budget? Fill out the OP too if you get a chance.

Get a K-CPU (4670K) if you want to overclock, otherwise you don't need a Z87 motherboard.
If you plan on overclocking, add the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo heatsink.

Get 2x4GB RAM for dual channel operation.

I hope the GTX 770 is not the reference design. If it is, change to EVGA ACX, Gigabyte or MSI.

Samsung 840 is cheaper and more reliable than the Kingston HyperX. Also, spring for 250GB or add an HDD.

550W is plenty, but the Seasonic G-Series 550W is a much better buy.

Reference 770 is fine.

Is there any need to buy a more expensive mousemat?

I don't bother with one at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom