• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey fellow gaffers I'm looking to buy a new motherboard. Any suggestions on which ones I should look into. I only wanna spend $150 max. Also according to my brother I need one that has Iga755 socket due to the processor I currently have.

Welp, I'm filing a BBB complaint against Staples tonight. Long story short: my second order of the i7 4770k ended with me canceling my order, because they won't price match an item that is out of stock at the store I'm price matching for....even though I called 3 Microcenters and found it was still in stock AFTER they refused to price match. There was a whole lot more that took place, but I'm fed up with being told multiple things from multiple different Staples employees and getting shit on each time.

MCasey

I am looking into building a PC for the first time.
Is it a good time to build a PC as the Next-gen consoles have just released?

I have a budget of $650.
1) I want to hook it up to my 50s60 panasonic 1080p plasma using Big Picture
2) Use a controller
3) easily upgradeable
Any recommendations on what to purchase? Would it be best to wait for the steambox?
Thanks in advance.

mkenyon

Banned
For any computer related purchases, is it a better idea to wait for BF if we might buy something right now?
Eh, not really. It's mostly random stuff that goes on sale. Maybe a case, a headset, mouse, keyboard, that sort of thing. I've never seen a HOLY SHIT deal on a GPU/CPU/Mobo on BF/CM.

Also, for whatever reason, NCIX.us always has better BF/CM deals than Newegg or Amazon.
I am looking into building a PC for the first time.
Is it a good time to build a PC as the Next-gen consoles have just released?

I have a budget of $650.
1) I want to hook it up to my 50s60 panasonic 1080p plasma using Big Picture
2) Use a controller
3) easily upgradeable
Any recommendations on what to purchase? Would it be best to wait for the steambox?
Thanks in advance.
Get the "Standard" build, but swap in a Z87 motherboard so you can upgrade to a 4670K/4770K in the future.

LordAlu

Thanks for the info.
If I want to play games in 1080p and get 60fps in most games, what GPU should I go with?
The best performing one you can afford once you've spent the rest. For example, this build is slightly over $650:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($112.48 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi Z87W ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($98.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($66.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($36.02 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80+ Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.97 @ OutletPC)
Total: $658.41
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-22 03:18 EST-0500)

This would be a very good base to start from. An i3 and 7870 should be enough for games on high (not very high/ultra) to hit 60FPS. There's a Z87 motherboard in there to allow you to upgrade the CPU to a 4670k or 4770k later, as well as a power supply capable of powering pretty much every single card setup out there so you can upgrade the graphics card later too. Plus you even get an SSD.

Bear in mind this doesn't include Windows. The next step up in graphics cards is quite a leap in cost so not only would you have had to remove the SSD but even drop the processor down to a 3220 - it isn't worth it just to get an i5 in there.

Need help with wifi routers. I need a cheap one that lets me limit the download and upload speed of devices (in terms of kbps/mbps), depending on their MAC address. It must be simple to use.

I fiddled around my own routers and had a headache. Basically it doesn't support any third party firmware (dd-wrt, tomato, etc). No bandwidth limiter like the one mentioned. One router has QoS, looks complicated, don't know how to set it up, but it gave me the gist that it only lets me order the prioritization of packets.

I'm so tired of looking these up. My current router had "bandwidth management" but it doesn't let me do what I want. I need this because my parents suddenly both have tablets. So freaking tired of YouTube hogging all the bandwidth because it always plays on HD and they keep forgetting to turn it off (there's no way to default to non-HD). Because of this, a hard limit has to be set, and not just going with bandwidth priorities.

TL;DR
I'm a complete networking noob.
I want a modem+router that lets me say "Limit the down/up speed to 512kbps/128kbps for this device MAC address" as simple as possible.

NoRéN

Welp, I'm filing a BBB complaint against Staples tonight. Long story short: my second order of the i7 4770k ended with me canceling my order, because they won't price match an item that is out of stock at the store I'm price matching for....even though I called 3 Microcenters and found it was still in stock AFTER they refused to price match. There was a whole lot more that took place, but I'm fed up with being told multiple things from multiple different Staples employees and getting shit on each time.
Really? You're going to be that person? You sound like a greedy slickdeals forum poster.

This isn't low profile is it?

G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133

Azulsky

Need help with wifi routers. I need a cheap one that lets me limit the download and upload speed of devices (in terms of kbps/mbps), depending on their MAC address. It must be simple to use.

I fiddled around my own routers and had a headache. Basically it doesn't support any third party firmware (dd-wrt, tomato, etc). No bandwidth limiter like the one mentioned. One router has QoS, looks complicated, don't know how to set it up, but it gave me the gist that it only lets me order the prioritization of packets.

I'm so tired of looking these up. My current router had "bandwidth management" but it doesn't let me do what I want. I need this because my parents suddenly both have tablets. So freaking tired of YouTube hogging all the bandwidth because it always plays on HD and they keep forgetting to turn it off (there's no way to default to non-HD). Because of this, a hard limit has to be set, and not just going with bandwidth priorities.

TL;DR
I'm a complete networking noob.
I want a modem+router that lets me say "Limit the down/up speed to 512kbps/128kbps for this device MAC address" as simple as possible.

Have you looked at smallnetbuilder.com?

They do networking gear reviews.

Sorry I cant give a more direct answer like product A or B.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I just bought a ... sound card (Xonar DGX). Never thought I'd say this again.

But it was cheap (32€!), and I'm curious how it sounds with its headphone amp on my Audiotechnicas, compared to the onboard solution.
DG (PCI) used to go onsale for 20 bux, not it's DGX and some other for still much cheaper than other audio solutions at least.

I'm interested to find what you think,on my Gene it's very similar to onboard (but with much better mic input). However, from my old crap tower it was a gigantic leap.

Waiting forever for the Arc Mini R2 case to come out has kind of ruined my plans of just going with an Ivy Bridge setup instead of Haswell, but ohwell. Better get to it now before I wait myself onto next year. Would appreciate some advice as I really haven't had the same amount of time as I normally do for my own research.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VI GENE Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($209.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($173.58 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Microcenter)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Microcenter)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($509.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($109.58 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1475.08
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-22 07:18 EST-0500)

Purpose: Gaming and general use. 1080p max for now, but really hoping to get a good >60hz monitor sometime. That FG2421 is looking nice if it becomes more readily available.

Think I missed out on the 4770k from Microcenter as they have been out of stock at the one near me for a few days now. Replacing a 1.5tb hard drive that is on it's way out with the 2 Blues I have there. Haven't really gone though the best prices there other then knowing that I'll be getting the CPU/Motherboard from Microcenter, and then will get everything else I can from amazon for their return policy with leftovers though newegg.

Things I am unsure of; If I should just get the 4770k anyway even if I can't get it at the reduced price. Money isn't that big of an issue but I wouldn't want to needlessly waste it since the only thing I will ever use the computer for is gaming. Either way I hope to get a decent overclock and may eventually delid. As for the video card, not sure if I should try to wait around for non reference R290s to come out so trying to go for the best of the 580s. Can't get the MSI Lightning since I know the D14 is already close to the first pcie slot, and the big deal sticking off the back of that card would interfere. Thinking about the just released "GHZ" version of that gigabyte card I have in there, but it is also another $40 and has a back plate that may or may not get in the way.

And then the noticeable omission, a PSU. Just really unsure about this. Which of the Corsair PSUs are from which manufacturer, and which have reported coil whine? Was looking hard at the AX series but really don't know if I should aim lower for less cost/just get a Seasonic unit directly, like the SS-750KM3 or M12II series. Would like a modular unit with all the connections on one half of that side so that I can fit a fan in on the bottom mount in the case I have chosen if I decide to (if that makes any sense). Thanks for any and all feedback.

Alright rather than wait a week or more trying to figure out why my system now refuses to boot, what are some good quality LGA 1155 Ivy Bridge mobos I should look at?

Or fuck, maybe I should just grab a 4770k and rebuild the whole fucker. I just got the 3750k in it last year though. But I do miss HyperThreading...

Kingbrave

Switched out the power supply with no problems. So thanks GAF!

I'm thinking of going dual monitors, can I hook one up with DVI and one HDMI?

Yes, it really doesn't matter much. Just get what is cheapest.

i'm not an expert, but
this rams is 1866

the mobo is supporting 1866 via OC if i understand it correctly:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4481

and the cpu also supporting DDR3-1333/1600:
http://ark.intel.com/products/75048/

will be there any conflicts of incompatibility ? or i've to do some settings like setting the RAM speed from BIOS at 1600 for stable performance?

===

as for the mobo, it'll cost me $159.99 from sellers that accepts non-US credit card.
after 10hrs, amazon will have an offer on G1.Sniper 5 , if its price dropped to 160-$200m wold it be more worthy of an upgrade or not?

if the offer didnt go well, i'll stick with UD3H, but also i found that UD4H is costing 179.99 and UD5H is 189.99 , so it's a 9.99-19.98 , should i consider them or not?

TRIVIA:
locally, the prices are like this:
ASRock Fatal1ty Z87 Professional = GA-Z87X-UD5H
ASRock Z87 Extreme6 = GA-Z87X-UD4H = GA-Z87X-OC
ASRock Z87 Extreme4 < GA-Z87X-UD3H
GA-Z87X-OC >= GA-Z87X-UD3H

as i said i'll buy online cause it's much cheaper, but sometimes, the difference in prices locally is helping/confusing me to decide my choice , especially when they're having the same price or higher by $20 when i find them online @@

thanks in advance

mkenyon

Banned
I have the Gigabyte G1 Sniper M5 Z87, and it's a great board. If the Sniper 5 (not M5) is for $160, that would be insane. It's a $400 motherboard.

As for the memory, don't worry about that. It's all fine.
Waiting forever for the Arc Mini R2 case to come out has kind of ruined my plans of just going with an Ivy Bridge setup instead of Haswell, but ohwell. Better get to it now before I wait myself onto next year. Would appreciate some advice as I really haven't had the same amount of time as I normally do for my own research.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VI GENE Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($209.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($173.58 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($509.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($109.58 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1475.08
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-22 07:18 EST-0500)

Purpose: Gaming and general use. 1080p max for now, but really hoping to get a good >60hz monitor sometime. That FG2421 is looking nice if it becomes more readily available.

Think I missed out on the 4770k from Microcenter as they have been out of stock at the one near me for a few days now. Replacing a 1.5tb hard drive that is on it's way out with the 2 Blues I have there. Haven't really gone though the best prices there other then knowing that I'll be getting the CPU/Motherboard from Microcenter, and then will get everything else I can from amazon for their return policy with leftovers though newegg.

Things I am unsure of; If I should just get the 4770k anyway even if I can't get it at the reduced price. Money isn't that big of an issue but I wouldn't want to needlessly waste it since the only thing I will ever use the computer for is gaming. Either way I hope to get a decent overclock and may eventually delid. As for the video card, not sure if I should try to wait around for non reference R290s to come out so trying to go for the best of the 580s. Can't get the MSI Lightning since I know the D14 is already close to the first pcie slot, and the big deal sticking off the back of that card would interfere. Thinking about the just released "GHZ" version of that gigabyte card I have in there, but it is also another $40 and has a back plate that may or may not get in the way.

And then the noticeable omission, a PSU. Just really unsure about this. Which of the Corsair PSUs are from which manufacturer, and which have reported coil whine? Was looking hard at the AX series but really don't know if I should aim lower for less cost/just get a Seasonic unit directly, like the SS-750KM3 or M12II series. Would like a modular unit with all the connections on one half of that side so that I can fit a fan in on the bottom mount in the case I have chosen if I decide to (if that makes any sense). Thanks for any and all feedback.
I'd recommend the Gigabyte Sniper M5 over the Gene, honestly. Better onboard sound, better BIOS, Killer NIC. I've been loving mine. I even have my 4770K at 4.5GHz without a delid. Granted, it's under an EK Supremacy block.

The Noctua is quite pricey, and gigantic. You know that though. I personally prefer the AIO water units like the Kraken, H series, Seidon, etc.

The Corsair PSU's that are Seasonic are the AX (non i) series. Those that are 760W+ begin to have more and more reports of coil while. The AX (i) series are Flextronics, but are very highly regarded. They have no reports of coil whine.

To me, the only major benefit of getting the Corsair PSUs are the individually braided cables if that's your kind of thing. If it isn't, then there's no other reason to really get one over a Coolermaster V series, XFX Pro series, or just straight Seasonic.

So here's what i just put together, price is pretty much what i wanted to go for. Feel free to comment, mostly on the video card, i had no idea what to pick...

So beside gaming in 1080p for now anyways, what i want to do, some streaming and also i will probably do some rendering (video and 3D) for my girlfriend seeing that this build will be better then her current computer.

I was wondering i'd like to add a 2nd fan on the CPU cooler, does it come with brackets to hold 2 fans? If not where can i buy some?

Thanks!

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/26zzD

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Amazon Canada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.79 @ DirectCanada)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($5.85 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($134.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($126.48 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($186.34 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($354.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $1358.41
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-22 12:02 EST-0500)

INSANE DEAL OF THE DAY

Toshiba 512GB Q Series SSD for $300

Think about going ITX?

In either case, best 1155 mATX board is the Maximus V Gene if you can find it anywhere. Otherwise, the P8Z77-M is good. As is the Gigabyte Z77MX-D3H.

Thanks for that. I'm going to give those a look. I never gave ITX a thought really. Any big pros on why I should look at them? The case I'm getting is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163179&Tpk=silverstone gd06 So I can really go either direction.

Tantric

NoRéN;90866513 said:
If you are not willing to invest in a 512gb ssd, then just wait for the Toshiba 256gb ssd. It was $150 last week and it will probably be on sale again. Better ssd.

What makes the Toshiba good? I'm not seeing them pop up on the usual review sites I check.

NoRéN

What makes the Toshiba good? I'm not seeing them pop up on the usual review sites I check.

Write speeds are pretty on par actually. But the transcend did take slightly longer to boot than my sandisk extreme.

Price per gb is good. Still, I don't understand why people can shell out so much for other components but will still stick to regular hds. a 512gb ssd for $300 is a hell of a deal.

CzarTim

Are people using SSDs primarily for operating system and basic programs or is it for games as well? I had one years ago but it was small and I found it cumbersome to manage storage.

NoRéN

Are people using SSDs primarily for operating system and basic programs or is it for games as well? I had one years ago but it was small and I found it cumbersome to manage storage.

I use them as complete storage. Can't go back to regular HDs now.

Prices are low enough now that you can get 120gb for under $100, 256gb for around $150.

I have an 80 GB, a 120GB SSD and a 1TB HDD. My Windows installation is on the 80GB and there is plenty of space for 2 or 3 relatively large games. The 120 GB drive is completely dedicated to game installs. It does make load times significantly better in most games. Battlefield especially.

All my games that i play often (only have 128gb SSD) are on my SSD, load time for everything, game included, are sooo much faster.

All my videos pictures, music, are on a regular HDD

CzarTim

NoRéN;90869594 said:
I use them as complete storage. Can't go back to regular HDs now.

Prices are low enough now that you can get 120gb for under $100, 256gb for around $150.
I have an 80 GB, a 120GB SSD and a 1TB HDD. My Windows installation is on the 80GB and I there is plenty of space for 2 or 3 relatively large games. The 120 GB drive is completely dedicated to game installs. It does make load times significantly better in most games. Battlefield especially.
All my games that i play often (only have 128gb SSD) are on my SSD, load time for everything, game included, are sooo much faster.

All my videos pictures, music, are on a regular HDD

Thanks, guys. I might hold out for the 500 GB to come down in price a bit, but it's real tempting.

NoRéN

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-cables-_-na-_-na&Item=N82E16820231519&cm_sp=

2133MHz G Skill 2x4 RAM, $52.99. Worth it? The CAS latency seems high, but I've heard people say it doesn't make much of a difference.

Someone pointed out the voltage to me. OP recommends 1.35 and 1.5v.

What are your guys thoughts on the Kingston HyperX 3K 120 GB SATA III 2.5-Inch 6.0 Gb/s Solid State Drive SH103S3/120G for $88.84?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007R67FNA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'm looking for a cheap SSD to add to this computer I'm building for my nephew. Should I jump on this deal?

120gb is what you are going with? If so, yeah. Good price for a good drive. Reliable in my experience.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-cables-_-na-_-na&Item=N82E16820231519&cm_sp=

2133MHz G Skill 2x4 RAM, $52.99. Worth it? The CAS latency seems high, but I've heard people say it doesn't make much of a difference.

thats all latency gskill offers for 2133mhz:

z5PUerE.png

NoRéN;90870923 said:
Someone pointed out the voltage to me. OP recommends 1.35 and 1.5v.

1.6v
http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-17000cl11d-8gbsr

at this speed gskill offers 1.6 and 1.65v only

Man, it's been a long time since I've built a computer for someone else. My nephew has a certain budget in mind, but it's hard as hell for me to not get greedy, exceed the budget and just end up saying, "Well, here's more than you asked for. I'll cover the rest of it. Merry Christmas!"

He plays League of Legends and some other low spec games on Steam since his laptop couldn't handle much else, but his laptop got stolen a few weeks ago. I felt it was time to open up his PC gaming world and teach him how to build his own desktop and now he's fully on-board with the idea.

mkenyon

Banned
Can we make a thread specifically for tech deals? I feel like that would be really well received.
Sure, go for it!
Man, it's been a long time since I've built a computer for someone else. My nephew has a certain budget in mind, but it's hard as hell for me to not get greedy, exceed the budget and just end up saying, "Well, here's more than you asked for. I'll cover the rest of it. Merry Christmas!"

He plays League of Legends and some other low spec games on Steam since his laptop couldn't handle much else, but his laptop got stolen a few weeks ago. I felt it was time to open up his PC gaming world and teach him how to build his own desktop and now he's fully on-board with the idea.
I honestly have more fun building a machine and getting it OC'd and setup right for someone else than I do myself. Tis the season of giving!

these are current screenshots are from my friend's PC, the one who convinced me that 8GB RAM isn't enough and i should go up to 16GB:

Untitled_zps991f5e71.png

Untitled_zps1a5b6d0d.png

as everyone here adviced me, i'll go with 8, but i post this so you can understands why i was aiming for 16gb

jfoul

I went to Micro Center this morning as a spur of the moment thing with my girlfriend. I walked out the door with an i7 4770k & MSI Z87I for $307 plus a $10 MSI rebate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom