• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PandaL

Going to build a new PC for my buddy and set it up for him.

Ivy Bridge or Haswell? gaming only.

Ivg Bridge at this point of time offers the best performance/dollar.

What are people's thoughts on waiting for new GPUs? I have roughly $1k to put together a build, could probably go as high as $1,200 but not much more than that. The 7950 I could get for $200 right now and that seems like a great deal, but I know AMD's newest cards are right around the corner and Maxwell is probably only a few months after that. What to do? Note this would also be my first build.

Edit: I'd like it to last me for at least a couple years being able to run games at 1080p, single monitor.

You should wait because its just 10 more days for the official reveal.

Updated: http://bit.ly/GAFPC2013
LMK any input at all here or via PM. Main thing atm is finding a cheap Haswell board to round out everything.

Will update image and links and some of the OP this week after feedback.

May I know why you updated all the CPU's & MB's to Haswell?

Also 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX beats the Black Caviar in performance. I think this info. should be added.

Hi guys, I just bought an LG LED monitor. I thought everything would be okay out of the box, but it seems that the colors suck. They suck badly.

Can anyone tell me what they might've used to calibrate their monitors?

Or if I should use certain color correction tools on my pc or something?

I have a GTX 770 and a LG 22EN43T-B.

Thanks.

Bizzity

So my computer has been aging along on life support for quite some time now, and I'm ready to start looking into an upgrade plan, however, I don't have the funds to do it all at once. I'm hoping maybe someone can help put me into an upgrade path that isn't necessarily an all at once solution. Here are my current specs, no giggling please. :)

CPU: AMD Athlon X3 455
Mobo: HP M2N68-LA (Narra3) (giant PoS)
RAM: 4 GB, not sure on the specs
GPU: Radeon HD 5570
PSU: hec HP485D 485W ATX12V Power Supply
HD: 585 gb not sure on brand, but old as dirt.

Main uses are gaming, emulation, and basic use. I do need to have at least two outputs on the video card, as it runs to to my TV. Also, I don't always notice a huge difference between 30/60 fps, but I do notice changing framerates, so stability is probably more important than consistent 60 to me.

I know that pretty much everything needs upgraded, however I would rather piecemeal the upgrades out over a few months if possible.

Shambles

So my computer has been aging along on life support for quite some time now, and I'm ready to start looking into an upgrade plan, however, I don't have the funds to do it all at once. I'm hoping maybe someone can help put me into an upgrade path that isn't necessarily an all at once solution. Here are my current specs, no giggling please. :)

CPU: AMD Athlon X3 455
Mobo: HP M2N68-LA (Narra3) (giant PoS)
RAM: 4 GB, not sure on the specs
GPU: Radeon HD 5570
PSU: hec HP485D 485W ATX12V Power Supply
HD: 585 gb not sure on brand, but old as dirt.

Main uses are gaming, emulation, and basic use. I do need to have at least two outputs on the video card, as it runs to to my TV. Also, I don't always notice a huge difference between 30/60 fps, but I do notice changing framerates, so stability is probably more important than consistent 60 to me.

I know that pretty much everything needs upgraded, however I would rather piecemeal the upgrades out over a few months if possible.

The CPU/Motherboard/RAM have to be upgraded at the same time so that will be your most expensive part. I'd also say it would be the most notable upgrade for gaming. An SSD would be the cheapest way to make your system feel a lot snappier but it won't do much for your gaming. Personally I'd go CPU/MB/RAM, then SSD, then GPU but that's just me. With a modern CPU you might get a fair bit more out of the 5570.

If you're looking to upgrade you'll also have to give us a budget to work with. Or you can just look at the sample builds in the OP and pretty much just pick your price point.

Bizzity

The CPU/Motherboard/RAM have to be upgraded at the same time so that will be your most expensive part. I'd also say it would be the most notable upgrade for gaming. An SSD would be the cheapest way to make your system feel a lot snappier but it won't do much for your gaming. Personally I'd go CPU/MB/RAM, then SSD, then GPU but that's just me. With a modern CPU you might get a fair bit more out of the 5570.

If you're looking to upgrade you'll also have to give us a budget to work with. Or you can just look at the sample builds in the OP and pretty much just pick your price point.

I suppose I haven't really decided on a budget yet persay. I don't want to spend too much, but ideally I'd like to at least get parts that will be further upgradeable down the line. I don't want to get a motherboard that will only be useable with the processor I get at the time. That said I suppose if my best upgrade is a mobo/cpu/ram at the same time, my budget would be around 300 or less for those 3 alone.

Addnan

I suppose I haven't really decided on a budget yet persay. I don't want to spend too much, but ideally I'd like to at least get parts that will be further upgradeable down the line. I don't want to get a motherboard that will only be useable with the processor I get at the time. That said I suppose if my best upgrade is a mobo/cpu/ram at the same time, my budget would be around 300 or less for those 3 alone.

This is how motherboards work now. The one you will buy won't be compatible with coming generation of processors, but then again you wouldn't want to upgrade to the next gen of CPU since the jump is so tiny.

The End

I'm just building this now:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1EpDB

TL;DR i5-4570, 8GB, 760

with deals & scrounged parts I've managed to put it together for $700 and change.

The altogether expected death of my Core 2 Quad system came at an inopportune time, while my wife was fine with spending the money to replace the PC, I'm more than likely going to have to sacrifice my PS4 pre-order. I wish I could have followed my own advice and waited for the 800 series next year, but I couldn't go 4 months without a PC.

I'll live without Killzone, Infamous is going to hurt, and I'm hoping that I'll be able to finagle a PS4 before Destiny hits, but in the meantime I guess I've got plenty of games in my steam backlog that i never played because they didn't run well on my old box.

And there's always Titanfall.

The End

There's nothing wrong with it (and if you do plan to go SLI at some point, it'll come in handy) , it's just more than you need. Ultimately, it's a good price, so whatever, go with it, it's not like you're going to be pulling 850 watts all the time anyway. The number is an "up to" spec, so if you were pulling close to the full 850, yes, you'd be using more power, but it's just headroom if you're only pulling (say) 400.

DaBoss

Hey, I need help upgrading my friend's computer. It is a pre-built HP PC.

Here is a link to the computer's product page:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c03168425

Mobo: IPISB-CU (Carmel2)
CPU: Intel Core i3 2120
RAM: 4 GB DDR3-1333

So my friend got a Gigabyte 650 Ti Boost and wants to use it in his computer. He was using Zotac GT 610 before. He changed his power supply to a 550W one (Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold) so he can use the video card and it is working fine, but when attempts to install the video card, it causes the computer to be stuck on the HP splash screen (ESC key doesn't work) and does a few short beeps between long pauses and then on the 4th one it beeps another few times quickly and the screen goes black.

He did connect the 6-pin connector to the video card. The video card is seated properly. The PCI-E port is not faulty since his old video card still works. He talked to tech support and they just said they don't know about whether there is an issue with it (so in other words, useless lol). The drivers of the old card has been uninstalled.

I'm confused as to how to help him. I feel like the problem has to do with the fact it is a pre-built computer. So any ideas GAF? Thanks in advance.

PandaL

I'm just building this now:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1EpDB

TL;DR i5-4570, 8GB, 760

with deals & scrounged parts I've managed to put it together for $700 and change.

The altogether expected death of my Core 2 Quad system came at an inopportune time, while my wife was fine with spending the money to replace the PC, I'm more than likely going to have to sacrifice my PS4 pre-order. I wish I could have followed my own advice and waited for the 800 series next year, but I couldn't go 4 months without a PC.

I'll live without Killzone, Infamous is going to hurt, and I'm hoping that I'll be able to finagle a PS4 before Destiny hits, but in the meantime I guess I've got plenty of games in my steam backlog that i never played because they didn't run well on my old box.

And there's always Titanfall.

1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX beats the Black Caviar in performance. Google for reviews.

Af far as I've read, the difference between 1600MHz & 1866MHz memory in games is nothing. Check this RAM http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f312800cl9d8gbxl

Buy Windows 8 (maybe 8.1 next month) instead of 7 because some features of DX-11.1 will not be supported in win 7.

Try to get a GTX 770 or atleast 760 OC.

Seanspeed

Banned
Blacks are higher reliability drives. Dont shortcut on data storage.
For 2-3x the cost, its not worth it for most people.

EDIT: Although that's not a bad deal for a Black. Still.....if you're trying to cut down on costs, the Blue's are still highly recommended and I haven't read any complaints of unreliability from them.

The End

1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX beats the Black Caviar in performance. Google for reviews.

Af far as I've read, the difference between 1600MHz & 1866MHz memory in games is nothing. Check this RAM http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f312800cl9d8gbxl

Buy Windows 8 (maybe 8.1 next month) instead of 7 because some features of DX-11.1 will not be supported in win 7.

Try to get a GTX 770 or atleast 760 OC.

All of the storage I have already. The WD RE, for example, was salvaged from a backup appliance that was bought and never used. It's the super-high-runtime drives from WD, they usually go for $200 a pop. The ram was part of the newegg sale, and for what's compatible with my motherboard, was the best deal. I got Win 7 pro from work for $10, at the point where 8.1 is worth upgrading to, that's also only $10.

I got the 760 Superclocked (I'm not sure if it shows on there), but that's my max I can spend on a GPU.

Thanks for looking though :)

Addnan

EVGA Hadron launched, or is about to. £167 here, $190 over in USA. Comes with a gold rated 500W PSU.

9mdHV2G.png

TZ0Nh6R.png

kennah

Kinda want one, they're cute.

EDIT: oof, 139mm max cooler compatibility and not compatible with Closed Loop coolers at all? Yikes.

kharma45

I'm about ready to lose the fucking plot with the fucking IO panel that comes with the MSI G45 board. If I try to use it the fucking thing blocks me from getting the motherboard on to the standoffs.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

EDIT: oof, 139mm max cooler compatibility and not compatible with Closed Loop coolers at all? Yikes.
That's really odd. For that price and what people seem to be doing with them I'd expect that at the very least.

kennah

That's really odd. For that price and what people seem to be doing with them I'd expect that at the very least.

The (bigger, uglier) Hydro one is compatible. Very strange indeed. Closed loop makes so much sense in a case that small. So that means you're limited to seeing a HUGEASS Noctua in the window or maybe something by silverstone or the stock Intel cooler.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm about ready to lose the fucking plot with the fucking IO panel that comes with the MSI G45 board. If I try to use it the fucking thing blocks me from getting the motherboard on to the standoffs.
Gotta push and hold while you screw in one of the 9 holes that line up, eventually only getting 7 or 8 in out of 9. No problem!
Ivg Bridge at this point of time offers the best performance/dollar.

May I know why you updated all the CPU's & MB's to Haswell?

Also 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX beats the Black Caviar in performance. I think this info. should be added.
Price difference is becoming marginal even if Ivy saves you $20-$40 and I'd like to have all the builds on the same socket if possible. Maybe I've just grown meek and accepting of PC hardware's fate (Intel's bullshit) though.

The 1TB platter Blues are real quick, it's more for the idea that the Blacks are for a 2TB and 5 year warranty as an alternative.

Haint

Prepare yourselves, a storm is coming.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/...he-future-of-gaming-new-hardware-coming-soon/

"So guys, I have $600, should I get a PS4, upgrade my Core 2 Duo, or buy a Steambox?"

We're lucky to even get PC releases of major titles, never mind timely, half way optimized, or working at all. Red headed stepchild is too generous a description of how most pubs treat PC releases. I do not see how Valve are going to convince AMD/Nvidia to devote significant resources to Linux driver development AND get dev/pubs to do the same with every title.

Zaph

Whoops, don't want to derail this thread - there's a discussion for this here.

Was only making a joke about the inevitable incoming repeat 'which is better' questions when whatever the fuck Gabe is planning gets announced.

scogoth

I just read that as more work required to install closed loop coolers. Nothing is incompatible with a dremel!

EDIT: Just read there is a "Hydro" version coming.

HADRON_HYDRO_HERO.png

Azulsky

I've built before, this one is just being a bastard.

Just teasing

I lost all fear of hurting parts once Intel introduced the current retention mechanism on the 11xx sockets. I swear I thought I was going to crush the cpu the first time I installed one. These days its all "bite the pillow" for me.

kennah

Am I the only one that doesn't have a problem with the 115x mechanism? Maybe that's because my CPU history goes back all the way to 486 upgrades :p

The End

Just teasing

I lost all fear of hurting parts once Intel introduced the current retention mechanism on the 11xx sockets. I swear I thought I was going to crush the cpu the first time I installed one. These days its all "bite the pillow" for me.

oh god

it's been a while, and socketing the CPU was always my point of maximum pants-shitting.

(just to be clear: mobo into case, chip into mobo, cooler onto chip still holds, right?)

Dawg

Me again.

Found this video on youtube of the XL2411T (monitor I want to buy). Dude in the video does a response test, but I can still see a pretty clear/visible train when the white cube goes down. Almost no difference with the other screen in his video

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlyNWKUiVHc

Is this normal? I figured 120hz would reduce this a lot, but maybe he isn't using 120hz? No idea.

Tonezorz

I've built before, this one is just being a bastard.

I only managed because the case had a post in place of where one of the stand-offs would go, which held it while I installed the rest of the screws.

The most scary part of this new build for me continues to be the video card - pushing it into the PCIE slot, and the weight of it putting stress on the board.

kidko

oh god

it's been a while, and socketing the CPU was always my point of maximum pants-shitting.

(just to be clear: mobo into case, chip into mobo, cooler onto chip still holds, right?)

Nah, everything onto mobo, then mobo into case is the way to go! How you gonna get that cooler backplate on if the mobo's already tied down?

The End

Just teasing

Nah, everything onto mobo, then mobo into case is the way to go! How you gonna get that cooler backplate on if the mobo's already tied down?

funny story

the last time I built a PC was in... 2006 I think, I used an FX-55 with a rinky dink $8 cooler, had it for like... two weeks before the cooler popped off and the chip/mobo fried

Dawg

I'd even say 750W is overkill.

I have 500W (with a gtx 670FTW and i5-3570k) and I probably don't even use 50% of it. I could upgrade to a GTX 770 without any problems.

I have this sexy beast:

PC_Power___Cooling_MK_III_Silencer_500W_Netzteil_007.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom