• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I plan to buy a Samsung 840 EVO 500GB this weekend for my laptop.

I'm 99% sure my laptop (ASUS K53SV) is SATA 6Gb/s ...

3wuNvQP.jpg

... but buying a SSD like this to find out you're being choked to 3Gb/s would be a kick in the balls.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I plan to buy a Samsung 840 EVO 500GB this weekend for my laptop.

I'm 99% sure my laptop (ASUS K53SV) is SATA 6Gb/s ...

3wuNvQP.jpg

... but buying a SSD like this to find out you're being choked to 3Gb/s would be a kick in the balls.
300MB/s instead of 550MB/s oh nooooooo (It's fine)
Just pulled the trigger on a 4770/R9 280x build.

Can't wait to get back to PC gaming.

Are we allowed to post pics of our finished build here or is there another thread for that?
Here is great!

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
300MB/s instead of 550MB/s oh nooooooo (It's fine)

I'm sure that at SATA 3Gb/s it would be lightspeed compared to the 5200RPM drive I'm on right now, but I figure that if you paid for a 1 litre drink and only got 600ml then you'd be a bit miffed (shitty analogy I know :p.)

Still, it's a Sandy Bridge laptop and everywhere I look says SATA 6Gb/s. I'll find out for sure on Saturday though.

I asked this in the Diablo III console thread, but this is probably a more appropriate place to ask:

I'm going to put my D3 installation on a USB flash drive to resolve the HDD stutter issue. I've read that formatting the drive to NTFS first is necessary but I've also read that it is not. Which is correct? And why?

Azulsky

What's the scoop on Xbone or DS4 controller compatibility with Win7/8?

Seems like the Steam Controller is still 6 months away so was looking for something in the interim.

kennah

I asked this in the Diablo III console thread, but this is probably a more appropriate place to ask:

I'm going to put my D3 installation on a USB flash drive to resolve the HDD stutter issue. I've read that formatting the drive to NTFS first is necessary but I've also read that it is not. Which is correct? And why?
Fat32 (the default for most sticks) is slow and has a 4gig file size limitation. Format it to ntfs.

So a friend of mine has a 5ish year old computer and his video card just up and died on him. He plans on making a complete rebuild in about another 18 months, but in the meantime wants to replace the GPU and get some new ram, budget around $250 USD. His mobo is an MSI x58 Pro-E, so I suggested he pick up this pair of g skill 1600MHz 4GB sticks and the MSI 7870GHz edition, but I just wanna be sure there aren't any incompatibilities with the GPU.

If you have a Microcenter near you, go go go!

http://www.microcenter.com/site/brands/intel-processor-bundles.aspx

4770k for $199.99

Oh damn, anyone willing to pick this up either at Microcenter or a place that will price match and I will pay for shipping?!

TheCloud

Banned
So a friend of mine has a 5ish year old computer and his video card just up and died on him. He plans on making a complete rebuild in about another 18 months, but in the meantime wants to replace the GPU and get some new ram, budget around $250 USD. His mobo is an MSI x58 Pro-E, so I suggested he pick up this pair of g skill 1600MHz 4GB sticks and the MSI 7870GHz edition, but I just wanna be sure there aren't any incompatibilities with the GPU.

I think you would be better served purchasing an R9 270x, which is a rebranded 7870 with some performance increases. Otherwise you're good to go.

My GTX 580 seems to have died. There are white horizontal lines all over the screen, even during bootup.
This is pretty bad timing, since i wasn't going to upgrade that machine for another year (it's an i7 870, 8GB RAM).

I'm thinking of upgrading the GPU now, and the other stuff later on just so I have a working machine that i can use right now.
I kinda want to go with AMD for now, the R9 290 to be specific, but someone mentioned earlier that the non reference models will come out soon.
Are there any specific dates announced?

Not having a functioning PC really sucks, i can't do anything work related from home and browsing the web on an iPad sucks :|

I really wanna pull the trigger on a card soon, what are the issues i should be aware of when getting the 290?
The case i'm using is a HAF 922, if that makes a difference.

Sell iPad. Buy baytrail tablet on sale. Wait until 2014 for non-reference design. I thought AMD screwed up the R290/X anyway.

Jessicat

Hey all, I'm back again. Repurposed my part list a bit, and recently got an SSD on sale from newegg [prices from NCIX.ca].

Intel Core i5 4670K Unlocked Quad Core 3.4GHZ Processor - $239.99
MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Z87 Motherboard - $169.99
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 OC 1150MHZ 2GB Video Card - $254.99
Seasonic M12II 650W EPS12V 20/24PIN ATX Power Supply - $109.99
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Direct Touch 4 Heatsink - $34.98
ASUS Xonar Dgx Headphone AMP & 5.1 PCI-E Sound Card - $44.99
Kingston KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX 8GB Kit 2X4GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM - $90.98
WD Caviar Black 1TB Hard Drive - $99.98
TOTAL = $1,050.88
+Intel 530 Series SSDSC2BW240A4K5 240GB SSD - $188.69 Shipped

Any suggestions on cheaper RAM? Maybe a case too.
I also recently came across this:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820223120
and didn't know it was a thing that existed XD Would make me less picky about cases as I could have a bunch of USB ports through that instead. Worth getting, downsides, etc?

Would appreciate the input. Might hold off on buying some things, is it worth waiting for Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales in Canada?

TheBear

How deep is the gulf between the i5 CPU's and i7's?

The 4440 is around $200 and the 4770 is around $340 where I live. Is it worth the extra money?

Chocobro

A lot of people re-purpose old pcs as either a media center pc or nas of some kind. You could always buy quiet fans and add sound dampening material to the case if keeping your current one. It also doesn't hurt to have spare working parts lying around such as your power supply and graphics card in case your new parts fail.

What would be considered a quiet fan? What dB range or metric?

What would be considered a quiet fan? What dB range or metric?

I'm not too experienced with them. I know there are websites that you can find on google that are dedicated to silent pcs. I know that the bigger fans don't have to move as fast to create as much air and are less loud than smaller fans that have to spin faster. Companies like Noctua and Corsair have fans that they label as "silent". You can search for reviews from some of the professional computer part review sites to see if they live up to that label.

Exuro

Logitech K400 and a wired 360 pad.
Does the trackpad work well enough? I've seen these a lot so I'll most likely get this along with a wireless receiver since my little brother has a few 360 controllers already.

Ooooh. Fun build. I'll be back later with some ideas/suggestions.

In the meantime see if any of the SFF cases in the OP tickle your fancy
Get anywhere with this? :p

Forgot to mention more obvious things but booting up quickly(My current comp's mobo takes like 10 seconds to post), using low power and such are wanted. :)

Right now I'm still open up to everything. Have my eye on the Fractal Node 304 but haven't had a lot of time to look due to exams and projects.

EDIT: Shoot, there's no external drive bay on this. Hmm, I'm going to need to think about this. My dad likes watching blurays and I'm not sure if he'd put enough time into ripping them onto an hdd. My little brother has a i5 2500k + bluray drive on his system so maybe he could have him do the stuff on there and then put the files on the htpc.

How deep is the gulf between the i5 CPU's and i7's?

The 4440 is around $200 and the 4770 is around $340 where I live. Is it worth the extra money?

In the past, the difference was insignificant but there are hints that the extra threads could be useful with the new generation of games. According to benchmarks BF4 benefits from hyperthreading and the Watch Dogs early recommended specs suggested the same, though who knows what state that game was in before it was delayed. Are you considering overclocking? If so you'll need a K variant CPU, which can give you a good chunk of additional "free" performance.

kennah

Does the trackpad work well enough? I've seen these a lot so I'll most likely get this along with a wireless receiver since my little borther has a few 360 controllers already.

Get anywhere with this? :p

Forgot to mention more obvious things but booting up quickly(My current comp's mobo takes like 10 seconds to post), using low power and such are wanted. :)

Right now I'm still open up to everything. Have my eye on the Fractal Node 304 but haven't had a lot of time to look due to exams and projects.

Heh sorry. Been stupid busy. The Node is by far my favourite consumer case. I'll see about putting something together tonight.

Side note. Put a 780 in my friends Socket 2011 workstation tonight. Hell of an improvement over the 470 I was lending him.

So an update, as the guy above said Staples is price matching the Microcenter deal on 3570k's and 4770k's on online orders (deal lasts until the 21st). Just have the Staples item number ready when you go to order and get a rep to give you the refund for the difference in live chat. Snagged one myself for $232.45 with tax, which considering I was ready to settle for an i5 4670k at $220 solid last I checked, is a hell of a deal. That's nearly 50% off list price, $171 savings. Combo that with a slightly used $288 MSI GTX770 4GB from a generous gaffer, this build is a hell of a lot higher than I expected (though about $50-60 over the budget I originally intended, but what the hell).

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $232.45)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($68.85 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card (Purchased For $288.40)
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N250PCe 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($19.48 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($55.86 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: BitFenix Spectre 47.7 CFM 140mm Fan ($8.03 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80+ Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.97 @ OutletPC)
Keyboard: Logitech MK520 Wireless Ergonomic Keyboard w/Laser Mouse ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1106.98
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-18 23:19 EST-0500)

Hoping I can shave off a little more on a good mobo deal, maybe downgrade to one of the Kingston SSD's, look for deals on the case and HDD, but beyond that I can't see where I'd save much more money.

NoRéN

So an update, as the guy above said Staples is price matching the Microcenter deal on 3570k's and 4770k's on online orders. Just have the Staples item number ready when you go to order. Snagged one myself for $232.45 with tax, which considering I was ready to settle for an i5 4670k at $220 solid last I checked, is a hell of a deal.

You're welcome. :)

Glad that worked out for you.

Shambles

I'm sure that at SATA 3Gb/s it would be lightspeed compared to the 5200RPM drive I'm on right now, but I figure that if you paid for a 1 litre drink and only got 600ml then you'd be a bit miffed (shitty analogy I know :p.)

Still, it's a Sandy Bridge laptop and everywhere I look says SATA 6Gb/s. I'll find out for sure on Saturday though.

You'll rarely have a real life workload where you'd even be able to pass SATA 2 speeds with an SSD. Most of your normal workload is small reads/writes and any SSD will be 1000X faster than an HDD in those. That is what makes SSDs feel so much faster. If large sequential writes mattered a lot you'd see a lot more people throwing a few cheap HDDs into a raid and be able to match the fastest SSD for significantly less cost.

Chocobro

I'm not too experienced with them. I know there are websites that you can find on google that are dedicated to silent pcs. I know that the bigger fans don't have to move as fast to create as much air and are less loud than smaller fans that have to spin faster. Companies like Noctua and Corsair have fans that they label as "silent". You can search for reviews from some of the professional computer part review sites to see if they live up to that label.

Thanks CreepingFear :) I'll look into that.

EDIT: And damn, I might start buying parts for the new PC early then; price matching the i7 4770K at Staples is tempting. Based on everyone's reaction, I should go for it? If I were to go in-store to price match how do I check if the unit is fine and not borked because I plan to put a PC together around next summer and it would suck if I found out it isn't working months after buying it.

previously, between GTX760 and R9-280X, i understood i should go with 280X especially the 2 GPUs have the same price.
well, if it's GTX770 vs. R9-280X, but the geforce price is an extra $100-$150, is it worth the cost and would it be a huge jump in performance compared to 280X? or should i save and go with 280X ?

if the answer is STILL to go with 280X, which model is the best overall ?

https://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/R9280XDC2T3GD5/

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1227&pid=2023&psn=&lid=1&leg=0

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1227&pid=2024&psn=&lid=1&leg=0

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1227&pid=2065&psn=&lid=1&leg=0

http://www.msi.com/product/vga/R9-280X-GAMING-3G.html#overview

if its possible to be arranged from the best to the least favored option based on highest performance ,better cooling and less noise

golem

Finished up my rigid acrylic build, put the 290 on water as well... man that stuff is hard to work with but looks sweet

Quick insta:

85bd032c4ff411e3b56f1243d5ae15de_8.jpg

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I need a new CPU for rendering but I don't want to break bank to buy it. Any advice? The price range is 300$. Currently rocking i5-2500k but it has no hyperthreading.

kharma45

previously, between GTX760 and R9-280X, i understood i should go with 280X especially the 2 GPUs have the same price.
well, if it's GTX770 vs. R9-280X, but the geforce price is an extra $100-$150, is it worth the cost and would it be a huge jump in performance compared to 280X? or should i save and go with 280X ?

if the answer is STILL to go with 280X, which model is the best overall ?

https://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/R9280XDC2T3GD5/

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1227&pid=2023&psn=&lid=1&leg=0

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1227&pid=2024&psn=&lid=1&leg=0

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1227&pid=2065&psn=&lid=1&leg=0

http://www.msi.com/product/vga/R9-280X-GAMING-3G.html#overview

if its possible to be arranged from the best to the least favored option based on highest performance ,better cooling and less noise

My choices would be

1. Sapphire Toxic - Fastest, really high quality components and relatiavely quiet. Others do produce less noise but the trade off is worth it
  2. Sapphire Vapor-X
  3. ASUS DCU II
  4. MSI
  5. Sapphire Dual X

MisterM

Does the trackpad work well enough? I've seen these a lot so I'll most likely get this along with a wireless receiver since my little brother has a few 360 controllers already.

I use a Logitech K400 and Wireless 360 pad and both work a treat. Although my machine boots into Steam Big Picture Mode and I have a shortcut to XBMC in Steam so I rarely get up for the K400...it's just there if I need it.

Got a call with a delivery delay on my 4770k from Staples, coming in now on the 22nd, little worried, but at least they still gave an alternate date right? Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom