• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Addnan

Hi Guys

I'm picking out parts for my second PC build for next generation. I had an AMD Phenom X4 @ 3.2ghz in my first PC.

Although I don't have any complaints I'd like to go Intel this time around. My question is that a few games I see are recommending up to 8 cores. As far as I can tell most Haswell processors are up to quad core.

People have been telling me that performance-wize Intel chips perform at or better than higher core AMD so I'll have plenty of power to run Watch Dogs or whatever comes around.

Is that the case?
Yeah, in gaming Intel wipes the floor with them right now. Can't go wrong with a 4670K or if you want/need 8 threads 4770K.

ClearData

Yeah, in gaming Intel wipes the floor with them right now. Can't go wrong with a 4670K or if you want/need 8 threads 4770K.

Thanks for the reply. This is what I'm looking at now

Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor

It's expensive but as long as I'm getting peak performance I am happy.

Ok this whole NVIDIA vs AMD thing is driving me crazy. I was holding out til the 28th because of the three games included with what I was planning to buy (GTX770) but now I am very torn.

Do I wait to see if NVIDIA drop prices soon to compete with the 290x or should I just go with the R9 280 which looks like the all-around best deal for me? OR do I wait for non-reference 290x to hit the marker??? ARGH! It seems with GPU's it's either buy immediately or play the perpetual waiting game.

One thing to note is that I was planning to run a HDMI to my TV for second monitor stuff like video and playing console ports and such. I know NVIDIA has an on board sound solution that would let me run everything to the TV through the card, but does AMD offer a similar function?

Are there any other feature differences I should be aware of before I pull the trigger? This would be my first AMD card.

Addnan

Ok this whole NVIDIA vs AMD thing is driving me crazy. I was holding out til the 28th because of the three games included with what I was planning to buy (GTX770) but now I am very torn.

Do I wait to see if NVIDIA drop prices soon to compete with the 290x or should I just go with the R9 280 which looks like the all-around best deal for me? OR do I wait for non-reference 290x to hit the marker??? ARGH! It seems with GPU's it's either buy immediately or play the perpetual waiting game.

One thing to note is that I was planning to run a HDMI to my TV for second monitor stuff like video and playing console ports and such. I know NVIDIA has an on board sound solution that would let me run everything to the TV through the card, but does AMD offer a similar function?

Are there any other feature differences I should be aware of before I pull the trigger? This would be my first AMD card.
I would personally wait for a non reference 290x or wait and see how Nvidia react to the 290x pricing. The current 290x is ridiculously loud.

The sound should just work through HDMI with either brand.

kennah

Amd's onboard audio system is supposed to be better with the True Audio hardware acceleration - but it is only on the 260, 290 and 290X

kharma45

Money is not really an issue. But i don't want to go totally overboard.

I need one that Gives some headroom for OC if i want to go down that path.

I live in Belgium if you want a location .

Amazon.fr doesn't seem to have all that much to choose from, found a few things there. Where else would you look for components in Belgium? I'll try and get a shortlist of options.

Thorgal

Amazon.fr doesn't seem to have all that much to choose from, found a few things there. Where else would you look for components in Belgium? I'll try and get a shortlist of options.

If it is too much trouble i can ask after a PSU at the store i bought my pc parts (and were kind enough to put it together ) from.

All i need is some Good PSU options and i can go ask if they have those in stock or else if they can order them.

Edit : scratch that. there Site doesn't list products .

2San

My old AMD HD6950 runs sounds through HDMI, you should be fine.
I would personally wait for a non reference 290x or wait and see how Nvidia react to the 290x pricing. The current 290x is ridiculously loud.
The 290 might be an interesting option as well. The benchmarks for that will be released soonish afaik.

I'm going to clean my PC for the first time tomorrow, just to get rid of all the build up dust. I've been postponing it for a month now but recently my CPU fan has started to sound like a jet engine. I'm going to buy a compressed air can and give everything a good spray tomorrow. Any things I should be wary off or some other general tips? Much obliged.

Crisco

Banned
I'm going to clean my PC for the first time tomorrow, just to get rid of all the build up dust. I've been postponing it for a month now but recently my CPU fan has started to sound like a jet engine. I'm going to buy a compressed air can and give everything a good spray tomorrow. Any things I should be wary off or some other general tips? Much obliged.

Depending on how long it's been, compressed air might not be enough. The dust gets caked on to the point where it basically turns into cement, and you have to use an isopropyl alcohol soaked cloth to clean it off.

jbpaz

This is the 12v CPU supplemental power correct? It's connected directly in the PSU like the main motherboard power connector.

r6Fpecf.jpg

Some of the same stuff as when you built it, which can be easy to forget to consider. Make sure you discharge any static electricity by touching a metallic portion of your case etc (I also always unplug my power supply before opening up my case). It's also a good time to make sure that all of your wiring's still in place - a friend of mine wound up overheating and destroying a ram stick because a wire had become tangled in one of his case fans.

If it's only been a month, you probably don't have anything caked on too thick, so you probably don't have to "prepare" for that,so don't run out and buy cleaner or anything, but just keep it in mind in case.

So I'm finally running two EVGA 680 GTX Classifieds in SLI but my reported GPU RAM is 3GB instead of 4GB, what gives? I'm aware that running in SLI won't double the RAM but I should still have 4GB right?

kennah

So I'm finally running two EVGA 680 GTX Classifieds in SLI but my reported GPU RAM is 3GB instead of 4GB, what gives? I'm aware that running in SLI won't double the RAM but I should still have 4GB right?

Where is it reporting this? You're using the most recent drivers? 64bit windows? Checking in 64bit software?

bro1

Banned

What version of windows are you using? Also, is this with GPUZ?

What version of windows are you using? Also, is this with GPUZ?

Windows 7 64 bit, I've only checked 3D Mark and Geforce Experience so far

Could it be that the bridge isn't installed properly? Although the Nvidia control panel is letting me run in SLI...

Edit: CPU-Z isn't finding either GPU, ok now it is and both cards are reporting 4GB.

kennah

mkenyon pointed out a problem with the 290X to me. Basically the card is shipping at its max clocks already. This reduces overclocking headroom. Which means that you don't have anywhere to go with the card once you have it. Stock is pretty well as good as it gets.

index.php

index.php

"$200 less
for nearly identical performance
but with insane noise and heat
seems like the only people that should be considering a 290X at this point
are watercoolers
then it's a really good value proposition"

The 780 overclocks beyond Titan levels (which is something we knew already) for less money than the Titan. (And I've been saying for months that the Titan is pointless with the 780 and that the 780)

But, it's nice to have the game shook up right now, interesting to see what nvidia will do to counter with the 780Ti (unless it's just a preoverclocked 780)

RedSwirl

Availability of parts seems to fluctuate somewhat frequently. I take another look at my list a day later and my SSD and keyboard are gone.

kennah

Shit now my optical drive's gone. I guess it doesn't make sense to really put these lists together until the week you actually plan to order them.

That's exactly correct. You should only be worried about the 'now'. You'll drive yourself insane otherwise.

kharma45

mkenyon pointed out a problem with the 290X to me. Basically the card is shipping at its max clocks already. This reduces overclocking headroom. Which means that you don't have anywhere to go with the card once you have it. Stock is pretty well as good as it gets.

index.php

index.php

"$200 less
are watercoolers

The 780 overclocks beyond Titan levels (which is something we knew already) for less money than the Titan. (And I've been saying for months that the Titan is pointless with the 780 and that the 780)

But, it's nice to have the game shook up right now, interesting to see what nvidia will do to counter with the 780Ti (unless it's just a preoverclocked 780)

Yeah i would hold fire unless you plan to do something about that damn cooler.

Addnan

Plus if Nvidia cut the price of the 780 and say the MSI lightning drops to $550, now that would be a crazy buy. Can overclock much higher than what it comes at and what it comes at can beat Titans in many instances.

"$200 less
are watercoolers

Seems you can get ~10% overclock on the reference coolers. Reviews indicated the card may overclock considerably more given aftermarket cooling and PCBs.

FlipJonesy

Neo Member
I'm looking at getting a CPU cooler for my 3570k. I'm finding the Zalman CNPS9900A LED CPU Cooler on craigslist for $30 new, normally $47 new. Does anybody have any experience with this cooler? I'm reading good reviews on newegg and amazon, but mostly I'm wondering about weight. Some of the coolers I've seen out there are pretty huge, and I don't a heavy cooler that's going to cause my mobo to flex from it's weight. Also, anything else I should be looking at in the $30-35 range?

kharma45

If it is too much trouble i can ask after a PSU at the store i bought my pc parts (and were kind enough to put it together ) from.

All i need is some Good PSU options and i can go ask if they have those in stock or else if they can order them.

Edit : scratch that. there Site doesn't list products .

These are good but not that cheap

http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B00918N4A0/

http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B002VA7RPS/

http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B007Z1DOX2/

Some of these ones can have coil whine so I'd need to research more first http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B009VV56U8/

I'm looking at getting a CPU cooler for my 3570k. I'm finding the Zalman CNPS9900A LED CPU Cooler on craigslist for $30 new, normally $47 new. Does anybody have any experience with this cooler? I'm reading good reviews on newegg and amazon, but mostly I'm wondering about weight. Some of the coolers I've seen out there are pretty huge, and I don't a heavy cooler that's going to cause my mobo to flex from it's weight. Also, anything else I should be looking at in the $30-35 range?

Get a Hyper 212 Plus or Evo.

kennah

Zalman was a good cooler in the C2D days, but is shitty now. Get a hyper 212. The weight isn't an issue because of the backplates, it spreads the weight out over a larger area. you'd need to be vibrating your computer case for flex to be an issue.

Anton668

dont waste your money on a zalman

heres another vote for the 212

kennah

FUN TRUE STORY

Horizontal motherboard mounting doesn't stop heavy cooler flex.

Our touring projection computer, which sits in the bottom of a padded create, is a horizontally mounted i72600K with a low profile Zalman cooler (the brand is irrelevant). It has been bouncing around in that crate for a couple years now. When we took it out to get it prepped for the next show, the cooler and vibration had warped the motherboard such to the point that the backplate didn't line up with the ports anymore.

Now, I put some non conducting foam padding underneath and it flexed back into place. This should give you an idea of a) horizontal vs vertical doesn't matter and b) a motherboard can take quite an amount of flex before problems occur.

yatesl

Back to overclocking on CPU, I've ran in to a weird problem. I used to have my 4670K running at 4.2 @ 1.22v. It was all fine and good.

I updated my nvidia drivers the other day, and it blackscreened as usual. Waited a while, and did a hard reset. Whenever I do that, my BIOS pops up about a boot failure, and reset settings. I do, then change it back to my overclock. Last time I forgot to change it back though, so whatever.

I noticed now, so went back in to BIOS to change it to 4.2 @ 1.22v, and for some reason it doesn't even get to boot now - it just cuts off, then tells me to go back in to BIOS because there's a boot failure.

Have I broken my CPU somehow?

kennah

Back to overclocking on CPU, I've ran in to a weird problem. I used to have my 4670K running at 4.2 @ 1.22v. It was all fine and good.

I updated my nvidia drivers the other day, and it blackscreened as usual. Waited a while, and did a hard reset. Whenever I do that, my BIOS pops up about a boot failure, and reset settings. I do, then change it back to my overclock. Last time I forgot to change it back though, so whatever.

I noticed now, so went back in to BIOS to change it to 4.2 @ 1.22v, and for some reason it doesn't even get to boot now - it just cuts off, then tells me to go back in to BIOS because there's a boot failure.

Have I broken my CPU somehow?
It's possible there is another setting missed somewhere. I'd reset your BIOS and try again.

yatesl

It's possible there is another setting missed somewhere. I'd reset your BIOS and try again.

Hm yeah, just tried again and it's booted fine. Maybe I wasn't hitting apply on the increased voltages or something... but then, that's not something I'd miss. Very strange, and now I'm slightly worried...

No, scratch that - For some reason my BIOS isn't saving my settings when I click Save & Exit.

Windows 7 64 bit, I've only checked 3D Mark and Geforce Experience so far

Could it be that the bridge isn't installed properly? Although the Nvidia control panel is letting me run in SLI...

Edit: CPU-Z isn't finding either GPU, ok now it is and both cards are reporting 4GB.

Anyone?

My 3D Mark score is 11260, I'm guessing that's good?

sfried

So this is what newegg had to say about the Open Box 7850:

Newegg said:
Newegg Staff: Hello sfried,

We are glad to see that you are interested in purchasing this item from us. However, we cannot guarantee versions or revisions on the items sold on our store. The items we sell are not found in the office where our Customer Service department is located and, therefore, we are unable to physically check the items in stock. We, basically, can only confirm what is posted on the item's webpage.

I dunno guys. Should I go for the 7850 even in this condition for $130, or should I just settle for the 260X at the same price?

kennah

So this is what newegg had to say about the Open Box 7850:

I dunno guys. Should I go for the 7850 even in this condition for $130, or should I just settle for the 260X at the same price?

There's a gaffer selling a 7870 for $125 shipped in the Buy Sell Trade thread. Go buy that.

Hm yeah, just tried again and it's booted fine. Maybe I wasn't hitting apply on the increased voltages or something... but then, that's not something I'd miss. Very strange, and now I'm slightly worried...

No, scratch that - For some reason my BIOS isn't saving my settings when I click Save & Exit.

Isn't 1.2v very low? Maybe bump up to 1.3 then go down if stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom