• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NiukNiuk

Neo Member
Hi everyone !
I'm a long time lurker who finally posts in this great thread :)

I'm thinking of building a new computer for some time now, as the one I currently have begins to show its age.

I will use it for gaming and for 3d modeling/rendering and video editing/encoding.

Your Current Specs: intel core 2quad q9450 (not OC) / 8Gb ddr3 @ 1066mhz / MSI x48c platinum / AMD radeon HD 69502Gb / Corsair TX750 v2/ Coolermaster CM 690 II / 2x 2 Tb drives.
Budget: about 1500€
Main Use: Gaming , Video Editing/encoding (after effects, premiere pro), 3D/Model work (3DSMax with mental ray or vray, Z-Brush), and General Usage.
Monitor Resolution: I currently have a 24" IIyama B2403WS (1920x1200) but I may be interested in the near future by adding another monitor for working, or switch to higher rez (27", 2560x1440)
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: The ones listed earlier, + new games to come. SuperSampling and physx are not that important in my eyes, but Cuda might be...I think some 3D rendering programs are cuda compatible
Looking to reuse any parts?: The optical drive :) and maybe the power supply...it's not a modular one though
When will you build?: Before the end of the year I think.
Will you be overclocking?: I don't know, if the gain is substancial when rendering then maybe.

Thanks !

TheExodu5

Banned
Was searching around youtube and i found this here :

naamloos1vru7n.png

naamloos05ujp.png

Iwish i had enough cash and space for this.

Holy shit. That is beautiful.

kharma45

Hi everyone !

I'm thinking of building a new computer for some time now, as the one I currently have begins to show its age.

I will use it for gaming and for 3d modeling/rendering and video editing/encoding.

Your Current Specs: intel core 2quad q9450 (not OC) / 8Gb ddr3 @ 1066mhz / MSI x48c platinum / AMD radeon HD 69502Gb / Corsair TX750 v2/ Coolermaster CM 690 II / 2x 2 Tb drives.
Main Use: Gaming , Video Editing/encoding (after effects, premiere pro), 3D/Model work (3DSMax with mental ray or vray, Z-Brush), and General Usage.
Monitor Resolution: I currently have a 24" IIyama B2403WS (1920x1200) but I may be interested in the near future by adding another monitor for working, or switch to higher rez (27", 2560x1440)
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: The ones listed earlier, + new games to come. SuperSampling and physx are not that important in my eyes, but Cuda might be...I think some 3D rendering programs are cuda compatible
Looking to reuse any parts?: The optical drive :) and maybe the power supply...it's not a modular one though
Will you be overclocking?: I don't know, if the gain is substancial when rendering then maybe.

Thanks !

You could re-use that case too as well as the PSU and optical drive. RAM too, and your HDDs.

All you really need is a mobo, CPU and GPU. You could go for a 4770K or a 4820K, a good mobo and enough money left for whatever GPU you want up to a 780.

Edit - Actually get some more RAM for your editing stuff, bump it up to 16GB with another 2x 8GB sticks. That'd also give you quad channel too for the 4820K.

LordAlu

Hi everyone !

Thanks !
There are loads of other things you could reuse from your original build - the power supply, case and drives would all be good too. Or are you using those for something else?

Edit: Beaten :p

NiukNiuk

Neo Member
Thank you for your replies

Well I was thinking about building a complete new PC and keep most of the old one (including the drives, which are nearly full) as a "backup pc" that my family/friends will use.

Tomodachi

Hey PC-GAF, I have one upgrade question for you.

I have an MSI Twin Frozr 560 Ti 1GB and I was wondering, what would be the minimun budget for a worthy vga upgrade? I woudln't want to spend like 150€ just for marginal or no improvements, that's what I mean.

I've got a 3570K btw.

It would also be pretty cool to have a vga with somewhat silent fans. Right now it's like an helicopter in my case when I start gaming, even though the CPU fan is extremely silent.

LordAlu

Thank you for your replies

Well I was thinking about building a complete new PC and keep most of the old one (including the drives, which are nearly full) as a "backup pc" that my family/friends will use.
You could go for something like the below then:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (€291.41) *
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (€28.89) *
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (€122.75 @ Amazon France)
Memory: Kingston XMP 10th Anniversary Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (€134.90 @ Amazon France)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (€91.48 @ Amazon France)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€56.61 @ Amazon France)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (€612.45 @ Amazon France)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (€52.49 @ Amazon France)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) (€99.18) *
Total: €1490.16
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-06 18:19 CEST+0200)

* Manually entered prices based on Amazon.fr due to PCPartPicker not showing them.

This would re-use your power supply (which is very good power supply so I would re-use it) - if you didn't it would be another €80 for something like a Seasonic M12II 620.

saelz8

Sold my GPU, so I'm GPULess right now.

280X should be out Tuesday, right? Gonna wait and see. I'm hoping Nvidia lowers their prices the same day, or the day after so I have more to choose from. I feel like hopping back onto Nvidia after going AMD the last 2 cards, but the 770 is still too pricey considering you can get a 7970 for basically $100 dollars less.

Hurry up, Tuesday!

Does no retail store offer the Nvidia Vision 2 kit? As in, only amazon or Nvidia's site? Still having a damn hard time deciding whether I want to grab a 3D monitor now or just get a really nice IPS one and wait to get a 4K 3D TV way down the line.

Could get the Asus 3D model linked and one of the Ultrawide LG models down the line. They seem quite neat.

gblues

Banned
So, I managed to salvage my RAM by down clocking it to 1333mhz instead of 1600. That makes me wonder if I might get the full 1600 MHz if I tweaked the DRAM voltage, but I'm not sure which direction or how much to tweak it.

Clott

In about a month I will be building a new rig, I am thinking of spending somewhere between 5-6 grand, one of the biggest reasons to upgrade will be to edit a film, we will be working with RED code so I need some beefy hardware.

Originally we were going to edit in an editing suite in Norway, but due to one of the team members visa issues we will do it here in NY. Anyway I was wondering if there was any gear that is right around the corner that I should keep my eye on. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jzero

I didn't really want to use water cooling but i guess i have no choice since i can't find a good CPU fan for my Mini-ITX build.

Hey guys. Looking to reduce the cost of this build by a couple hundred dollars, while keeping quality parts.. I don't think I want any less than a gtx 660, but maybe I don't need the ti..

Does anyone know where I can get Windows 7 for cheaper? I feel like I should be able to get it for 30 dollars or less, somehow. I'm not a student anymore though, and I understand they're dishing out Windows 8s in universities now.. Hm.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Cooling MX-2 4g Thermal Paste ($4.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($114.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($76.50 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($274.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DGX 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card ($28.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.88 @ TigerDirect)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($52.00 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($85.87 @ Outlet PC)
Keyboard: Logitech K200 Wired Standard Keyboard ($23.08 @ NCIX US)
Mouse: Cooler Master SGM-2001-BLON1 Wired Optical Mouse ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1156.18
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-06 18:20 EDT-0400)

kharma45

Hey guys. Looking to reduce the cost of this build by a couple hundred dollars, while keeping quality parts.. I don't think I want any less than a gtx 660, but maybe I don't need the ti..

Does anyone know where I can get Windows 7 for cheaper? I feel like I should be able to get it for 30 dollars or less, somehow. I'm not a student anymore though, and I understand they're dishing out Windows 8s in universities now.. Hm.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Cooling MX-2 4g Thermal Paste ($4.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($76.50 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($274.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DGX 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card ($28.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.88 @ TigerDirect)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($52.00 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($85.87 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1156.18
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-06 18:20 EDT-0400)

God damn that 660 Ti price, you can save $80 straight off with a 7950. Drop the sound card, drop the thermal paste, do you need an optical drive really?

If you can get Windows 8 cheap do it, it's a great OS.

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($65.94 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($209.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $979.78
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-06 18:35 EDT-0400)

Azulsky

In about a month I will be building a new rig, I am thinking of spending somewhere between 5-6 grand, one of the biggest reasons to upgrade will be to edit a film, we will be working with RED code so I need some beefy hardware.

Originally we were going to edit in an editing suite in Norway, but due to one of the team members visa issues we will do it here in NY. Anyway I was wondering if there was any gear that is right around the corner that I should keep my eye on. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

4k workflow?

DSN2K

is Haswell worth it ? I thinking going 1155 with an i7...it will be cheaper and I think it will still last me 2-3 years easy with a Graphics card update say in a 1 or 2 years

kharma45

You have the triple slot asus dc it's the biggest 7950. Was going to get it till I noticed that it was huge. Well at least it overclocks well.

Supposed to be fairly quiet too from what I remember. The size isn't really an issue for most people I would imagine, bar it sagging a bit.

is Haswell worth it ? I thinking going 1155 with an i7...it will be cheaper and I think it will still last me 2-3 years easy with a Graphics card update say in a 1 or 2 years

Worth it and cheaper compared to what?

DSN2K

Supposed to be fairly quiet too from what I remember. The size isn't really an issue for most people I would imagine, bar it sagging a bit.

yep very impressed, played a few rounds of BF3 & 4 and it didnt sound any louder then the 6850 I had before.

slapnuts

yep very impressed, played a few rounds of BF3 & 4 and it didnt sound any louder then the 6850 I had before.

It's a nice card bro...used a few of them in a couple of custom builds i did for friends. I almost bought one myself but opted for the 7970 VaporX a while back....your card is probably the best bang for the buck card imho

DSN2K

if you google wall mounted PC's there are quite a few different ones, you can certainly do it on a lower budget, I've thought about doing it myself before...

another example

UEqXs.jpg

Parsnip

Alright, I settled for a ~40% OC for my i5-750, it held steady for overnight stress testing and stuff. All seems well, thanks GAF for helping out. :)

Anyone ever bought a refurbished monitor?

This seems like a good deal Thinking about grabbing one but I'm worried given I don't use ebay all that much. Seller has a lot of positive feedback it seems. Suppose it likely doesn't come with the 3D Vision 2 glasses like the new models does due to being refurbished?

Edit: The product description does list the 3D kit so hopefully.

zbarron

I just bought a 4770K yesterday. If you have a Microcenter near you they have good bundle deals and you deal locally so returns are less of a pain. I got it to 4.5Ghz and might be able to hit 4.6 after my thermal paste fully cures or possibly a better fan. I can tell you it is incredibly fast but depending on what you are upgrading from there may not be much usage to take noticeable advantage of it yet. I use Dolphin and SVP which both run flawlessly now, but that is about it besides playing the fun game of overclocking a new architecture. I went from 10,000 to 20,000 in the Dragon Quest X benchmark though so that is pretty impressive.

Haswell only cost a bit more. I'll go with the Haswell since you're building a new rig. You're paying like 230-350 dollars for the CPU alone. 10-20 more dollars can't hurt to get a bit more performance.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Anyone ever bought a refurbished monitor?

This seems like a good deal Thinking about grabbing one but I'm worried given I don't use ebay all that much. Seller has a lot of positive feedback it seems. Suppose it likely doesn't come with the 3D Vision 2 glasses like the new models does due to being refurbished?

Edit: The product description does list the 3D kit so hopefully.

Yep as long as the quality is there and the it's the model you want go ahead. Got a two of mine gdm fw900s for cheap cause I didn't buy new.

kennah

Thing's will be trans-coded, but I think the door has to be open in order to have the possibility to work with the raw footage.
What about the New Mac Pro?

Otherwise you can do a really beefy Socket 2011 for that cash. What specific software so we can look up the best gpu

Ok, I think I've finalized my upgrades to my existing Phenom II X3 720 build:

Plus a couple Newegg coupons takes all of that plus free shipping and no tax to a grand total of $627.92.

I'll replace my current AM3 mobo, replace my X3 720, stick the Noctua fans on my Corsair H60 to push/pull, and replace my 550 watt Corsair PSU with the modular 750 watt one for some possible SLI room down the road. Figured if I'm getting a new mobo I might as well get new RAM, although I think I could probably carry over my 4 sticks of 2 GB RAM if I wanted to save some money.

Good plan?

I'm not in any huge hurry other than having the urge to upgrade but I'm wondering whether I should hold off a bit to see if memory prices drop any. They seem awfully high all of a sudden when they were dirt cheap for the longest time.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Haswell only cost a bit more. I'll go with the Haswell since you're building a new rig. You're paying like 230-350 dollars for the CPU alone. 10-20 more dollars can't hurt to get a bit more performance.

Yeah, and you get a bit better motherboard features on average. Wonder how long until AVX2 instruction sets are used widely...when it is those apps will be significantly faster on Haswell versus Ivy.

I'm looking forward to the R290X reviews. If it's $700 or less for something that at stock matches Titan, has 6 GB GDDR5, and OCs well, I'm in. Otherwise I may also get an Xbone in addition to PS4 and wait for 20nm. I'm not dropping that much cash to get a GPU that will choke on console ports that expect copious VRAM.

Dawg

So yeah, I always figured my Asus VN247H had a bad case of ghosting. I just couldn't find any proof. I did find some info about the VS247H, I'm going to assume it's the same monitor with a slight difference.

I noticed this monitor is being recommended in the OP, but if it's anything similar to the VN247H, I wouldn't recommend it for gaming. Really bad case of ghosting.

I found some proof too. Digitalversus states it has 26ms ghosting. Afaik, they're a trustworthy site and their ghosting tests are legit (1000fps camera). I know not everyone cares about ghosting, but isn't there a better monitor to recommend? 26ms ghosting is pretty high for games.

www.digitalversus.com/lcd-monitor/asus-vs247h-p11591/test.html#full-review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom