• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opiate

I'm looking to get the Silverstone FT3 mini tower, and see the GTX770 listed as the higher end GFX option. Does a 780 not fit? I'm not liking the price/performance ratios I'm seeing from 770s on Newegg/TigerDirect.

Irobot82

Does anyone have any experience modding the GPU by putting a CPU water block on it? I'm planning on trying it if I can pick up a water cooler for cheap around black friday.

LordAlu

I'm looking to get the Silverstone FT3 mini tower, and see the GTX770 listed as the higher end GFX option. Does a 780 not fit? I'm not liking the price/performance ratios I'm seeing from 770s on Newegg/TigerDirect.
You mean the FT03? Doesn't look like it - it can only support cards up to 10" (254mm) and the shortest length 780 I've seen is 10.5" (267mm). Most are 11.6" (295mm).

Irobot82

Thanks. Thought I had to replace the CPU too now with AMD announcing the new ones. Hope this one lasts me a couple of years.

Well you have an 8-core FX series chip. All of AMD future chips as far as I know are going to be APU's. I don't think they are continuing with the FX series and I don't see any APU's having 4 modules (octa-core) anytime soon. Plus multiple games now more multi-threaded so you should be fine for 5 years or so. Having said that, a few thing to note about the AM3+ boards. They are not PCIE 3.0 they are 2.0. Currently, not a big deal, down the road...maybe.

AMD is at a bit of a crossroads right now. Their APU's cannot compete with Intel on a single thread basis (how most games run). This whole HSA thing, can change the market, just like they did with 64-bit. If they can muster some power out of their APU's and have them work universally in crossfire with whatever GPU (amd probably) you put in it, we're talking game changing stuff.

;tldr In 3 years maybe more, upgrade to all new stuff.

Saty

So the Dell U2412M is the monitor to go if i'm looking for 16:10 + same price range and i shouldn't bother looking up others?

NoRéN;89542337 said:
How's the airflow? i noticed that it takes the air in through the sides of the front panel? or am I mistaken?

How about cable management?

Yes, air comes in from both sides of the front panel and the air flow seems fine. Temperatures have been fine. Cable management is no problem. Lots of room behind the motherboard plate and a lot of holes to slide them through. It was easy to work in as well.

Newline

I'm some having issues with overclocking.

So in BIOS I had clocked my CPU multiplier to x46 (4.6ghz).
I was getting that for a good 2 or 3 days, when my CPU suddenly dropped down to 3.7ghz even though the settings still remain the same (checked BIOS multiple times).

Heres a screenshot of my CPU during a 100% CPU stress test.
CGiBO1T.jpg

You can see that the necessary 1.37v required for that clock is being supplied. No idea whats going on.

My motherboard is an Asus P8P67 pro.

NoRéN

Yes, air comes in from both sides of the front panel and the air flow seems fine. Temperatures have been fine. Cable management is no problem. Lots of room behind the motherboard plate and a lot of holes to slide them through. It was easy to work in as well.

And with that I have chosen my case. Thank you for your input. Greatly appreciated.

diablo 3 stutter issue

Thanks dudes. I bought a USB 3.0 PCI card and a 64GB USB 3.0 flash drive. Planning on using 32GB for Windows ReadyBoost and the other 32GB for the Diablo III files. So I just need to copy the game directory (in Program Files x86) to the flash drive and point my launcher .exe shortcut to the flash drive files?

Does that sound like a good plan? Second best thing to installing an SSD (which I don't want to do)?

Anybody?

I just want to make sure I'm not wasting my time and money on something that won't work or won't help much.

Dawg

Gonna put it here too:

Our TV downstairs is connected to HD decoder by a powerline adapter. So the TV is plugged in the adapter and the second adapter is plugged into our router.

Now, a while ago someone on GAF told me you only need one adapter in the router if you'd like to add a second powerline.

So... now I bought a powerline for my PC and I plugged it in... but it doesn't have internet access. It says unidentified network. What could be the problem? Should I reset the router because I added a new connection?

TL;DR: TV is connected to powerline adapter and has internet, my pc doesn't. There's only one adapter plugged into the router though (same brand as TV adapter) but my pc should find its way to that plug too, no?

Dawg

That one doesn't have a button :(

edit: wait it had a super tiny button on the bottom. The adapter is in my basement though, so it's not that close to my room. They should both be blinking now though.

edit 2: didn't work. Two of the lights work, but the middle one (home network) still doesn't light up.

Ryan1080

Neo Member
Does anyone have any experience modding the GPU by putting a CPU water block on it? I'm planning on trying it if I can pick up a water cooler for cheap around black friday.

I have the Antec 620 CPU cooler mounted to a gtx 560ti. Runs about 60c in bf4. Before the mod I was at 90c so it made a big difference. Lots of info on overclock.net about this mod.

FlipJonesy

Neo Member
NoRéN;89540285 said:
Hey, everyone. Need some case advice. Trying to stick to the budget category in the OP and wanted to see if anyone has any experience with those cases.

Second Choice: NZXT Source 210 Elite

Anyone care to inform me on any of these? Other recommendations welcome. I prefer the case to be black. I also hope that it's quiet(no rattling from any plastic parts, etc).

Thanks for the help everyone.

I've got the NXZT Source 210 Elite.

Maybe it's just my case, but I've noticed some difficulty plugging headphones that have a larger jack housing into the front headphone port. I mostly use the Audio Technica M-50s, and they've got a pretty meaty connector, so they can't fit in the port. Here is a picture for reference. Iphone / Ipod size headphone connecters fit in just fine. To solve this issue I just leave a small male/female 3.5mm extension cable that I had laying around plugged into the case. Also, I've noticed some 'flex' in the front 3.5mm port while plugging in, it seems like the connector wants to push into the case, but I've noticed no movement for the year I've owned the case, it just feels a little on the cheap side. Again, with the headphone extension cable, this isn't too much of an issue for me.

Cable management is fine for me. Looking at a side view of the case, the HDD/SSD SATA cable / power cord stick out to the left (towards the rear of the case), I feel this makes cable management a little more difficult than the cases that have the connectors pointed towards the rear of the motherboard (to the right side of the case if you're looking head on). If you're someone who needs a ultra clean looking interior, this could be an issue. The area in front of my PSU is kind of messy with all the cords, but part of this is just that I could do a better job of cable management.

I have an HDD and SDD that are mounted about 1/2 way up the 8, or however many there are, 3.5 inch slots. I think the area could be neater if I moved them all the way to either the top or the bottom of the case, but it's not a big enough issue for me to take my motherboard out to have room to move the drives around.

The case fans are solid. I haven't owned any other cases, or case fans, so I can't compare it against anything, so unfortunately I can't be much help there. I just have the 120mm and 140mm fans that come with the case and they get the job done and don't seem too loud or have any amount of rattle. Airflow seems to be good. I can't measure this quantitatively, but for reference I have a 3570k with CM hyper 212 evo cooler overclocked to 4 ghz that gets to about about 50 C max, and and a XFX DD 7870 at around 67 max.

Overall, it's a solid case that I'm happy with. I've only got a few minor issues with it. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

I'd recommend going for a 4GB model if you're intending to hold on to it for a while, play at 2560x or higher, or Downsample.
I generally play at 1080p on a single monitor setup. Am I really going to see the benefits of the extra Vram? I enjoy me some AA, but I don't really want to pay $400+ for a GPU. Also not keen on switching to AMD, I'm already familiar with tweaking on Nvidia setups.

NoRéN

I've got the NXZT Source 210 Elite.

Maybe it's just my case, but I've noticed some difficulty plugging headphones that have a larger jack housing into the front headphone port. I mostly use the Audio Technica M-50s, and they've got a pretty meaty connector, so they can't fit in the port. Here is a picture for reference. Iphone / Ipod size headphone connecters fit in just fine. To solve this issue I just leave a small male/female 3.5mm extension cable that I had laying around plugged into the case. Also, I've noticed some 'flex' in the front 3.5mm port while plugging in, it seems like the connector wants to push into the case, but I've noticed no movement for the year I've owned the case, it just feels a little on the cheap side. Again, with the headphone extension cable, this isn't too much of an issue for me.
I had the same problem on my HAF 912 with my sennheiser 428 headphones. They connected fine in the back but not in the front.
Cable management is fine for me. Looking at a side view of the case, the HDD/SSD SATA cable / power cord stick out to the left (towards the rear of the case), I feel this makes cable management a little more difficult than the cases that have the connectors pointed towards the rear of the motherboard (to the right side of the case if you're looking head on). If you're someone who needs a ultra clean looking interior, this could be an issue. The area in front of my PSU is kind of messy with all the cords, but part of this is just that I could do a better job of cable management.

I have an HDD and SDD that are mounted about 1/2 way up the 8, or however many there are, 3.5 inch slots. I think the area could be neater if I moved them all the way to either the top or the bottom of the case, but it's not a big enough issue for me to take my motherboard out to have room to move the drives around.

The case fans are solid. I haven't owned any other cases, or case fans, so I can't compare it against anything, so unfortunately I can't be much help there. I just have the 120mm and 140mm fans that come with the case and they get the job done and don't seem too loud or have any amount of rattle. Airflow seems to be good. I can't measure this quantitatively, but for reference I have a 3570k with CM hyper 212 evo cooler overclocked to 4 ghz that gets to about about 50 C max, and and a XFX DD 7870 at around 67 max.

Overall, it's a solid case that I'm happy with. I've only got a few minor issues with it. Let me know if you have anymore questions.
Good info. Thank you.

TheBear

My system is now four years old and still going ok, aside from some noise issues.
I was planning on doing a brand new build but due to budget constraints I am considering doing an upgrade.
I obviously want more power for gaming, but i also want the machine to be quieter. What would you guys recommend? I was thinking about just throwing in a 290 and use it in a build later

My system:

AMD 955 Phenom
4GB ram
GTX 560Ti
Gigabyte MA790Gp Motherboard
Seasonic M12 80plus 500Watt. PSU

Thinking about just getting a 7970 for now and doing a full build later. Will I see a decent bump in graphics and framerate? (using BF4 as a benchmark)

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Are there any major reasons to not get a 280x atm? I'll be playing on a 1080p monitor/TV for the foreseeable future and a few lowered settings don't bother me so I don't need an incredibly powerful card, but my 560ti is only 1GB and I need to move on.

TheBear

Are there any major reasons to not get a 280x atm? I'll be playing on a 1080p monitor/TV for the foreseeable future and a few lowered settings don't bother me so I don't need an incredibly powerful card, but my 560ti is only 1GB and I need to move on.

is there any reason to get a 280x over 7970? The 7970's are about $50 cheaper where I live.

I was considering one, but I thought Mantle wouldn't be supported on the 7970. Google says otherwise though. Thanks!

Mantle is supported on the 7970 but in the US the 7970 prices aren't good. The only one's I've seen on sale are the poorly reviewed or stock clock models and the 280X is basically a Ghz edition anyway. Newegg has 10% off deals pretty much store wide (sometimes mobile app exclusive sometimes not) frequently that can't be applied to the 7970 because of the free game "gift" that comes with it but can be applied to the 280X.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Mantle is supported on the 7970 but in the US the 7970 prices aren't good. The only one's I've seen on sale are the poorly reviewed models and the 280X is basically a Ghz edition anyway. Newegg has 10% off deals pretty much store wide (sometimes mobile app exclusive sometimes not) frequently that can't be applied to the 7970 because of the free game "gift" that comes with it.

Ah I see. Yeah, I just looked on Newegg and the 7970's are around $30 more expensive on average than the 280x.

Exuro

Filling out the info in the OP, but more on what I want/need.

Your Current Specs: None
Budget:
$500-$600 but I was not actually given a price. I think I can manage around here but will go higher if need be.
Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest:
Gaming 4,
Watching Blurays/Off the HDD/Netflix 5,
Web surfing 5,
Other applications 3.

Monitor Resolution:
1080p TV, will most likely not be upgrading anything.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well:
There's nothing specific in mind. Gaming would be more for my younger brother/sister who play console type game(along with minecraft and such) but nothing in particular
Looking to reuse any parts?: List make and model (e.g. Corsair 520HX, 640GB SATA HDD, Antec 900) I have no parts for this.
When will you build?: Do you have a deadline? Before Xmas
Will you be overclocking?: Yes, No, Maybe (This means yes!) No

My dad wants to get a family computer that'll basically be an htpc in the living room. He'll be wanting to watch blurays/dvds as well as rip them to a drive to run them in XBMC or something similar. He has a cubby in the entertainment system that it'll be in so the case just needs to be able to have good air flow, be quite, and fit.(He'll be drilling some holes to allow airflow into it. The dimensions are
height: 17.25
width: 18
depth: 25.5

My older brother and I like to visit so it would be nice to have a beefy enough system to play some local coop games like sonic transformed or watch a match of Dota 2.

Also since it'll be for movies and such I'm not sure what the best idea is for controlling the system since it'll be a good 8 feet away from the couch. I know I could whip up a basic gaming machine but I'd like to see if there's anything to make a living room experience better.

EDIT: I really like the Fractal Design Node 304.

kennah

Ooooh. Fun build. I'll be back later with some ideas/suggestions.

In the meantime see if any of the SFF cases in the OP tickle your fancy

Thinking about just getting a 7970 for now and doing a full build later. Will I see a decent bump in graphics and framerate? (using BF4 as a benchmark)

I had a fairly similar setup to you that I upgraded in bits and pieces over the past couple months.

My old build was:
Phenom II X3 720 (overclocked and unlocked 4th core)
8GB RAM
AMD 5770

I replaced the 5770 with a GTX 760 in August and for most games, that increased the performance by leaps and bounds. Then I replaced my CPU with a i5 4670k last month and that really helped performance again in CPU intensive games like Rome 2. But between that and adding an SSD earlier this summer, it just made my whole machine so much more snappier.

So I'm guessing you'd get a nice boost in performance with a 7970 or any of AMD's newer cards, even with the Phenom.

My system is now four years old and still going ok, aside from some noise issues.
I was planning on doing a brand new build but due to budget constraints I am considering doing an upgrade.
I obviously want more power for gaming, but i also want the machine to be quieter. What would you guys recommend? I was thinking about just throwing in a 290 and use it in a build later

My system:

AMD 955 Phenom
4GB ram
GTX 560Ti
Gigabyte MA790Gp Motherboard
Seasonic M12 80plus 500Watt. PSU

The 955 is what I run... runs PS2, FFXIV, BF3, etc like a charm (6850 GPU).

Your ram is your bottleneck on this setup imo. A 290 + another 4GB and you'd be gold.

DTKT

That one doesn't have a button :(

edit: wait it had a super tiny button on the bottom. The adapter is in my basement though, so it's not that close to my room. They should both be blinking now though.

edit 2: didn't work. Two of the lights work, but the middle one (home network) still doesn't light up.

Another thing to check is the network name and password(if you did set one) each adapter has. I have 3 Trendnet Powerline Adapters connected and I had to manually change the network name using their configuration utility.

Bruiserk

I don't know if anyone here can help me with this, but here goes. I just got a second monitor for my computer. One monitor is connected through DVI, the other through VGA. The thing is, the monitor connected through DVI will randomly shut off and not come back on, even though my computer is still running. After a while it might come back on, but there is no way I can turn it on myself other than unplugging/plugging in the DVI cord. The little light is still white, which means it is on, rather than orange which means power saving mode. Does anyone know how I could diagnose this?

my hardware:

DVI connected monitor: Dell st2310
vga connected monitor: hp 2210 series wide lcd monitor
desktop: Dell studio XPS 8100

scogoth

I'm trying to look for an indoor Ethernet cable, 200ft for a good price. Can anyone help me

Quick amazon search brought up http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00139VKV0/?tag=neogaf0e-20
EDIT:Looks like that cable is crap, doesn't meet spec

Get one made here.
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/data-cables/index.htm

Or I don't know how much wiring you plan to do in the future but for those long runs its easier to the make the cables yourself if you want to invest $50 in a crimping tool.

Mad Max

I'm trying to look for an indoor Ethernet cable, 200ft for a good price. Can anyone help me

From my own experience the best option is probably buying some solid core CAT 6 (~$30 to $40) and just install two wall sockets on each end with an LSA punch down tool (for about $10). If wall sockets aren't an option for you, get a decent crimping tool (about $10 to $20) and put some RJ45 connectors on either end of the cable. Prices are converted from € tho so maybe it's more expensive in the US, but probably not. Also make sure that whatever cables you get a pure copper, because some stores will sell you aluminium core cables without telling you, and those are pretty crappy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom