• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

maneil99

I completely regret buying a 780 ACX in July instead of a 780 Ti next week :( Someone help me justify my purchase.

Anyways heres how to Clean Install Windows 8.1 with only 8.0. Helps bypass all the driver issues

Okay I love having a clean PC. And knowing there are possible driver issues with 8 vs 8.1 I went crazy. And like many of you may have found out its impossible to clean install windows 8.1 without a 8.1 key. Or is it?

Here is my guide on how to clean install windows 8.1

You will need to have windows 8 downloaded and 8.1 installed ( It may be possible to do this without 8.1 installed but I did not try)

First here is how to get a 8.1 Iso from the Microsoft store ( Credits to http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-81-tip-download-windows-81-iso-windows-8-product-key)

"In a web browser, navigate to Microsoft's Upgrade Windows (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only) with only a product key page. Then, click the light blue Install Windows 8 button. Windows 8 Setup will run. Input your Windows 8 product key when prompted and Setup will tell you which version of the Windows 8 Setup ISO it will download. (This is based on the PC you're currently using If you start Setup from a 64-bit version of Windows, you will download a 64-bit ISO, for example.) After the download begins, close Setup.

Now, return to that Upgrade Windows with only a product key page. This time, click the light blue Install Windows 8.1 button. Windows Setup will run, as before, but you won't be prompted for your product key. Instead, the Setup ISO will download automatically!"

Back to my words

After this locate the iso, extract it and go to sources. Copy the install.esd or .wim file, some may get one or the other, doesn't matter. Paste it to a folder like C:Windowsinstall

Open Command prompt as an admin and type this in

reagentc.exe /setosimage /path C:\Windowsinstall /target c:\Windows /Index 1

Now go to 'Update and Recovery' in Metro ( Go to PC Settings ) and either pick Refresh or Delete Everything. Normally if you upgraded from 8 - 8.1 this would say either missing files insert media or it would work but revert you to 8.0. Doing this makes it use the 8.1 install file. It will NOT ask you from a 8.1 key, it will automaticlly use the 8.0 key you were already using and should work without a hitch.

Let me know of issues.

JustinBB7

I'm working on my new computer now and the case manual says I can mount SSD drives at the back of it, but I have to do it before I put in the motherboard.

Do they mean seriously just screw the SSD into the inner panel? Without any special brackets?

It's with the Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl

Edit: found this picture so I guess I should do that then.
22.jpg

Crisco

Banned
I'm working on my new computer now and the case manual says I can mount SSD drives at the back of it, but I have to do it before I put in the motherboard.

Do they mean seriously just screw the SSD into the inner panel? Without any special brackets?

It's with the Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl

Edit: found this picture so I guess I should do that then.

Yeah dude, they are nothing but large capacity flash drives. The same shit you carry around on your keychain. You can get some double sided tape and stick them basically anywhere you want that's out of the way.

AcridMeat

Banned
There's some savings on windows 8.1 on newegg. Decided I'll jump on it and learn to live/deal with the changes. If I made it this long using crappy vista I can handle some bad UI decisions for the sake of speed.

DTKT

Whoa.

Fresh up from a new Windows install after a corrupted drive and my i5-750 overclock seems to have disappeared. I thought it was safe being in the BIOS.

saelz8

Selling a 280X if any of you guys are interested. Thought I'd offer it here before Amazon or Ebay. Used for about 2 Weeks. Practically Mint Condition.

Fvh7nnSl.jpg

Asus Model. $309. Shipped. (Yes, its full price, but it's sold out online and I'm paying shipping)

shira

Selling a 280X if any of you guys are interested. Thought I'd offer it here before Amazon or Ebay. Used for about 2 Weeks. Practically Mint Condition.

Fvh7nnSl.jpg

Asus Model. $309. Shipped. (Yes, its full price, but it's sold out online and I'm paying shipping)

does it run 120Hz on Windows desktop and games@1080p??

Yeah dude, they are nothing but large capacity flash drives. The same shit you carry around on your keychain. You can get some double sided tape and stick them basically anywhere you want that's out of the way.

Same reason why it is kinda ridiculous that Corsair wasted money on making special SSD mounts for the 350D, but didn't include an air filter for the top of the case. Yeah, I'm still bitter.

Guess the good news is that the Arc Mini R2 is up on several sites now, so time to look into building again.

Xone9

Banned
just went to microcenter and bought the 4770k bundle with a MSI motherboard (saved about $100 over newegg)..

then bought a 4gb gtx 770 and an intel watercooling heatsink....

IM READY TO ROLL NOW!

its been 5 years since my last pc

scottzorus

Neo Member
nvidia card prices are fluctuating like crazy on amazon.

evga 780 superclocked is now about 495 vs the 530 or so of a few days ago.

Is this one of the better 3rd party 780's?
Thinking of picking up a 780 but not sure which brand to go with (which has best cooling/overclockability)

Spazo

Fvh7nnSl.jpg

Why you sell it ? its a good card

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Does the 2500k bottleneck any GPU out there at the moment?

I've been pondering a full system upgrade (2500k/6970 at the moment) but the more i think about it the more i might just go with a gpu and display upgrade. 24 to 27" maybe (i still cant figure out what i want)

I've been pondering a full system upgrade (2500k/6970 at the moment) but the more i think about it the more i might just go with a gpu and display upgrade. 24 to 27" maybe (i still cant figure out what i want)

Not worth it for gaming, if you're worried about it just buy an aftermarket CPU cooler (if you don't already have one) and OC it.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Just overclock, no point in upgrading

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Not worth it for gaming, if you're worried about it just buy an aftermarket CPU cooler (if you don't already have one) and OC it.

Just overclock, no point in upgrading

Yea I already have a Noctua NH-D14 on it and have for ages. No issues with overclocking, I just haven't done it since i grabbed a new mobo after my previous one died. The CPU cooler is fucking massive though, So i'm tempted to switch to a WC solution for more case space.

Will focus on other parts then in the coming months. Thanks guys.

scottzorus

Neo Member
This build will be mostly for gaming in 1920x1080 @ 60fps
Parts already for this build:
Fractal Define R4
EVGA GTX 780 Superclocked w/ACX cooler

Not really sure on some of the parts below, in particular RAM and PSU, if they're all good with what I'm looking for. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($169.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Cooler Master V700 700W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($119.99 @ Microcenter)
Total: $909.94
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-01 18:16 EDT-0400)

Shipping in the US

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
That moment of panic when I forgot to save my bookmarks, only to have them all filled in after a couple of seconds, together with all my addons and settings. Privacy be damned, take all my info Google. You're better with it than I am.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So I couldn't wait and just ordered a 144hz asus monitor. Is the gsync adaptor released yet?

saelz8

Why you sell it ? its a good card
It's a great card, but I have a 780 coming in. :p Newegg has the EVGA Superclocked 780 for only 84 above the 4GB 770. I had to bite, while the offer was still there.

Gonna sell the bundle games as well, and lower the price even more.

I haven't been on Green since 8800GT.

Jessicat

Hi all, I'm back again ^^; Looking for help piecing together a computer [well, just the tower and a mouse, I think I can survive with my other old parts since they still work].

Basic Desktop Questions
Your Current Specs: Dead, was an old Dell 1440 Dimension or something [never geting that crap again]
Budget: $1,000; Canada
Main Use - Rate 1-5, 5 being highest:

Light Gaming - 4
Gaming - 4
Emulation (PS2/Wii) - 3
Video Editing - 0
Streaming games in HD - 1
3D/Model work (and what program) - 2 [not sure what's relevant nowadays, last I used was 3D Studio Max ^^;]
General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) - 5
Monitor Resolution: I have my old monitor and a TV I can use as a monitor; don't need a new one [I think max res. is 1200x1600 on the monitor, not sure on the TV, haven't used it].
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well:
My last computer was [obviously] not for gaming, so I couldn't do much on it [it crashed trying to load Viva PInata LOL]. MS Office programs, general browsing without lag, PS/PS2 emulation, possibly MMOs now that playing in realtime can be a thing XD Also possibly some 3D modeling and graphics [PSCS2, etc] software.
Looking to reuse any parts?:
No parts, need to redo the whole tower as it's beyond dead. Speakers, monitor(s), and keyboard are all I have to reuse.
When will you build?: ASAP, my old one is dead and my phone doesn't cut it lol
Will you be overclocking?: Maybe?
I'm not exactly too savvy with the parts and building of computers though ^^; Ideally I'd like something that's upgradeable or at least salvageable for future computer tower iterations, lol. I had my terrible Dell for so long I'm not sure anything other than the monitor is still relevant [unless VGA isn't a thing anymore...then I have a small HD TV that works as a monitor]. I've heard an SSD for the OS and HDD for everything else works well. Having a bunch of USB ports in the front of the tower and a blu-ray reading drive is about all else I'd be wanting to add. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

This will be the first computer I've built in the last 12 years, I've just owned crappy laptops and consoles through that time. Needless to say, the industry is overwhelming these days, and I feel like I've got so much re-learning to do. This thread is a god send though!
So I just want to be able to play any game at 1080p high/max settings if possible, as this will basically be just be used for games. I'm starting from nothing.
Can someone have a quick look and see where I can tweak this build? The CPU is about the only thing I'm remotely sure about.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($225.00 @ Canada Computers)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($185.00 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($73.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($180.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($320.35 @ TigerDirect Canada)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($54.88 @ Canada Computers)
Monitor: Acer V243HAJbd 24.0" Monitor ($166.50 @ Vuugo)
Total: $1316.68
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-01 20:34 EDT-0400)

adg1034

This will be the first computer I've built in the last 12 years, I've just owned crappy laptops and consoles through that time. Needless to say, the industry is overwhelming these days, and I feel like I've got so much re-learning to do. This thread is a god send though!
So I just want to be able to play any game at 1080p high/max settings if possible, as this will basically be just be used for games. I'm starting from nothing.
Can someone have a quick look and see where I can tweak this build? The CPU is about the only thing I'm remotely sure about.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($225.00 @ Canada Computers)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($185.00 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($73.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($180.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($320.35 @ TigerDirect Canada)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($54.88 @ Canada Computers)
Monitor: Acer V243HAJbd 24.0" Monitor ($166.50 @ Vuugo)
Total: $1316.68
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-01 20:34 EDT-0400)

Things look relatively good.

A couple of things, though: first, the Fractal Design Define XL R2 is on sale for $10 less than the R4. Second, if you ever want to even try to overclock your CPU (and at some point, you do), you want to spend the extra $12 or so for the 4670k instead.

I'll presume then you're not on Premiere CC? If so then Nvidia is the way to go for your GPU. This a rough idea based on the parts you've chosen. Bumped the cooler up to an H80 as the difference was just over a tenner. Overclocking is very easy btw, you'll be able to get your 4770K up to 4.2GHz or so easily enough, and you'll get a 25-30% performance bump. Well worth doing

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£233.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£74.03 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus GRYPHON Z87 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£114.28 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£114.25 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£63.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£47.98 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card (£199.24 @ CCL Computers)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter (£25.98 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Silverstone SST-GD04B-USB3.0 (Black) HTPC Case (Purchased For £111.89)
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDC-207DBK Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer (£42.26 @ CCL Computers)
Other: OCZ OCZ-ZS750W-UK ZS Series 750W 80+ Bronze PSU with 135mm Fan & single +12V Rail (Purchased For £64.99)
Total: £1092.88
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-30 23:41 GMT+0000)

You could just go for broke and get the best card Nvidia does (bar the Titan)

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£233.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£74.03 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus GRYPHON Z87 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£114.28 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£114.25 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£63.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£47.98 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (£399.98 @ Aria PC)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter (£25.98 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Silverstone SST-GD04B-USB3.0 (Black) HTPC Case (Purchased For £111.89)
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDC-207DBK Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer (£42.26 @ CCL Computers)
Other: OCZ OCZ-ZS750W-UK ZS Series 750W 80+ Bronze PSU with 135mm Fan & single +12V Rail (Purchased For £64.99)
Total: £1293.62
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-30 23:43 GMT+0000)

@kharma45 or any one else, ive been talking with a good friend and he agrees with this set up, except he strongly recommended the Asus Z87a over the Gryphon.

His main arguement was because I was buying the Sliverstone SST-GD08 Not the SST-GDO4, I would have a lot more room and could put in a larger board, which in turn allow my parts to run cooler. He also said id have more room for expansion, id get better bios support and would have a eaiser time building my system in general.

He also said the thermal guard on the gryphon is a con and could as much hinder my system as help it.

Is it also true I could use my 27" imac (2012 model) as a display with this mobo?

Im just throwning this out to get some more feedback, what do you guys think?

kennah

Your friend is worrying over nothing. Size of board has nothing to do with thermal control. The shell on the griffon doesn't help or hinder. Look at any Sabertooth tests.

As for expansion - this isn't 15 years ago when everything was on separate cards or 10 years ago when onboard stuff was shit and you needed to supplement. Onboard stuff is for the most part good enough for most everyone's needs and the only reason anyone needs a board bigger than microatx is if they want to do BOTH SLI and a sound card at the same time. (Anyone being gaming use. Professional is a whole different matter of course).

Edit. To use your imac as a monitor you would need a video card that has a MiniDisplay Port (like a MacBook has). That 780 only has a DisplayPort (which won't work)

Zomba13

OK so my RAM arrived today, 16GB (2x8) Patriot Viper. Plugged em in and kept getting BSOD Memory Management issue. Run 1 pass of memtest86 and windows 7 memory checker and it said both were fine. Plugged my old RAM back in, worked fine, Plugged just one of the new stick in, BSOD. Plugged just the other one in, seems to be fine. Looks like one of the sticks is defective. I've sent a thing off on Amazon to see what they'll do next. I mean, 8GB is fine but I wanted 16GB so it'd be one thing that should last me a long ass time.

It's fine to run with just 1 stick of RAM right? Like, it won't break something?
Also, Sometimes my system won't boot from the SSD. Like, sometimes after turning it on it's not even in the list of bootable drives. I saw I should upgrade the firmware but from what I can see it's already on the latest version. It's a OCZ Agility 2 180GB which I've heard aren't very good but it was a good price and my Dad has two and they've been fine for him. Is there anything I can do or will I just need to fiddle about every time I turn the machine on?

Once booted it runs fine btw.

Your friend is worrying over nothing. Size of board has nothing to do with thermal control. The shell on the griffon doesn't help or hinder. Look at any Sabertooth tests.

As for expansion - this isn't 15 years ago when everything was on separate cards or 10 years ago when onboard stuff was shit and you needed to supplement. Onboard stuff is for the most part good enough for most everyone's needs and the only reason anyone needs a board bigger than microatx is if they want to do BOTH SLI and a sound card at the same time. (Anyone being gaming use. Professional is a whole different matter of course).

Edit. To use your imac as a monitor you would need a video card that has a MiniDisplay Port (like a MacBook has). That 780 only has a DisplayPort (which won't work)

Thanks. It did strike me a bit odd tbh. I may still get the z87a cus its a tenner cheaper, but its good to know im not missing out if i go mATX.

bigace33

Ok just installed a gtx 760 in my comp. It displays just fine but the fan is not spinning at all. The card is idling at 56c right now. I've tride everything and the stupid fan does not work. 8^(

clem84

Gold Member
Can anyone recommend an SSD in the 128GB range? There are so many of them. Are any brans generally more reliable then others? Or perform better then others in general? I'm looking for the best bang for my buck here in the 128GB range. Thanks.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hi all, I'm back again ^^; Looking for help piecing together a computer [well, just the tower and a mouse, I think I can survive with my other old parts since they still work].

I'm not exactly too savvy with the parts and building of computers though ^^; Ideally I'd like something that's upgradeable or at least salvageable for future computer tower iterations, lol. I had my terrible Dell for so long I'm not sure anything other than the monitor is still relevant [unless VGA isn't a thing anymore...then I have a small HD TV that works as a monitor]. I've heard an SSD for the OS and HDD for everything else works well. Having a bunch of USB ports in the front of the tower and a blu-ray reading drive is about all else I'd be wanting to add. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Excellent Build in the OP with a 7950 3GB or 760 2GB. Take a look at the cases in the OP and see what you like.
If the $1000 is a hard limit, drop the mobo down a model and use the stock heatsink for now, but I'd try to keep the GPU as the above.
So I couldn't wait and just ordered a 144hz asus monitor. Is the gsync adaptor released yet?
Don't believe so. Enjoy!
i was looking at the list of 1440p monitors, is the viewsonic worth it because this is what i see in newegg:ViewSonic VP2770-LED Black 27? also i have a gtx 580 would i need to upgrade my video card to run at high settings on most new games?
That seems a bit expensive, I'd rather go for one of the Korean perfect pixel 1440p panels that can overclock to 85Hz+ for ~$500.
It's fine to run with just 1 stick of RAM right? Like, it won't break something?
Also, Sometimes my system won't boot from the SSD. Like, sometimes after turning it on it's not even in the list of bootable drives. I saw I should upgrade the firmware but from what I can see it's already on the latest version. It's a OCZ Agility 2 180GB which I've heard aren't very good but it was a good price and my Dad has two and they've been fine for him. Is there anything I can do or will I just need to fiddle about every time I turn the machine on?

Once booted it runs fine btw.
Personally I'd close that SSD to another, at least make an image backup of it. Any chance it's on one of the first revision bad SATA 2.0 ports from a Z77 board? Might be good to swap cables and what port it's on.
1 is fine, you just have single channel speed over double (not a big deal).
Ok just installed a gtx 760 in my comp. It displays just fine but the fan is not spinning at all. The card is idling at 56c right now. I've tride everything and the stupid fan does not work. 8^(
Call up the manf. ask if you can take the cover off and check the fan connection. Otherwise RMA or aftermarket cooler it.
Can anyone recommend an SSD in the 128GB range? There are so many of them. Are any brans generally more reliable then others? Or perform better then others in general? I'm looking for the best bang for my buck here in the 128GB range. Thanks.
840 EVO. Reliable, very quick, cheap, good controller. The V300 can be found for $10 cheaper but it's not worth it.

Zomba13

Personally I'd close that SSD to another, at least make an image backup of it. Any chance it's on one of the first revision bad SATA 2.0 ports from a Z77 board? Might be good to swap cables and what port it's on.
1 is fine, you just have single channel speed over double (not a big deal).

Already swapped the cable. First cable made my BSOD after a few minutes every time (no clue how Win7 finished it's full install correctly) but after I swapped the cable with a spare it's been fine when windows has booted. I'll probably see about a replacement or a refund. Might order a new one, clone the files over and then return the OCZ Agility 2.

Question. I had to RMA my SSD so in the meantime I installed windows to hdd until I get a replacement. Is there an easy way to migrate my games over once I reinstall windows on ssd? don't want to download all my games again! lol

Question. I had to RMA my SSD so in the meantime I installed windows to hdd until I get a replacement. Is there an easy way to migrate my games over once I reinstall windows on ssd? don't want to download all my games again! lol

If you are talking about steam games, I think that if you copy the Steam folder to an external HDD and place them later on and Steam does not redownload everything.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129

I do not know if you want your save files too.

Reckoner

Based on a recent discussion here I changed the fan placement in my case. The extract fan remains on the rear part, but the front fan now is on the side. It is too early to say, but, even though now I can ear the fan more easily, it was 30ºC idle and now it is between 27-28ºC. I think I'll get a top fan extracting and start trying to OC my CPU.

well guys, I'm thinking in "upgrading" my pc rig. .

cpu Intel 2500k @ 4,2Ghz
4GB (2x2GB) ram DDR3 1600
Noctua NH-U12P
AMD ATI 7950 (OC'ed @ 1150/1500)
Asrock Z60 Pro3
Sandisk Extreme 256GB SDD

I know an upgrade isn't much neccessary, but I'm thinking at least in upgrading the ram memory by replacing the current modules for 8gb (2x4gb) DDR3 2133, and replacing my old Noctua cooler for a better one, but I'm still not sure about the right cooler, is the Corsair H80i worth it? any suggestion to keep my 2500k @ 4,2Ghz while running cool?

JustinBB7

Spend all night building my new computer. Tried booting it up and first I hear a really loud buzzing. The front fan of my case is doing this, I dunno if that's normal with this case but damn.

Anyway I get an error. Fatal error: 1 or more table pointers are invalid. Then I got a BSOD and it rebooted. I looked up on google what it is but need to use the windows install DVD to fix it. But the new motherboard I have doesn't support my DVD player... so what can I do now? I'm getting really frustrated here. I can enter the bios.

And it seems the people that have this error don't get the BSOD after it.

I tested without my new SSD drive and it still happens with my other HDD drives too.

clem84

Gold Member
I'm building a general purpose PC (word processing, web surfing, 1080p videos, no gaming) for my mom. I want this thing to boot fast and to just be fast all around so I've decided to go for a i7-4770 CPU but am unsure about the mobo and RAM. I've read a few benchmarks and was led to believe that 1866MHZ RAM performs noticeably better compared to 1600 but I have also read elsewhere that the difference in performance between the two is not worth the price. Does anyone know? Also what would be a good board for this CPU and RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom