• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
Gratuitous RAM
It was only a matter of time.

Needs more gold, IMO.

ASUS-X79-Deluxe.jpg

:p

kharma45

Its my friends budget, under 600, you can scratch off windows 7

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G43 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($115.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($58.50 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($153.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($38.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($38.18 @ Amazon)
Total: $585.61
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-04 13:48 EDT-0400)

G43 is a basic enough board but you could still upgrade to an i5 or i7 down the road and do some overclocking.

burgerdog

So I went back to look at the OP and I ended up with the Asus VG23AH 3D IPS monitor. Did the OP always include monitors? Last time I used it to build my PC I don't remember seeing them there. Anyway, thanks to all the gaffers who make this easy for us!

mkenyon

Banned
Now that silver has entered my build everything is ruined
Time to redo everything!

BTW, have you heard anything about these:

koo-375.jpg

I'm kind of obsessing over them right now. Keep adding them to cart and then backing out. The barbs pivot 30 degrees in any direction.
So I went back to look at the OP and I ended up with the Asus VG23AH 3D IPS monitor. Did the OP always include monitors? Last time I used it to build my PC I don't remember seeing them there. Anyway, thanks to all the gaffers who make this easy for us!
NP, I think we added them for the Thread 2 last year. Updated in January and then again in..... April?

scogoth

Time to redo everything!

koo-375.jpg

I'm kind of obsessing over them right now. Keep adding them to cart and then backing out. The barbs pivot 30 degrees in any direction.

NP, I think we added them for the Thread 2 last year. Updated in January and then again in..... April?

Those look pretty damn cool. Hope they don't have any leak issues

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm recovering from PAX, but it looks like some stuff is pushed back so I'll hopefully be able to work on the OP this/next week!

Note to ASUS Z87 PRO users:

I just tried the new 1405 BIOS:

Z87-PRO BIOS 1405
Improve system stability.
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z87PRO/#support_Download_30

Update went smoothly, unfortunately it wouldn't POST and the VGA_LED was glowing meaning something was off with the GPU.

Removed the GPU, booted via iGPU, everything OK. Reset the BIOS (battery out, clear cmos), tried installing the GPU again, nothing. No POST, nothing on the screen. *sigh*

QCode showed 94: PCI Bus Enumeration

Anways, decided to call it quits, reverted back to 1205, everything working fine.

WTF Asus? o_O So much for "system stability".

Intel Changes Plans: Core i “Broadwell” Processors Will Be Available in LGA Packaging, But There Is a Catch.

Intel Corp. has, apparently, once again revised its plans when it comes to desktop microprocessors. Instead of leaping directly to Skylake microprocessors from chips currently known as Haswell Refresh (due in 2014), Intel decided to introduce code-named Broadwell chips for desktops as well. But while Broadwell and Haswell Refresh chips will be compatible with Intel 9-series chipsets, the latter will not support existing Haswell offerings.

It looks like current-generation “Haswell” microprocessors from Intel will not fit into mainboards that support Haswell Refresh and Broadwell chips, despite of the fact that the latter will also use LGA1150 sockets.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/di...le_in_LGA_Packaging_But_There_Is_a_Catch.html

kidko

Hate when they do crap like that >_<

In other news, my haswell i5 and MSI gaming are awaiting me when I get home tonight. Looks like I'm not getting much sleep tonight!

NJStateOfMind

Unconfirmed Member
I got all the parts for my new pc except for the case and cooling fan. Microcenter still hasnt shipped it and I ordered it last thursday. This wait is driving me crazy.

sarcastor

So my system is randomly shutting down and getting BSOD every 30-60 minutes. I tried switching out the PSU and memory but it still happens. Even when i tried to reinstall Win7. So i figure its either the mobo or cpu. I guess it's time to update my 3 year old system :(

I currently have a AThlon II X4 620 2.6ghz with a Radeon HD6770, 80gb SSD and 8gb DDR2 ram. I do mainly photoshop and light gaming.

Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor - $220
ASRock Z77 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard - $95
G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory - $60

Should i get AMD instead?
AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W 8 core - $200

kharma45

So my system is randomly shutting down and getting BSOD every 30-60 minutes. I tried switching out the PSU and memory but it still happens. Even when i tried to reinstall Win7. So i figure its either the mobo or cpu. I guess it's time to update my 3 year old system :(

I currently have a AThlon II X4 620 2.6ghz with a Radeon HD6770, 80gb SSD and 8gb DDR2 ram. I do mainly photoshop and light gaming.

Is it past the three year period? Check your warranty status just in case, might be able to do an RMA.

mkenyon

Banned

Yes, you should get AMD instead. The multi-threaded performance in stuff like photoshop is more around 3770K/4770K levels. It's not nearly as good of a gaming processor, but with only light gaming on your plate, that's not really a concern.

Azulsky

mkenyon

Banned
Why does it even matter that a chip with ~5% gains would not work on a current board? Who in their right mind would upgrade for a 5% gain?

I buy a new video card like every other month, and even *I* wouldn't do that.

This obsession with sockets and compatibility staying constant over years just needs to die. The hope of it died a long time ago, consumers need to give it up.

kharma45

I know its as unlikely as pigs flying, but I hope AMD releases a superior chip and knocks a few inches off of Intel.

Honestly at the rate they are going if AMD can just feature match Intel through Skylake I cant imagine they will even be that far behind.

It will be interesting to see what they do. We know Kaveri is coming but the only news or rumour on the FX line is of it being dropped, which would be a shame as much is promised with Steamroller.

Thebrokenleg

Neo Member
So my computer has started acting weird lately when I'm gaming. Games such as The Binding of Isaac, Super Meat Boy & Sleeping Dogs that worked great a year ago are now slow and stuttery/laggy, while other games still work more or less as they should. Anyone that might have an idea on why this could be?

Specs:

Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series
CPU: Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07 GHz
Memory: 12GB (3 x 4GB) DDR3
Motherboard: Sabertooth X58

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit.

Crisco

Banned
So my computer has started acting weird lately when I'm gaming. Games such as The Binding of Isaac, Super Meat Boy & Sleeping Dogs that worked great a year ago are now slow and stuttery/laggy, while other games still work more or less as they should. Anyone that might have an idea on why this could be?

Specs:

Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series
CPU: Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07 GHz
Memory: 12GB (3 x 4GB) DDR3
Motherboard: Sabertooth X58

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit.

Check that all your memory is still being properly detected. Sticks crap out sometimes.

Azulsky

It will be interesting to see what they do. We know Kaveri is coming but the only news or rumour on the FX line is of it being dropped, which would be a shame as much is promised with Steamroller.

To me that just meant they are basically going to stick to mainstream just like the Core series currently is. It would be the equivalent of Intel getting rid of Core series chips for LGA2011. Maybe AMD is going to let us use Opterons for gaming computers again like back in Socket 939.
We already know Intel is getting diminishing returns on the silicon wafer process. Since AMD is behind they should at some point get relatively closer to Intel than they currently are. If they feature match with DDR4 and SATA Express in the coming cycles they will still be fine.

Whats the next AMD arch. Kaveri?

kharma45

To me that just meant they are basically going to stick to mainstream just like the Core series currently is. It would be the equivalent of Intel getting rid of Core series chips for LGA2011. Maybe AMD is going to let us use Opterons for gaming computers again like back in Socket 939.
We already know Intel is getting diminishing returns on the silicon wafer process. Since AMD is behind they should at some point get relatively closer to Intel than they currently are. If they feature match with DDR4 and SATA Express in the coming cycles they will still be fine.

Whats the next AMD arch. Kaveri?

But FX is their Core i competitor.

Kaveri is the only thing confirmed to be up next, early 2014 date. Hopefully it'll be good as it'll have Steamroller modules and a GCN GPU.

Azulsky

But FX is their Core i competitor.

Kaveri is the only thing confirmed to be up next, early 2014 date. Hopefully it'll be good as it'll have Steamroller modules and a GCN GPU.

Yes when it comes to relative performance it is their competitor

But FX are basically the GPU-lacking SKU's, just like the Extreme Series for Intel

Baconmonk

Went ahead and took the plunge upgrading my gaming PC, but ran into a problem I'm not quite sure how to fix.

Ended up getting an MSI Z77A-G45 along with an i5 3570k cpu, but for the life of me I cannot get it to post, or even show any video. My current gpu is a radeon 6950, and I have 4 sticks of 2gb 1600 ddr3 ram. I tried removing all but 1 stick of ram, checked to make sure nothing was shorted (even plugged it in outside my case to be sure). Even removing the graphics card and using the onboard video would not work through hdmi, vga, or dvi. After some intense googling, the only possible issue I saw was my bios firmware could possibly be out of date, which would require a different 1155 cpu to boot the motherboard and flash it.

If anyone has any other ideas I'm willing to try, otherwise I'll check my local shop tomorrow to see if they have any open CPUs they're willing to let me use.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1A4gl
Okay, talked to my friend and revised budget.
Also, dont need high end setting PC, lower settings are fine.
Mainly need to play Civilization V.
Sorry to keep posting

Component Selection Base Price Promo Shipping Tax Price
CPU
AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $74.96 $7.14 $82.10 TigerDirect
Motherboard
ASRock 770iCafe ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard $54.99 $7.56 $62.55 Newegg
Memory
A-Data Gaming Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $41.99 FREE $41.99 Newegg
Storage
Hitachi 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $44.99 FREE $44.99 Newegg
Video Card
Zotac GeForce GT 630 2GB Video Card $62.37 FREE $62.37
Case
NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $38.99 $38.99 Microcenter
Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply $38.18 FREE $38.18
Optical Drive
LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer $15.99 $15.99 Microcenter

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Time to redo everything!

koo-375.jpg

Those are kind of brilliant. They'd look really nice in a black/silver build - especially with that Dominator RAM.

Any word on the Ivy Bridge - E release? My i7 3820 at 4.6 is really treating me great - but a processor bump is the only thing in my build I would consider changing relatively soon if the six-core was somehow magically worth it for me.

Azulsky

Went ahead and took the plunge upgrading my gaming PC, but ran into a problem I'm not quite sure how to fix.

Ended up getting an MSI Z77A-G45 along with an i5 3570k cpu, but for the life of me I cannot get it to post, or even show any video. My current gpu is a radeon 6950, and I have 4 sticks of 2gb 1600 ddr3 ram. I tried removing all but 1 stick of ram, checked to make sure nothing was shorted (even plugged it in outside my case to be sure). Even removing the graphics card and using the onboard video would not work through hdmi, vga, or dvi. After some intense googling, the only possible issue I saw was my bios firmware could possibly be out of date, which would require a different 1155 cpu to boot the motherboard and flash it.

If anyone has any other ideas I'm willing to try, otherwise I'll check my local shop tomorrow to see if they have any open CPUs they're willing to let me use.

Sounds like motherboard is DOA. Just due to the fact that CPU's are so so rarely DOA.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Would this be a major improvement
AMD FX-4130 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor
Not really no.

For Civ you want raw power and I'd suggest the Intel Pentium build in the OP.
At your bootstrap budget going with an FX and OC'ing the crap out of it will just explode any cheap motherboard.

If you can scrounge an extra $100 it will do wonders.

Not really no.

For Civ you want raw power and I'd suggest the Intel Pentium build in the OP.
At your bootstrap budget going with an FX and OC'ing the crap out of it will just explode any cheap motherboard.

If you can scrounge an extra $100 it will do wonders.

Is that the first one?
The G2020

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Is that the first one?
The G2020
I went over your requirements again. The FX would be fine, although would you consider spending any more? The GPU needs to be a 7750 (7770 isn't much more) minimum.
If possible I'd suggest the i3 3220 since it will handle Civ V better.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Sad day for me today. I plugged in a wireless dongle for this FitBit thing my wife made me order and ended up frying my P8Z77-V LX

The system immediately shut down when I plugged the dongle in. Upon reboot I got "USB Device Over Current Status Detected" I was unable to boot into bios and my PC shuts down after 15 seconds.

I only bought this mobo in January. I've never really dealt with Asus on returns will they replace it with proof of purchase?

Meanwhile I have to have a PC so I went out and bought a cheapo AS Rock H77m. I don't like that it is mATX and I'm considering returning it tomorrow.

Any opinions on ASUS Maximus V EXTREME LGA 1155 Intel Z77 ususally sells for $300 + but the computer shop I go to had one for 199, also comes with 1 out of 5 different digital game downloads, forget what they were but they are AAA titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom