• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordAlu

I'm building my first build next week. I already picked some parts out and I have some questions.
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/xemnyx/saved/2wcU

Is the 770 a worthwhile upgrade compared to the 7950 or 7970? or would I be better off with the latter? How about the case? Sufficient air flow for this build? Thanks to whoever takes the time to answer these questions. Much appreciated.
Looks like an excellent build to me. The difference between the 7970 and 770 is relatively small - personally I would choose the 7970 as they are generally cheaper, come with free games and will usually overclock well too. The only other thing I would suggest is maybe going for RAM without the heatsink sticking out like the ones you've chosen in case they block the fan on the cooler.

kharma45

Has it been confirmed that Broadwell will be released next year or is it a Haswell refresh? If it is a refresh should I upgrade my i5 760 to a 4760k, I really don't want to overcloack as my PC gets loud enough as it is?

With a good cooler noise isn't am issue.

jbpaz

Looks like an excellent build to me. The difference between the 7970 and 770 is relatively small - personally I would choose the 7970 as they are generally cheaper, come with free games and will usually overclock well too. The only other thing I would suggest is maybe going for RAM without the heatsink sticking out like the ones you've chosen in case they block the fan on the cooler.

What kind of RAM would you recommend?

EDIT: Also not sure which 7970 brand is the best /: Gigabyte, ASUS, Sapphire, etc.

PatzCU

That's an excellent upgrade, and at 1650x1050 a 570 is still a good card. Since you're getting a K processor and an aftermarket cooler you might as well overclock too - it's literally changing a few values and you get free performance!

Thanks LordAlu! I really appreciate you taking the time to check it out. Ordering parts now!

Just wondering, what is the best way to set up the fans on my case?

For the most part it doesn't seem to matter too much as long as you've got them. Make sure you split them between intake and exhaust. I've got four and I did side-and-front-in, top-and-back-out since the link in the OP seemed to suggest there was a tiny incremental benefit to it but I don't think you can really screw it up that badly.

Matchew

Do you guys/girls know of a good guide to overclocking a AMD Phenom II X6 1035T? First time OC and have no idea where to start.

Erebus

Nvidia driver problem, I had similar problems on my gtx460 couple of months ago, try 314.xx whql drivers those were the last ones that worked properly on my card. (320.xx were the last drivers I tested and then moved to gtx760, so maybe try 327.23whql too)

I'm curious, do you use a Logitech mouse?

I need a laptop (in Canada) that will do all of this plus a better GPU preferably 600 series, for under $800.

halp?

Intel I7 processor with chipset that must support Intel Virtualization Technology
8 GB of ram (16 GB preferred)
500 GB hard drive
CDRW/DVDRW combo drive
10/100 Auto Sensing Network Card
10/100 A/G/N Standard card (one of these standards will suffice)
One USB 3.0 port (two preferred)

kharma45

I need a laptop (in Canada) that will do all of this plus a better GPU preferably 600 series, for under $800.

halp?

Intel I7 processor with chipset that must support Intel Virtualization Technology
500 GB hard drive
CDRW/DVDRW combo drive

Laptop thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=504567

kennah

halp?

500 GB hard drive
CDRW/DVDRW combo drive
Gooood luck. Keep an eye on mem ex's daily deals, sometimes a good laptop shows up for cheap there.

Tablo

That doesn't come with the Nvidia Vision glasses though so I'd have to grab those separately which is like 100 dollars. Not sure whether I should just grab the 24 inch model because it's so much cheaper. Are there big differences aside from the size?

Not that I know of.

LCGeek

formerly sane
From what I've heard Sapphire seems to be extremely reliable on the AMD side.

Yep one the best brands to overlock with.

Check overclock.net the forums have excellent oc guides based on max performance or quality. For the 7950 an msi twin forzr or sapphire vapor x is really good same for 7970 series.

DigiMish

I think I made a terribly amateur mistake.

I was fixing a friend's PC - he needed a new motherboard, so I told him to get this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130693

It turns out his old motherboard was this one: http://www.msi.com/product/mb/X58-Pro-E.html#/?div=Basic

His CPU is bigger and doesn't fit into the new motherboard. This is what it says on his CPU:

INTEL i7-950
INTEL CORE i7
SLBEN COSTA RICA
3.06 GHZ/8M/4.80/08
3047A164

So I'm SOL, right - I can either tell him to get a new motherboard that fits the bigger CPU or get a new CPU, right?

kennah

LOL, yep, you told him to buy a motherboard four generations and two sockets newer than the one he has.

However you'd have a real hard time finding a motherboard to fit that old cpu anyway. Which is too bad, it's still pretty competitive.

Best bet - sell the old CPU and upgrade anyway. Or return the motherboard and look for a used one that would work with his.

DigiMish

Gotcha - silly mistake - I didn't check the motherboard model number and he told me he got the PC 3 years ago, which I figured is somewhat recent.

What's the cheapest CPU that will fit into LGA 1150?

kennah

I sorted cheapest on newegg, and this came up: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116950

It's probably shit.

Ok then, what LGA 1150 CPU is the same or just a bit better than his current one:

INTEL i7-950
INTEL CORE i7
SLBEN COSTA RICA
3.06 GHZ/8M/4.80/08
3047A164

Depends on use. If it's just games then any i5 would be roughly the same or faster. But if he does video work then would need an i7. Sadly, the 'comparable' cpu is also the most expensive. the 4770K.

t-ramp

I sorted cheapest on newegg, and this came up: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116950

It's probably shit.

Ok then, what LGA 1150 CPU is the same or just a bit better than his current one:

INTEL i7-950
INTEL CORE i7
SLBEN COSTA RICA
3.06 GHZ/8M/4.80/08
3047A164
4670K, maybe? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116899

The motherboard he got will let you overclock, but you'll need a K-series processor like that one to take advantage of it.

Here's AnandTech's benchmark comparison of the i7-950 and the i5-4670K: http://anandtech.com/bench/product/100?vs=837

Eusis

I do (I also had that issue before going back to the 314.22's on my gtx 560)

Wow, ram prices have really jumped since fall last year...
Turn off hardware acceleration in browsers, mine's working fine with the beta drivers (560 Ti admittedly, but same damn problems) and I turned that stuff off. I did also use DriverSweeper to ensure there was no AMD/ATi/nVidia baggage left behind too though.

And ignore the Logitech crap, it's purely down on the video card and browsers, too widespread of an issue and I'm using a Logitech mouse right now.

Milamber

H100 is overkill, if you are only looking at 4.0-4.3Ghz get a 212+. It'll do the same job due to CPU thermals and can be quieter if you adjust the fan profiles and fans.

So I got the 212 evo, the plus wasn't available, and it is blocking one ram slot.

rafbanaan

Took the middle one away and I've put it back together with the middle bay also removed. It started up like a charm *o*

I hope it was the middle one that caused the problems so I wont experience this again in the near future :p

And it's back :/ This morning my computer was autobooting again, but failed.

I turned it on and it worked, but after a hour he just turned itself off while I was playing a game and rebooted -> failed. I press the button to startup again and he's back on.

It's not like the previous time it seems, since it always failed at the boot than. Now it just fails when he's auto trying (for some reason), but when I press my power button he starts up with no problem.

Mogwai

I've been trying to optimize my build as of lately. I've got a SSD (840 Pro 256GB) and it helped a lot compared to using a regular HDD.

My question to the experts: I've been playing Arkham City and have experimented with various settings. Under DX11 I'm getting a lot of small freezes or "load lag" every time I move around the city. Is the game really that badly optimized so that my rig can't handle this game well at 1920x1080? (DX11, High textures, effects enable except ambient occulsion). Seems like disabling DX11 helps somewhat, but damnit, shouldn't my setup eat this game?

I thought the SSD would eliminate the small stutters (drops in fps) that occur from loading, but seems like it hasn't completely. The drive is on SATA 3.0, and testing shows 530mb/s seq. reads.

Specs:
ASRock Pro3 mobo
3570k (non-OC)
Sapphire 7970 (non-OC, latest beta drivers)
840 Pro 256GB (SATA3.0)
Windows 8

Addnan

I've been trying to optimize my build as of lately. I've got a SSD (840 Pro 256GB) and it helped a lot compared to using a regular HDD.

My question to the experts: I've been playing Arkham City and have experimented with various settings. Under DX11 I'm getting a lot of small freezes or "load lag" every time I move around the city. Is the game really that badly optimized so that my rig can't handle this game well at 1920x1080? (DX11, High textures, effects enable except ambient occulsion). Seems like disabling DX11 helps somewhat, but damnit, shouldn't my setup eat this game?

I thought the SSD would eliminate the small stutters (drops in fps) that occur from loading, but seems like it hasn't completely. The drive is on SATA 3.0, and testing shows 530mb/s seq. reads.

Specs:
ASRock Pro3 mobo
3570k (non-OC)
Sapphire 7970 (non-OC, latest beta drivers)
840 Pro 256GB (SATA3.0)
Windows 8

Turn off DX11, doesn't work properly for anyone. Also lower Pshyx, not very well optimised in that game.

nubbe

Decided to build a simple Steam Machine to hookup to my Plasma

A10-6800K
8GB DDR3 2133MHz
OS 120 SSD EVO
RAID1 120 SSD EVO x2

Overclocked the APU GPU to 1085MHz
Most games run at 720p with 60FPS and 2xAA with max settings
and the striped SSD makes game load super fast

Quite happy with this simple system and games look and run much better than PS360

zbarron

I got the 4770K and have it overclocked to 4.5Ghz at 1.255Vcore and 1.185. Is there any tips to get it to go higher? It's at about 85C on my Hyper 212 Evo and to get to 4.6 needs a big upswing to the voltage.

kennah

I got the 4770K and have it overclocked to 4.5Ghz at 1.255Vcore and 1.185. Is there any tips to get it to go higher? It's at about 85C on my Hyper 212 Evo and to get to 4.6 needs a big upswing to the voltage.

4.5 is amazing for a 4770K. To go higher you'd need to delid the processor/go water cooled.

t-ramp

So regarding my situation of my friend getting a new LGA 1150 processor to match his old INTEL i7-950. What about this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116896

Also, where would be a good place to sell the INTEL i7-950 - eBay? Do locally owned computer part stores usually buy parts?
You couldn't overclock it, but it's still a great CPU.

eBay's probably a good option. I don't know what demand is like for earlier i-series processors, but it looks like the 950 is going used for ~$120 and up. I doubt a computer store would buy older parts like this, or at least not at an attractive price, but who knows.

Don

Hey everyone, first time posting in this thread. I'm looking to build a new PC sometime soon and was hoping that someone can have a look over what I've picked out so far and see if I'm on the right track, or if I should make any big changes.

Basic Desktop Questions:
Budget: I'm from the UK and have £1000 to spend
Main Use: Gaming, working with Visual Studio 2012, and general use.
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080. I will be reusing my current LG 23" monitor.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: 60FPS for gaming would be preferred.
Looking to reuse any parts?: In addition to reusing my monitor, I was planning to reuse my old hard drives for storage. They are a 3TB Seagate ST3000M001-9YN166, and a 500GB Western Digital WDC WD5001AALS. I should also have a few optical drives around the house that I can reuse as well. Let me know if it would be worth replacing any of these.
When will you build?: I'm looking to build as soon as possible. Hopefully before the end of the month.
Will you be overclocking?: Not planning on it.

This is what I was looking at so far.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£167.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£23.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£143.00 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Grey 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£59.27 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£168.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card (£200.11 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case (£47.98 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply (£57.58 @ Dabs)
Total: £868.90
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-06 15:16 BST+0100)

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

I would switch the MSI 760 GTX for a Gigabyte 760 GTX if you're going for a 760 GTX. It's has a higher overclock, just as quiet, and runs just as cool.

I wish I went Gigabyte.

kharma45

Hey everyone, first time posting in this thread. I'm looking to build a new PC sometime soon and was hoping that someone can have a look over what I've picked out so far and see if I'm on the right track, or if I should make any big changes.

Basic Desktop Questions:
Budget: I'm from the UK and have £1000 to spend
Main Use: Gaming, working with Visual Studio 2012, and general use.
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080. I will be reusing my current LG 23" monitor.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: 60FPS for gaming would be preferred.
Looking to reuse any parts?: In addition to reusing my monitor, I was planning to reuse my old hard drives for storage. They are a 3TB Seagate ST3000M001-9YN166, and a 500GB Western Digital WDC WD5001AALS. I should also have a few optical drives around the house that I can reuse as well. Let me know if it would be worth replacing any of these.
When will you build?: I'm looking to build as soon as possible. Hopefully before the end of the month.
Will you be overclocking?: Not planning on it.

This is what I was looking at so far.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£23.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£143.00 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Grey 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£59.27 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£168.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card (£200.11 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case (£47.98 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply (£57.58 @ Dabs)
Total: £868.90
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-06 15:16 BST+0100)

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

That RAM is 1.65v, PSU is a bit dung for your budget, SSD over-specced, 7970 or 670 I'd take at that price over the 760, mobo a bit overkill, and case a bit cheap.

Overclocking is easy btw so you will be wanting to do that. Have a look at this build instead

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£105.97 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£52.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£125.90 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (£77.70 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£71.94 @ Scan.co.uk)
Video card: Asus DirectCU II TOP Radeon HD 7970 AMD Graphics Card - 3GB (£221.75)
Total: £848.22
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-06 16:01 BST+0100)

You've enough room in that budget still to play around with a bigger SSD if you wanted, or something like an H80 for the cooler. Plenty of wiggle room.

Stubo

Is there any reason to go for Ivy when it costs ~£5 more to get the new version of that motherboard and a 4670k?

Also, consider a Fractal R4 case, it deserves all of the praise it gets.

kharma45

Just it's a more known quantity with regards to mobo reliability but yeah the price difference is only really a tenner or so.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£170.70 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£113.77 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£52.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£125.90 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (£77.70 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£71.94 @ Scan.co.uk)
Other: Asus DirectCU II TOP Radeon HD 7970 AMD Graphics Card - 3GB (£221.75)
Total: £858.73
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-06 16:10 BST+0100)

Thorgal

Was searching around youtube and i found this here :

naamloos1vru7n.png

naamloos05ujp.png

Iwish i had enough cash and space for this.

Decided to build a simple Steam Machine to hookup to my Plasma

A10-6800K
8GB DDR3 2133MHz
OS 120 SSD EVO
RAID1 120 SSD EVO x2

Overclocked the APU GPU to 1085MHz
Most games run at 720p with 60FPS and 2xAA with max settings
and the striped SSD makes game load super fast

Quite happy with this simple system and games look and run much better than PS360

I've been looking into a similar build, I am curious about Kaveri when is that supposed to get released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom