• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rufus

I don't have the equipment to do that, unfortunately. So, now that we're back to square one: no video signal. Guess I'm going to have to get a replacement GPU first.

mkenyon

Banned
Mercury S5 Case is officially for sale

$260.00 USD, which is a great price considering the hardware you're getting. I'd buy this now if I didn't already get the SM5. Pretty much my dream case here.

DSC_5638__64737.1377905790.1280.1280.jpg

DSC_5639__85868.1377905794.1280.1280.jpg

DSC_5660__84152.1377905819.1280.1280.jpg

Size: 14.94"H x 12.14"W x 19.03"D (380mm x 308mm x 483mm)*
Drive Bay Size: 18.38”L x 5.31”H x 3.85”D (467mm x 135mm x 98mm)
Upper Chamber Size: 18.38”L x 11.16”W x 9.18”H (467mm x 283mm 233mm)
Form Factor: mATX
Expansion Slots: 5
Flex-Bays (5.25" bays): 7
Native Drive Support (without using 5.25" bays):

2 HDD (3.50")
4 SSD (2.50")

Maximum Radiator: 120.3(360)/140.2(280)
Cooling Tower Clearance: 190mm
PSU Mounts: 1
Weight: 16.5 lbs. (7.5kg)

* Rubber feet add .81” (20mm) to the height

Casters are available for the optional pedestal, but not the case

Standard Features:

Aluminum Construction
Removable Motherboard Plate
Anti-Vandal Style LED Power and Reset Switches and sleeved cables
Top Cover: Solid or Ventilated, or Window
Left Door: Solid or Ventilated
Right Door: Solid or Ventilated
Drop-In Style Top Chassis (With choice of mount or window)
One Dual HDD Mount & Anti-vibration Hardware
One Mount Quad SSD
Two sets of 5.25” Device Mounts (MAC-125) [No substitutions]
One set of 5.25 Short Adjustable Mounts (MAC-213) [No substitutions]
Flex-Bay Covers: One triple, one double and two single (solid).
PCI Covers
Misc: Thumb screws, MB standoffs, Tie Wraps, Plugs, Grommets, Extra parts, Owner’s Manual.
Ships Flat-packed.
Choice of Color: Black, White Matte, Dark Gray or Primer Gray

kennah

One day I'll get me a Case Labs case. Gotta finish the Splash first.

(Would totally get a S5 for a MicroATX Gigabyte Socket 2011 workstation)

mkenyon

Banned
One day I'll get me a Case Labs case. Gotta finish the Splash first.

(Would totally get a S5 for a MicroATX Gigabyte Socket 2011 workstation)
I'm holding off on any hardware purchases on the off chance that Gigabyte releases an enthusiast mATX with the Ivy-E refresh. Here's hoping!

Zaph

That is a gorgeous case. Bet it would look great with a two-tone inside/out finish.

Currently really missing my really old Lian Li aluminium case. It was so easy to cut and mod. I blew out my old off-brand Dremel cutting the front mesh grid of my Bitfenix Prodigy.

I really wish there was an all-aluminium version of the Prodigy out there. Or even something similar. Great case, but fuck steel, too hard to work with.

Crisco

Banned
Not really digging the look of that case. I generally prefer the more utilitarian designs, but that one reminds me too much of the old IBM PCs from back in the day (fuck me I'm getting old).

Azulsky

I'm holding off on any hardware purchases on the off chance that Gigabyte releases an enthusiast mATX with the Ivy-E refresh. Here's hoping!

How would that even work. Most mATX cases seem so crammed there is no way they would be able to fit 4 more DIMM slots.

Crisco

Banned
Anyone have experience with using dedicated PhysX card along with their main GPU? I just read about it and it sounds like a bullcrap gimmick, but I have a new GTX 760 waiting at home for me and I'm wondering if it's worth keeping my GTX 560 Ti in there as a dedicated PhysX card. My initial instinct is that it's not worth it but I'd like to hear from people who've actually tried it.

mkenyon

Banned
How would that even work. Most mATX cases seem so crammed there is no way they would be able to fit 4 more DIMM slots.
My Rampage IV Gene says hello. :p

Anyone have experience with using dedicated PhysX card along with their main GPU? I just read about it and it sounds like a bullcrap gimmick, but I have a new GTX 760 waiting at home for me and I'm wondering if it's worth keeping my GTX 560 Ti in there as a dedicated PhysX card. My initial instinct is that it's not worth it but I'd like to hear from people who've actually tried it.
Our very own Sk3tch did testing on this.

http://1pcent.com/?p=135

knitoe

3jTDCTK.jpg

New EVGA 1300W PSU arrived. Installed and everything fine. With 10 year warranty, hopefully, this should last me for many future builds. Intel release your 8 core CPU already.

Saw this on reddit, figured some of you would enjoy it:

http://imgur.com/a/x75U2#0

Core Components

Intel Core i7 950
Asus Rampage III Extreme
2 x AMD HD7970
6 x 2GB Corsair Dominator
4 x 120GB Corsair Force GT SSD
2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black
2TB WD Caviar Green
1.5TB WD Caviar Green
Corsair AX1200i
Creative Sound Blaster Zx

Cooling Components
CPU Loop

EK Supreme HF Full Copper
Swiftech MCP655 /w Speed Control
FrozenQ Liquid Fusion V Series 400 ml Reservoir - Blood Red
XSPC RX360 Performance Triple 120mm Radiator

GPU Loop

EK FC7970 - Acetal+EN
Swiftech MCP655 /w Speed Control
FrozenQ Liquid Fusion V Series 400 ml Reservoir - Blood Red
Watercool MO-RA3 9x120 LT Radiator

Fittings / Misc.

Koolance QD4 Quick Discounnect No-Spill Coupling
Bitspower G1/4 Silver Triple Rotary 90deg Compression Fittings
Monsoon Free Center Compression Fittings
Phobya Angled Clip 90° Tubing Guide
Phobya Terminal Strip Tubing Clip/Holder
PrimoChill Advanced LRT Tubing Bloodshed Red
EK UV Blue Non-Conductive Fluid

Cables

Bitfenix Alchemy Premium Sleeved Extensions
Corsair Individually Sleeved Modular Cables

A buddy of mine who I used to play StarCraft and Battlefield 1942 with just said he wants to get back into PC gaming again by the end of the year. His budget is $800 and the game that has him interested is BF4 but he's not quite ready to buy yet.

I figure something like this would be perfect for him (he specifically said he would want to watch blurays on it):

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($118.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston Blu Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($48.96 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.22 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($203.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($43.53 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($47.99 @ Microcenter)
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($54.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $805.63
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-05 20:58 EDT-0400)

Hopefully, prices don't jump up anywhere by the time he's ready to pull the trigger. I suggested he waits until after the new AMD 9000 cards are released to see how that affects things but that dram facility fire had me worried.

I know the hyper 212 is recommended pretty highly for CPU cooling. But I have a smaller case (350D) and am considering a H100i for less clutter and I don't mind pay more for basically the same performance...not sure tho.

kennah

I know the hyper 212 is recommended pretty highly for CPU cooling. But I have a smaller case (350D) and am considering a H100i for less clutter and I don't mind pay more for basically the same performance...not sure tho.

Go for it, the H100 is awesome (and in the OP)

Uriah

My GPU isn't showing up in device manager. I've tried re-seating the card but that doesn't help. Anyone have any advice?

Uriah

I think so, the fan is running and everything is plugged in.

Edit: I can't install the drivers because the card isn't detected.

I think the key is to increase the 2D memory clock but you could possibly use a different utility other than a CCC preset that can achieve the same goal. Possibly someone here more familiar with AMD graphics card overclocking utilities like MSI Afterburner or something along those lines can help. It's just the 2D memory clock, the 3D clocks should be fine in my experience.
Gaaahhhh well this is infuriating. I have the preset loaded but no matter how high I put it the clocks stay the same.

Tonezorz

Now that I have it all up and running, is there a post-build guide (besides the SSD guide, I see that) for driver install order, necessity, etc?

I've done the basics; Chipset, Audio, Video, but have a few unknown devices left. I don't necessarily want to install drivers for things I will never use / can turn off in the BIOS.

This is for the MSI Z87-G45 Gaming

Artofwar420

Question: What would be the lowest possible CPU, in terms of power and expense, needed to use a 560 ti without bottlenecking it?

Been using my new PC for a few weeks but I'm getting annoyed at the noise my GTX 660 makes when I play games, the fans at 40% is pretty loud and I can hear them.

Will installing case fans into my bitfenix shinobi case fix the problem and lower the case temperature?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Now that I have it all up and running, is there a post-build guide (besides the SSD guide, I see that) for driver install order, necessity, etc?

I've done the basics; Chipset, Audio, Video, but have a few unknown devices left. I don't necessarily want to install drivers for things I will never use / can turn off in the BIOS.

This is for the MSI Z87-G45 Gaming
You can check the Hardware ID in Device Manager to figure out what it is, then download the drivers from the manufacturer's website. (Or just DL all the drivers and run them)
Been using my new PC for a few weeks but I'm getting annoyed at the noise my GTX 660 makes when I play games, the fans at 40% is pretty loud and I can hear them.

Will installing case fans into my bitfenix shinobi case fix the problem and lower the case temperature?
Are you positive they are fixed at 40%? Do you have a dual fan cooler or single blower style? Blowers are loud. Lower your fixed fan RPM to silence, then watch your temps, then decide to add case fans if the GPU is running too warm.
Question: What would be the lowest possible CPU, in terms of power and expense, needed to use a 560 ti without bottlenecking it?
I would say get an i3, but you'll have to be more specific.

knitoe

Kevin

Hello,

I'm in the market for a 1440p monitor and have been considering the following monitors

$310 - Qnix QX2710 (Perfect pixel) - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Perfect-Pix...-27-2560x1440-PLS-Monitor-Matte-/111073520913

$290 - Qnix QX2710 (1 year warranty) - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matt-QNIX-Q...40-Samsung-PLS-Panel-PC-Monitor-/221203079356

$280 - X-star DP2710 (Cheapest) - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matte-FREE-...x1440-Samsung-PLS-Panel-Monitor-/330932578190

$320 - Crossover 27q (best stand) - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BJFMHSS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Azulsky

Nothing to do with the PSU. It seems likes Quad SLI is reserved for Titans only. Nvidia limited the 770/780 to Tri-SLI only and that's why the EVGA chart shows that. Another reason to spend more for Titans.

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1971498&mpage=1

Ah it wasnt something I had previously checked due to lack of intent to go past 2 at any point. Aside from the fact that so few things even scale past 2 from benches I have seen.

Look at the number again when you are running a benchmark or playing a game. It will go back into 3.0 mode. Cards enter a low power state when they arent being used, and open up more PCIE lanes. My 780's drop to 1.1 when im doing basic net surfing like this.

Click on that little ? mark next to the box and run the render test.

Hello,

I'm in the market for a 1440p monitor and have been considering the following monitors

$310 - Qnix QX2710 (Perfect pixel) - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Perfect-Pix...-27-2560x1440-PLS-Monitor-Matte-/111073520913

$290 - Qnix QX2710 (1 year warranty) - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matt-QNIX-Q...40-Samsung-PLS-Panel-PC-Monitor-/221203079356

$280 - X-star DP2710 (Cheapest) - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matte-FREE-...x1440-Samsung-PLS-Panel-Monitor-/330932578190

$320 - Crossover 27q (best stand) - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BJFMHSS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Don't pick matte monitors. Matte IPS monitors are likely still using older IPS panels that suffer from aggressive antiglare that hampers image quality. Matte PLS monitors suffer from the same thing and there's no point since non-matte PLS monitors are all semi-gloss. PLS is better than IPS, from a consistency point of view, so the Qnix monitors should be the best. I believe they're able to run at higher than 60hz too.

Don't worry about the stand, all of these monitors should have VESA holes so you can just get a third party stand if you really need one.

Look at the number again when you are running a benchmark or playing a game. It will go back into 3.0 mode. Cards enter a low power state when they arent being used, and open up more PCIE lanes. My 780's drop to 1.1 when im doing basic net surfing like this.

Click on that little ? mark next to the box and run the render test.
The screenshot was taken AFTER taking the render test. Never went past 2.0 and that's what's puzzling me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom