• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tablo

I believed the consensus is that there's no real performance increase in going from Ivy to Haswell, especially considering Ivy's overclocking potential (which doesn't face heat problems like Haswell).

If emulation is one of the reasons for a new build though, better to go Haswell.

Oh yeah totally forgot the IPC increases, architectural improvements, AVX2/FMA3 instructions, and superior chipset don't count.

Though if you don't want to future proof then be my guest!

Overclocking is far from the be all end all, are you forgetting the downsides of it?

Oh yeah totally forgot the IPC increases, architectural improvements, AVX2/FMA3 instructions, and superior chipset don't count.

Overclocking is far from the be all end all, are you forgetting the downsides of it?

Future proofing isn't a thing.

Future proofing?

Come on.

I'm not dismissing Haswell entirely, mind you. I was just echoing what others have explained here many times.

Considering the price difference is negligible, Haswell is still an excellent choice.

I've got a Athlon II x4 640 3.00GHz CPU with 8 gigs RAM. My GPU is a NVidia GTX 670. I am thinking of upgrading my CPU to the best CPU which my motherboard can take, which you can see here.

According to the website, I can't take the 8350, but can take the 8300. For those in the know, can the motherboard take the 8350 CPU, or should I stick with the 8300? Also, is it worth sticking with the Athlon II x4 640 for the forseeable future, or should I be looking to upgrade asap?

EDIT: apparently the 8350 is compatible according to this website. Can anyone confirm?

yatesl

i7-4770K or i5-4670K for Arma 3 and Battlefield 4? Is the i7 worth the extra money?

Coming from the recent Watchdogs topic, I'd say get the i7. The 4670 is great - it's what I have - but more and more next gen games are gonna be taking advantage of Hyperthreading.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
i7-4770K or i5-4670K for Arma 3 and Battlefield 4? Is the i7 worth the extra money?

Get the i7. Looks like these next gen games need the cores. If your interest is primarily Battlefield 4, I'd say it's not 100% necessary. I have a 3570k/770 combo and I'm getting 60fps on Ultra with 2xMSAA. The final game will hopefully be big improvement over the beta (as we saw with the BF3 beta) and I expect the 3570k will deliver a steady and smooth 60fps.

Pretty pissed off. I had the Artic cooler freezer 7 rev 2 on my previous build, it was a beast and went right over my ram. I came here to look for a decent cooler which wouldn't do that so got the CM 212 Evo, and for fuck sake, the entire first ram slot is covered, there's no way I'm getting my vengence ram in there.

Tablo

Future proofing?

Come on.

I'm not dismissing Haswell entirely, mind you. I was just echoing what others have explained here many times.

Considering the price difference is negligible, Haswell is still an excellent choice.

It goes without saying it is impossible to empirically future proof, but clearly if games now have AVX2 optimizations like Grid 2, and Rome 2 Total War. It's obvious to see why a gamer would want to go with Ivy Bridge when the price difference is negligible if non existent.

Going with an inferior CPU/chipset combo makes no sense, it's misinformation at best.

NoRéN

Pretty pissed off. I had the Artic cooler freezer 7 rev 2 on my previous build, it was a beast and went right over my ram. I came here to look for a decent cooler which wouldn't do that so got the CM 212 Evo, and for fuck sake, the entire first ram slot is covered, there's no way I'm getting my vengence ram in there.

I thought the build page stated to get low profile ram?

Yeah no big deal, just peed me off. I don't know if haswell chips run a lot hotter than my previous AMD Phenom 720 chip or the artic cooler did a better job but it seems around 10 degrees warmer idle with the CM 212!! And it cost a tenner more, all in all I'm a bit miffed!

Tablo

Yeah no big deal, just peed me off. I don't know if haswell chips run a lot hotter than my previous AMD Phenom 720 chip or the artic cooler did a better job but it seems around 10 degrees warmer idle with the CM 212!! And it cost a tenner more, all in all I'm a bit miffed!

Yeah, I mean that does suck, more heat isn't something any of us want xP

But you could always invest in a better/quieter cooler, the Noctua UH14S comes to mind :)

Yeah, I mean that does suck, more heat isn't something any of us want xP

But you could always invest in a better/quieter cooler, the Noctua UH14S comes to mind :)

I'll see how it goes when my 7950 goes in tomorrow and I can give it a good work out. No point messing about with it too much because as soon as the GFX card goes in it'll be different again. As long as it doesn't get dangerously high, I'm happy.

What is a recommended temp for full work load with these 4670k chips?

Tablo

I'll see how it goes when my 7950 goes in tomorrow and I can give it a good work out. No point messing about with it too much because as soon as the GFX card goes in it'll be different again. As long as it doesn't get dangerously high, I'm happy.

What is a recommended temp for full work load with these 4670k chips?

Well technically they can run up to 90-100 "safely", but I would think under load 70 and under would be fine.

Tablo

So... GTX770 or 280X :eek:

If you don't need the proprietary Nvidia stuff, the 280X is a way better value. It's 100 bucks less than a 770, has 1 GB more VRAM, and has Mantle which presumably will widen the gap in titles using the frostbite engine (for now).

Dawg

280x because it's a lot cheaper, performance wise they are really similar because the 280x is just a 7970Ghz

If you don't need the proprietary Nvidia stuff, the 280X is a way better value. It's 100 bucks less than a 770, has 1 GB more VRAM, and has Mantle which presumably will widen the gap in titles using the frostbite engine (for now).

I just need a GPU till Nvidia is here with their 8xx line. Sold my GTX 670 because it was a very loud card (single fan)

Tablo

I just need a GPU till Nvidia is here with their 8xx line. Sold my GTX 670 because it was a very loud card (single fan)

Well Maxwell on 28nm comes out first half of 2014, while 20nm probably drops by the end of the year but will have the greatest performance increase. Maybe grab a quieter 760? About the same performance as your 670. I'm curious to see what having ARM v8 cores directly on the GPU will do by the end of the year, hopefully consumer versions get at least 4 cores.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121775

jbpaz

What are some cheaper alternatives for this build? I want the same performance and I want to keep the 4770k and the 7970 is just there as a placeholder for the R9 280x.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($35.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($87.32 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.95 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($299.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.48 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1211.67
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-08 16:55 EDT-0400)

Addnan

Dammit. I need get some low profile RAM now :/ What's some good inexpensive RAM? I might stick with 8gb or upgrade to 16gb

If you are going to get the cooler anyway, get it and see if it clears the RAM. High RAM and clear some coolers on some motherboards and if you don't use the slot closest the CPU it should be fine.

Dammit. I need get some low profile RAM now :/ What's some good inexpensive RAM? I might stick with 8gb or upgrade to 16gb

I hasten to add that it's only slot 1 which is covered and am running my high profile ram in dual channel mode via slots 2 and 4. Didn't mean to cause any unnecessary anxiety, I was just under the impression I'd get some ram in slot 1 this time, haha.

iavi

my goodness. I can't wait till the firesales start on the 7000 series. gonna grab me another 7950 for that extra bit of juice.

kennah

I don't know why you all have so much trouble with ram and heatsinks...

samsungfeatured1.jpg

*smug*

sKPfzVK.jpg

New PC I am gonna build early next year! ^_^

The one point that everyone is missing - you're going to have a hell of a time finding those parts next year unless you go used. May as well go Haswell at that point.

24" 1080P full HD, hdmi, vga, dvi, 16:9

mint no dead pixels!

This monitor is perfect for fighting games due to having very low to zero input lag. Read all the reviews out there and they will all say the same.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1363906

Its barely used and its in mint condition. I'm looking to sell it for $200 OBO

Would prefer local pick up in the Bay Area Norcal.
Flag Quote · Off Topic Insightful Di

Another BST thread find.

Hana-Bi

So, how good is the 780M in desktop GPU terms? What performance can I expect?

Getting my mid 2010 iMac replaced with the new late 2013 iMac and upgraded the GPU and the HDD to the 512 GB SSD.

maneil99

I have about a CM of space or less between the D14 fan clips and my GPU, really a pain to take out the GPU to insulate the fan lips, its been fine for the last 2 months, no reason to change it right?I have given my computer a good shake and nothing :p

In the past it's made sense to do it, but the costs now make it so it's not.
Both nVidia and AMD will probably be on 28nm until they decide to change last I heard.

See: http://www.extremetech.com/computin...y-with-tsmc-claims-22nm-essentially-worthless

As you can see or read: From the slides they get almost 0 benefit and are stuck with a giant bill.
Now it's just a matter of time before someone forces something, takes a risk, or they work around things to minimize the bad, but it's not like it's been. Plus at sub 22nm things star getting frisky on stuff you have to use / fab. I've heard down to 10nm using mostly traditional materials as a possibility, but even at 22nm Intel put in tri-gate (FinFETs) to make sure they can overcome leakage problems at lower processes.

rwW2cIg.jpg

1RDizHZ.jpg

I would like to see an updated version of these slides. At this point, these graphs might not hold true anymore (and also, how much do we trust slides from GPU manufacturers?).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom