• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanctuary

I'm just going to go with Corsair watercooling (not sure what model though, 100i or cheaper) for the CPU and regular cooling for GPU's, me thinks.

Right, so am I. I guess I wasn't specific when I said watercooling. If you decide to use something like the H100, it looks like you have to give up the top exhaust to cool the CPU. That just leaves you with possibly a front intake, that's in front of the PSU (yuk) and the rear exhaust. You end up having to rely on the graphics card's own fan for pretty much all of its cooling needs. You also still can't fit two cards in the M if you go that route.

Currently looking into the Corsair 350d. Even though the 800d that I have needed to have some modifications for better cooling, and it ended up with some acoustic issues, the case was extremely easy to work with, and I really just want a case that's at least half the size (thing is HUGE and it's not even their largest case). It's also relatively quiet for the amount of fans and placement. I love the looks of the Prodigy line, yet from everything I'm reading so far, the Corsair 350d beats it in terms of flexibility, and in most cases cooling (not by that much though) and both are almost equal for noise.

kharma45

Right sorry about the delay, got sidetracked. As of now this is the best imo

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi Z87X 3D ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($62.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 330R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $922.90
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-13 18:07 EDT-0400)

It has actually come in at the exact same price as before. If you're needing Windows that'd take you up to your $1000 budget. Also if Microcenter deliver to you they've a good deal on the Fractal Core 3000 at $40 http://www.microcenter.com/product/383061/Core_3000_ATX_Mid_Tower_Computer_Case

They also do great CPU/motherboard deals too but they're in-store only.

Regarding features, what exactly would a higher-priced motherboard provide? Can't say I'm very knowledgeable on PC hardware.

More SATA ports, more USB ports, more PCI slots, 802.11 wireless, better heatsinks (supposedly), among other things.

It's all stuff really that you likely won't need, the Gigabyte is a fantastic board and will be more than ample.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($62.98 @ Outlet PC)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)

It has actually come in at the exact same price as before. If you're needing Windows that'd take you up to your $1000 budget. Also if Microcenter deliver to you they've a good deal on the Fractal Core 3000 at $40 http://www.microcenter.com/product/383061/Core_3000_ATX_Mid_Tower_Computer_Case

It's all stuff really that you likely won't need, the Gigabyte is a fantastic board and will be more than ample.

Good to know, thanks very much.

Dawg

Right, so am I. I guess I wasn't specific when I said watercooling. If you decide to use something like the H100, it looks like you have to give up the top exhaust to cool the CPU. That just leaves you with possibly a front intake, that's in front of the PSU (yuk) and the rear exhaust. You end up having to rely on the graphics card's own fan for pretty much all of its cooling needs. You also still can't fit two cards in the M if you go that route.

Currently looking into the Corsair 350d. Even though the 800d that I have needed to have some modifications for better cooling, and it ended up with some acoustic issues, the case was extremely easy to work with, and I really just want a case that's at least half the size (thing is HUGE and it's not even their largest case). It's also relatively quiet for the amount of fans and placement. I love the looks of the Prodigy line, yet from everything I'm reading so far, the Corsair 350d beats it in terms of flexibility, and in most cases cooling (not by that much though) and both are almost equal for noise.

Oh, you have two gpu's? Or one gpu and soundcard?

Were you looking at the H100 as well?

The radeon is not in stock :/

Phloxy

Hey Pc gaf, quick question before i press the purchase button, I have this ram in my pc already. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145250

I just want to make sure if I buy this ram to fill my other 3 slots there won't be a compatibility problem. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...145332&RandomID=54135246012121320131013144751

This is my mobo if it helps, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131365

Just bumping for some quick advice

Sanctuary

Oh, you have two gpu's? Or one gpu and soundcard?

Were you looking at the H100 as well?

Nah, I'm going for a single card solution. My point was only that getting the M over the standard Prodigy just seemed to be because you can fit two cards in it. But you can't if you decide to use the top for watercooling, because the slots for your cards are at the top of the case instead of the bottom. I was looking at the H100, H100i and H110. I am most likely just going to get the H110 due to it being a lot quieter as well as cooling slightly better than the H100. I also think it might be a bit too large for either Prodigy, but I'm not sure.

You might want to read up on the Corsair 350d. It's an mATX case that is much roomier than the Prodigy, and not that much larger. 17.3" x 8.3" x 17.7" vs 9.8'' x 15.9'' x 14.1''

They cost the same too and it for sure can fit the H110.

Just bumping for some quick advice

I see the ram you have now runs at 1.65v while the new one runs at 1.5v. I'm not sure if that will be an issue. The new ram is also CL 9 whle the old is CL 7.

You can probably change the voltage on the new ram to match 1.65, but the old ram will run at the at the slower CL9 setting. I'd try to find 1.65v ram that had the same CL to minimize the issues that might come up.

Dawg

Nah, I'm going for a single card solution. My point was only that getting the M over the standard Prodigy just seemed to be because you can fit two cards in it. But you can't if you decide to use the top for watercooling, because the slots for your cards are at the top of the case instead of the bottom. I was looking at the H100, H100i and H110. I am most likely just going to get the H110 due to it being a lot quieter as well as cooling slightly better than the H100. I also think it might be a bit too large for either Prodigy, but I'm not sure.

You might want to read up on the Corsair 350d. It's an mATX case that is much roomier than the Prodigy, and not that much larger. 17.3" x 8.3" x 17.7" vs 9.8'' x 15.9'' x 14.1''

They cost the same too and it for sure can fit the H110.

I've actually talked about that case a few pages back. You're right, it's an awesome case. I just think it's too big for mATX. The Prodigy is already on the limit.

The EVGA Hadron Air is looking good though. Included 500W Gold PSU. 180$

kennah

I've actually talked about that case a few pages back. You're right, it's an awesome case. I just think it's too big for mATX. The Prodigy is already on the limit.

Looks good... doesn't support any good coolers. 139mm limit and you can't even mount an H60 anywhere.

Dawg

Looks good... doesn't support any good coolers. 139mm limit and you can't even mount an H60 anywhere.

Yep, I've just found that out too. Too bad :(

Why is it so hard find to find a great mATX case that fits a Corsair watercooler :p And looks good. And isn't too big. And is quiet.

Sanctuary

Man, that is one sleek looking case. I think I like it even more than the Prodigy. Going to see how much space the Hadron Hydro offers though.

They are supposed to be releasing a similar model that supports watercooling.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...167-evga-hadron-air-mini-itx-case-review.html

Dawg

Might just roll with the original mITX Prodigy and a H80 cooler.

My store just stocked up a pretty good Gigabyte Z77 mobo (GA-Z77N-WIFI).

Didn't anyone here say not every cooler will fit on mITX motherboards? Of course, it's probably different with a Corsair set, but still.

kennah

Might just roll with the original mITX Prodigy and a H80 cooler.

My store just stocked up a pretty good Gigabyte Z77 mobo (GA-Z77N-WIFI).

Didn't anyone here say not every cooler will fit on mITX motherboards? Of course, it's probably different with a Corsair set, but still.
H series will fit on anything.

Great board. Wish I bought it instead of the P8Z77-I

Though not really. I don't like the way the port layout would work with my current case.

Any particular reason you don't fancy the Node?

Dawg

H series will fit on anything.

Great board. Wish I bought it instead of the P8Z77-I

Though not really. I don't like the way the port layout would work with my current case.

Any particular reason you don't fancy the Node?

Honestly, the interior looks scary to work with for me. It's very small and I haven't worked with mITX before so the Prodigy looks at least a little bit user friendly.

IMG_1600.jpg

Ieu

Kind of a dumb question...

Will 1 stick of ram work in modern motherboards? Or do I need to get a pair?

It'll work but a matched pair will perform slightly better, even if you have the same overall total memory e.g. a 8GB stick will be marginally slower than 2 x 4GB sticks.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
It'll work but a matched pair will perform slightly better, even if you have the same overall total memory e.g. a 8GB stick will be marginally slower than 2 x 4GB sticks.

Thanks, I only ask because there's some combo deal with the i5-4670k.

kennah

Honestly, the interior looks scary to work with for me. It's very small and I haven't worked with mITX before so the Prodigy looks at least a little bit user friendly.
Looks worse than it is and you'll be happy with the result.

Another Gaffer did a Node build as his first and it was fine.

Dawg

Game changer:

My friend might want to trade his Asus Impact VI + 4670K for my 3570K and Asrock Z77 Extreme4 + €100

I was going to spend €100 on a Z77 motherboard anyway, so should I do this? His motherboard is high-end mITX. He wants to go ATX again because he's crazy with watercooling and space and all.

Anton668

bah, cheap rosewill rear fan is almost dead

went ahead and ordered a Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition
grabbed a DVI - HDMI cable so I can run my second monitor while I was there...

kennah

Game changer:

My friend might want to trade his Asus Impact VI + 4670K for my 3570K and Asrock Z77 Extreme4 + €100

I was going to spend €100 on a Z77 motherboard anyway, so should I do this? His motherboard is high-end mITX. He wants to go ATX again because he's crazy with watercooling and space and all.
YES THAT IS AN AMAZING DEAL OMG

Whoa, was checking to see if my 7970 went on sale or had a price drop, but it's actually 70 bucks more expensive that what I paid.

Guess it was already on sale!

The lack any clearance 7970 prices anywhere in the US has been really disappointing. They are selling even reference 7970s at higher prices than the 280X. I guess they are banking on the 3 free games to be a big enough incentive.

After about 3 and a half years, a friend of mine is looking to overhaul his PC. His current specs are these:

GPU: Radeon HD 5770
CPU: Phenom II X6 1055t
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Mobo: Asus M4A87TD
RAM: 4GB
PSU: Seasonic X650

He's looking to trade up his core components to these:

GPU: Radeon HD 7970
CPU: i5 4670k
Mobo: Some decent 1150 socket
RAM: 16GB

First, do these parts look good? If so, is there likely to be a way to get that CPU and a quality mobo for a better price than the Z87-G41 bundle for $265 on this page come Black Friday? Finally, is the 7970 likely to drop below $225 this year, or does anyone know of one being sold below that? Right now, he could get all of these parts for $540, and that's satisfactory, but $500 would be ideal.

Dawg

Ok, this is gonna be it.

Asus Z87 Impact VI (nice soundcard too)
Intel i5-4670K
Corsair H60
BenQ XL2411T
Asus GTX 770 DC II OC
BitFenix Prodigy
PC& Power Cooling Silencer MK III 600w (actually need to be sure this fits)
8GB RAM 1600 (2x4)
Samsung EVO 840 250GB

This is going to be a beast.

kennah

Ok, this is gonna be it.

Asus Z87 Impact VI (nice soundcard too)
Intel i5-4670K
Corsair H60
BenQ XL2411T
Asus GTX 770 DC II OC
BitFenix Prodigy
PC& Power Cooling Silencer MK III 600w (actually need to be sure this fits)
8GB RAM 1600 (2x4)
Samsung EVO 840 250GB

This is going to be a beast.
I'm soooo jealous

Don't get the Prodigy

Inwin Green
11-108-448-TS

Lian Li PC-Q30
q03-01_575px.jpg

Compact Splash

NCASE M1
XVoq1c1l.jpg

CaseLabs S3

Dawg

Out of that entire list, only the Lian Li is available in my country :p

I'm still considering the Node 304 though, although it's €40 more expensive than the Prodigy.

kennah

everytime I see that pic my eyes immediately focus on the dents and scratches.. cannot unsee!!!

Covered under warranty - is being replaced with likely both a steel and an aluminum panel. I'm waiting to see the revisions that are happening on the version two of the case as I'm possibly buying a second one... (and then my replacement bits would be shipped with it)

If it helps. Mine is one of TWO intact custom coloured ones made by the original manufacturer (who only made the original 20. The other 80 are from a different manufacturer that knows how to pack things for shipping....)

I'm also typing on it right now. <3

jfoul

Inwin Green
11-108-448-TS

Wow, I really like the IN WIN H-Frame case designs. I hope they eventually release a micro-atx version.

Dawg

Well, it helps reduce my eye strain.

Thing is, I know someone who gets nausea when he plays 60fps games on his ps3 (used to 30 fps) so who knows, it might even get worse because stuff is even more fluid :p

Anton668

Covered under warranty - is being replaced with likely both a steel and an aluminum panel. I'm waiting to see the revisions that are happening on the version two of the case as I'm possibly buying a second one... (and then my replacement bits would be shipped with it)

If it helps. Mine is one of TWO intact custom coloured ones made by the original manufacturer (who only made the original 20. The other 80 are from a different manufacturer that knows how to pack things for shipping....)

I'm also typing on it right now. <3

oh for sure. its just ever since you pointed it out, it cannot be unseen. though i still gotta say, that blue is pimp!

Hi PC GAF.

I currently have a 4GB EVGA 680 classified, powered by a Corsair TX650M.

After having a clearout and selling some stuff the plan is to buy another 680 and another power supply but I have a few questions.

1. Is SLi going to help, especially for future games like Watch Dogs etc?
  2. Would the 750 watt version of my PSU be sufficient?
  3. What can I do about cooling these bad boys? The only fans I have in the system apart from the GPU ones are the ones on the H100i and the ones that came with the 550D.
  4. If you want to recommend something different, I'm all ears but I'd like to stick with NVidia.

Shaldome

Welp. I think I broke it after my last changes in my water loop and putting my water block on die. I put the main power back in my main board after the bleeding and leak testing and then computer stayed dead. The power light on the main board was on for about a second and then went out. Checked every cable and reseated everything but no luck.

In a last ditch effort I took the water block off again an could see that some pins on the CPU socket on the motherboard seemed to be bent. I carefully tried to correct them and put the CPU back in. Well, after fastening the last screw thumb on the water block I heard the sound of pins scratching on each other.
I was not in the mood to examine the damage. Worst case I need a new CPU and a new mother board. Already thinking about, what to get...

ArynCrinn

Banned
Question for you bottlenecking guru's. A customer I have (word of mouth is getting me in trouble lately) is on a budget and wants to go with the i5 3570K (wants no overclocking, because I charge an extra $100 because I'm a perfectionist about it). But he also wants, and has already bought, a GTX 780 ACX Classified... So at stock speeds on a 3570K how badly will that bottleneck the GPU, if at all? It's on a ASRock Z77 Extreme4 mobo, with 16GB of GSKill ARES RAM @2400.

Should I nudge him to get a refund on the 780 and go 770 4GB, or just urge the OC, or is it not a issue to just put it together as is. Said he wanted something somewhat "future proof", so I just wanted some input on that.

Thanks.

Also, deliddled my first two chips today! The Haswell I have and one of my 3770K's, so far the cooling difference is pretty great using water, haven't tested anything air yet. I'll see if I can push the Haswell a bit further now.

Dawg

With a processor like the 3570K (even at stock), I wouln't worry about any bottleneck. In fact, you could probably do quite a few years with it until the market has reached a point where single GPU's get bottlenecked by that CPU.

Not even a Titan is bottlenecked by a 3570K at stock. You could even go Titan SLI with a small overclock from the CPU, I bet.

Valravn

I have a new rig. I installed it last saturday. Maximus VI Hero and a i5 4670k, already overclocked to 4.6ghz. Also a new cpu cooler to keep the cpu cool; Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 2.

I managed the bent some of the cpu socket pins on my previous motherboard. And its still a mystery to me how it happened. I got most of the pins straight again but one pin broke off. Dammit. So i made the upgrade to Haswell. :) And im very happy with it, its very fast. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom