• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kabuto

Hi PC-GAF

So I have some Amazon credit I can use and I was wondering should I get a 500gb SSD or should I just use a 250gb with my current 64gb SSD? Is it easy to move everything over?

I was also wondering if I should upgrade to Windows 8/8.1 when I get my new SSD. How easy is it to install a new OS? I haven't installed any since I first got my PC.

Seagoon

Is it a bad time to look at buying a GTX 780 - I've been looking at the EVGA SC model but with the talk of GHz and Ti editions I'm wondering if I should be waiting.

Buying a 780 will already max out my budget.

780 with a Seasonic G Series SSR550, may be cutting it close but its a pretty good psu. Thoughts?

If it's a good PSU you should be okay. Anandtech tested a 780 with a 3960X @ 4.3GHz and the system draw maxed out at 405W (http://www.anandtech.com/show/6973/nvidia-geforce-gtx-780-review/19). I would think worst case scenario is your system is unstable and you buy a new PSU, but maybe someone else will chime in.

Man, this thread is a nice way to not lose my mind while I work all night lol.

Seanspeed

Banned
Is it a bad time to look at buying a GTX 780 - I've been looking at the EVGA SC model but with the talk of GHz and Ti editions I'm wondering if I should be waiting.

Its a fabulous time to buy one. The Ti version will be much more expensive.

I put together a new system about three days ago and I've had nothing but trouble since.

Three main problems:

1. "AMD display driver has stopped working and has recovered" every ten minutes. Screen goes blank then comes back on. Causes games to go to desktop, system is frozen. I can't roll back drivers because these are the latest ones and the only ones installed.

2. Sleeping Dogs crashes the entire system, switches everything off. No other game so far has done this but Ive read on steam forums that other people have had this problem so at this point Im willing to put this aside and just assume its the games fault.

3. "The main bios is corrupted. The system recovered from backup bios". The system just crashed by itself minutes ago, tries to switch on and off over and over again, and now it won't turn on at all.

If anyone has any ideas it would be appreciated.
I will return parts if necessary but I don't even know whats causing these problems.
So far its a $2000 lemon

I'm seriously considering canceling the consoles and getting either an EVGA 780 Classified or a 780ti. The 780 ti will still be cheaper than both consoles + accessories(xbox live, ps plus, play and charge kit). I figure I have between the 8-10th for a safe point to cancel before the PS4 gets charged on my account and ships.

I'm seriously considering canceling the consoles and getting either an EVGA 780 Classified or a 780ti. The 780 ti will still be cheaper than both consoles + accessories(xbox live, ps plus, play and charge kit). I figure I have between the 8-10th for a safe point to cancel before the PS4 gets charged on my account and ships.

I keep considering the same cause there is nothing i want atm that won't be on PC but I know I will buy a ps4 in a few months regardless for infamous and i doubt the price will change till then.

I keep considering the same cause there is nothing i want atm that won't be on PC but I know I will buy a ps4 in a few months regardless for infamous and i doubt the price will change till then.

Fuck man, you have no idea how many times I've gone back and forth. I thought about SLI even, but I bought a Nexus 5 so that's out of the question now.

The best thing that you can do is get a cheaper card and upgrade again in a few years.

Or why only one 780ti?

JustinBB7

I think my front panel fan is hitting the frame. It's easy to take out of the case and the wires run through a little tunnel, so it's not a wire hitting the fan. The fan is seriously hitting the frame I think. Kinda annoying, is this common with this case? (Fractal design define R4 Black Pearl) and is there a way to fix this? I'd rather have it on, but the sound is too much so I had to take it off.

So right now I only have my back fan and the CM 212 EVO running for cooling and my CPU temps are between 21 and 27 degrees (celcius). Haven't done any gaming yet though, just firefox/steam are running basically. Those good temps for that right? (for i7)

Edit: Doing fastest virus scan and getting 50's now. But it's back and forth between 25 and 50's.

Is it connected to a SATA3 port (not SATA2)?

I'm not sure actually. Didn't know there was a difference, I think it was all the same though?

WIR is dumb.

That is true.

puzl

Banned
Hay PC-GAF what do you think of this card?

is it a steal at this price?
ZOTAC GTX 780 3GB AMP! Edition

I bought that exact same card earlier this morning from scan too. Amazing price, for what is essentially a TITAN beater. It's the fastest 780 on the market I believe.

ngraph-01.jpg

Full review here http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/59857-zotac-geforce-gtx-780-amp-edition-updated/

If I do get a 780 or 780ti, should I have by GTX 670 be a dedicated PhysX card? I'm probably not going to sell it anyways. I planned to keep it as a backup emergency card. Or, will having the 780 or 780ti run in x16 be better? My chipset will turn both pcie 2.0 to x8 if running two cards.

Addnan

If I do get a 780 or 780ti, should I have by GTX 670 be a dedicated PhysX card? I'm probably not going to sell it anyways. I planned to keep it as a backup emergency card.
It doesn't hurt too, but the system power draw would be higher than it needs to be. I think it was sketch who did the quick test and found decent improvement with a dedicated Phsyx card.

It doesn't hurt too, but the system power draw would be higher than it needs to be. I think it was sketch who did the quick test and found decent improvement with a dedicated Phsyx card.

I think PhysX is mostly bullshit, but the snow in Arkham Origins was very pretty. It kind of convinced me more than cloth and newspapers in the other games. As far as draw, I have a Corsair AX850, I think I'm good.

ColR100

Quick question:-

What is the best purchase option out of a GTX 670 and a GTX 760? Both with 2GB ram, and around the same price (£10-£20 difference).

I was tempted by the Zotac GTX 780 which has been posted above, but seems like overkill and it's double the price of either the 670 or 760.

Quick question:-

What is the best purchase option out of a GTX 670 and a GTX 760? Both with 2GB ram, and around the same price (£10-£20 difference).

I was tempted by the Zotac GTX 780 which has been posted above, but seems like overkill and it's double the price of either the 670 or 760.

They perform around the same. I believe the 760 is a rebranded 670 anyways, unless I'm corrected. I say get whichever is cheaper.

Edit: I read from another site that the 760 is rebranded 660ti. Here are benchmark comparisons of the 670 and 760 from anadtech http://anandtech.com/bench/product/830?vs=854

ColR100

Cheers for that information CreepingFear. I did initially have a feeling the cards were very similar, but I was wondering about minor differences that would have swayed me either way.

The 670 definitely looks like the right option to go for then. Thanks!

Cheers for that information CreepingFear. I did initially have a feeling the cards were very similar, but I was wondering about minor differences that would have swayed me either way.

The 670 definitely looks like the right option to go for then. Thanks!

The 670 is still a great card. Hope it works out for you.

golem

Power supply maybe?

I put together a new system about three days ago and I've had nothing but trouble since.

Three main problems:

1. "AMD display driver has stopped working and has recovered" every ten minutes. Screen goes blank then comes back on. Causes games to go to desktop, system is frozen. I can't roll back drivers because these are the latest ones and the only ones installed.

2. Sleeping Dogs crashes the entire system, switches everything off. No other game so far has done this but Ive read on steam forums that other people have had this problem so at this point Im willing to put this aside and just assume its the games fault.

3. "The main bios is corrupted. The system recovered from backup bios". The system just crashed by itself minutes ago, tries to switch on and off over and over again, and now it won't turn on at all.

If anyone has any ideas it would be appreciated.
I will return parts if necessary but I don't even know whats causing these problems.
So far its a $2000 lemon

Smokey

well guys, I'm thinking in "upgrading" my pc rig. .

cpu Intel 2500k @ 4,2Ghz
4GB (2x2GB) ram DDR3 1600
Noctua NH-U12P
AMD ATI 7950 (OC'ed @ 1150/1500)
Asrock Z60 Pro3
Sandisk Extreme 256GB SDD

I know an upgrade isn't much neccessary, but I'm thinking at least in upgrading the ram memory by replacing the current modules for 8gb (2x4gb) DDR3 2133, and replacing my old Noctua cooler for a better one, but I'm still not sure about the right cooler, is the Corsair H80i worth it? any suggestion to keep my 2500k @ 4,2Ghz while running cool?

The H80i is a good cooler. I am a fan of the closer water-cooling solutions versus the standard air fans. Takes up less space in your case making it easier to work in, and it looks better. My H80i runs my 2600k @ 4.6hz. When gaming temps are mostly in the mid 60s. If you can get it, I'd recommend going for it.

Smokey

Yeah I was running blend. Tried Small FFT and I was getting 83C at 4.7ghz and 1.45v.

Clocked it down to 1.4v / 4.6ghz and getting 74C max temp on Small FFT. Happy with that clock.

It could be because I have a really good 2600k, but 1.4v still seems a bit high to me for 4.6ghz. I'm currently running mine at 1.3v for 4.6ghz. In the past I had it in the sub 1.3v area. If you'd like to reduce your temps, I would keep testing and lowering the voltage until you start getting blue screens. Adjust etc until you find a good resting point. Of course if you're fine where you're at now, that's cool.

Did you manually OC, or use software to do so?

If I do get a 780 or 780ti, should I have by GTX 670 be a dedicated PhysX card? I'm probably not going to sell it anyways. I planned to keep it as a backup emergency card. Or, will having the 780 or 780ti run in x16 be better? My chipset will turn both pcie 2.0 to x8 if running two cards.

IMO no. The 780/ti is enough to handle both tasks.

I currrently have a HP pavillion desktop with an AMD A8-5600K CPU. I'm looking to add a dedicated GPU and wanted to know at which point would my CPU become the bottle neck? Would a AMD 7950 be a good match for this CPU? Or should I go Nvidia?

Also any recommendation on a cheap but sufficient PSU would be appreciated. Thanks.

kennah

I currrently have a HP pavillion desktop with an AMD A8-5600K CPU. I'm looking to add a dedicated GPU and wanted to know at which point would my CPU become the bottle neck? Would a AMD 7950 be a good match for this CPU? Or should I go Nvidia?

Also any recommendation on a cheap but sufficient PSU would be appreciated. Thanks.

No such thing. Gpu limited games will always take advantage of a better gpu. Cpu limited games will always take advantage of a better cpu.

Get whatever fits your budget.

As for psu look for an xfx or seasonic on sale.

Telling us what country you are in will help someone find a specific deal for you.

I think my front panel fan is hitting the frame. It's easy to take out of the case and the wires run through a little tunnel, so it's not a wire hitting the fan. The fan is seriously hitting the frame I think. Kinda annoying, is this common with this case? (Fractal design define R4 Black Pearl) and is there a way to fix this? I'd rather have it on, but the sound is too much so I had to take it off.

So right now I only have my back fan and the CM 212 EVO running for cooling and my CPU temps are between 21 and 27 degrees (celcius). Haven't done any gaming yet though, just firefox/steam are running basically. Those good temps for that right? (for i7)

Edit: Doing fastest virus scan and getting 50's now. But it's back and forth between 25 and 50's.

I'm not sure actually. Didn't know there was a difference, I think it was all the same though?

That is true.
Re: SATA2/3, make sure you check your motherboard's manual and see which port you've connected it to.

I was doing some work in my case the other day and noticed I totally put my SSDs on the wrong ports. I swapped them to SATA3 ports and it made a noticeable difference in both Linux and Windows. Like, things opened faster and it felt snappier!

So yeah, definitely check just in case.

Make sure you check how big a video card your case can accomodate before you buy anything, BTW.

scottzorus

Neo Member
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Cooler Master V850 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM (64-bit)

With this setup, what would be the best fans to get and where to put them? Intake/exhaust? Really not sure how to setup the whole fan situation. The only fans I have right now are the ones that came with the case. Any help
would be appreciated, thanks.

Edit: Will be overclocking, not sure if that would mean I need more fans.

Mogwai

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Cooler Master V850 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM (64-bit)

With this setup, what would be the best fans to get and where to put them? Intake/exhaust? Really not sure how to setup the whole fan situation. The only fans I have right now are the ones that came with the case. Any help
would be appreciated, thanks.

Edit: Will be overclocking, not sure if that would mean I need more fans.
A common setup is to have one intake fan in the front and one exhaust in the back. Make sure you mount the Hyper 212 fan to support the air flow of the case.

Thorgal

Gaf i have a problem

i keep getting BSODs regularly whenever i pull my PC out of Standbye mode and then reboots itself and everything works again.

Any idea what might be causing this ?

JustinBB7

My LG Flatron w2261v - pf monitor died. It powers on but then just goes off. Been having weird problems with it for a while now but now it's completely dead. Just instantly goes off.

Don't think I can fix that, any tips for a new monitor? The LG I have is 21.5 inches. Would 23 inches be better or is it not that noticeable?

I'm looking at the ASUS VE247H now.

IMO no. The 780/ti is enough to handle both tasks.

I think I'll try it without the 670 at x16 speed and I can always throw the 670 in if Physx is killing fps in something to see if there is an improvement.

Next week, probably the 8th, will be judgement day for me. Based on the reviews of the 780ti, which is supposed to come out on the 7th I believe, I'm going to decide whether I should keep the new consoles or get a 780 or 780ti. If the 780ti is that much of an improvement over the Titan and 780, then that's what I'll be getting. If it's very mild, I'll save the money and get the 780 most likely. I know value wise I should probably get the 780, but I went with the 2600k when everyone told me to get the 2500k and I don't regret it.

THE:MILKMAN

PC GAF, my brother want's to finally upgrade his aged PC to mainly play Warcraft plus GTA5 if it gets released and any racers that take his fancy.

He only needs CPU/MOBO/RAM/PSU. He will until early next year stick with the Radeon HD6850 I sold to him. His budget is a tight ~£350 and am unsure whether to go the latest Z87/4670 or go 3rd gen.

How would you spend the tight budget?

Cheers.

Dawg

What's a good keyboard and mouse combo for $100? Mouse is the biggest priority.

I know the OP lists some but I prefer personal opinions.

The Corsair M65 looks great.

kharma45

PC GAF, my brother want's to finally upgrade his aged PC to mainly play Warcraft plus GTA5 if it gets released and any racers that take his fancy.

He only needs CPU/MOBO/RAM/PSU. He will until early next year stick with the Radeon HD6850 I sold to him. His budget is a tight ~£350 and am unsure whether to go the latest Z87/4670 or go 3rd gen.

Cheers.

If he can save up the extra I'd go for this

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£174.69 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi Z87X 3D ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£104.99 @ Ebuyer)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£48.99 @ Amazon UK)
Other: Crucial BLT2CP4G3D1608DT1TX0CEU 8GB (2x 4GB) Ballistix Tactical Memory (£54.00)
Total: £382.67
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-03 20:15 GMT+0000)

It is the best option in the long run as you'll have an overclockable CPU, a good motherboard for it and a PSU to handle any single GPU. All that would be needed would be a Hyper 212 to overclock the CPU for around £25 down the line when he has more funds.

If money is really tight and doesn't want to save a bit more you can drop to Ivy and get a 450w PSU

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£165.97 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£104.98 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£35.34 @ Scan.co.uk)
Other: Crucial BLT2CP4G3D1608DT1TX0CEU 8GB (2x 4GB) Ballistix Tactical Memory (£54.00)
Total: £360.29
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-03 20:20 GMT+0000)

There is lastly this combo within budget where you go for a less able motherboard when it comes to overclocking but it allows for the 550w PSU

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£165.97 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£79.49 @ Ebuyer)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£48.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £348.45
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-03 20:21 GMT+0000)

All of those options are solid choices. I would imagine it will be between build 1 with Haswell and build 3 with the G45.

maneil99

I think I'll try it without the 670 at x16 speed and I can always throw the 670 in if Physx is killing fps in something to see if there is an improvement.

Next week, probably the 8th, will be judgement day for me. Based on the reviews of the 780ti, which is supposed to come out on the 7th I believe, I'm going to decide whether I should keep the new consoles or get a 780 or 780ti. If the 780ti is that much of an improvement over the Titan and 780, then that's what I'll be getting. If it's very mild, I'll save the money and get the 780 most likely. I know value wise I should probably get the 780, but I went with the 2600k when everyone told me to get the 2500k and I don't regret it.
Get a 780. 780 will be s smaller jump then titan is to a 780. ( 2 SMX and 300 cuda cores vs 1 SMX and 150 cuda cores). Not to mention aftermarket coolers wont be thier day one aswell as stock will be low at launch. Plus with maxwell in Q2 packing nearly 2.5x the specs as the 780ti. Will be a massive leap
Only factor is the 7ghz memory in the Ti vs Regular GTX. Wont factor unless your memory bottlenecked in 1440p

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ah, I was always paranoid about getting my vcore a bit too high but mine is set to 1.35v (In the UEFI 1.38v on load) at 4.6Ghz using my i5 2500K and using a Thermalright 140mm True Spirit.

I have added a 2nd fan to the thing in a push/pull and a quick 30min Prime 95 run using Small FFT had a peak of 65 degrees. I honestly thought that was a little high if I'm honest. I'm happy with 4.6Ghz anyway but may try to see just how fast this old dog (I bought this 1 week after SB came out) can still go.

Edit: On the GPU front I have 2 Radeon 7850's in Crossfire but now want to see what the R9 290 is like. If it's not as good for performance/£ as I'd hoped I think I will wait for Maxwell.
Thats solid.
Hi PC-GAF

So I have some Amazon credit I can use and I was wondering should I get a 500gb SSD or should I just use a 250gb with my current 64gb SSD? Is it easy to move everything over?

I was also wondering if I should upgrade to Windows 8/8.1 when I get my new SSD. How easy is it to install a new OS? I haven't installed any since I first got my PC.
Clone your SSD to a bigger SSD. 250GB is enough imo.

Might as well wait 2 weeks and we should have more info on everything.;
New GPU is nice, but so are new titles. IMO the launch lineup for both consoles isn't worth buying Day 1 and I've played both consoles a few times already.

That sounds fine. You can contact whoever sold you the case or Fractal, you should be able to get a new fan replacement.
Gaf i have a problem

i keep getting BSODs regularly whenever i pull my PC out of Standbye mode and then reboots itself and everything works again.

Any idea what might be causing this ?
There's a bug that can cause this with SSDs I think (Either them or a low power BIOS option), I forget exactly what this is as it was a while ago.
What's a good keyboard and mouse combo for $100? Mouse is the biggest priority.

I know the OP lists some but I prefer personal opinions.

The Corsair M65 looks great.
OP is also personal :p

I'd say Spawn and Mech KB, screw your priorities!

Cheers.
Used 2500K/3570K plus a $100 Z77 board = $230 + BP550 or other modular 500W ($65) + 8GB DDR3 ($60, can also buy used since it's all lifetime warranty)

maneil99

Theres no such thing as a GHz edition. Its just a OC model similiar to the acx model. Everything you read about it being some new chip was false, some idiot made a thread about it I think. Its just a regular aftermarket 780. No superchip nothing. If the 780 is maxing your budget why even consider a 780 ti. Its 200$ more. Buy the ACX SC. Your only wasting your time if you wait

Thorgal

There's a bug that can cause this with SSDs I think (Either them or a low power BIOS option), I forget exactly what this is as it was a while ago.

Well i don’t have an SSD in my PC so thay cannot be it.

The weird part is how irregular it happens.

Had a BSOD then 2 days it ran fine and Then it happens again.

If it did BSOD every single time ,it would be easy to surmise something is broken but it works fine 6a7 out of 10 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom