• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azulsky

I had a PCP&C back in 05. Such a beast. My house could have a brownout and the PC would not even blink an eye.

Ended up in a donor PC to my uncle, I think it finally died last year.

Dawg

I had a PCP&C back in 05. Such a beast. My house could have a brownout and the PC would not even blink an eye.

Ended up in a donor PC to my uncle, I think it finally died last year.

Yeah, PCP&C is one of the best PSU brands I ever had. Very quiet as well.

Lanbeast

Finally got around to overclocking my 4770k under a Seidon 240m. I started at a 44 multiplier at 1.25V and everything seemed fine, temps hovering around 60c while using Prime95. Guild Wars 2 seemed to run fine for about 10 minutes. Then I loaded up Dota 2 and I'm getting a crazy amount of artifacting and Templar Assassin had no legs :<. I'm not sure where I'm going wrong.

Actually, I just set everything back to normal and I'm still getting graphical glitches.

edit: I also then dialed it back to 43 and 42. Same issues.

Azulsky

Finally got around to overclocking my 4770k under a Seidon 240m. I started at a 44 multiplier at 1.25V and everything seemed fine, temps hovering around 60c while using Prime95. Guild Wars 2 seemed to run fine for about 10 minutes. Then I loaded up Dota 2 and I'm getting a crazy amount of artifacting and Templar Assassin had no legs :<. I'm not sure where I'm going wrong.

Actually, I just set everything back to normal and I'm still getting graphical glitches.

edit: I also then dialed it back to 43 and 42. Same issues.

Graphical artifacting is a video card issue.

Coldsnap

EVGA Hadron launched, or is about to. £167 here, $190 over in USA. Comes with a gold rated 500W PSU.

9mdHV2G.png

TZ0Nh6R.png

I like this. Although I really like my 350D. Can't wait to see builds using this though. It seems like it needs a few revisions to be a competitor. Better build quality, better fan placements, and fan filters to start...

Jzero

I think i'm going to make a new itx build with a Cooler Master Elite 130. Hopefully a new one doesn't come out in a few months.

TheD

The Detective
We're lucky to even get PC releases of major titles, never mind timely, half way optimized, or working at all. Red headed stepchild is too generous a description of how most pubs treat PC releases. I do not see how Valve are going to convince AMD/Nvidia to devote significant resources to Linux driver development AND get dev/pubs to do the same with every title.

Nvidia's Linux drivers are not bad at all and Intel is putting a lot of work into Linux drivers, Intel is the second largest contributor of code to Linux!

Nakazato

Would going amd for processing be worth it? Or should I just use the I3 2100 my friend gave me a hope to upgrade if the I5s go on sale black friday.

If the later my build will be

I3 2100
7850 2gb
4gb of ram

Would I be able to play most (if not all games) 1650 x 1050 with high settings ?

kennah

Would going amd for processing be worth it? Or should I just use the I3 2100 my friend gave me a hope to upgrade if the I5s go on sale black friday.

If the later my build will be

I3 2100
7850 2gb
4gb of ram

Would I be able to play most (if not all games) 1650 x 1050 with high settings ?

You'll be fine at that res with those specs.

Azulsky

Got U3014 set up.

This thing is the apex predator of monitors. Except....

Pretty crazy glow from the bottom corners though at all brightness levels..

It stays on even as you drop brightness to 0.

Gonna have to do more research on this and probably return.

mkenyon

Banned
Me again.

Found this video on youtube of the XL2411T (monitor I want to buy). Dude in the video does a response test, but I can still see a pretty clear/visible train when the white cube goes down. Almost no difference with the other screen in his video

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlyNWKUiVHc

Is this normal? I figured 120hz would reduce this a lot, but maybe he isn't using 120hz? No idea.
You can't see the benefits of a 120Hz monitor using a 60Hz monitor, silly :p

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
DEALWATCH: Nice CPU cooler for $15. Doubt anyone will get it because of the time limit though.

You can't see the benefits of a 120Hz monitor using a 60Hz monitor, silly :p
Youtube @ 30FPS and I can tell the difference thanks to the exposure of the camera.
NoRéN;82246953 said:
Damn, really?

I'm really underestimating my build then.
An i3 and a $150 GPU today is pretty beastly all things considered.
It's why I put together the old $450 build. I wanted to get some benches up, but it's kinda just been... sitting around and half parted out and scavenged.

Dialed back my overclock from 4.6 1.325 to 4.5ghz 1.250. My max temp while stress testing dropped from 80 to 75. Also turned on dynamic and adaptive voltage. That should be better then having a constant voltage shouldn't it?

Umm guys I'm scared about my i3 2100.

I was playing LoL for an hour when I noticed my FPS was around 19FPS in ARAM. I thought it was just the map since I read FPS issues about it. Decided to look at HWMonitor. Holy crap 100c, and steady 0RPM. I shut my PC down and opened it. I dont see anything wrong with the fan. It still felt smooth when I tried spinning it with my finger. Gonna let it cooldown for an hour before testing again. I'm afraid it might blow up or something. Also yes I checked the BIOS and touched the heatsink too. Way too hot for false reports.

How did this happen? I never had any CPU fan die on me. I use stock HSF. It's only 2 years old by next month. I rarely let my PC on overnight. It's usually maybe 5 times a month.

Ugh I'm a bit of a dilemma, I managed to scrap enough spare funds together for a PC upgrade but now I'm conflicted. I currently run a Phenom II x4 955 @ 3.2ghz with a MSI 6850 Cyclone OC, in regards to future games like BF4, Watch Dogs etc would it be more wise to invest in a very beefy GFX card and keep the Phenom or go for a i5 3570k CPU and keep my 6850 for a little longer? What would make the most financial sense?

kennah

Save longer and upgrade the whole thing.

Or if you really want to - upgrade cpu/mobo and wait for a good deal on a video card.

kharma45

I'd probably swing the other way and upgrade the GPU first and just overclock the CPU to 4GHz to alleviate the bottleneck. The Phenom II can still get by all right.

Bobb

I am getting a second 7970 for crossfire and I know I need to upgrade my psu.

I am stuck between:
Corsair AX760
Corsair HX750
EVGA Supernova NEX750G

Or could anyone recommend me a good 750w psu?

kharma45

I am getting a second 7970 for crossfire and I know I need to upgrade my psu.

I am stuck between:
Corsair AX760
Corsair HX750
EVGA Supernova NEX750G

Or could anyone recommend me a good 750w psu?

Crossfire isn't an ideal set-up. Can be issues with game profiles on new releases and AMD can be a bit slower than Nvidia on getting them sorted. Also if you're gaming on a multi-monitor set-up it's to be avoided.

What is your budget for a PSU?

Save longer and upgrade the whole thing.

Or if you really want to - upgrade cpu/mobo and wait for a good deal on a video card.

I'd probably swing the other way and upgrade the GPU first and just overclock the CPU to 4GHz to alleviate the bottleneck. The Phenom II can still get by all right.

This thread is fast as always, thanks! :) Well if I'm quite a bit lucky I might be able to sell my GFX card, CPU and Mobo and squeeze enough money out of it for a 7950 soo...

Lets assume the best case, i5 and 7950, go or no? :p Also would my Be Quiet 550w Straight Power Dual Rail PSU still be enough to handle that?

EDIT: What's the opinion on the ASRock Z77 Pro3? It feels weird to leave GIGABYTE but I want to save every cent I can :p

kharma45

This thread is fast as always, thanks! :) Well if I'm quite a bit lucky I might be able to sell my GFX card, CPU and Mobo and squeeze enough money out of it for a 7950 soo...

Lets assume the best case, i5 and 7950, go or no? :p Also would my Be Quiet 550w Straight Power Dual Rail PSU still be enough to handle that?

Yeah that'd be a sweet upgrade and your PSU will be fine. Bit of an older unit by the looks of it but shouldn't be an issue.

Bobb

Crossfire isn't an ideal set-up. Can be issues with game profiles on new releases and AMD can be a bit slower than Nvidia on getting them sorted. Also if you're gaming on a multi-monitor set-up it's to be avoided.

What is your budget for a PSU?

I want to spend at most $150 CAD before taxes.
I will play games on my single Korean 27inch 1440 96hz monitor. I hear the latest beta driver for AMD has fixed a lot of things. Would you recommend me selling off my video card and getting a 780 instead?

Koroviev

EDIT: What's the opinion on the ASRock Z77 Pro3? It feels weird to leave GIGABYTE but I want to save every cent I can :p

I have a very lightly used Gigabyte 7950 that I should be looking to sell after today. Bought it new back in March and have barely used it beyond the card sitting idle. I'd be happy to give you a deal on it if you're in the US.

I have a very lightly used Gigabyte 7950 that I should be looking to sell after today. Bought it new back in March and have barely used it beyond the card sitting idle. I'd be happy to give you a deal on it if you're in the US.

Whoa thanks for the offer as a GIGABYTE 7950 is one I would get but sadly I'm from Europe >.< Really thanks though!

kennah

I will play games on my single Korean 27inch 1440 96hz monitor. I hear the latest beta driver for AMD has fixed a lot of things. Would you recommend me selling off my video card and getting a 780 instead?

Dude, where are you getting a 7970 for $150CAD?

kennah

Sorry, I meant to say I wanted a new power supply for $150.
I got my 2nd Asus 7970 DC2 for $270 after rebates.

Hah, sorry, was pre-coffee post :)

Canada doesn't get the PSU deals that the US does :( Keep an eye out for something XFX or Seasonic.

kharma45

I do prefer a single powerful GPU but Crossfire is better than it was, and a single 7970 at 1.1-1.2GHz isn't that far off a stock 780.

PSU wise at present this is what I'd get, comes in at $120

http://www.ncix.ca/products/?affiliateid=7474144&sku=78946&vpn=P1750BBEFX&manufacture=XFX

Alright thanks for the help so far! :D Not to bug any more but would the ASRock z77 that I posted in my edit fine?

What sort of budget are you talking?

What sort of budget are you talking?

Ehehe well actually I just placed my order since if I order before 5pm which is in 15 minutes the order will still be processed today... :(

But my budget was 350€ and since I need a new HDD to replace my IDE ones together with the i5 and the ASRock I checked out at 342€ soo I literally had 8€ left :/

Zaph

Reseated my cooler this weekend because I was slightly rushed the first time around. I know idle temps are mostly meaningless, but god damn I love Noctua - these are miles better than what I was getting with the H60.

24c room temperature

JkHu6hT.png

But anyways, quick questions. I want to build some positive pressure airflow, is it terrible to use one of the two top slots (closest to the front) on the Bitfenix Prodigy for an intake fan? Air is being exhausted out the rear slot.

kharma45

Ehehe well actually I just placed my order since if I order before 5pm which is in 15 minutes the order will still be processed today... :(

But my budget was 350€ and since I need a new HDD to replace my IDE ones together with the i5 and the ASRock I checked out at 342€ soo I literally had 8€ left :/

Never mind then.

Did a little research, did not know they were re-branded Seasonic. Thanks for your help!

Yeah they're just the X-Series with a different badge on them. Top, top units.

Crisco

Banned
Reseated my cooler this weekend because I was slightly rushed the first time around. I know idle temps are mostly meaningless, but god damn I love Noctua - these are miles better than what I was getting with the H60.

24c room temperature

JkHu6hT.png

But anyways, quick questions. I want to build some positive pressure airflow, is it terrible to use one of the two top slots (closest to the front) on the Bitfenix Prodigy for an intake fan? Air is being exhausted out the rear slot.

Hahaha, 800mhz is barely even on. Pretty cool though.

Azulsky

Now that you have made me look it up the Bentley Continental GT does it in 8:40 IN STYLE

Just wish I would have gotten a prime specimen on my first try.

NoRéN

An i3 and a $150 GPU today is pretty beastly all things considered.
It's why I put together the old $450 build. I wanted to get some benches up, but it's kinda just been... sitting around and half parted out and scavenged.

I don't know why but I guess i just get intimidated. i read all these posts with people running sweet $300 cards on sli and I think "no way is my modest 7850 gonna run what they are running".

I just stick to low-medium settings tops when gaming.

mkenyon

Banned
NoRéN;82333329 said:
I don't know why but I guess i just get intimidated. i read all these posts with people running sweet $300 cards on sli and I think "no way is my modest 7850 gonna run what they are running".

I just stick to low-medium settings tops when gaming.
Most the folks with those kinds of setups have specific needs. 120Hz panels, 1440p/1600p monitors, things like that.

Shambles

Umm guys I'm scared about my i3 2100.

I was playing LoL for an hour when I noticed my FPS was around 19FPS in ARAM. I thought it was just the map since I read FPS issues about it. Decided to look at HWMonitor. Holy crap 100c, and steady 0RPM. I shut my PC down and opened it. I dont see anything wrong with the fan. It still felt smooth when I tried spinning it with my finger. Gonna let it cooldown for an hour before testing again. I'm afraid it might blow up or something. Also yes I checked the BIOS and touched the heatsink too. Way too hot for false reports.

How did this happen? I never had any CPU fan die on me. I use stock HSF. It's only 2 years old by next month. I rarely let my PC on overnight. It's usually maybe 5 times a month.

Stuff breaks. Bad luck for a fan to break after only a couple years but your CPU should be fine. Your performance tanked because your CPU was throttling itself to protect itself from thermal damage. It's almost impossible to kill a chip with heat these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom