• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
no at all

Cheers, ordered one for £1.80 :p

As things stand:

cfjPYIe.jpg

I'm getting excited and nervous, like a child with a lego set that would set him back a grand if he broke it :p

Addnan

I'm getting excited and nervous, like a child with a lego set that would set him back a grand if he broke it :p

That's what Amazon is for. Easy as hell to return, but everything should be fine :)

Dumb question, but..

If I would to buy a Seasonic X850, but wanted colored cables like the ones Corsair sells (RED) would they fit with the Seasonic PSU?

http://www.corsair.com/us/power-sup...ved-dc-cable-kit-type-3-generation-2-red.html

No, the modular end is not the same suggests some posts after searching. You will have to get custom cables or braid them yourself or buy the AX if you haven't already bought the PSU, it is just a skinned Seasonic.

Abdozer

Hey guys, I've been meaning to semi-upgrade my PC for a while now. Been holding it off but after playing Saint's Row IV with framerate dips everywhere (cause being the dual core CPU), I couldn't take it anymore.

This is my current PC build right now:

CPU: Core 2 Duo E8400 (Probably the main culprit, dual core isn't holding up these days)
GPU: MSI Twin Frozr II 560ti
HDD: Samsung HD204UI 2TB
Motherboard: Some cheap micro-ATX board I've been using for years, lol.
PSU: 500w but I can't remember the brand right now.
RAM:4GB DDR2

Overall I'm looking to replace the CPU, motherboard and the RAM. A friend of mine picked these out for me but I'm wondering if there's any cheaper alternatives? I'll be gaming a lot of the time so I want this build to last some time.

My budget's around $250-300 if that helps.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 Vishera 3.5GHz (4.1GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Six-Core Desktop Processor FD6300WMHKBOX
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9R

Hey guys, I've been meaning to semi-upgrade my PC for a while now. Been holding it off but after playing Saint's Row IV with framerate dips everywhere (cause being the dual core CPU), I couldn't take it anymore.

This is my current PC build right now:

CPU: Core 2 Duo E8400 (Probably the main culprit, dual core isn't holding up these days)
GPU: MSI Twin Frozr II 560ti
HDD: Samsung HD204UI 2TB
Motherboard: Some cheap micro-ATX board I've been using for years, lol.
PSU: 500w but I can't remember the brand right now.
RAM:4GB DDR2

Overall I'm looking to replace the CPU, motherboard and the RAM. A friend of mine picked these out for me but I'm wondering if there's any cheaper alternatives? I'll be gaming a lot of the time so I want this build to last some time.

My budget's around $250-300 if that helps.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 Vishera 3.5GHz (4.1GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Six-Core Desktop Processor FD6300WMHKBOX
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9R
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3350P 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI B75A-G43 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($75.24 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($55.25 @ Newegg)
Total: $300.48
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-29 10:30 EDT-0400)

That's as low as you should go.
If you want the build to last longer, consider moving up to an i5 3570K and the MSI Z77A-G45 motherboard and add a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO heatsink for overclocking.

But that's 130 more than you want to spend..

Abdozer

CPU: Intel Core i5-3350P 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI B75A-G43 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($75.24 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($55.25 @ Newegg)
Total: $300.48
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-29 10:30 EDT-0400)

That's as low as you should go.
If you want the build to last longer, consider moving up to an i5 3570K and the MSI Z77A-G45 motherboard and add a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO heatsink for overclocking.

But that's 130 more than you want to spend..
Wow, that looks great, price shouldn't be a problem budget-wise but 300 is probably the max I could go for now. I'll keep the other parts you recommended bookmarked for now though, thanks!

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Do you guys get stressed every time a game crashes? Do you run diagnostics or just say "things break, ya know?" While playing MK9 the other night my system rebooted. Ran Prime95 for a few hours last night. Also was monitoring my temps during play and they never exceed 65 degrees (@4.5 ghz and a 20% boost to my 770).

Diablo 3 has crashed to the desktop a few times. Sleeping Dogs has crashed many times but the game has known problems.

kidko

Do you guys get stressed every time a game crashes? Do you run diagnostics or just say "things break, ya know?" While playing MK9 the other night my system rebooted. Ran Prime95 for a few hours last night. Also was monitoring my temps during play and they never exceed 65 degrees (@4.5 ghz and a 20% boost to my 770).

Diablo 3 has crashed to the desktop a few times. Sleeping Dogs has crashed many times but the game has known problems.

Across multiple games like that, I would probably start to wonder and do some tests. Either pulling back on the oc a bit or swapping out RAM. Might also try another GPU if I had one available.

mkenyon

Banned

scogoth

I would tone down the GPU overclock.

conman

For me, I had to chill on the overclocked CPU (bumped my i5 3570k up to 4.4). All my temps and voltages were reading totally fine for my setup--even when stressed in testing--but after about six months, I started getting regular crashes across all graphics-intensive games. Discovered that without the overclock, the games don't run much differently (a few fps less on average) and I don't get any crashes. It's probably a fan issue (thermal paste), but I just don't feel like messing with it anymore.

I figured that rather than stress about it, I'd just take the performance hit and not worry. ;)

Palehorse

Hi,

I'm running an older PC but it's been doing fine so far, nothing I feel compelled to upgrade yet. Except...I am playing Witcher 2 lately for the first time and it is not running that great.

I had to drop the settings down and even still it hitches now and then as textures load. The recommended specs on W2 is for a 4850 (1GB), so I can see that possibly my vRAM is the issue. (I don't think that crossfired vRAM works well together?)

I have (similar to schandmann, above)
Dual core 3.0 Ghz
4GB RAM
2 x 4850 (512MB) (crossfire)

Is upgrading to a single card a reasonable solution? Should I expect more performance from my current cards, ie, there's something wrong with my crossfired cards?

Do I need to slash and burn and go for a new machine? Budget is an issue, if I go for a single card I need to stick around $200-250. If the consensus is that I need to rebuild I'll need to wait and build up cash for it.

In researching online I can't find a source to confirm what my performance should be for crossfired 4850s, or what would be a reasonable upgrade for that.

Addnan

Hi,

I'm running an older PC but it's been doing fine so far, nothing I feel compelled to upgrade yet. Except...I am playing Witcher 2 lately for the first time and it is not running that great.

I had to drop the settings down and even still it hitches now and then as textures load. The recommended specs on W2 is for a 4850 (1GB), so I can see that possibly my vRAM is the issue. (I don't think that crossfired vRAM works well together?)

I have (similar to schandmann, above)
Dual core 3.0 Ghz
4GB RAM
2 x 4850 (512MB) (crossfire)

Is upgrading to a single card a reasonable solution? Should I expect more performance from my current cards, ie, there's something wrong with my crossfired cards?

Do I need to slash and burn and go for a new machine? Budget is an issue, if I go for a single card I need to stick around $200-250. If the consensus is that I need to rebuild I'll need to wait and build up cash for it.

In researching online I can't find a source to confirm what my performance should be for crossfired 4850s, or what would be a reasonable upgrade for that.

What's the exact processor? Guessing something old like E8400? If so then it would probably be best to save and buy completely new.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to revert back to the stock clock on my 770. I'm going to keep my CPU overclock for now. I've never run a memory test. I'll do that tonight.

I mean, I guess I have to put in context: I've probably played MK9 for 10 hours and it has crashed once. Many of my sessions have been 2-3 hours straight. I've put well more than 10 hours into Diablo 3 and I've had 2 or 3 crashes. One crash occurred when I had the mini map up. Many users have commented that using the minimap causes their game to crash. With Sleeping Dogs, their official forums and the steam forums are overflowing with crash complaints. I'm not the only one.

Friend wants to build an HTPC.

He has around $350-$430.

It has to be able to flawlessly run 1080p content (blu ray, MKV, H.264 & VC-1).

It will be a ffdshow+XBMC machine running on Windows 7.

Thoughts? AMD APU or some Ivy Bridge i3? I am a total noob when it comes to ITX/mATX solutions since I never built one (my HTPC is from 2007 in a full fledged Silverstone case, haha).

mkenyon

Banned
Friend wants to build an HTPC.

He has around $350-$430.

It has to be able to flawlessly run 1080p content (blu ray, MKV, H.264 & VC-1).

It will be a ffdshow+XBMC machine running on Windows 7.

Thoughts? AMD APU or some Ivy Bridge i3? I am a total noob when it comes to ITX/mATX solutions since I never built one (my HTPC is from 2007 in a full fledged Silverstone case, haha).
http://bit.ly/GAFBoxOne

Look at the HTPC in the CM Elite 120.

Crisco

Banned
For me, I had to chill on the overclocked CPU (bumped my i5 3570k up to 4.4). All my temps and voltages were reading totally fine for my setup--even when stressed in testing--but after about six months, I started getting regular crashes across all graphics-intensive games. Discovered that without the overclock, the games don't run much differently (a few fps less on average) and I don't get any crashes. It's probably a fan issue (thermal paste), but I just don't feel like messing with it anymore.

I figured that rather than stress about it, I'd just take the performance hit and not worry. ;)

Electromigration is a bitch.

Crisco

Banned
I wonder if CM is ever going to make a successor to the ATCS 840. It's my favorite case ever. Extremely functional and doesn't look like a goddamn spaceship.

Dumb question, but..

If I would to buy a Seasonic X850, but wanted colored cables like the ones Corsair sells (RED) would they fit with the Seasonic PSU?

http://www.corsair.com/us/power-sup...ved-dc-cable-kit-type-3-generation-2-red.html

As someone else mentioned, they won't work. One thing you can do though, is hide the cables somewhere, and use the Bitfenix power cable extensions which are braided in various colours, and use those to connect. That way your boring cables are hidden behind the motherboard, and the bits that peek out are nice braided coloured cable.
http://www.ple.com.au/ViewItem.aspx?InventoryItemId=608972

Anton668

Is there a short answer why the 840 EVO (250gb) is the same MSRP as the 840 Pro (256gb)? The EVO only looks slightly faster.

where are you looking? just checked newegg and there not like that

the evo's fall between the 840's and the pro's and are replacing the 840's

mkenyon

Banned
As someone else mentioned, they won't work. One thing you can do though, is hide the cables somewhere, and use the Bitfenix power cable extensions which are braided in various colours, and use those to connect. That way your boring cables are hidden behind the motherboard, and the bits that peek out are nice braided coloured cable.
http://www.ple.com.au/ViewItem.aspx?InventoryItemId=608972
Also, I had an entire set done for a Seasonic 860 Plat for $250 by this fellow here. Amazing work.

There's been a number of quality reports with the Alchemy sets. I've had a few extensions of theirs fall apart myself. A number of people have had wires cross and destroy their video cards. I wouldn't ever recommend them.
Thanks for this! Recommendation given. ^^
NP!

Willectro

Banned
EVO = TLC
Pro = MLC

MLC have longer life expectancy. Thus, warranty 3 vs 5 years.

And, even though both have the same MSRP, the Evo is actually $190 while the Pro is $240.

Thank you for the clarification. Looks like I'll be getting another couple Pros.

Hey guys!

I've been wanting to upgrade my PC for a while as it's really old and it's a stock Dell desktop (with an upgraded GPU a few years ago). I can't really upgrade it any further because of how old it is and how small the case is, so a new one is pretty much the only option. It does its job but it's nice to want nice things. I definitely want to build one myself as it's by far the better option.

My main goal is basically just to be able to play pretty much anything on high-ish settings, preferably at 60fps at 1080p but I'm ok if the frame rate drops from time to time which I expect it would with the below specs. I'd love for it to last me a good few years without worrying too much about upgrading it constantly.

I don't particularly want to spend a large amount of money on one though because I only make a modest salary and I have other things I need to spend money on, as well as a PS4. To be honest £600 would be ideal. I made this last night and it is over £600 so any advice on bringing that down would be great:

6Sf6cpZ.png

I wouldn't mind having a go at overclocking it, hence some of the parts. I'd probably be hesitant at first but at least the option would be there. But is there anything I could/should change that would get me a better deal? Thanks a bunch.

My current awful specs if anyone is interested:
- Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
- 3GB DDR2 RAM
- ATI 4850HD 512MB

mkenyon

Banned
Is this worth it if I already have IPS panel? (Dell U2410). Don't really play twitch/competitive, but if motion smoothness is all it's cracked up to be, I'm definitely curious, especially at that price..
It's worth a gander. I think it crushes IPS screens at the same/similar resolutions. I only think it's an either/or question when we're talking about 1440p/1600p.

I've been rockin' a Q6600, 4gb ddr2, Radeon 4870, antec 900 case....etc..based pc for almost 6 years and its time for a big time pc gaming upgrade!

Three months ago I bought a Radeon 7850 with that awesome Never Settle Bundle (Bioshock, Tomb Raider..etc) and I also bought an Asus VG248QE 144hz monitor. Now its time for the rest! I plan on keeping my 1tb hdd for game storage and of course my current mouse and keyboard.

As for the parts I'm interested in,

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($205.00 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($66.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($176.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $875.92
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-29 17:42 EDT-0400)

My budget is around 1000 though not set in stone. I'm a bit out of the loop when it comes to current haswell mobos and ram. So many choices of ram and I'm not quite sure if what I chose is best but thats where you fine folks come in. Same with the PSU. I'd rather buy most of my stuff at newegg and amazon since they can ship to where I work and newegg doesn't charge tax (I'm also an amazon prime member with an amazon rewards card). I could also use fatwallet for newegg though I probably won't get much cash back.

What do you think of my preliminary choices? Any changes? A cheaper mobo that does the same as what I chose? I'm hoping for some holiday deals this weekend (Labor Day in the US) but I can order tonight if prices are reasonable. Looking forward to feedback!

mkenyon

Banned
Scott Wasson chimes in on our existing 4GB vs. 2GB debate:

I don't have any data from my latest high-res testing that we did for the 7990 review, there were some comparisons in there where we had some 2 gig cards, like the 690, and I don't believe we ran into any problems with current games even at really high resolution, high AA, high texture quality, as much as we could crank it, on a single 27" display, and I didn't notice a single improvement from 2 gig to 3 or 4. I would say that right now, you are safe with 2 gig.

Now, if you bring in the question of 4K, that is very different from driving a [1440p] monitor. At 4K, I'd say get as much memory as possible, at least 4 gigs.

In terms of the question, 'would I be safe for springing for a 4 gig variant?', I think the answer is definitely yes. But, I am not sure that you will really realize any benefit from it. You'd be safer, but I don't know if we are going to run into a limit. That's a tough thing to say, because it really comes down to how developers choose to use the PC. That's a guess. We're not to the point yet that they aren't using 4 gigs, but that doesn't mean we won't be in 2-3 years.

The consoles have unified memory, and they have to use that for everything that they do. It's probably unlikely that they are going to use more than 2 gigs just for what would the role of display memory uses in a PC discrete video card, in part because the consoles are targeting 1080 resolutions, so you only need textures so big, etc etc.

But, it is possible with 8 gigs on the PS4, they could make a very pretty game that is really smart, and use more than 2 gigs for assets. It's a guess, but that is a factor.

So, pretty much lines up with everything everyone has been saying in here. The lesson to take away from this is GAF PC Hivemind = God Tier Tech Writer.

mkenyon

Banned
Hey guys! My work is about to smash up some old computers and such. Would a Powermac G5 case work well for building a computer?
If you have a jigsaw and dremel, and enjoy using them.

You can also fetch a pretty penny for them generally.
My budget is around 1000 though not set in stone. I'm a bit out of the loop when it comes to current haswell mobos and ram. So many choices of ram and I'm not quite sure if what I chose is best but thats where you fine folks come in. Same with the PSU. I'd rather buy most of my stuff at newegg and amazon since they can ship to where I work and newegg doesn't charge tax (I'm also an amazon prime member with an amazon rewards card). I could also use fatwallet for newegg though I probably won't get much cash back.

What do you think of my preliminary choices? Any changes? A cheaper mobo that does the same as what I chose? I'm hoping for some holiday deals this weekend (Labor Day in the US) but I can order tonight if prices are reasonable. Looking forward to feedback!
Swap motherboard for MSI GD65 Gaming if you want to save a bit of cash. That's about it.

Addnan

Hey guys!

I've been wanting to upgrade my PC for a while as it's really old and it's a stock Dell desktop (with an upgraded GPU a few years ago). I can't really upgrade it any further because of how old it is and how small the case is, so a new one is pretty much the only option. It does its job but it's nice to want nice things. I definitely want to build one myself as it's by far the better option.

My main goal is basically just to be able to play pretty much anything on high-ish settings, preferably at 60fps at 1080p but I'm ok if the frame rate drops from time to time which I expect it would with the below specs. I'd love for it to last me a good few years without worrying too much about upgrading it constantly.

I don't particularly want to spend a large amount of money on one though because I only make a modest salary and I have other things I need to spend money on, as well as a PS4. To be honest £600 would be ideal. I made this last night and it is over £600 so any advice on bringing that down would be great:

6Sf6cpZ.png

I wouldn't mind having a go at overclocking it, hence some of the parts. I'd probably be hesitant at first but at least the option would be there. But is there anything I could/should change that would get me a better deal? Thanks a bunch.

My current awful specs if anyone is interested:
- Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
- 3GB DDR2 RAM
- ATI 4850HD 512MB
Solid for the most part, but what Corsair is that? CX? If so change that to the be quiet 530w that is fairly cheap in the UK or XFX 550W which is also great. If you are not getting an SSD change the HDD to a caviar blue, the green as a primary drive would be too slow. As for cutting money, not really without losing a chunk of performance. Would be worth spending the extra if you could. Cutting back on CPU and mobo would remove the ability to OC and the 670 at £200 is a steal, so stick with if you can.
I've been rockin' a Q6600, 4gb ddr2, Radeon 4870, antec 900 case....etc..based pc for almost 6 years and its time for a big time pc gaming upgrade!

Three months ago I bought a Radeon 7850 with that awesome Never Settle Bundle (Bioshock, Tomb Raider..etc) and I also bought an Asus VG248QE 144hz monitor. Now its time for the rest! I plan on keeping my 1tb hdd for game storage and of course my current mouse and keyboard.

As for the parts I'm interested in,

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($205.00 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($66.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($176.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $875.92
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-29 17:42 EDT-0400)

OP has a list of good motherboards. That Asus is probably a bit too much. Look into the MSI board in the OP to save some money. PSU is fine, but you can often find the Seasonic G series 550w for cheaper which is a better unit.

If you have a jigsaw and dremel, and enjoy using them.

You can also fetch a pretty penny for them generally.

Swap motherboard for MSI GD65 Gaming if you want to save a bit of cash. That's about it.

Yikes! I'm gonna go with a no thanks on that one lol. Shame too because she's a beaut :)

kharma45

Solid for the most part, but what Corsair is that? CX? If so change that to the be quiet 530w that is fairly cheap in the UK or XFX 550W which is also great. If you are not getting an SSD change the HDD to a caviar blue, the green as a primary drive would be too slow. As for cutting money, not really without losing a chunk of performance. Would be worth spending the extra if you could. Cutting back on CPU and mobo would remove the ability to OC and the 670 at £200 is a steal, so stick with if you can.

All of those things, plus change your RAM to this http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007OTFE24/

Azulsky

Scott Wasson chimes in on our existing 4GB vs. 2GB debate:

So, pretty much lines up with everything everyone has been saying in here. The lesson to take away from this is GAF PC Hivemind = God Tier Tech Writer.

The problem is that they have to get engines to use hUMA correctly.

My bet is that such efficiency is still a few years away.

maneil99

So I am aiming even lower for vcore then before, 4.6ghz/1.160v ( + 0.025v ) 3570k. Really kinda hoping for a whea error or bsod so I can work my way back up, I did a few decent duration tests. I did 24 hours at +0.060 no wheas or bsods, gaming at +0.050v and a nearly 8 hour test at 0.040, only thing that came up was my computer event log said my computer shutdown unexpectedly but I wasn't running prime95 that night, just idling. Seems pretty strange, lowest vcore I've ever seen for my chip

Bump,

All of those things, plus change your RAM to this http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007OTFE24/

Thanks for the comments guys. I'll take it all into account - actually got the price down to £675 now. And yeah, I hope to keep that 670; wouldn't want to go for anything less I don't think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom