• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

It's strictly just for gaming & web browsing.

The parts are going to cost me $1809.00 (inc. GST) that's Aussie dollars.

That 's the cheapest I could find all from one place, all in stock, without dicking around too much.

750w is a bit overkill but it depends on what the price is relative to other units. I'd ditch the Blu-ray writer, when are you really going to use it?

Motherboard I'd swap to one of the Biostar's in the OP or the MSI G45 Gaming, should save you some money over the Gigabyte. What sort of price is a 7970 where you're buying relative to the 770?

750w is a bit overkill but it depends on what the price is relative to other units. I'd ditch the Blu-ray writer, when are you really going to use it?

Motherboard I'd swap to one of the Biostar's in the OP or the MSI G45 Gaming, should save you some money over the Gigabyte. What sort of price is a 7970 where you're buying relative to the 770?

The Blu ray is only $84 so I'm cool with that. The PSU I'm pretty clueless about but it's $165, is that expensive? (sorry, noob here).

The 7970s are $399-479 depending on which one and they're only 3gig. The 770 I'm getting is 4gig & $565. What's the performance difference like?

As for the motherboard, my friend (who knows a whole lot more than me) advised that if I'm getting a Gigabyte card then I better stick with a Gigabyte MB.

kharma45

The Blu ray is only $84 so I'm cool with that. The PSU I'm pretty clueless about but it's $165, is that expensive? (sorry, noob here).

The 7970s are $399-479 depending on which one and they're only 3gig. The 770 I'm getting is 4gig & $565. What's the performance difference like?

As for the motherboard, my friend (who knows a whole lot more than me) advised that if I'm getting a Gigabyte card then I better stick with a Gigabyte MB.

That's strange advice, there is no need to stick to the same brands as it brings no benefit. If the G45 Gaming is cheaper get it instead and save yourself the cash.

Blu-ray may be $84 but if you're not going to be writing discs and watching films on it often it's a frivolous waste of money. Check if where you're buying from has this PSU, a fair bit cheaper and still plenty of power for a single GPU http://www.ple.com.au/ViewItem.aspx?InventoryItemId=610162

As for the 7970 at present 3GB VRAM is more than plenty, there is no benefit really to even having more than 2GB in most scenarios. That could change down the line but the difference even then between 3GB and 4GB won't be much. Performance wise they're pretty much the same, so unless you need CUDA I wouldn't spend the extra on a 770. It's another big saving to make as well as the BR drive and the PSU. Money that could go towards getting a 4670K over that 4670 and a cooler like the Hyper 212 to overclock it.

scoobs

So I couldnt figure out why my mobo wasnt getting any power.. turns out it was the damn little 2 prong pins for the power button/reset/etc... the +/- were backwards. Lesson learned: pay attention to the smallest details.

Fuck yes my PC is so smooth, this is nerd heaven.

MSI Z87-G45 Gaming LGA 1150 Intel Z87
i74770k 3.5ghz
evga superclocked gtx770
16 (8x2) G.Skill Ripjaw X series
Corsair 800D full tower

I will caution anyone thinking about going with the Corsair 800D case, the hotswap panel is kind of a piece of shit, and doesn't work too well w/ SSDs. Just a word of advice... mount ur SSD(s) somewhere else in the case, there is plenty of room.

That's strange advice, there is no need to stick to the same brands as it brings no benefit. If the G45 Gaming is cheaper get it instead and save yourself the cash.

Blu-ray may be $84 but if you're not going to be writing discs and watching films on it often it's a frivolous waste of money. Check if where you're buying from has this PSU, a fair bit cheaper and still plenty of power for a single GPU http://www.ple.com.au/ViewItem.aspx?InventoryItemId=610162

As for the 7970 at present 3GB VRAM is more than plenty, there is no benefit really to even having more than 2GB in most scenarios. That could change down the line but the difference even then between 3GB and 4GB won't be much. Performance wise they're pretty much the same, so unless you need CUDA I wouldn't spend the extra on a 770. It's another big saving to make as well as the BR drive and the PSU. Money that could go towards getting a 4670K over that 4670 and a cooler like the Hyper 212 to overclock it.

Thanks for the advice man, I will look into your alternatives :)

Easy mistake scoobs, always have to pay extra attention to the mobo manual for that bit I find.

I'll give you a hint for the future so you don't have to use the manual:
- Text on power switch plug is always down; text on reset switch plug is always up.
- Power switch is always on top; reset switch is always at the bottom.
- Both switches are interchangeable so if your power switch stops working, you can move the reset switch to where the power switch is.

Case manufacturers always organise the switches so you do not see the text on the plugs. Taking this into account, you can plug everything without the manual and without knowing wire polarity (for cases without coloured wires).

Addnan

Motherboard and case guys need to get together and standardise the power/reset/led stuff. Then if people use older motherboards they can get some sort of an adapter.

For the most case, they are standardised. I've built hundreds of computers and I don't think I've ever encountered a recent motherboard (like...AM2 old) that has anything besides:

Power LED | Power Switch
HDD LED | Reset Switch

I'm not sure why they haven't used front panel bricks yet. If I was wearing a tin-foil hat, I'd say that its a conspiracy to give computer stores system building jobs since front panel wiring is the most confusing part for most people who don't know the "secret".

Anton668

Umm hey brah. Im a student that needs windows 8 for my PC build. Reddit huh?

huh? he was saying $20 seemed shady. I was saying it may be someone getting copys at student prices.

and if you need one, go to your schools bookstore and go get yourself one.

unless im missing something...

JimPanzer

ok, so I've decided to buy a new PC, but I'm completely clueless about current pc hardware.
My aim is to have dark souls and dark souls 2 running under high settings with a good stable framerate. I've got a budget of ca. 600-700€ and already own a monitor.

is this budget high enough to reach my aim? if so, can anyone list me the hardware needed? or recommend a complete retail build which I can order from germany?

thanks in advance guys!

t-ramp

So I couldnt figure out why my mobo wasnt getting any power.. turns out it was the damn little 2 prong pins for the power button/reset/etc... the +/- were backwards. Lesson learned: pay attention to the smallest details.
I don't think that should matter... You're just completing the circuit when you press the power button, so polarity isn't really a factor. It does matter for LEDs, though.

Sdawg36

Ok, so I need your guys help with my new pc build. So far, I'm running the system barebones and breadbox just to see if I could get it to post before I go through the process of mounting it in my case. These are my specs that are installed right now:

Mobo: Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H
CPU: i5-4670k
Ram: 8 GB (2x4 GB) Team Vulcan DDR3 TLD38G1600HC9DC01
PSU: XFX P1-650X-XXB9 650W

My mobo DIMM slots are numbered from the furthest from the cpu as
|1||3||2||4||cpu

I'm having trouble getting it to post with 2 sticks of ram in dual channel and have tried the following combinations, resetting CMOS, and will try to reseat the cpu and check for bent pins, but I don't have a whole lot of time right now. Also, I wanted to ask if I would need new thermal compound since its been ~24 hours since the CPU has been put in w/ heat sink fan.

No RAM: Error Code 15 (Pre-Memory North Bridge Initialization) w/ continuous beeping for ~15 seconds
1 stick in slot 1: post
1 stick in slot 3: post
1 stick in slot 2: Error Code 15 & beeping
1 stick in slot 4: Error Code 15 & beeping
2 sticks in slot 1&2: Error Code 15 & beeping
2 sticks in slot 3&4: Error Code 15 & beeping
2 sticks in 1&3: post (is there any way to check if the second stick is actually detected in bios?)
The ram also seems to be running at 1333 instead of 1600, but the timing and voltage seem correct.

Do you guys have any suggestion on what to try next? I don't really know what that error means, but it sounds like its before the memory is even looked at, so would my best bet be to reseat the cpu and look for bent pins? Like I said, I won't be able to work on it till later since I have other things going on, but I wanted to know if there was anything else I could try before taking the cpu out and possibly having to pick up some thermal compound. I'll probably call Gigabyte if I can't come up with any progress later, but figured you guys might have seen this before.

silentQ

So I gotta thank all this thread a lot for helping me put together my new Gaming Rig, but I finally got the last piece of the puzzle the Graphics Card and I have two small questions.

1. I got the MSI Geforce GTX 760 Overlocked Gaming Card and it fits in the case just fine and I have a ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe, as well as a Bitfenix Prodigy Case but when I put everything together I noticed the HD Audio Lead are very close to the PCI Express port. I would like to have both hooked in but the only way I could do it was to pretty much crumple the HD Audio cable around the card(note the leads are not being touched just the cable) and this still allows me to put the card into the PCI Express slot all the way boot and work no problem but it does not exactly leave the card flush against the back of the case and forget about screwing the card into the back of the case as it doesn't line up right at all with the holes. Any solution for this?

2. Screwing in the video card on the back of the Prodigy Case has been a chore I can get 2 of the 3 in but the tightest one is just barely lined with the metal backing of the card that sticks out of the case, any solution to this?

I know these are nitpicky as I don't need the audio leads and the card works wonderfully without it plugged in and the card not perfectly flush against back of the case but I would like my rig to be complete without any weird issues, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks ahead of time.

Tumas77

Neo Member
Hello people, I don't post a lot, but I currently have a dilemma. I am in the market for a new VGA. My monitor is 1920x 1080 and I mainly play BF3 and Iracing. I currently have 2 x 5770 in crossfire. I have a choice between 3,

HD6970 2gb

HD7850 2gb
or
GTX650 TI 2gb

Which one should I choose?

Thanks in advance

scoobs

I don't think that should matter... You're just completing the circuit when you press the power button, so polarity isn't really a factor. It does matter for LEDs, though.

The reason it wouldn't boot was that the pins were placed incorrectly, which meant the power button didn't work, which meant I couldn't get it to power on. I'm 99% sure this was the issue, as I didn't change anything else.

Ok guys these are the specs I've decided on for my new setup & I'm going to pick the parts up tomorrow.

My MO is to be able to play most current games as maxed out as I can & be able to play future games comfortably for the next 2-3 years.

Any suggestions/edits I should consider?

>> Intel BX80646I54670 Core i5-4670 3.4GHz 6MB LGA1150 Haswell Boxed CPU
>> Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H Intel Z87 S1150/4xDDR3/6xPCI-E/ SATA3/USB3.0/HDMI/DVI-D/DP/GBLAN/RAID/ATX MB
G.Skill Ripjaws-X 8G Kit(4Gx2) DDR3 2133 F3-17000CL11D- 8GBXL
>> Sandisk Ultra Plus SSD SDSSDHP-256G-Q25 256G SAT A3 SSD
WD 3.5" Black 1TB WD1002FAEX SATA3 7200rpm HDD
>>> Pioneer BDR-208BDK OEM Blu-Ray Writer
> Gigabyte N770OC-4GD 4G GTX 770 PCI-E VGA Card
>> Fractal Design Define R4 Black USB3 Mid Tower Case Wi thout PSU
>> Antec HCG-750M 750W High Current Gamer 'Modular' Ga ming PSU

Thanks!

Any reason you're not going with the 4670K?

Hello people, I don't post a lot, but I currently have a dilemma. I am in the market for a new VGA. My monitor is 1920x 1080 and I mainly play BF3 and Iracing. I currently have 2 x 5770 in crossfire. I have a choice between 3,

HD6970 2gb

HD7850 2gb
or
GTX650 TI 2gb

Which one should I choose?

Thanks in advance
What's your current rig and upgrade budget? The HD7850 and HD6970 are kind of comparable, but the 7XXX series as a whole is more power-efficient than the 6XXX series, so the HD7850 wins.
I suggest you take a look at the GTX 650Ti Boost. It's about as powerful as the 7850, but performs better in Battlefield 3.

nbthedude

Ok, so I need your guys help with my new pc build. So far, I'm running the system barebones and breadbox just to see if I could get it to post before I go through the process of mounting it in my case. These are my specs that are installed right now:

Mobo: Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H
CPU: i5-4670k
Ram: 8 GB (2x4 GB) Team Vulcan DDR3 TLD38G1600HC9DC01
PSU: XFX P1-650X-XXB9 650W

My mobo DIMM slots are numbered from the furthest from the cpu as
|1||3||2||4||cpu

I'm having trouble getting it to post with 2 sticks of ram in dual channel and have tried the following combinations, resetting CMOS, and will try to reseat the cpu and check for bent pins, but I don't have a whole lot of time right now. Also, I wanted to ask if I would need new thermal compound since its been ~24 hours since the CPU has been put in w/ heat sink fan.

No RAM: Error Code 15 (Pre-Memory North Bridge Initialization) w/ continuous beeping for ~15 seconds
1 stick in slot 1: post
1 stick in slot 3: post
1 stick in slot 2: Error Code 15 & beeping
1 stick in slot 4: Error Code 15 & beeping
2 sticks in slot 1&2: Error Code 15 & beeping
2 sticks in slot 3&4: Error Code 15 & beeping
2 sticks in 1&3: post (is there any way to check if the second stick is actually detected in bios?)
The ram also seems to be running at 1333 instead of 1600, but the timing and voltage seem correct.

Do you guys have any suggestion on what to try next? I don't really know what that error means, but it sounds like its before the memory is even looked at, so would my best bet be to reseat the cpu and look for bent pins? Like I said, I won't be able to work on it till later since I have other things going on, but I wanted to know if there was anything else I could try before taking the cpu out and possibly having to pick up some thermal compound. I'll probably call Gigabyte if I can't come up with any progress later, but figured you guys might have seen this before.

Does your motherboard have one of those Memory config buttons (Mem Ok!" etc.)? Check your manual. You may need to hold that down to cycle through to find a suitable memory configuration.

I had two friends recently that had this problem with Asus boards. Frankly, I don't know why Asus is making RAM installation more of pain than it has to be.

Anton668

so legit... Or scam? :( I really need one since my trial is running out, but I don't have $100 for a key.

i was merely posting a possible reason why they were so cheap.
personally, im paranoid and wouldnt. Hell, ive been burned before by a GAFer with a so called legit windows licence...

JimPanzer

ok, so I did some research and came up with a retail pc (I fear I might not be able to put the PC together by myself), which is looking quite good to me.
here are the specs:

CPU: Intel® Core i5-3470, 4× 3200 MHz
Motherboard: MSI B75MA-E33
RAM 8192 MB DDR3-RAM, Micron®/Elixir®
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 650 Ti BOOST, 2048 MB GDDR5
Storage: 1000 GB SATA, Seagate®/Toshiba/WD®
Power Supply: 450 Watt XFX Core Edition PRO Netzteil

will this system run dark souls on high settings 1920x1080 at a stable 50-60 fps?

Tumas77

Neo Member
What's your current rig and upgrade budget? The HD7850 and HD6970 are kind of comparable, but the 7XXX series as a whole is more power-efficient than the 6XXX series, so the HD7850 wins.
I suggest you take a look at the GTX 650Ti Boost. It's about as powerful as the 7850, but performs better in Battlefield 3.

This is my current rig
CPU - i5 2400k
MB - gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3-B3
Ram - 8gb Corsair Vengence
VGA - 2x Sapphire 5770 1gb
Power Supply - Corsair AX860i

My budget is aroung $180.

Thanks

Seanspeed

Banned
ok, so I did some research and came up with a retail pc (I fear I might not be able to put the PC together by myself), which is looking quite good to me.
here are the specs:

CPU: Intel® Core i5-3470, 4× 3200 MHz
Motherboard: MSI B75MA-E33
RAM 8192 MB DDR3-RAM, Micron®/Elixir®
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 650 Ti BOOST, 2048 MB GDDR5
Storage: 1000 GB SATA, Seagate®/Toshiba/WD®
Power Supply: 450 Watt XFX Core Edition PRO Netzteil

will this system run dark souls on high settings 1920x1080 at a stable 50-60 fps?
That's cutting it pretty close for Dark Souls 1, it looks like. 60fps unlock seems to need a newer quad-core CPU and I read one place where somebody with a 650Ti was getting 45-60fps, but wasn't clear on the CPU, either.

With Dark Souls 2, there's no guarantees that'll be good enough. I'd probably want something a bit better to be sure, which you could get if you built yourself. ;)

Sdawg36

Does your motherboard have one of those Memory config buttons (Mem Ok!" etc.)? Check your manual. You may need to hold that down to cycle through to find a suitable memory configuration.

I had two friends recently that had this problem with Asus boards. Frankly, I don't know why Asus is making RAM installation more of pain than it has to be.

As far as I can tell from looking at the board layout and the manual there isn't one of those buttons on my mobo, but thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look in the bios with 1 module of ram and see if there is any option of that sort though.

JimPanzer

That's cutting it pretty close for Dark Souls 1, it looks like. 60fps unlock seems to need a newer quad-core CPU and I read one place where somebody with a 650Ti was getting 45-60fps, but wasn't clear on the CPU, either.

With Dark Souls 2, there's no guarantees that'll be good enough. I'd probably want something a bit better to be sure, which you could get if you built yourself. ;)

how does it look if I change the CPU to a i5-4670k and the GPU to a gtx 660?

kennah

You would also need to change to a Z87 motherboard and add an aftermarket cooler (Hyper 212 for 20-30$)

The 660 is a very very small improvement over the 650Ti BOOST. If you can, spend $250 on a 760, it's the best price to performance there is right now (until AMD releases info later today).

kharma45

You would also need to change to a Z87 motherboard and add an aftermarket cooler (Hyper 212 for 20-30$)

The 660 is a very very small improvement over the 650Ti BOOST. If you can, spend $250 on a 760, it's the best price to performance there is right now (until AMD releases info later today).

I dunno, 7950 at ~$200 to me is better value in my eyes. Agreed on the 660, it's not a big improvement over the 650 TiB.

JimPanzer

I'm fine if the GPU and CPU can run dark souls well. might upgrade the GPU in march when DS2 is released!

Reckoner

I'm trying to checkout using Paypal on overclockers.co.uk and it's always telling me that my address isn't verified. I already did the verification and my status says it's all good. has it happened to anyone else?

Seanspeed

Banned
The i5-3470 would probably be ok for your needs, although if you built yourself, an i5-3570 can be gotten for about the same price.

The GPU, well, a GTX660 would almost definitely get you your 1080p/60fps with Dark Souls 1. Would still leave a question mark over DS2, but with it being a proper PC release, hopefully with graphic settings available, you'd probably be able to work your way to 60fps with adjustments if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom