• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azulsky

Whats the general consensus on radiator configurations for balancing performance/noise?

I can fit a 240 up top and a 360 front, although they get a bit close(no actual interference).

What is trading off with Push/Pull on a thin rad like the XSPC EX series vs a Push setup on the thicker RX style? Fans would all be SP120 Quiets.

Components in loop are 2x GTX 780, 4770k.

From what I am seeing on the air 540 case the way the 360 interferes with the 240 on top you might as well run 240 in front as well if you were really optimizing airflow, but I am assuming the extra mass of the rad helps with heat dissipation even if a good bit of the top 120 slot is blocked.

Not in a super hurry but considering my cost estimations($1k) i was going to start planning ahead. EK havent released the blocks for my card yet and there is a gold/acetal Supremacy coming soon that will complement the Asus gold.

I feel pretty confident that the total 600mm of rad space, or even the 480 would have little problem handling the wattage load, but I havent run a loop including GPU's so its hard to guess.

I'd like a program that can find duplicate files (I have lots of random backups, want to consolidate them).

Does anyone have one they can vouch for? I am leery to just pick one off Google in case some buggy program deletes my shit or whatever.

Thanks.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1A7se

So this would work?

Its not my money or project, I am just helping to plan his rig and budget
That's a great little system, and would be better with an i3 (for HT). Or that money could be saved for a future CPU drop in (i5 Quad).
Whats the general consensus on radiator configurations for balancing performance/noise?

I can fit a 240 up top and a 360 front, although they get a bit close(no actual interference).

What is trading off with Push/Pull on a thin rad like the XSPC EX series vs a Push setup on the thicker RX style? Fans would all be SP120 Quiets.

Components in loop are 2x GTX 780, 4770k.

From what I am seeing on the air 540 case the way the 360 interferes with the 240 on top you might as well run 240 in front as well if you were really optimizing airflow, but I am assuming the extra mass of the rad helps with heat dissipation even if a good bit of the top 120 slot is blocked.

Not in a super hurry but considering my cost estimations($1k) i was going to start planning ahead. EK havent released the blocks for my card yet and there is a gold/acetal Supremacy coming soon that will complement the Asus gold.

I feel pretty confident that the total 600mm of rad space, or even the 480 would have little problem handling the wattage load, but I havent run a loop including GPU's so its hard to guess.
I don't WC, but I remember reading a few things on some of the good websites and the differences between push, pull, and pushpull were fairly marginal as long as you had a good seal between then fan and rad. I wouldn't sweat it and would mount your rads in the easiest fashion for you.

slapnuts

If you are doing video encoding then yes the i7 is much better.

For games there is minimal difference.

hmmm..i wouldn't be so quick to say that until next gen games start coming out because the extra threads might help a bit more than we think. Yes a i5 will be plenty imho but if you are wanting to be "sure" and get a bit more out of a cpu for longevity than i would suggest a i7 if the price difference is not a whole lot.

Azulsky

I don't WC, but I remember reading a few things on some of the good websites and the differences between push, pull, and pushpull were fairly marginal as long as you had a good seal between then fan and rad. I wouldn't sweat it and would mount your rads in the easiest fashion for you.

My decision about it is still up in the air but it was something I was investigating at lunch today. It wasn't something I was planning out when I got the computer otherwise I would have a more suitable case.

Seems like all things considered if you can get similar performance with less fans and lower noise then the fatter rads would be a no brainer, considering they take up the same room as a push pull setup on a thin rad.

Thanks for the info

slapnuts

GTX780 was too expensive, so I went with a 770, doubled up on RAM, and still have a bit to spare. I have thermal paste but should I get some extra case fans base don what I have below, or other random peripherals?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($176.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1406.89
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-02 11:34 EDT-0400)

Yeah i wouldnt spend 650 on a GPU..never! You made a good choice on the GPU and that 770 should hold you good and tight for the next two years at least. The high end CPU and GPU market is way more than whats needed for gaming right now.

Installed the Zotac 4GB 760 today... :)

Looks like a plain Jane reference design, but there is a cute blue light inside where the fan is and the black box is pretty darn slick looking. It's also far quieter, cooler, and much more powerful than my 460Amp! was. I also love the spacing of the monitor connectors. The old 460s were so janked up close together I had to literally warp the cables to make them fit. Now I want to upgrade the mobo/cpu and SLI another 760.

Now I'm not good with computer, but this is a shot of the GPUZ log file.
Note the Memory Used and GPU Load columns.
I'm looking at it right aren't I? GTX760 is able to utilize nearly all of that 4GB of ram right?
7YtnXt9.jpg

It's not in this shot, but if the GPU is pushed continuously around 97-99% load it uses around 3715 to 3725MB of Ram.
Oh, and I never saw the memory controller hit 50% usage.

-edit-
In case you are wondering how.

• After Effects
  • Photoshop
  • Blender 3D
  • Premiere Pro with CUDA enabled
  • Firefox
  • 3840x1200 resolution (Two monitors)
Above list gave me around 1.9GB GPU RAM usage.

Then I added and ran the New Dawn Demo from NVidia and that pushed it to 3.7+GB

kennah

hmmm..i wouldn't be so quick to say that until next gen games start coming out because the extra threads might help a bit more than we think. Yes a i5 will be plenty imho but if you are wanting to be "sure" and get a bit more out of a cpu for longevity than i would suggest a i7 if the price difference is not a whole lot.

Yeah i wouldnt spend 650 on a GPU..never! You made a good choice on the GPU and that 770 should hold you good and tight for the next two years at least. The high end CPU and GPU market is way more than whats needed for gaming right now.

Wat.

You correct me in one post then contradict that correction in the next post?

Sure we don't know about i5 vs i7 with games. But at $100 difference when that can just be saved and spent on a better upgrade later, I really don't see the point in spending money on 'what if'.

Well got my new 7970 in, painless upgrade over my 6870. :) Next upgrade is my ol Antec 900. Such a good case back in the day. But after building my wife's pc, damn there are some FAR superior options out there. Her Thermaltake case is so much better than mine, and I don't even like her case.

scogoth

Those are kind of brilliant. They'd look really nice in a black/silver build - especially with that Dominator RAM.

Any word on the Ivy Bridge - E release? My i7 3820 at 4.6 is really treating me great - but a processor bump is the only thing in my build I would consider changing relatively soon if the six-core was somehow magically worth it for me.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7255/intel-core-i7-4960x-ivy-bridge-e-review

It's coming. Big news, its not that much better.

I read up on deliding and it makes me wonder if Intel skimped out on quality thermal paste under the cap so they could make a higher profit margin. Deliding easily takes off 10-15c from the temperature with quality thermal paste.

I'd like a program that can find duplicate files (I have lots of random backups, want to consolidate them).

Does anyone have one they can vouch for? I am leery to just pick one off Google in case some buggy program deletes my shit or whatever.

Thanks.

I use Duplicate File Cleaner. It gets the job done for me but I only really need once every few months to sort through pictures.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I read up on deliding and it makes me wonder if Intel skimped out on quality thermal paste under the cap so they could make a higher profit margin. Deliding easily takes off 10-15c from the temperature with quality thermal paste.
It's not the paste quality it's the gap between the IHS and die from manufacturing. Probably for some good reason in assembly (No point in having chips run hotter.)

scogoth

It's not the paste quality it's the gap between the IHS and die from manufacturing. Probably for some good reason in assembly (No point in having chips run hotter.)

I think I'll quote kennah here, "Intel was quoted as saying 'LOL, fuck you'"

SO anyways think of doing another drunk scogoth post but only if I get Canadian support.

Tonezorz

Well with the haswell refresh news I'm a little disappointed I just invested into haswell and LGA 1150. I guess that's the way it goes! Eventually upgrade to a higher end CPU and call it good for a few years. (while also investing in an aftermarket cooler it sounds like.)

Well with the haswell refresh news I'm a little disappointed I just invested into haswell and LGA 1150. I guess that's the way it goes! Eventually upgrade to a higher end CPU and call it good for a few years. (while also investing in an aftermarket cooler it sounds like.)
I'm not and neither should you.
Upgrading from Core 2 Duo to i5 4670K was amazing. I'm really happy with my purchase and this rig will sustain me for a long, long time (i5 4670K, 8GB RAM, 840 Pro SSD, etc.). I'll upgrade the GPU (7850) next year maybe, depending on The Witcher 3 and The Division's demands. ^^

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Mouse halp. I hava Logitech G500. It's been super awesome, until now.

In the span of about 5 - 10 minutes, the time it took me to unplug everything, pick up my desk, place a mat under the desk, and rehook everything up, the left click on my G500 has been acting all kinds of stupid. It's like the signal is cutting in and out; sometimes it wont register a click at all, and sometimes it mistakes a single click for a double. Best way to show the problem would be for me to drag a highlight box around the Windows desktop. The box will cut in and out as if I'm releasing and pressing the mouse button, even though I'm only holding it down.

I thought it might be a driver issue, so I uninstalled the Logitech gaming software, then reinstalled the latest version. Alas, no dice.

Has my mouse broken, somehow, in that short period of time? Later on I'm going to try it out on my housemate's laptop, see if the issue occurs there.

Windows 8 and privileges ... Can somebody help me out?

I can barely create folder as it is now, and I'm an administrator and have turned off UAC completely.

edit: can't install certain applications due to "insufficient privileges"

edit2: SERIOUSLY. I can't do ANYTHING. This is beyond annoying.

How long does thermal paste take to solidify? What'd happen if I used the blob method, and then took ages to get the PC built to a state in which the fan can start to spread it? Could it harden?

Addnan

How long does thermal paste take to solidify? What'd happen if I used the blob method, and then took ages to get the PC built to a state in which the fan can start to spread it? Could it harden?

Well you wouldn't do that. Put the thermal paste on just before putting the cooler on the CPU. The fan doesn't need to start to spread it. It is a big metal bit that sits on yours CPU that will squash it.

cAb1iZz.jpg

http://www.overclock.net/t/1322128/...er-212-evo-plus-on-sockets-1155-1366-2011-amd

Well you wouldn't do that. Put the thermal paste on just before putting the cooler on the CPU. The fan doesn't need to start to spread it. It is a big metal bit that sits on yours CPU that will squash it.

cAb1iZz.jpg

http://www.overclock.net/t/1322128/...er-212-evo-plus-on-sockets-1155-1366-2011-amd

I see. So the mounts are just the right size for the coolr to sit on the CPU without putting too much pressure on it? Are CPU pins as fragile as the Newegg guy was making out, or are they as sturdy as any other pin but impossible to fix if you bend them?

Addnan

I see. So the mounts are just the right size for the coolr to sit on the CPU without putting too much pressure on it? Are CPU pins as fragile as the Newegg guy was making out, or are they as sturdy as any other pin but impossible to fix if you bend them?

The pins are pretty fragile, but as long you don’t do anything you are not supposed to the risk of damage is minimal. Just make sure you read up on how to align the CPU with the socket. Then you just place the CPU in. No force is needed, it will just drop in.

As for the cooler, you do have to make sure not to tighten it too much. Slowly tighten opposite corners. Eg, 1-2 rotations bottom left, then opposite corner, then the other two. Then keep doing this, so it doesn’t put too much pressure on one side of the CPU. You just want to tighten enough so the cooler is secure. The guide I linked to above has nice pictures as to which holes you are supposed to use for socket 1155.

The cooler will sit perfectly on these little standoffs you will install. You just screw those into the standoff

f3Td7W6.jpg

rossonero

Windows 8 and privileges ... Can somebody help me out?

I can barely create folder as it is now, and I'm an administrator and have turned off UAC completely.

edit: can't install certain applications due to "insufficient privileges"

edit2: SERIOUSLY. I can't do ANYTHING. This is beyond annoying.

That happened to me twice and googling around I found that the cause was either using the CCleaner registry cleaner or, more commonly, using the AMD Driver Uninstaller. The latter was what happened to me and my brother.

It's really annoying that there is no proper fix yet from Microsoft or AMD since it seems like it happens to many people that the privileges are gone but I found a register edit that seems to work. So if you're comfortable with regedit I can try to find it, otherwise the only thing that works 100% is to format or refresh.

Thanks guys. In the video I watched, the guy said that you can have the cooler fan facing 2 or 3 directions with advantages and disadvantages to each. How do you decide which is best for you?

Is it stupid that the games I'm most looking forward to playing are Dota 2 and Stalker, which can probably run on any rig from the last decade? :p

Addnan

Thanks guys. In the video I watched, the guy said that you can have the cooler fan facing 2 or 3 directions with advantages and disadvantages to each. How do you decide which is best for you?

Is it stupid that the games I'm most looking forward to playing are Dota 2 and Stalker, which can probably run on any rig from the last decade? :p

Naa, Stalker needs mods, so you need a new PC and Dota, well everyone needs to play Dota.

This is my PC.

I put fan like this.
ZZxXZ5d.png

That happened to me twice and googling around I found that the cause was either using the CCleaner registry cleaner or, more commonly, using the AMD Driver Uninstaller. The latter was what happened to me and my brother.

It's really annoying that there is no proper fix yet from Microsoft or AMD since it seems like it happens to many people that the privileges are gone but I found a register edit that seems to work. So if you're comfortable with regedit I can try to find it, otherwise the only thing that works 100% is to format or refresh.

It's a fresh Windows 8-install, no programs are even installed yet. Also, I'm on Nvidia. Everything (including the folders I create) is read only from the start and every action requires permission. UAC off and I've tried every reg-hack there is.

If you can find your fix I'd be greatful!

Thanks

Seanspeed

Banned

Face the fan forward. It takes in air, blowing it across the cooler and ideally straight into your case's exhaust fan flow.

And nah, that's not stupid if you're coming from a PC that couldn't play shit. I find even slightly older games still look better than the current-gen consoles and having 60fps achievable with any game is really great. There's plenty of time to enjoy games with more eyecandy later.

Sora2k7

Face the fan forward. It takes in air, blowing it across the cooler and ideally straight into your case's exhaust fan flow.

And nah, that's not stupid if you're coming from a PC that couldn't play shit. I find even slightly older games still look better than the current-gen consoles and having 60fps achievable with any game is really great. There's plenty of time to enjoy games with more eyecandy later.

sonic adventure 2 is great in 1080p

Addnan

Do I have that right? Even on the video, I was struggling to get my bearings on which side of the case was which :p

Yep that's correct. I would have taken a straight pic, but my case is in a slightly awkward position. Can do if you need it a little later.

edit

Some other guys PC

8xhWUKrl.jpg

Yep that's correct. I would have taken a straight pic, but my case is in a slightly awkward position. Can do if you need it a little later.

edit

Some other guys PC

8xhWUKrl.jpg

Cheers. Is the motherboard always attached to the left side of the case, PSU at the bottom, storage at the front etc?

Is bad cable management a hazard to any of the parts other than the fans? Do any of the parts run hot enough to damage cables that are near them? I found a couple of zip-ties, but need a few more I think to keep it neat and tidy.

Addnan

Cheers. Is the motherboard always attached to the left side of the case, PSU at the bottom, storage at the front etc?

Is bad cable management a hazard to any of the parts other than the fans? Do any of the parts run hot enough to damage cables that are near them? I found a couple of zip-ties, but need a few more I think to keep it neat and tidy.

Any normal case will have that layout yes.

Not a hazard, but it's not hard these days to clean up the cabling a little.

Your case should have a little box inside it with some screws and zip ties.

Seanspeed

Banned
Any normal case will have that layout yes.

Not a hazard, but it's not hard these days to clean up the cabling a little.

Your case should have a little box inside it with some screws and zip ties.
My case came with 2 zipties. I definitely needed more.

rossonero

It's a fresh Windows 8-install, no programs are even installed yet. Also, I'm on Nvidia. Everything (including the folders I create) is read only from the start and every action requires permission. UAC off and I've tried every reg-hack there is.

If you can find your fix I'd be greatful!

Thanks

Hmm that's weird then. Found the fix that worked for me if you wanna try though, just go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

and make sure that it says value is 0 on the EnableLUA string.

Remember to always do a registry backup just in case.

Ryne

I'm looking to upgrade my current PC - http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/1AcJk

I want a new MB and video card, but I'm up to any other suggestions.

Also a new monitor would be nice, I have a SyncMaster SA350 right now which is okay, but I'd like to have something that can handle higher FPS

Addnan

Also a new monitor would be nice, I have a SyncMaster SA350 right now which is okay, but I'd like to have something that can handle higher FPS
Any reason you want to upgrade motherboard? A Z77 would have native USB3, but that's about it. You would need Ivy bridge to take advantage of PCI-E 3.

A bigger SSD and GPU would be the best upgrade. The 580 is still a solid enough card, but there are better. What's your budget?

kharma45

Any reason you want to upgrade motherboard? A Z77 would have native USB3, but that's about it. You would need Ivy bridge to take advantage of PCI-E 3.

A bigger SSD and GPU would be the best upgrade. The 580 is still a solid enough card, but there are better. What's your budget?

Board has USB 3 anyway, all you'd get is PCIe 3 and it's still a while off being needed.

All I'd do is get a good cooler and overclock the fucking nuts off that i7. If you want a new monitor a 120Hz could be a good investment, and a 580 is still good enough to push one of those. What I'd do is wait until next month to see what AMD bring before spending on your GPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom