• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The holes for the heatsink in the 1150 are in the same spot as socket 1155. You are good.

Yea I can confirm this, they demonstrated so in the PCGamer LPC build video.

Okay. This might be what I finally go with: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/RedSwirl/saved/TIY

Look good for around $1100? Prices would be from Amazon and/or MicroCenter. Anything critical I'm missing?

If you'd be willing to wait til Cyber Monday you could probably shave off another 60-70 bucks (and buy a cpu cooler for properly overclocking that CPU since you're already paying the premium for an unlocked K CPU and a z87 motherboard) unless you absolutely have to have this thing built by then. Also your RAM voltage is too high for your cpu @ 1.65, it'll get underclocked automatically. Plus you can definitely find cheaper/better RAM if you look around a bit. Try some of the G. Skill's, especially if you'd be willing to order from newegg as they're 15% off with a code.

FoxSpirit

You'll need to add your old HDDs in Disk Management.

Don't worry about Firefox on the SSD. SSDs are a lot more resilient than a lot of people originally thought. Check out TechReport's coverage of long term testing.
Honestly from all I've read any SSD made in the last year or so you really shouln't have to worry about longevity with regards to read/write operations. You'd have to have an insane load 24/7 for several years I think before you'd see significant performance losses.
Thanks a lot, so whisperquiet fast goodness for years :-D

The 212 Evo does not list the 1150 socket type in its specifications on newegg. You sure?
I just mounted it on a 4770k yesterday evening. I have a Fractal R2 case and everything is almost eerily quiet.

Durante

Any thoughts on this CPU cooler?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106218

It's 15 more expensive than the 212 (Given a 20 dollar rebate), but is reportedly very quiet, which I care about considerably.
120mm closed loop water coolers make no sense. They aren't any better than good air towers (worse actually in some cases), and far more error-prone. If you spend that much, just get a NH-D14 (probably the best cooling/noise you can buy).

kennah

120mm closed loop water coolers make no sense. They aren't any better than good air towers (worse actually in some cases), and far more error-prone. If you spend that much, just get a NH-D14 (probably the best cooling/noise you can buy).
They make perfect sense for Small Form Factor machines.

kharma45

uoxWAMv.png

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=3053&product_name=Hyper 212 EVO

thanks for saving my $130 for this unnecessary upgrade
the difference between the deal price -$320- on sniper and my place's price -$563- is $243, but after all it's too much for me as a performance and as a price

now it's between UD4H and UD5H
i'm believe 5H is unnecessary upgrade for an extra fan connector and dual lan ports, unless that feature of sound card verified, 4H is less by $10 with a VGA port and non of the ringing names above + cooler look -red & black to match my haf x- :)

UD4H is a poor value board next to the UD3H. The only difference is the colour.

Azulsky

Noctua doesnt fit every case
Is a very large piece of metal hanging off your CPU socket
Cant use fancy heatspreader clad dimms
Makes it hard to get to video cards(mATX)
Aesthetically it is ugly, and I would not want to stare at it through my case window

I really havent seen any of the Asetek socket pumps fail yet(the same one used in that Thermaltake AIO and the non "i" Corsair coolers) firsthand. I still have an original H50 from 2010 that runs fine.

Noise is kinda a moot point if you have HDD's and a dGPU you will always hear something coming out of the case.

UD4H is a poor value board next to the UD3H. The only difference is the colour.

mmmmm

this is why i chose to upgrade from UD3H to UD4H or UD5H:
UD3H using New Heatsink design for better cooling
UD4H/5H using New Heatsink design with heat-pipe for better cooling

also as seen in pics, the heatsinks of 3H is smaller than 4H/5H:

http://www.gigabyte.com/fileupload/product/2/4481/8002_big.jpg
http://www.gigabyte.com/fileupload/product/2/4488/8122_big.jpg
http://www.gigabyte.com/fileupload/product/2/4483/8094_big.jpg

am i right or this is all wrong ???

UD3H $159, UD4H $179, UD5H $189

Durante

Noctua doesnt fit every case
Is a very large piece of metal hanging off your CPU socket
Cant use fancy heatspreader clad dimms
Makes it hard to get to video cards(mATX)
Aesthetically it is ugly, and I would not want to stare at it through my case window
Those are all kind of irrelevant if what you are trying to do is built a silent, tasteful PC. You'll use a large case anyway and certainly you wouldn't have a window.

Of course things change if you want a SFF build or bling-bling.

So here's what i just put together, price is pretty much what i wanted to go for. Feel free to comment, mostly on the video card, i had no idea what to pick...

So beside gaming in 1080p for now anyways, what i want to do, some streaming and also i will probably do some rendering (video and 3D) for my girlfriend seeing that this build will be better then her current computer.

I was wondering i'd like to add a 2nd fan on the CPU cooler, does it come with brackets to hold 2 fans? If not where can i buy some?

Thanks!

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/26zzD

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Amazon Canada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.79 @ DirectCanada)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($5.85 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($134.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($126.48 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($186.34 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($354.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $1358.41
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-22 12:02 EST-0500)

Azulsky

Those are all kind of irrelevant if what you are trying to do is built a silent, tasteful PC. You'll use a large case anyway and certainly you wouldn't have a window.

Of course things change if you want a SFF build or bling-bling.

wait for it

I think I've decided on the Fortress FT03 MicroATX case instead of the Fortress FT03 mini.Still small, but not ultra small.

Boom(the video card clearance is perty tight but it works)

http://imageshack.us/a/img39/1358/dsc0458s.jpg

FoxSpirit

@LeGourmand:
There is a 2nd bracket to install an additional fan included but going from my build, it's not necessary. Even stresstesting with OCCT only brings it up to 72° and even then I can hardly hear the fan-noise in my near dead-silent room.
I just use the standard two fans on the R4 with the fan-controller set to medium.

The GPU has great reviews, fast and very silent.

Strong and silent stuff you picked, I think you will be very pleased.

Azulsky

Yeah, it looks like I can fit a gtx780 in to the Miniatx fortress.

Might be best to go with a traditional blower type cooler on the GPU. You need to have pretty decent overall cfm with the open type otherwise they are going skyrocket your ambient temps. Some of the different companies offer the Titan cooler on the 780

RedSwirl

If you'd be willing to wait til Cyber Monday you could probably shave off another 60-70 bucks (and buy a cpu cooler for properly overclocking that CPU since you're already paying the premium for an unlocked K CPU and a z87 motherboard) unless you absolutely have to have this thing built by then. Also your RAM voltage is too high for your cpu @ 1.65, it'll get underclocked automatically. Plus you can definitely find cheaper/better RAM if you look around a bit. Try some of the G. Skill's, especially if you'd be willing to order from newegg as they're 15% off with a code.

RAM voltage? The fuck is that? What amount should I have?

Also, I don't plan to overclock right away.

RedSwirl

From what I'm looking at it almost seems like higher-voltage RAM is cheaper. Am I right to be searching for either 1.35v or 1.5v?

Baleoce

Frustrating. I get my SSD and 3.5" bracket. Go to install it all, and realise I need a sata power cable extension. Got to wait til Monday now xD Should have checked earlier, just didn't think.

Azulsky

From what I'm looking at it almost seems like higher-voltage RAM is cheaper. Am I right to be searching for either 1.35v or 1.5v?

The higher the voltage it is the less overclocking room it has as you increase voltages to get stability at higher clocks/lower timings.

kennah

Mkenyon - where do you buy those colored single threaded power cables from?
Corsair has some for specific psus. Bitfenix make extensions that will fit on anything.

But most people do the sleeving by hand. It is a deep well that you don't want to delve into. (Tools alone are 100$+)

Azulsky

Corsair has some for specific psus. Bitfenix make extensions that will fit on anything.

But most people do the sleeving by hand. It is a deep well that you don't want to delve into. (Tools alone are 100$+)

Have you seen the guy on OCN that laced his after he sleeved them so they hold the same contour?

kharma45

mmmmm

this is why i chose to upgrade from UD3H to UD4H or UD5H:
UD3H using New Heatsink design for better cooling
UD4H/5H using New Heatsink design with heat-pipe for better cooling

also as seen in pics, the heatsinks of 3H is smaller than 4H/5H:

http://www.gigabyte.com/fileupload/product/2/4481/8002_big.jpg
http://www.gigabyte.com/fileupload/product/2/4488/8122_big.jpg
http://www.gigabyte.com/fileupload/product/2/4483/8094_big.jpg

am i right or this is all wrong ???

UD3H $159, UD4H $179, UD5H $189

You're paying for more power phases but it's not worth the extra money.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I bought a M500 480GB today for my laptop. Without embellishing too much, holy fucking shit it's fast.

I benched my previous HDD before the switch: 70MB/s with 19.74ms random access time.

The SSD has: 521MB/s with 34 microseconds random access time.

The absence of delay is extremely noticeable. Everything is smooth and reinstalling Windows was literally done before I noticed it was. It's nice to live in the future. :D

Tablo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2PJ1tjIMzo
Bitfenix Colossus M

I really like this case from what I see, enough space and dust filters. But I don't see how the hell the graphics card breathes, it would kind of suck if you had to use a reference blower type of card with a build with this case...
Also at the front I think you can fit a 200+mm fan, any good ones? Would that help temps and cool the mobo if you're using a closed loop on the CPU?

scogoth

I believe mkenyon uses psycho sleeve which is the best option. Fully custom sleeves without the hassle of making them yourself. Having gone done the DIY route I don't recommend it. It is very time consuming, expensive and difficult.

I ordered an XFX 550W PSU last night, well I looked at my GPU and it has two 8 pin plugs not the 8 and 6 like is listed on Sapphires site. The PSU only has a 8 and a 6 pin plug, should I cancel the PSU or will using an adapter be good enough?

MCasey

Looking at building my first PC to hook up to my 1080p Panasonic TV in Big Picture.
Thoughts on this setup? When games like "The Witcher 3" comes out....will it do high/ultra in 1080p in 60fps?
How does this compare to what a PS4 can achieve in multiplatform games?

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi Z87W ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($98.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($66.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($220.66 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($36.00 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80+ Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.97 @ OutletPC)
Total: $736.59

NoRéN

Looking at building my first PC to hook up to my 1080p Panasonic TV in Big Picture.
Thoughts on this setup? When games like "The Witcher 3" comes out....will it do high/ultra in 1080p in 60fps?

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($66.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80+ Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.97 @ OutletPC)
Did you buy this stuff already? The ram and video card are out of stock.

New link for ram.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148540

NoRéN

Will the HyperX Red be compatable with this mobo? http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z87 Extreme4/?cat=Specifications It is showing up on the compatibility list.

Don't see why not. However, full disclosure, I'm still new to all this and still learning. So, hopefully someone else can chime in with more knowledge than me. I try to stick to recommendations in the OP or by the thread veterans and OP states to stick with 1.35 or 1.5v for ram and that ram is 1.65v. I'm curious to learn why that is myself

I do like the color and wanted it myself..

MCasey

NoRéN;91028465 said:
Did you buy this stuff already? The ram and video card are out of stock.

New link for ram.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148540

I didn't buy it yet. Still thinking about whether to build a PC or get a new console. Other than some of the stuff being out of stock (ill search elsewhere) is this a capable gaming PC? I've only played on a 360. Looking to get 60fps at 1080p on high/ultra, especially for future games like the Witcher 3.

kharma45

Bit more expensive

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($197.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($119.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($249.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Other: Kingston KHX1333C9D3B1K2/8G HyperX Desktop Memory Kit - 8GB (2x 4GB), PC3-10600, DDR3-1333MHz, 240-pin DIMM, CL9, 1.5V, Non-ECC, Unbuffered ($39.99)
Total: $751.93
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-23 17:11 EST-0500)

Also for $25 you can get a cooler to OC the nuts off that CPU. If you forgo the modular PSU you can work it into a $750 budget

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.98 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($25.99 @ Newegg)
Other: Kingston KHX1333C9D3B1K2/8G HyperX Desktop Memory Kit - 8GB (2x 4GB), PC3-10600, DDR3-1333MHz, 240-pin DIMM, CL9, 1.5V, Non-ECC, Unbuffered ($39.99)
Total: $747.91
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-23 17:10 EST-0500)

Or if you want to stick to your original budget

Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($25.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $722.93
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-23 17:11 EST-0500)

mkenyon

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2PJ1tjIMzo
Bitfenix Colossus M

I really like this case from what I see, enough space and dust filters. But I don't see how the hell the graphics card breathes, it would kind of suck if you had to use a reference blower type of card with a build with this case...
Also at the front I think you can fit a 200+mm fan, any good ones? Would that help temps and cool the mobo if you're using a closed loop on the CPU?
They just take the prodigy and put different plastic on the outside. Good design.

Yeah, 200mm fan on the front. There aren't a lot of great, quiet 200mm fans though.
I've used Psychosleeve before:

Those are now in Skelington's build.

Corsair's first gen:

Corsair's second gen (much improved, IMO):

and my newest batch is coming from Promethean Mutations

CRS

So my PC crashed on me while playing some games and I noticed that my GPU was overheating. I start up Hardware Monitor to look up the readings on it while playing a game and it says that the fans are working at 0%. I open my case and notice that only one of my GPU fans is not working.

If I decide to disassemble it, is there anything I should look for that might cause it to stop? I put an air compressor to it as well and the single fan still isn't working.

The card in question is a GeForce GTX 580.

Meatfist

Just built my first PC! It feels so good running games at max settings AND getting a good framerate.

Quick question though:

Is there a program or something that would allow me to switch between my monitor and TV (through HDMI) on the fly? I don't want the screens duplicated, but rather only one being output at a time. It's kind of annoying having to unplug my TV whenever I don't want to use it

Just built my first PC! It feels so good running games at max settings AND getting a good framerate.

Quick question though:

Is there a program or something that would allow me to switch between my monitor and TV (through HDMI) on the fly? I don't want the screens duplicated, but rather only one being output at a time. It's kind of annoying having to unplug my TV whenever I don't want to use it

Windows Key + P. Will allow you to switch between screens. One will be listed as Computer only, the other Projector only.

CRS

Quick question though:

Nvm. Misread the question.

RedSwirl

Just went down to MicroCenter and I was surprised with their prices on power supplies. Right now I'm just planning to get the same power supply I'm using for my current system -- a 550w Antec that's about $64.99. At MicroCenter though (a nearby store location) they had that same wattage for around $50, or 650w PSUs for around $60. I can't remember the name of the manufacture (started with "in" something) but they had an 80 rating in something.

Other than that the only prices I saw that were superior to Amazon's were in processors.

mkenyon

Banned
The big downside to the FT03 is that a number of heatpipe based GPU coolers that people love (ASUS DCuII, MSI Twin Frozr) don't work well with the 90 degree rotated MB orientation.

Cable management is a bitch too.

The Silverstone SG10 is even smaller, a bit less expensive, but is a bit more crammed. Still, overall it's a better design. The Fractal Arc/Define Mini R2's are both great too. Same with the Corsair 350D, though it's basically small-mid-tower in size.

Ok, so good news! My mobo wasn't fucked after all. For whatever reason, plugging in a second GPU made the mobo default to outputting over it's default VGA connector. After stripping down the computer to the bare minimum and it still not showing anything, and giving a cryptic error code unrelated to my current problem, I hit F2, and the error code changed. Since F2 goes into BIOS, I suddenly realzied it was doing something, I just couldn't see it. Swapped the DVI for a VGA, and it worked. So anyways, it's all good now.

Well, sort of -- so here's the new possible problem: when I'm in Sapphire Trixx to overclock each card, I noticed that the bus width on the second card is almost 1/10th the first. While the first has been dropped to x8, the second shows as x1, instead of x8. I know my mobo (ASRock Z77 Extreme4) supports dual x8, so I'm not sure if this is Trixx displaying/reading incorrectly, or if it really is in x1 mode. Is there any way to verify this?

Thanks guys!

EDIT: Nevermind, it looks like it was set to Ultra Low Power CrossFire, for whatever reason. Disabling that through Trixx and restarting fixed it, both are now running at proper x8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom