• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My current rig, built during the summer of 2011:

CPU: i5 2500k
GPU: 560Ti
RAM: 8Gb
Mobo: An Asus P67 one, if I recall correctly.
HDD: Generic 1Tb drive

I'm looking to prolong it's life for a while, and I take it my best bet is to replace the GPU for now? I'm planning on replacing the stock cooler on the CPU and OC'ing her a fair bit. I'm at least hoping to allow to get by another year before I need to change out the CPU + Mobo.

As for the GPU, I'm looking at the 280x and the 770 (2Gb). I was considering dropping a bit more cash than I was planning on spending to pick up a 290, but the heat/noise stuff is making me reconsider. In any case, I won't be picking something up for at least a month...

Red Comet

So if I wanted to pretty much future proof my CPU for the next 2-3 years could I get away with an i7-3770K or would it be recommended to upgrade my motherboard and get a 4th gen i7?

bigkrev

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/geek-squad-certified-refurbished-envy-desktop-10gb-memory-1-5tb-hard-drive/1770325.p?id=1219064683697&skuId=1770325&st=pcmcat287600050002_categoryid$abcat0501000&cp=1&lp=10

How is this pre-built machine? Would let me get a nice monitor and still be under budget

I'm looking to prolong it's life for a while, and I take it my best bet is to replace the GPU for now? I'm planning on replacing the stock cooler on the CPU and OC'ing her a fair bit. I'm at least hoping to allow to get by another year before I need to change out the CPU + Mobo.

As for the GPU, I'm looking at the 280x and the 770 (2Gb). I was considering dropping a bit more cash than I was planning on spending to pick up a 290, but the heat/noise stuff is making me reconsider. In any case, I won't be picking something up for at least a month...

After market coolers will be on the 290 in a month.

Acrylic7

Guys, after insane setbacks I have finally saved up some cash for Black Friday. Upgrade me so that I can play some freaking games. Please.
So do I just upgrade or get a new PC altogether? I don't know what I'm doing.

Operating System- Windows Vista
System Model- Studio xps 435T/9000
Processor- Intel Core i7CPU 920@2.67GHz (8CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory- 6B

-I need this thing to run Adobe software such as Photoshop, Illustrator, and minor video editing smoothly . Plus gaming.

Jzero

Guys, after insane setbacks I have finally saved up some cash for Black Friday. Upgrade me so that I can play some freaking games. Please.

Memory- 6B

-I need this thing to run Adobe software such as Photoshop, Illustrator, and minor video editing smoothly . Plus gaming.

What's your budget?

Garteal

That's really what I'm waiting for, although in any case I'm leaning towards a 280x (or a cheap 7970 Ghz if I can find one) for financial reasons.
I've got a similar rig except that my 2500K is overclocked to 4.5GHz. You'll last a while with this CPU especially if you OC it.
I recently upgraded to a R9 280X from a 6870 and I'm very satisfied with it. I'd get the 280X (or a 7970GHz if you can find one) over the 2GB GTX770 myself since it has more memory on it and should be cheaper. Unless you specifically want a NVIDIA GPU (for specific reasons such as Shadowplay, Cuda rendering or G-Sync) go for the 280X/7970GHz.

I've got a similar rig except that my 2500K is overclocked to 4.5GHz. You'll last a while with this CPU especially if you OC it.
I recently upgraded to a R9 280X from a 6870 and I'm very satisfied with it. I'd get the 280X (or a 7970GHz if you can find one) over the 2GB GTX770 myself since it has more memory on it and should be cheaper. Unless you specifically want a NVIDIA GPU (for specific reasons such as Shadowplay, Cuda rendering or G-Sync) go for the 280X/7970GHz.

That's essentially my plan, to OC the CPU, upgrade my GPU and hopefully that'll give it some legs. The 280x seems to hit a price/performance sweetspot, so I'll probably go for either that or a 290 if budget allows for it, once the aftermarket cooler models hit.

Memory- 6B

You're gonna need a new power supply to run any newer graphics cards. Plus being a prebuilt you might not be able to change the cpu.

I want to build a PC for around $500 - $550 as my first custom built computer for everyday use and games. Im thinking about buying most of the parts on black friday/cyber monday and have a few in mind already. I would love some advice!

Thinking about:

CPU: FX-6300
GPU: Nvidia 650 ti 2gb (or would 1gb be okay? Theres only a $30 price difference)
RAM: 8gb
HD: 1tb
Dvd reader: whatever's cheapest
Power Supply: would 430w suffice?
Motherboard: no idea, need recomendations
Wifi adapter: cheapest

Thats what im thinking about :) Already have keyboard, mouse, monitor, and speakers.

So i have the following:

i7-3770k Ivy Bridge
Asus P8-Z77-V LK Mobo
16 GB of RAM
Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950

I'm thinking I really won't get much bang for my buck upgrading my GPU to a 290 or 290x.

I use this rig exclusively hooked up to my TV, if that makes any difference.

So is upgrading good for me or should i wait a year or so?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
That computer is basically brand new. Get a new GPU about a year from now and then think about upgrading seriously about another year after that.

I want to build a PC for around $500 - $550 as my first custom built computer for everyday use and games. Im thinking about buying most of the parts on black friday/cyber monday and have a few in mind already. I would love some advice!

Thinking about:

CPU: FX-6300
GPU: Nvidia 650 ti 2gb (or would 1gb be okay? Theres only a $30 price difference)
RAM: 8gb
HD: 1tb
Dvd reader: whatever's cheapest
Power Supply: would 430w suffice?
Motherboard: no idea, need recomendations
Wifi adapter: cheapest

Thats what im thinking about :) Already have keyboard, mouse, monitor, and speakers.
Oh yeah, also, would this build be comparable to ps4 specs?

dorkimoe

alright guys

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/dorkimoe/saved/2wi1

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk $122.99
Western Digital Red 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive $98.95
VisionTek Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card

i have the dvd drives, and 2 other hard drives and a case

i need to get a new monitor, only doing 1680x1050 now :(
All i wanna do is bf4/dota 2 at dat sweet 1080p..and any future game for awhile

hows the build? and is that mobo good enough for that?

Ban Puncher

Looking to build in the next couple of weeks, haven't built a new rig for myself in almost six years. Goodbye Core 2 Duo! Here's a list of what I've put together so far;

CPU - Intel Core i7 4770K
Mobo - ASUS Maximus VI Hero
RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2133Mhz
Graphics - Undecided, leaning towards a GTX 770 4GB of some sort.
SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 500GB
PSU - Corsair HX-650 V2
Case - Corsair Graphite 600T SE White
Storage - Segate 3TB ST3000DM001

Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated. A few things I am still undecided on are the graphics card, which OS to run (W7 vs W8.1), and whether it is necessary to install a CPU cooler like the CM 212 EVO if I don't plan on OC'ing.

My wallet is at your mercy, PC-GAF.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm trying to find a good LCD color calibration guide and am having a surprising stupid time of it.

Sanjay

Man its so cold, my gpu temp is 24C and cpu is 27C.

Time to winter OC :D

mm ok , might cut back then! Thanks!

Is that 280x good for bf4 @1080p

Get the R 290.

alright guys

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/dorkimoe/saved/2wi1

i have the dvd drives, and 2 other hard drives and a case

i need to get a new monitor, only doing 1680x1050 now :(
All i wanna do is bf4/dota 2 at dat sweet 1080p..and any future game for awhile

hows the build? and is that mobo good enough for that?

Change the cpu to a Intel Core i5-3570K.

The price of the build will remain the same but perform better in games.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
G-Sync seems legit. Pendelum text demo (40-60 variance and it was working in SC2 replay (vsync 30vs 55 fps though).

I am looking to buy a new PC early next year, or maybe even on xmas. What I am looking for a is a nice PC that would be enough to run new games 60FPS and something I can stash full of RAM eventually to be able to handle video edit etc. The problem is the budget, less would be more but I rather spend couple of hundreds more and be future proof for next few years. Another problem is that I don't have any components at all that I could use, outside of maybe a DVD drive, but I don't have a need for one anyway.

Would it make sense for me to buy something with 290x right now or wait for something next year? I am not in a hurry as I have a fairly competent laptop right, but a tabletop PC would be nice to have. What I am looking at, 1000 euros? 1500 euros? 2000e might be a bit too steep on my salary.The enthusiast build in the OP looks good but am I better off waiting for X amount of time (I expect that 1400 dollars = 1400 euros or more).

Sanjay

1000/1500Euros will net you a top end PC easily.

Wait till aftermarket coolers hit on the R290 series and then build your PC.

In theory you can build your PC now and run off the onboard gpu of the cpu until then. Just wait till you see a sale on items you want and pick them up.

IMACOMPUTA

My first modular PSU.
Was able to do a much better job with cable management than before. I just wish the pci-e power cables were a lot shorter. I had to wrap them around the hdd bay.
2013-11-08euj5d.jpg

Jordan

Right, made a final decision of my own choices. GAF feel free to change things and tell me what you recommend.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£165.59 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£23.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£109.99 @ Novatech)
Memory: Avexir MPOWER Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£69.90 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£70.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card (£287.99 @ Aria PC)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 ATX Mid Tower Case (£83.45 @ Dabs)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£73.86 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £885.75
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-09 11:55 GMT+0000)

Will be ordering most from Overclockers (GPU is OOS at the moment)

Azsori

My set up and timing are the exact same as yours (just a diff mobo, and probably ram speed). I did 760gtx back in August, that was a worthwhile upgrade graphics wise. All that you will need for the near future is a better card - I would either jump for the 770 now, or wait just a bit for the non reference 290.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
Hm. Installed new case fans, after one of my old ones from when I bought the case (Antec P182) started making noise, so I swapped them all out. The case is quieter, compared to before the old fan started making noise. My idle temp is up by 2 degrees C, from 31C to 33C. My load temp on the other hand, running 100% load on OCCT for ~3 minutes, is down from 64C peak to 60C. Main reason I switched however was because of the noise, and that is definitely better than before.

This is on the 4670k, on stock speed, with the Evo 212, with 4 Nexus Real Silent 120mm in the case. Previous setup had 3 Antec Tricool, but I added a fourth fan pushing in air from the front. The temps might not be all that impressive, but it's good enough for me.

dorkimoe

Man its so cold, my gpu temp is 24C and cpu is 27C.

Time to winter OC :D

Get the R 290.

Change the cpu to a Intel Core i5-3570K.

The price of the build will remain the same but perform better in games.

290 is a bunch more isn't it?

I need new psu too I think.

Jessicat

Hey, I really need help with figuring out what case to use (I know zero about this stuff x.x) see here for the ones I'm considering: http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=89056375
Also, being Canadian and all, is it worth waiting for Black Friday prices or no? Any help would be appreciated!

...And I've never assembled a computer so I'll be back once I get all the parts ordered ^^; Or is there another thread for that?

THE:MILKMAN

So my brother ordered his parts but at the last minute added a 1TB HDD and switched from the 4670K to the 4570 CPU to keep near budget.

Has he cocked things right up or will that CPU still be OK for gaming? I know and have told him he can't OC with it.

kennah

So my brother ordered his parts but at the last minute added a 1TB HDD and switched from the 4670K to the 4570 CPU to keep near budget.

Has he cocked things right up or will that CPU still be OK for gaming? I know and have told him he can't OC with it.

Yeah.... lost like 20-30% potential performance, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom