• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawg

OC Windforce 3X

or

Asus DC II OC

(gtx 770)

Both have the same price (€350)

Afaik, the Windforce Core is 100MHz more than Asus

jfoul

I'm thinking about grabbing the Silverstone SG09 or Silverstone SG10 for an older build. I want to tinker, but not go into a new build until Haswell-E (6/8 Core) late next year. I've read good feedback on the SG09, and $69.99 (w/rebate) seems like a decent price.

Tenck

Trying to buy some parts that'll last me a very long time. Any mobo recommendations you guys can give? Price isn't an issue, it's reliability that I don't want to have to worry about. I want to do SLI. I hardly deal with mobos, so I'm out of the loop when it comes to them.

ekim

This is what I expect a SteamBox can look like:
http://www.asrock.com/nettop/Intel/M8 Series/index.us.asp

M8-Main-6L.jpg

DSC_0540_678x452.jpg

Never seen this before. Don't like the design but the size and form factor is definitely appealing while it's still possible to have a GPU inside.

Hi PC GAF.

I currently have a 4GB EVGA 680 classified, powered by a Corsair TX650M.

After having a clearout and selling some stuff the plan is to buy another 680 and another power supply but I have a few questions.

1. Is SLi going to help, especially for future games like Watch Dogs etc?
  2. Would the 750 watt version of my PSU be sufficient?
  3. What can I do about cooling these bad boys? The only fans I have in the system apart from the GPU ones are the ones on the H100i and the ones that came with the 550D.
  4. If you want to recommend something different, I'm all ears but I'd like to stick with NVidia.

Anyone?

I'm about to pull the trigger.

ekim

Anyone?

I'm about to pull the trigger.

1. Depends on the optimization effort from the devs - but generally, yes.
2. Depends on your PSU manufacturer/model.
3. If you don't plan to overclock them and are able to leave one spare PCIe port between both you won't need something additional to cool them.

Jawmuncher

So i'm looking for some help.
Last year grabbed an Alienware X51 and loved it to death, but now i'm feeling I want to just build a PC. I'm thinking to save on cost that I would dismantle the X51 and in a sense basically just put what in there into a new case.

I'm definitely reaping what I sowed when I went for the easier route last year.
But regardless is this doable?

CPU: Intel® 3rd Generation CoreTM i7-3770 Processor (3.40GHz - 3.90GHz with Turbo Mode, 8MB Intel Smart Cache), GPU: 1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660, RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz (2 x 8GB) System Memory - 2 Memory Slots - \
HARD DRIVE: 1TB SATA 3Gb/s (7,200RPM) 32MB Cache, OPTICAL DRIVE: Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD+-RW, CD-RW)

My whole thing is I might as well move all these components (as well as getting a new PSU among other things) So that upgrading in the future will be easier. Is there anything im overlooking that could be a problem?

Gumbie

So i'm looking for some help.
Last year grabbed an Alienware X51 and loved it to death, but now i'm feeling I want to just build a PC. I'm thinking to save on cost that I would dismantle the X51 and in a sense basically just put what in there into a new case.

I'm definitely reaping what I sowed when I went for the easier route last year.
But regardless is this doable?

CPU: Intel® 3rd Generation CoreTM i7-3770 Processor (3.40GHz - 3.90GHz with Turbo Mode, 8MB Intel Smart Cache), GPU: 1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660, RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz (2 x 8GB) System Memory - 2 Memory Slots - \
HARD DRIVE: 1TB SATA 3Gb/s (7,200RPM) 32MB Cache, OPTICAL DRIVE: Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD+-RW, CD-RW)

My whole thing is I might as well move all these components (as well as getting a new PSU among other things) So that upgrading in the future will be easier. Is there anything im overlooking that could be a problem?

I'm getting ready to do the same thing to my wife's X51. Probably going to move it to a Bitfenix Prodigy. I saw another guy on an alienware forum did it with no problems. Here's a youtube video of a complete breakdown of the X51.

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://...BMtkWA&usg=AFQjCNHbVV4MWXlVGyIAWvp_UPoUefUSHA

Honestly though, it may just be easier to sale it and start over it. The more I think about moving it the more I'm leaning towards selling it and using the money for a new build.

Ok as for my own question... just realized that I don't really think my case is up to snuff for my current/future plans. Running these two 780's takes up a lot of space, and I want to add another 2-3 SSD's into the case.

So, what is the best current case I can buy in terms of space + cooling + looks + ease of use? Price doesn't matter, I just want something that's amazing for someone running SLI + OC'ing + plans to run multiple SSD's in RAID and wants to do air cooling and maybe eventual water cooling.

Anothe +1 for the Silverstone FT02. I have one and love it.
It's freaking huge and heavy thanks to it's mostly metal construction, but the airflow is the best I have seen. Space for SLI setups, stupidly good for air cooling CPUs, not sure that it's the best choice for water cooling though since it's not exactly full of places to mount a rad without modding it.
Has space for 5 3.5"drives (which can of course hold 2.5"drives with adapters), a specific 2.5" mount on the back of the motherboard plate, and many ODD slots that could be used to house more drives.

Only complaint I have is that there's not a whole heap of room in the back for cable management, but it's not a massive issue.

solid mike

Hello, I need a New PC GAF, I'm currently working on a project for my computer architecture class. We need to recommend PCs for this fictional company. I'll explain details later but for now I want to ask,

Using Hazaro's PC build sheet in the OP, how will I know that these parts will be compatible with each other when I (theoretically) build the PC for my client? Can I pick any of those parts and mix and match them to make a working desktop?

Thanks guys.

kharma45

Hello, I need a New PC GAF, I'm currently working on a project for my computer architecture class. We need to recommend PCs for this fictional company. I'll explain details later but for now I want to ask,

Using Hazaro's PC build sheet in the OP, how will I know that these parts will be compatible with each other when I (theoretically) build the PC for my client? Can I pick any of those parts and mix and match them to make a working desktop?

Thanks guys.

They'll all mix fine.

kennah

Depends. The H110 definitely won't fit everything, but basically all of the single 120m fan versions, and possibly the H90 will.
I was talking about motherboards not cases. He's going SFF so clearly a 100-110 won't fit ;)

As for my nausea. Any fps! Fov doesn't help. Locking to 30 sometimes helps but obviously is not optimal.

Dawg

Can't decide between the Corsair H60i or H80i. And not sure if I should keep their stock fan(s) or buy more silent ones.

Sanctuary

Can't decide between the Corsair H60i or H80i. And not sure if I should keep their stock fan(s) or buy more silent ones.

As suggested around the internet; just stick with stock and see whether or not you can tolerate the noise levels (or if there's any buzzing or rattling) before spending money on an alternative.

If I remember correctly, Anandtech said the stock fans are a great compromise between noise and performance on low settings. I'd say definitely try them first.

Dawg

As suggested around the internet; just stick with stock and see whether or not you can tolerate the noise levels (or if there's any buzzing or rattling) before spending money on an alternative.

If I remember correctly, Anandtech said the stock fans are a great compromise between noise and performance on low settings. I'd say definitely try them first.

All right. H60i or H80i though? I don't think I'll cross the 4,2Ghz limit on my 4670K

I said SFF.

Prodigy isn't SFF.

THERE I SAID IT.

1381733044090wds2a.gif

MadD4mon

The reason I'm asking is: I've seen this deal for the HD7950 and I was considering it. I want to build a new PC but I wanted to wait until January/February to buy all the stuff I need. Now I'm wondering if I should go grab it or just let it pass and hope for another deal next year.

January isn't so far away that you will be buying outdated technology. But with a 3 month span in waiting you could probably just work more hours and buy all the parts right now. The savings won't be that great.

Also a lot of people get antsy waiting to build their systems. Have to ask yourself if you're that type.

kennah

Pass on it. Gpu prices fluctuate as new ones come out.

Also I loved the Prodigy until I started looking at the other options. For the Splash I was totally in the right place at the right time, but had I not done that, probably would've done the node or SG05 in the end.

But either way. Still a decent LSFF case. For the size though may as well move up to something bigger and have something easier to work with.

scoobs

The reason I'm asking is: I've seen this deal for the HD7950 and I was considering it. I want to build a new PC but I wanted to wait until January/February to buy all the stuff I need. Now I'm wondering if I should go grab it or just let it pass and hope for another deal next year.

http://www.getgoods.de/detail/index... GDDR5 + Never Settle Forever Gold (3Spiele)

The only part i'd recommend buying separate from the others is the GPU. CPU/mobo/memory should be bought all at once pretty much always, because socket types/DIMM types change so much w/ new releases. You don't want to be stuck w/ a motherboard that doesn't support the new CPU or memory that just came out.

Sanctuary

I said SFF.

Prodigy isn't SFF.

THERE I SAID IT.

I don't even know why you're arguing with me. He was actually asking if the cooler would fit a specific motherboard size, but all I saw was your reply...which I replied to; thinking he was talking about cases still. So that part was my bad, and you already corrected it.

SFF doesn't even factor into this either really. First you say he's wanting to go SFF, then say that the Prodigy (which he wants) is not SFF. Make up your mind please.

Addnan

If you go prodigy you might as well go prodigy Matx. They look the same size, but you can get better boards for a cheaper price.

kharma45

Hey guys, I was thinking of SLI'ing my GTX770 sometime in the future, however when I bought it from amazon it did not say SLI at all in the description or anywhere, can I still do it anyway?
Here is the link to where I bought it.

Yes, they can all do it.

That type of cooler isn't ideal for it though, a blower is better. I'd say by the time the 770 runs out of legs you'd be better off with whatever new single card is out there near the top rather than adding another 770 to your system.

Jeb

Quick question: Is it better to save up and buy all PC parts at once or buy them one at a time when deals are available?

Depends, if free shipping I'm not sure, but when it isn't you may have to pay for each delivery while buying all at once comes in one single box at a way better price, but then again I only had that problem because I was ordering it from the US so I may have been special with my case.

Dawg

If you go prodigy you might as well go prodigy Matx. They look the same size, but you can get better boards for a cheaper price.

That Asus Impact VI mITX is so sexy though... and the price is actually decent if you factor in the extra soundcard.

Jeb

Yes, they can all do it.

That type of cooler isn't ideal for it though, a blower is better. I'd say by the time the 770 runs out of legs you'd be better off with whatever new single card is out there near the top rather than adding another 770 to your system.
I'm not planning to do it when the 770 is out of date, its more of an E penis thing, when next gen comes in and I have some extra cash I wanna be sure I can max everything at 60 fps for a good damn while, or at least be close.
Every once in a while I have this feeling I want to get this new device and I'm not feeling the next gen consoles right now, so I thought I might throw some more juice at my current device.

kakashi08

Got a question if anyone can help.
I got a really good gaming pc, 2x 7970. I'm not going to buy the nex gen consoles. But currently some games that I play with a controller I use a 360 controller. For next gen games that are on the PC, will the ps4 controller be compatible with them right away like the 360 is right now??, or will I have to use a xbone controller or 360. I personally like the ps3 controller right now but I use the 360 cuz its more simple to connect with the pc and just play.

Rufus

Got a question if anyone can help.
I got a really good gaming pc, 2x 7970. I'm not going to buy the nex gen consoles. But currently some games that I play with a controller I use a 360 controller. For next gen games that are on the PC, will the ps4 controller be compatible with them right away like the 360 is right now??, or will I have to use a xbone controller or 360. I personally like the ps3 controller right now but I use the 360 cuz its more simple to connect with the pc and just play.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...f-ps4-controller-will-work-with-pc-by-default

solid mike

Hey guys! So for my computer architecture class, I was assigned to recommend a computer system for 30 graphics designers of a fictional company. Using Hazaro's spreadsheet, here's what I've come up with:

With a budget of $23,255:

Graphics Card - AMD Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB
CPU - Intel i5 3350P 4C
Motherboard - MSI B75MA-P45
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 1.35V / 1.5V 2x4GB (8GB)
Storage - 2TB Seagate ST2000VN000
Casing - NZXT Source 210
Keyboard - Logitech Media Keyboard K200
Mouse - CM Storm Xornet

All these cost a total of $20,700 which leaves me with $2555 to work with the software they will use (aside -- does anyone know of an example of what graphics designers use to make graphics? like a general photoshop but for game graphics design?).

What do you guys think? Are these parts good for a feasible computer system?

Garou

Hey guys! So for my computer architecture class, I was assigned to recommend a computer system for 30 graphics designers of a fictional company. Using Hazaro's spreadsheet, here's what I've come up with:

CPU - Intel i5 3350P 4C
Casing - NZXT Source 210
Mouse - CM Storm Xornet

All these cost a total of $20,700 which leaves me with $2555 to work with the software they will use (aside -- does anyone know of an example of what graphics designers use to make graphics? like a general photoshop but for game graphics design?).

For professional PCs you should go for Nvidia Quadro/AMD FirePro GPUs.

kharma45

CPU - Intel i5 3350P 4C
Casing - NZXT Source 210
Mouse - CM Storm Xornet

Seems a tight budget for what they really need which is Quadro GPUs, Socket 2011 CPUs and probably more RAM too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom