• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm noob at RAM configs, can someone arrange it from fastest to slowest?

10-10-10-30
11-11-11-28
7-8-8-24
9-9-9-24
8-8-8-24
7-8-7-24

which family is the best from gskill rams? aegis, ripjawsX or sniper?

.nimrod

My GTX 580 seems to have died. There are white horizontal lines all over the screen, even during bootup.
This is pretty bad timing, since i wasn't going to upgrade that machine for another year (it's an i7 870, 8GB RAM).

I'm thinking of upgrading the GPU now, and the other stuff later on just so I have a working machine that i can use right now.
I kinda want to go with AMD for now, the R9 290 to be specific, but someone mentioned earlier that the non reference models will come out soon.
Are there any specific dates announced?

Not having a functioning PC really sucks, i can't do anything work related from home and browsing the web on an iPad sucks :|

I really wanna pull the trigger on a card soon, what are the issues i should be aware of when getting the 290?
The case i'm using is a HAF 922, if that makes a difference.

Celcius

°Temp. member
i'm noob at RAM configs, can someone arrange it from fastest to slowest?

10-10-10-30
11-11-11-28
7-8-8-24
9-9-9-24
8-8-8-24
7-8-7-24

which family is the best from gskill rams? aegis, ripjawsX or sniper?

Fastest to slowest:
7-8-7-24
7-8-8-24
8-8-8-24
9-9-9-24
10-10-10-30
11-11-11-28

RipjawsX is the best (I also use it in my personal machine)

Barzul

I am a noob when it comes to OCing, this will be my first gaming only PC since 97, so I want to keep it simple and reliable. Maybe after a few months of reading up and learning somethings I might.

Can't believe I missed that deal. Stayed up till 1:30 am after I'd been refreshing for 3 hours and I wake up and it's gone. Guess I'll just get the gtx 770.

Owari

Can't believe I missed that deal. Stayed up till 1:30 am after I'd been refreshing for 3 hours and I wake up and it's gone. Guess I'll just get the gtx 770.

On newegg right? What page are you refreshing? I don't understand their new sale thing. Are they not doing a regular ol' Black Friday deal like they have before?

Trying to get some deals. Heh

Looking at Nvidia cards, what level of card would I need to purchase to be able to run Fallout 3 and NV at their highest settings?

I really want to go back and replay those games, but have no desire to buy a 360 again. :)

Barzul

On newegg right? What page are you refreshing? I don't understand their new sale thing. Are they not doing a regular ol' Black Friday deal like they have before?

Trying to get some deals. Heh

Yeah the deal on 7970 ghz kept going in and out of stock. And they were releasing stock randomly so you had keep refreshing or you missed it. I was unlucky and missed it, looks like some stock came in around 6:30AM CT, I was asleep and missed it.

Addnan

Looking at Nvidia cards, what level of card would I need to purchase to be able to run Fallout 3 and NV at their highest settings?

I really want to go back and replay those games, but have no desire to buy a 360 again. :)

Anything mid range will be fine. They are not really graphically demanding games. Though with a lot mods they can be a bit more.

What's your budget?

Barzul

I'm seriously wondering how big Mantle will be. I'm at the point where I can get a 280x for $308 and a gtx 770 for $312. Which is the better buy? I've been racking my brain on which of these to get.

Hi guys, I've got a weird problem.

When playing a game (or maybe using my pc as well) I will suddenly get a huge drop in frames and everything will go incredibly slow.

I alt tab and my pc is acting incredibly sluggish.

This only started after installing X-Rebirth... I don't know if it has anything to do with this, but maybe it installed something on my pc?

What's more likely to have more long-term real world performance -- a 2.5 ghz dual-core (wolfdale I think) or a 2.3ghz core 2 duo? The machine would mainly be for my dad in his office but should be able to play videos well and all.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883265707

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883108933

I'm going to guess the dual core one is not a core 2 duo but something like a pentium or celeron, so I'd go with the one that's $20 more and lists as an actual core 2 duo. I'm typing this from a core 2 duo on a 5 year old laptop.

Naito

So, I changed a couple of components and I guess I'll go with this build for Cinema 4D rendering:

i7 3930k 6C/12T
Asus P9X79 RAM
G.Skill Ares DDR3-1600 16GB (2x8GB)
Samsung SSD 840 Evo Series 120GB
Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB SATA-3/64MB
Asus GTX650 TI Boost DCIIOC 2GB RAM GDDR5
Seasonic M12II 650W Bronze
Noctua NH-D14 SE2011
Fractal Design Define R4 - Black Pearl

Meatfist

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($225.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi Z87X 3D ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($299.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $935.93
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-17 18:56 EST-0500)

my 1080P gaming build, any recommendations before I pull the trigger?
I keep bouncing back and forth between that PSU and a Corsair CX600

kharma45

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi Z87X 3D ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $935.93
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-17 18:56 EST-0500)

my 1080P gaming build, any recommendations before I pull the trigger?
I keep bouncing back and forth between that PSU and a Corsair CX600

Don't, that Corsair is shite next to the Seasonic.

I'd save $5 on the cooler and just get the 212+, and swap the mobo to the UD3H. I swapped the RAM too for 1866 stuff since it's a bit cheaper and I've changed the PSU too to the Rosewill Capstone, quality Gold rated one for half the price of the one you're looking at.

Also do not buy a 280X yet, wait for BF4 to be bundled in soon.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($68.85 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $876.78
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-17 19:32 EST-0500)

same price, which one to go ?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20600007797%20600374082&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&CompareItemList=48|14-121-803^14-121-803-TS%2C14-127-748^14-127-748-TS&percm=14-127-748%3A%24%24%24%24%24%24%24

in depth details :

https://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/R9280XDC2T3GD5/

http://www.msi.com/product/vga/N760-TF-4GD5-OC.html

280X.

Wait for BF4 on it though, only XFX has got that promotion running so far mind.

Alasfree

I'm sorry if this not the place to ask but how do OEM license work for Win7?
I'm asking because i have broken motherboard i want to change but i am not sure if i can re-install and re-activate Win7 on the new motherboard. In the past i changed many component and Windows didn't bat an eye but i suspect is probably different for motherboards.

kharma45

I'm sorry if this not the place to ask but how do OEM license work for Win7?
I'm asking because i have broken motherboard i want to change but i am not sure if i can re-install and re-activate Win7 on the new motherboard. In the past i changed many component and Windows didn't bat an eye but i suspect is probably different for motherboards.

Microsoft won't have any issue. If they ask why (you have to call them when you change mobo) you want to transfer the license just tell them that the mobo has died and you had to buy a new one and it's all good.

TheBear

Can anyone recommend me a CPU and motherboard to go with the rest of my PC?
I would prefer to keep all the parts and just replace these two items, is there anything else I need besides RAM?

Alasfree

Microsoft won't have any issue. If they ask why (you have to call them when you change mobo) you want to transfer the license just tell them that the mobo has died and you had to buy a new one and it's all good.
So, there is some kind of inconvenience to it. I suppose it's still better that buying another license.
Thanks for the info.

mhayze

Hi guys, just wondering if any fellow PCGaffers have tried configuring Intel Rapid Start (NOT Rapid Storage) on a recent Haswell or Ivy Bridge-E desktop motherboard?

I've grown used to rapid start on both my laptop and a work machine, and I'd love to have this feature in my next self-built home PC, but I'm not sure how feasible it is in a desktop using an aftermarket Asus or Gigabyte board - any experience?

Exuro

What's the best device for input from a couch? Been looking around and have mostly seen track pads and pointers. Right now I'm leaning towards a trackpad/keyboard combo.

What's the best device for input from a couch? Been looking around and have mostly seen track pads and pointers. Right now I'm leaning towards a trackpad.
I use Cideko Air Keyboard Conqueror, which is a wireless gamepad with an integrated keyboard. It works pretty well, although there are a lot of headaches when it comes to getting it work properly with games, even when using Pinnacle game profiler. For some reason, games and emulators consistently register the L2 and R2 buttons as L1 and R1 and invert the Y-axis for the right analog stick.

I have a gigabyte ma790gp with ddr2 ram

Oh ok, yeah you're going to need some new ram. You're looking for better performance in Battlefield and you already bought a 7970, right?

An i5 3570K, i7 3770K, i5 4670K or an i7 4770K would all do the job. They all have unlocked multipliers so they can all be OCed, though you'll want an after market CPU cooler for that. In Battlefield specifically, the i7's hyperthreading seems to actually have a noticeable impact on performance but it doesn't seem to be crucial. Also, it performs noticeably better with Windows 8.

I would check out the prices on those CPUs in your area and see which one fits in your budget. After that then you can look into motherboards.

My God, I hate online sales tax...I understand it, but I miss the good ole' days. Putting my CPU, motherboard and SSD in a cart for Microcenter in Chicago and that $50 tax hit me in the face.

Using the Hazaro "Excellent - Best Overall" build.

CmdBash

managed to get a msi gtx 670 off ebay, will a 450w psu be capable enough to run this along my system of a i5 3570k@4.2ghz? or should I buy a better psu?

Chocobro

I assume I'm allowed to ask this question in this thread: What do you guys usually do with your old PCs? This was built back in Dec. 2007 after my cousin chose the parts; my brother is using it now and we're both planning to build new PCs this coming summer so then I'll have that old one sitting around.

I was thinking about having it in the living room as an indie gaming machine or media center (maybe surveillance system too?) for when I relocate but I have a few gripes: 1) the PC is loud as heck and 2) it's big and I wish I could stuff all of those parts in a SFF case :T
Any recommendations or suggestions?

I assume I'm allowed to ask this question in this thread: What do you guys usually do with your old PCs? This was built back in Dec. 2007 after my cousin chose the parts; my brother is using it now and we're both planning to build new PCs this coming summer so then I'll have that old one sitting around.

I was thinking about having it in the living room as an indie gaming machine or media center (maybe surveillance system too?) for when I relocate but I have a few gripes: 1) the PC is loud as heck and 2) it's big and I wish I could stuff all of those parts in a SFF case :T
Any recommendations or suggestions?

A lot of people re-purpose old pcs as either a media center pc or nas of some kind. You could always buy quiet fans and add sound dampening material to the case if keeping your current one. It also doesn't hurt to have spare working parts lying around such as your power supply and graphics card in case your new parts fail.

LordAlu

managed to get a msi gtx 670 off ebay, will a 450w psu be capable enough to run this along my system of a i5 3570k@4.2ghz? or should I buy a better psu?
Maybe. I think the 670 needs two 6-pin PCI-E connectors to power it - if your power supply has those then it should be okay, but it may be pushing it a bit. Especially so if you have an AMD processor.

TheBear

Oh ok, yeah you're going to need some new ram. You're looking for better performance in Battlefield and you already bought a 7970, right?

An i5 3570K, i7 3770K, i5 4670K or an i7 4770K would all do the job. They all have unlocked multipliers so they can all be OCed, though you'll want an after market CPU cooler for that. In Battlefield specifically, the i7's hyperthreading seems to actually have a noticeable impact on performance but it doesn't seem to be crucial. Also, it performs noticeably better with Windows 8.

I would check out the prices on those CPUs in your area and see which one fits in your budget. After that then you can look into motherboards.

Would I see a significant increase in power with a new CPU?
Is the i5 good enough? I really would like to hit 60fps at 1080p on high settings, is that possible with my card and an i5/i7?

Would I see a significant increase in power with a new CPU?
Is the i5 good enough? I really would like to hit 60fps at 1080p on high settings, is that possible with my card and an i5/i7?

I have a 7970 and a several generations old i7 930 on Windows 8.1 and my framerate averages well above 60 fps with a mix of high and ultra settings with 2x MSAA. With MSAA disabled, I'm seeing an fps average over a 100 in some maps and in the more demanding maps my fps stays above 60, 95% of the time with some occasional dips into the 50s.

TheCloud

Banned
Just pulled the trigger on a 4770/R9 280x build.

Can't wait to get back to PC gaming.

Are we allowed to post pics of our finished build here or is there another thread for that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom