• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
For that kind of money you should be looking at Socket 2011, not 1150.

You're suggesting Ivy Bridge-E then?

Also, one of my main reasons for the Maximus VI Extreme is the integrated 802.11ac and BT 4.0 support. If there's another good mobo with good OC capabilites that has that, I'm in.

My friend is trying to get into PC gaming and for some reason, is intent on getting a pre-built even though I've given him multiple builds for cheaper.

He's looking at this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229478

only problem is, I'm pretty sure 350w is not going to be enough.

He will buy that PC and complain that PC gaming is too expensive and your parts get outdated to quickly. Then he will never come back to PC gaming because he did not do it right the first time. Stop him.

Crisco

Banned
According to that guide that I'm following(link is a few posts up), running OCCT for an hour or so is enough to test stability for overclocking. What say you oc-gaf?

It's good enough to determine stability for another bump in frequency or decrease in voltage. To determine long term stability for a 24/7 overclock, you're going to want to run Prime95 at least overnight, preferably for 16-24 hours.

mkenyon

Banned

Also, one of my main reasons for the Maximus VI Extreme is the integrated 802.11ac and BT 4.0 support. If there's another good mobo with good OC capabilites that has that, I'm in.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106062

+

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131975

Blickow. The ASRock Extreme6/AC also has it.

I thought part of the reason you'd want the extreme is the PLX chip for x16/x16 PCI-E 3.0.

kennah

Those're pretty silly things to make your decision on. For less than $200 you can surely get a good expansion card for wifi and a usb dongle for BT.

Azulsky

Yeah I heard all that about n but my draft n Airport Extreme worked with the final spec just fine. I'm sure this draft ac stuff will be the same.

We can only pray so

Looks like for a very small time window I will have 2 U3014's lol. I hopes the replacement works.

So I upped my CPU multiplier from 40 to 43, and shit kicked off. The thing wouldn't boot, so I upped the voltage from 1.13 to 1.15 to 1.18. Nothing. So I brought it back to 42. Same stuff happened. I put it back to 40/1.13, it boots, and Windows demands I restore the system to a previous working state. The result is that the driver for my wireless adapter is missing, as is my installation of OCCT. There's no chance of the system having been damaged by any of this, is there?

Sigh, not being able to even boot on 42/1.18 is kinda shitty for a 3570K, isn't it? Luck of the draw, I guess.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So I upped my CPU multiplier from 40 to 43, and shit kicked off. The thing wouldn't boot, so I upped the voltage from 1.13 to 1.15 to 1.18. Nothing. So I brought it back to 42. Same stuff happened. I put it back to 40/1.13, it boots, and Windows demands I restore the system to a previous working state. The result is that the driver for my wireless adapter is missing, as is my installation of OCCT. There's no chance of the system having been damaged by any of this, is there?

Sigh, not being able to even boot on 42/1.18 is kinda shitty for a 3570K, isn't it? Luck of the draw, I guess.
1.18 is wimpy volts.

I'm on 1.4

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Updated. LMK feedback.

Hazaro's PC Build Sheet - http://bit.ly/GAFPC2013

Old: http://i.imgur.com/IxwIZtd.png

Updated:
fhKIgp9.png

NJDEN

I have a fairly relevant desktop when it comes to current components, but I fear I will be needing yet another upgrade by mid to late 2014. The only thing that bothers me about upgrades is the change in Intel processor sockets. Does one stick with LGA 1155's, or do I move up to the more recent Broadwell LGA 1150 sockets, or perhaps just wait entirely for the 2015 Skylake chipset? My gripe is when you upgrade the processor, that usually means its time for a new motherboard and heat sink as well.

Azulsky

I have a fairly relevant desktop when it comes to current components, but I fear I will be needing yet another upgrade by mid to late 2014. The only thing that bothers me about upgrades is the change in Intel processor sockets. Does one stick with LGA 1155's, or do I move up to the more recent Broadwell LGA 1150 sockets, or perhaps just wait entirely for the 2015 Skylake chipset? My gripe is when you upgrade the processor, that usually means its time for a new motherboard and heat sink as well.

Totally up in the air whether us plebs are due to get a Broadwell socket.

Sockets are changing pretty much every CPU cycle. Its because they keep throwing more shit onto the CPU, so much of the old stuff that is on your mobo is unnecessary.

From what we know Skylake is gonna be a big deal due to DDR4 memory controller and SATA Express.

CPU coolers have been relatively constant. I have a collection of Intel stock coolers and they all look the same to me. The only real difference is between the Xeon Sockets and the Consumer level sockets.

mkenyon

Banned
Keeping the same socket means retarding progress. As CPUs have new and different functions, those need to be accounted for with pins.

Though Broadwell is seeming to bugger things a bit, it has been that the Tick->Tock has a consistent socket. When you go back to the tick (two years later), time for a new socket.

I think where this gets confusing is that people don't realize they have three active CPU/Chipset categories at any given time. Consumer (would be IvyBridge), Enthusiast (IvyBridge-E), and server (IvyBridge-EP). They were/are on the Z77, X79, and... C606? respectively.

As far as your heatsink gripe goes, the configuration for those has remained constant from 1156, to 1155, to 1150, which is now something like 6+ years.
As a Texans fan, you're fucked. But you're also right.
Awww yiss.

scogoth

Keeping the same socket means retarding progress. As CPUs have new and different functions, those need to be accounted for with pins.

Though Broadwell is seeming to bugger things a bit, it has been that the Tick->Tock has a consistent socket. When you go back to the tick (two years later), time for a new socket.

I think where this gets confusing is that people don't realize they have three active CPU/Chipset categories at any given time. Consumer (would be IvyBridge), Enthusiast (IvyBridge-E), and server (IvyBridge-EP). They were/are on the Z77, X79, and... C606? respectively.

As far as your heatsink gripe goes, the configuration for those has remained constant from 1156, to 1155, to 1150, which is now something like 6+ years.

Awww yiss.

Doesn't help that consumer sockets are on a 2 year cycle and server sockets on a 4 year cycle and enthusiast CPUs are cut down server CPUs so you get a weird delay on enthusiast sockets like IB-E coming out after haswell.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
The constant socket switching is a real pain, AMD even needed to update all of it's stuff and it really didn't want to.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
you're highballing the 7950 price a little, or are you just trying to make the sheet as clean as possible? with rebates they're going for as little as $180, $205 without.

Tablo

hmm.. well i was hoping to run triple monitors on one card

It's not as if you can't run three monitors off one 780, it's more a performance concern as it takes alot more power. Wait it out till after the new AMD cards and we'll see how the dust settles in terms of pricing, Nvidia could have some significant price cuts.

mkenyon

Banned
hmm.. well i was hoping to run triple monitors on one card
The 690 is two 680s. They just happen to be on the same PCB.

In any case, when you are looking high end like that, you'll get a lot more for your money soon. A single R9-280X (7970 successor) might be the best way to go.

Any of you guys using Linux? I enjoyed Gabe Newell's speech at Linuxcon and am eating up everything he said. Keep pushing back my build as more info is available on AMD 2013 GPUs and Valve's steambox vision. I am in the long haul with PC, so I want to get it right this time as I am mature enough to appreciate the ecosystem around PC.

mkenyon

Banned
Very little Linux support. I don't see much changing in the next two years, but maybe someday. Fortunately, if that support ever gets serious, it won't require hardware changes.

I prefer Debian Mint over windows, personally. So would love for that to happen.

But what if the Steambox has linux built in as it has been rumored to have. Wouldn't support ramp up drastically as the system will no doubt be a success in the home console market? Is the optimization from one OS to the other that difficult to achieve upon new software release?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Typo on enthusiast. "i5 4770k" and "i7 4670k" Your GPU price differences are also off.
Aw snap, thank you.

The GPU prices are roughly 2 or 3 models after rebate in the US that hopefully won't go too wonky.
There are some crazy discounts that have been popping in and out and I wasn't sure where to draw a line so I kind of muddled it out somewhere in the middle. But yeah the 7950 price I had at $200, but felt they wouldn't last, but I bumped it up higher than it should have been.

I've updated the list, probably should do less updating at 3am after DOTA.

Standard build with a Quad maybe should be the default? That's an insane amount of oomph for $600.
IA7iMrQ.png

But what if the Steambox has linux built in as it has been rumored to have. Wouldn't support ramp up drastically as the system will no doubt be a success in the home console market? Is the optimization from one OS to the other that difficult to achieve upon new software release?

A lot of PC games use DirectX only, which is made by MS and only run on Windows. So unless game devs start using OpenGL as well, the support won't be there. On the bright side, there are more smaller games using opengl these days so things might improve in the future.

Also if you're even considering Linux for gaming, go Nvidia. AMD drivers are horrid on Linux at the moment.

mkenyon

Banned
I think he means Linux Mint Debian Edition.
Yup. It's a great way to transition and learn the basics while still having something familiar and pretty.
A lot of PC games use DirectX only, which is made by MS and only run on Windows. So unless game devs start using OpenGL as well, the support won't be there. On the bright side, there are more smaller games using opengl these days so things might improve in the future.

Also if you're even considering Linux for gaming, go Nvidia. AMD drivers are horrid on Linux at the moment.
Pretty much.

Great to know that if I just wanted to go indiePC, I can go ahead without Windows in the short term.

i still wonder then how Gabe Newell plans on selling the Valve box if most games won't be able to run on their platform. Guess we will have to wait a week to find out. I am hoping support can come sooner rather than later. Would love to ditch Windows for a more open platform like Linux. I mean i just plan on gaming and nothing else with my PC. Would be amazing to have an OS better optimized for gaming performance on a PC.

tarheel91

Aw snap, thank you.

The GPU prices are roughly 2 or 3 models after rebate in the US that hopefully won't go too wonky.
There are some crazy discounts that have been popping in and out and I wasn't sure where to draw a line so I kind of muddled it out somewhere in the middle. But yeah the 7950 price I had at $200, but felt they wouldn't last, but I bumped it up higher than it should have been.

I've updated the list, probably should do less updating at 3am after DOTA.

Standard build with a Quad maybe should be the default? That's an insane amount of oomph for $600.
fhKIgp9.png

By GPU prices I mean the Enthusiast was showing one +X whereas the Extreme was showing another +X. Looks like you fixed it though.

kharma45

Giving the G45 a blast with my 2500K to see how it clocks it. 20 mins in to prime at 4.4GHz at 1.38v (it's high but I'll work my way down) and I'm barely going past 70 degrees. Might try for 4.5 in 40 mins or so if it passes the first hour.

kharma45

Edit - I don't get vdroop, do I? Just had a quick look to ensure I knew what I was on about ha.

Nope it's holding rock steady at 1.3811v, well according to Core Temp. Is it worth checking it with anything else like CPU-Z to see?

I had tried for 4.5GHz at 1.35v and it just crashed after 2-3 mins of Prime, so starting with this and I'll jut have a play around to see how far I can get. The G45 is still a fairly low end board all things considered so I'm not going to expect too much from it.

Mr_eX

I just upgraded from a Phenom II X4 960 to an i5 4670k. I'm thinking about upgrading my video card next. Would it be worth it to upgrade from a GTX 570 to a GTX 770 or should I wait for next years model?

kennah

I just upgraded from a Phenom II X4 960 to an i5 4670k. I'm thinking about upgrading my video card next. Would it be worth it to upgrade from a GTX 570 to a GTX 770 or should I wait for next years model?

If you can wait, wait, but a 570 to a 770 is a pretty big jump (look up comparison benchmarks for 570vs680). I think the new architecture of the 780/upcoming cards is a better thing to get if you're looking for the mid-high end.

Crisco

Banned
Does that motherboard have measurement points? I honestly wouldn't trust any software to give me accurate voltage readings. Break out the multimeter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom