• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
so my imac died again, and this time I won't bother to fix it. I made this build trying to save wherever possible
Kingston SSDNow V300, Kit SSD Interno 120 GB, SATA III - Kingston
EUR 88,43

Cooler Master N200 - Cooler Master
EUR 42,47

Sapphire 11199-16-20G Scheda video - SAPPHIRE
EUR 165,38

XFX ProSeries 450W Core Edition V2 Full Wired - XFX
EUR 47,00

Ballistix Sport 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3 1600MHz CL9 1.5V UDIMM - Crucial
EUR 69,95

Asrock B75M R2.0 Scheda Madre - Asrock
EUR 59,69

Intel I53350P CPU Intel Core i5-3350P, 6 MB Cache, 3.30 GHz
EUR 162,35

total: 635,27EUR all from amazon.it

sorry for the messy formatting, I'm posting from my wii u. I have my 500GB HDD from the imac, so I thought an ssd would be a good investment. Anything standing out? Note that overclocking would mean spending at least 70€ more.

I promise this is the last time I'm bothering you guys for tips for a build ;_;

Varna

Anyone have any recommendations for a good PC speaker set? I'm using some cheap Logitech's at the moment and I'm interested in something better. I'm stuck using my onboard sound because Rocksmith 2014 doesn't play well with pci-e cards... would that effect the sound quality of a decent set drastically? MB uses the Realtek ALC892.

Currently using Logitech Z313.

LordAlu

so my imac died again, and this time I won't bother to fix it. I made this build trying to save wherever possible
Kingston SSDNow V300, Kit SSD Interno 120 GB, SATA III - Kingston
EUR 88,43

Cooler Master N200 - Cooler Master
EUR 42,47

Sapphire 11199-16-20G Scheda video - SAPPHIRE
EUR 165,38

XFX ProSeries 450W Core Edition V2 Full Wired - XFX
EUR 47,00

Ballistix Sport 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3 1600MHz CL9 1.5V UDIMM - Crucial
EUR 69,95

Asrock B75M R2.0 Scheda Madre - Asrock
EUR 59,69

Intel I53350P CPU Intel Core i5-3350P, 6 MB Cache, 3.30 GHz
EUR 162,35

total: 635,27EUR all from amazon.it

sorry for the messy formatting, I'm posting from my wii u. I have my 500GB HDD from the imac, so I thought an ssd would be a good investment. Anything standing out? Note that overclocking would mean spending at least 70€ more.

I promise this is the last time I'm bothering you guys for tips for a build ;_;
Seems good to me. You could change the SSD to a Samsung EVO for less money and better performance. Haswell wouldn't cost you too much more either although you still wouldn't be going for overclocking with it. That would end up looking like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4430 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (€164.58 @ Amazon Italia)
Motherboard: Asus B85M-G Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (€70.32 @ Amazon Italia)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (€69.00 @ Amazon Italia)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (€79.99 @ Amazon Italia)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card (€165.38 @ Amazon Italia)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case (€47.16 @ Amazon Italia)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (€47.00 @ Amazon Italia)
Total: €643.43
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-09 22:33 CET+0100)

But really what you've got ain't bad at all! :)

TheBear

My system is now four years old and still going ok, aside from some noise issues.
I was planning on doing a brand new build but due to budget constraints I am considering doing an upgrade.
I obviously want more power for gaming, but i also want the machine to be quieter. What would you guys recommend? I was thinking about just throwing in a 290 and use it in a build later

My system:

AMD 955 Phenom
4GB ram
GTX 560Ti
Gigabyte MA790Gp Motherboard
Seasonic M12 80plus 500Watt. PSU

Anyone? :)
Will it be bottlenecked or something?

kennah

Anyone? :)
Will it be bottlenecked or something?

Bottlenecks are a myth. Games that take advantage of a video card will always take advantage of a video card. Games that take advantage of CPU will always take advantage of a CPU. The only bottleneck is your wallet.

That said, your rig will be unbalanced, but a 290 will easily transfer over to a better build.

TheBear

Bottlenecks are a myth. Games that take advantage of a video card will always take advantage of a video card. Games that take advantage of CPU will always take advantage of a CPU. The only bottleneck is your wallet.

That said, your rig will be unbalanced, but a 290 will easily transfer over to a better build.

Ok thanks for that. At the moment I'm playing BF4 and it's struggling. Would a 290 make a huge difference?

I have a gtx 770 already and it runs everything I want maxed but do you think I should sli it considering the prices for it are pretty good now? Keep in mind I plan to upgrade the gpu next year and I only have one monitor at 1080p

kennah

I have a gtx 770 already and it runs everything I want maxed but do you think I should sli it considering the prices for it are pretty good now? Keep in mind I plan to upgrade the gpu next year and I only have one monitor at 1080p

Then don't bother. Prices will get lower later. You should only SLI if you aren't getting acceptable performance with a single card.

Addnan

Do you want more? SLI 770 performs great, but if you don't need it what's the point. Especially since you plan to upgrade next year a way.

Then don't bother. Prices will get lower later. You should only SLI if you aren't getting acceptable performance with a single card.

Do you want more? SLI 770 performs great, but if you don't need it what's the point. Especially since you plan to upgrade next year a way.

Thanks guys, only asking because im getting that itch to do it because of the prices its at currently lol

Will just wait for next years cards.

Jijidasu

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask but I'll try regardless!

I'm returning home to Japan in January after a year or so in Australia and I'd like to take my PC with me. I'm thinking of leaving my case, PSU and monitor here, but all the other components will come with me.

Has anyone got any experience taking PC parts abroad? Are there any precautions I should take?

I have a couple anti-static bags (one for my GTX780 and another smaller one that I'll throw my ram and sound card in). As for motherboard I do not have a big anti-static bag but I do have a heavy duty tarp-like material bag that I was thinking of wrapping it in. I use an old Noctua D14 cooler and it's a pain to take off but I don't see much choice.

If perhaps I can't wrap all my components in anti-static bags how can I discharge the static? I have an anti-static wrist strap I bought when building the system, would I use that?

Sorry for the large amount of questions, I'm not exactly confident with all of this!

kennah

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask but I'll try regardless!

I'm returning home to Japan in January after a year or so in Australia and I'd like to take my PC with me. I'm thinking of leaving my case, PSU and monitor here, but all the other components will come with me.

Has anyone got any experience taking PC parts abroad? Are there any precautions I should take?

I have a couple anti-static bags (one for my GTX780 and another smaller one that I'll throw my ram and sound card in). As for motherboard I do not have a big anti-static bag but I do have a heavy duty tarp-like material bag that I was thinking of wrapping it in. I use an old Noctua D14 cooler and it's a pain to take off but I don't see much choice.

If perhaps I can't wrap all my components in anti-static bags how can I discharge the static? I have an anti-static wrist strap I bought when building the system, would I use that?

Sorry for the large amount of questions, I'm not exactly confident with all of this!

It would be safer and easier to bring it all in a case I'd think... I also wouldn't feel comfortable transporting a motherboard not in a antistat bag. The point of the bag isn't to discharge static, but to prevent it from accumulating. So even if you discharge before transport, it could still build up afterwards. A small computer shop should have a spare bag or two they could give you.

tarheel91

Depends on how you look at it. There's going to be a CPU load and a GPU load for any given game, and each will have its own time needed to complete whatever needs to be done for that frame. If the CPU takes longer, it's your bottleneck. If the GPU takes longer, it's your bottleneck. Lots of times, if your CPU is the bottleneck, but is still providing an acceptable framerate, you can just turn up the graphics to the point where they're both around the same framerate, but there's only so far you can go. Obviously, different games will have different requirements, but a Phenom is going to hold back a 290 on pretty much anything, and anything even remotely CPU demanding is going to provide pretty disappointing framerates given the money spent on a 290.

kennah

Depends on how you look at it. There's going to be a CPU load and a GPU load for any given game, and each will have its own time needed to complete whatever needs to be done for that frame. If the CPU takes longer, it's your bottleneck. If the GPU takes longer, it's your bottleneck. Lots of times, if your CPU is the bottleneck, but is still providing an acceptable framerate, you can just turn up the graphics to the point where they're both around the same framerate, but there's only so far you can go. Obviously, different games will have different requirements, but a Phenom is going to hold back a 290 on pretty much anything, and anything even remotely CPU demanding is going to provide pretty disappointing framerates given the money spent on a 290.

Yes, but there will still be increases over what he has now. I stuck a 670 in my C2Q and while I was still physics and CPU limited, I saw decent increases over the 6850 it replaced across the board for all my games.

Let's say I have a budget of $500. Should I spend it all on the GPU or split it between the CPU and GPU?

Save up longer I guess? New CPU would need a motherboard upgrade unless you're just sticking whatever AMD chip will fit in your board.

I personally wouldn't ever drop $500 on a video card (though 780s are pretty tempting)

RoKKeR

So this is going to be difficult to do but I need a little trouble shooting. I'm away from home and my PC and my brother is trying to play Battlefield 4. Performance is, frankly, shit, and it's frustrating that I can't be there to help him figure out what the problem is. He just isn't in the know about most PC stuff but he still enjoys to game on it every once in a while.

Win 8.1, latest Nvidia drivers and he says it almost never touches 60fps and is all around stuttery and gross to play. Of course it looks good but playing it is a different story.

770 4GB
i5 2500k @ stock (previously OC'd, didn't work, feel like it's fucked up somehow)
8GB DDR3

Any thoughts on where to start when looking at performance issues like this? Thanks.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
So this is going to be difficult to do but I need a little trouble shooting. I'm away from home and my PC and my brother is trying to play Battlefield 4. Performance is, frankly, shit, and it's frustrating that I can't be there to help him figure out what the problem is. He just isn't in the know about most PC stuff but he still enjoys to game on it every once in a while.

Win 8.1, latest Nvidia drivers and he says it almost never touches 60fps and is all around stuttery and gross to play. Of course it looks good but playing it is a different story.

770 4GB
i5 2500k @ stock (previously OC'd, didn't work, feel like it's fucked up somehow)
8GB DDR3

Any thoughts on where to start when looking at performance issues like this? Thanks.

Check the temps?

The time has finally come! After keeping the same PC since college a few years back, I get to upgrade again! Here is what I'm rocking now (that I can remeber):

Motherboard: MSI G33M
CPU: Intel Q6600
GPU: Radeon HD 4870 that I upgraded a year ago to Radeon HD 6870
RAM: 4 GB of 800 MHZ DDR2
Harddrive: Some random 500 GB Western Digital 7200 RPM

All I know is I can't wait to get up to the new CPUs and out of DDR2 to DDR3. I'm not in the mood to customize too much though, so I'm pretty much just going to go off of one of the builds in the OP. My only real question: is Haswell worth the extra money or just stick with Ivy Bridge?

Tablo

The time has finally come! After keeping the same PC since college a few years back, I get to upgrade again! Here is what I'm rocking now (that I can remeber):

All I know is I can't wait to get up to the new CPUs and out of DDR2 to DDR3. I'm not in the mood to customize too much though, so I'm pretty much just going to go off of one of the builds in the OP. My only real question: is Haswell worth the extra money or just stick with Ivy Bridge?

Haswell, not even a question, get the newer tech.

LordAlu

Go with Haswell. You could even go with it on the Budget and Standard builds too:

Motherboard: Asus B85M-G Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($77.99 @ Amazon) with either

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Got another BSoD Code: 124 tonight. I updated the BIOS and didn't get one for 4 days straight so I thought that fixed it...guess not. Just did memtest on both my sticks of RAM and got no errors. So I don't know, maybe I'll just coexist with it.

golem

So with the new 780 I bought has coil whine. It was fairly loud about it at first, but it seemed to have died down over the week. But it's now making a very high frequency noise all the time. It's giving me a headache.

Ugh, does it get any better? Any way to make it stop?

Here's the PSU I use: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064XAIXQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20
RMA it. Coil whine is usually out of spec, so it should be covered under warranty

Ban Puncher

Considering cheaping out on the video card with a 760 2GB instead of a 770 4GB and waiting to see what the inevitable 8-series brings next year.

Mock if dumb.

Xyber

Ugh, I changed the location of my Temp folder and now I can't login to Skype and Steam refuses to launch. Had to change it back for it to start working again. I restarted the PC after I changed it, shouldn't it just work after that? I'd like to have it on another HDD as my SSD is starting to get a little full.

Hey guys just wanted some GPU advice. I currently have a 6850 and am thinking about upgrading to a MSI 7970 TF since it seems that 1 GB of VRAM isn't going to cut it for next gen. I can get the 7970 at a decent price (at least relative to where I'm from) so that's also swaying me to get it.

I know it's hard to tell with these things but approximately how long do you guys think a 7970 would last me in terms of being able to play games at medium/high settings? I'm hoping around 3-4 years, at which point I'd hopefully upgrade to a 20nm GPU. Please tell me if these expectations are unrealistic.

Regarding other specs of my comp I have a FX 8350, 8gb Ram.

Sanjay

sp3ctr3

I'm so frustrated right now as I've been battling this hunk of crap all day!!

I have a Lenovo thinkcentre M90 (desktop) that I use in my living room. It's nice and quiet and gets most jobs done. I went and bought The Typing of the Dead 4 on Steam and got some framerate issues. I then decided to look into buying a minor upgrade for it.

CPU: Intel i3 2,94ghz
RAM: 4gb ddr3
PSU: 280w psu
HDD: 300gb sata
GPU: Quadro fx380

I found a Zotac GT630 for cheap (new) and saw that it was 3-4 times better than the fx380, so I bought that and installed it.

Now, if the computer sits idle for a few seconds and I touch the mouse it results in a black screen and the message that the drivers stopped responding. I had this problem this summer when I updated the graphics drivers for the fx380 and eventually returned to the older drivers to get rid of the problem.

Now, I wont stand for it anymore. I WANT this damn new card to work properly and this is what I did.

BTW, I'm using Windows 7 x64

1. booted into safe mode
2. ran Display Driver Uninstaller I downloaded from Guru3D
3. booted normally without an internet connection to stop windows from finding a driver
4. installed the newest driver from nvidia.com that should work with my GT630

Still have the same problem. Whenever it sits idle for more than 30seconds and I touch the mouse or keyboard it gives me a black screen for a second, returns with the message:

display driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered

I did the above several times with all kinds of drivers, old to new, and nothing works.

The FX380 had a max power consumption of 28w and the GT630 has a max power consuption of 25w, so the PSU should be ok?

Anyone have some ideas I can try out?

Tablo

Hey guys just wanted some GPU advice. I currently have a 6850 and am thinking about upgrading to a MSI 7970 TF since it seems that 1 GB of VRAM isn't going to cut it for next gen. I can get the 7970 at a decent price (at least relative to where I'm from) so that's also swaying me to get it.

I know it's hard to tell with these things but approximately how long do you guys think a 7970 would last me in terms of being able to play games at medium/high settings? I'm hoping around 3-4 years, at which point I'd hopefully upgrade to a 20nm GPU. Please tell me if these expectations are unrealistic.

Regarding other specs of my comp I have a FX 8350, 8gb Ram.

At that point we'll be at 16/14nm so if you wait and hold out for Nvidia Volta or something with stacked DRAM on the GPU, you're good. Though you might feel the hurt from lack of unified memory that Maxwell is going to bring early or late next year, since you would be buying into a 2 year old architecture. Just a heads up :)

LordAlu

I'm so frustrated right now as I've been battling this hunk of crap all day!!

I have a Lenovo thinkcentre M90 (desktop) that I use in my living room. It's nice and quiet and gets most jobs done. I went and bought The Typing of the Dead 4 on Steam and got some framerate issues. I then decided to look into buying a minor upgrade for it.

CPU: Intel i3 2,94ghz
RAM: 4gb ddr3
PSU: 280w psu
HDD: 300gb sata
GPU: Quadro fx380

I found a Zotac GT630 for cheap (new) and saw that it was 3-4 times better than the fx380, so I bought that and installed it.

Now, if the computer sits idle for a few seconds and I touch the mouse it results in a black screen and the message that the drivers stopped responding. I had this problem this summer when I updated the graphics drivers for the fx380 and eventually returned to the older drivers to get rid of the problem.

Now, I wont stand for it anymore. I WANT this damn new card to work properly and this is what I did.

BTW, I'm using Windows 7 x64

1. booted into safe mode
2. ran Display Driver Uninstaller I downloaded from Guru3D
3. booted normally without an internet connection to stop windows from finding a driver
4. installed the newest driver from nvidia.com that should work with my GT630

Still have the same problem. Whenever it sits idle for more than 30seconds and I touch the mouse or keyboard it gives me a black screen for a second, returns with the message:

display driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered

I did the above several times with all kinds of drivers, old to new, and nothing works.

The FX380 had a max power consumption of 28w and the GT630 has a max power consuption of 25w, so the PSU should be ok?

Anyone have some ideas I can try out?
Complete Windows reinstall from scratch? There might be something in the current installation that is messing with it.

nbthedude

Complete Windows reinstall from scratch? There might be something in the current installation that is messing with it.

Before he tried that I woudl personally try:

-looking for a motherboard BIOS update and installing it

-resetting CMOS if that doesn't work.

Those are two relatively quick things to try.

Sanjay

I'm looking at a 780 too and was thinking of getting this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121779

Any advice?

No get the GeForce GTX 780 LIGHTNING

Read the Introduction and Specs.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013..._780_lightning_video_card_review#.Un_Oc_k4UfY

$514.99 after rebate, so your paying only $15 more then the normal price for the best GTX 780 card available as of now.

What a beauty.
1379389230TCG7Rpb3G3_1_3_l.jpg

im not waiting for g-sync

1) they will be so expensive
2) im not buying a 780 to not run at 1080p

that being said..should i just get that cheaper asus monitor?

How does waiting for a G-sync monitor = not getting a 1080p resolution?

Your confused take a nap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom