• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRS

If my GPU isn't repairable, would a GTX 770 be bottlenecked from my current rig? Also, would I get more value (per dollar) from a 770 than I would from a 780?

Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V LGA 1155
CPU: i7 3770k
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB

Irobot82

Microcenter gets you in store with the Mobo+CPU combo deals, and then makes it back on everything else.

Unless you only buy the mobo+cpu :p

If my GPU isn't repairable, would a GTX 770 be bottlenecked from my current rig? Also, would I get more value (per dollar) from a 770 than I would from a 780?

Tech Report has a great value scatter plot..

http://techreport.com/review/25611/nvidia-geforce-gtx-780-ti-graphics-card-reviewed/12

mkenyon

Banned

Bottlenecks aren't an either/or thing. It's more engine dependent. Short answer is no.

A 780 is not 25% more powerful than a 770, so no on the value for $. But, I think that margin will grow a bit over the next two years to where it *might* be.

It's kind of like the 7970. Back when the 670 launched, they were pretty much neck and neck, with the 670 actually a bit better. The 7970's much more powerful core hardware was really boosted, and does comparatively better in newer games to where it's really on par with the 680/770. Despite the 7970 seeming to be the worse card, I always suggested it over the 670 for that reason.

$500 is a lot of money for some folks though.

With all of that said, the 280x is the best value in video cards right now, the 290 behind that.

RedSwirl

Microcenter gets you in store with the Mobo+CPU combo deals, and then makes it back on everything else.

That's what I felt like was happening. As soon as I asked about the CPU the first thing the dude in the store mentioned was the combo deal. But no, I think I'm just gonna get that CPU from there, maybe the PSU, and then everything else from Amazon.

thespot84

putting together something with an 4770k i picked up with that microcenter deal and I cannot decide if the 770 is worth the money over the 760. I'm looking for something that'll give me good performace at 1080 for 4-5 years I suppose, and will shred BF4 now. Worth it?

CRS

Thanks for the replies guys!

The two main factors behind my next card is longevity (with future games and actual hardware life) and value with the former being a bit more important. I don't mind spending a bit as long as I know I'll be okay for the next two maybe three years.

I understand that "okay" is subjective in this case so basically I'm hoping to run games at least on high and very high when I can.

So would the 7970 fit my criteria or would I safe-proof myself a bit if I get a 780 or 290?

Thanks for all the help so far.

You're paying for more power phases but it's not worth the extra money.

this is it then
i'm sticking with it, tho honestly some 1* reviews in newegg replied a lot of DOA , the idea of importing is really scary
lets hope for the best

thank you for support :)

i really enjoyed my time here, but i wont stop posting until the pieces arrives , so bear with me, all of you :p

mkenyon

Banned
While I definitely agree for a good number of people, I know quite a few that just do not care about how loud their PC is. Tolerance of noise is subjective, performance isn't!

kharma45

this is it then
i'm sticking with it, tho honestly some 1* reviews in newegg replied a lot of DOA , the idea of importing is really scary
lets hope for the best

thank you for support :)

i really enjoyed my time here, but i wont stop posting until the pieces arrives , so bear with me, all of you :p

Any mobo can be DOA, none are immune from it. Look at reviews for other boards that sell in high volumes, the number of 1* reviews is pretty similar.

While I definitely agree for a good number of people, I know quite a few that just do not care about how loud their PC is. Tolerance of noise is subjective, performance isn't!

I've not listened to the new reference cooler, only read about it, but if it's anything like the previous one I just couldn't recommend it, it's just awfully loud.

CRS

I can deal with noise but looked up some videos for the 290 and that's a too much, even for me.

Leaning towards the 780 but split between this 280x and this 780.

Side note for the 780: Any difference in cooling with this 780?

kharma45

I can deal with noise but looked up some videos for the 290 and that's a too much, even for me.

Leaning towards the 780 but split between this 280x and this 780.

Side note for the 780: Any difference in cooling with this 780?

That second 780 is a reference model. Good cooler but I'd prefer the EVGA ACX one.

As for the 280X, MSI is nice but this Sapphire is still a solid cooler and you get BF4 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202061. Of course you might not care about BF4 but it's a nice freebie that hasn't been added to most cards yet. Only this and the XFX have it.

Thorgal

I would like an opinion whether or not this is considered a good road map for my upgrade plan:

I buy a 780 TI with 6GB as soon as those are out Along with a new PSU that is wholly overkill for one card (800 w ).

Then next year Buy a second one to run in SLI. (unless a card comes out by then who is stronger then both combined and at a reasonable price )

What do you think ?

RedSwirl

The 280x would be what you want to look at as a baseline, IMO. Then 290 or 780. The 290 is quite loud though, which sucks.

I think 760 is the highest I'm gonna be able to going right now with my projected budget. I already know I'm probably gonna have to upgrade my GPU again in a couple years or so. I'll be satisfied right now if I can get 1080p with a lot of the games that came out in the last couple years. The only really demanding game I expect to buy next year is Witcher 3.

golem

Looks good, any issues with it? Might be my next case. I'm done with ATX and the heavy cases that it comes with.

Its a great case. If there were bigger PSUs for the FT03 Mini I would have considered that. You'll have to do some cutting if you're thinking about fitting radiators in the case like mine.. otherwise the only recommendation I have would be just to do the motherboard and PSU wiring first, makes things alot easier (cramped in there)

M3z_

I think 760 is the highest I'm gonna be able to going right now with my projected budget. I already know I'm probably gonna have to upgrade my GPU again in a couple years or so. I'll be satisfied right now if I can get 1080p with a lot of the games that came out in the last couple years. The only really demanding game I expect to buy next year is Witcher 3.

You could wait for black friday and watch what the 7970's are going for. If the $250 area is your gfx budget the 7970's have been around that price a few times at newegg as they try to empty stock and a 7970 would blow a gtx 760 out of the water especially ifyou overclocked it.

RedSwirl

You could wait for black friday and watch what the 7970's are going for. If the $250 area is your gfx budget the 7970's have been around that price a few times at newegg as they try to empty stock and a 7970 would blow a gtx 760 out of the water especially ifyou overclocked it.

What's a 760 equivalent to in AMD terms anyway?

And how's the 7970 compare in terms of wattage requirements?

Edit: Actually, my entire budget right now is non-Black Friday prices. So I have no idea how that's gonna affect things.

kharma45

What's a 760 equivalent to in AMD terms anyway?

And how's the 7970 compare in terms of wattage requirements?

Edit: Actually, my entire budget right now is non-Black Friday prices. So I have no idea how that's gonna affect things.

760 is competing with the 7950, whilst it's still around.

mkenyon

Banned
Probably won't change very much. Black Friday PC deals are generally meh.
I only recommended the 280x to CRS because of the BF4 requirement.

CRS, for what it's worth, I'm currently using a 7970 Matrix @ 1200MHz, and I'm able to get 100-150 fps in BF4 with a number of settings turned down. Did a bit of singleplayer to turn the eye candy up, and it was still well above 60 fps min.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Got overclock fiddling again, reading this from the op, and realised I can sit my CPU on 4.9GHz (originally OC'd @ 4.3GHz) by enabling PLL Overvoltage, which the guide recommends for getting clocks over 4.7GHz stable.

Temps are surprisingly fine. Little high on Prime95, but that's the extreme end. Gaming is very much doable. Catch is...the VCore. I really have to throw a pretty insane voltage through to get 4.9GHz stable. Like, 1.490v crazy.

According to the guide the recommended max VCore is 1.50v, so I'm flying pretty close to the sun. I don't really know how badly a VCore of 1.490v will degrade my Sandy Bridge though, so I guess that's what I'm asking.

Monitoring with CPU-Z, the reported core voltage fluctuates all over the place. Sometimes as low as 1.475v, sometimes as high as 1.512v. But I think inconsistency is normal.

EDIT: Actually, fuck it. That VCore and extra heat is absolutely not worth it when the performance gains in video games are almost quite literally 0%. There's really nothing I know of, at least that I play, that's so CPU heavy an additional 600MHz makes a big difference. Almost everything is GPU bound, and a 770 GTX in combination with 4.3GHz CPU is all I need for the time being.

Tim-E

This is the build that I believe I am going to buy and I wanted to run it by the community to see what others thought as I have been out of the hardware scene for some time. I wouldn't feel comfortable going any higher budget-wise.

Case: Silverstone SG10B
Storage: Seagate SV35 1TB
Graphics: GTX 660
PSU: Rosewill RD600 600W
Motherboard: ASRock Z77M LGA 1155
Processor: Intel i5 3350p

This is the build that I believe I am going to buy and I wanted to run it by the community to see what others thought as I have been out of the hardware scene for some time. I wouldn't feel comfortable going any higher budget-wise.

Might be a good idea to list the prices you're paying for everything or what your budget is.

NoRéN

with that motherboard you might as well spend the extra $20 for the k cpu.

mkenyon

Banned
Got overclock fiddling again, reading this from the op, and realised I can sit my CPU on 4.9GHz (originally OC'd @ 4.3GHz) by enabling PLL Overvoltage, which the guide recommends for getting clocks over 4.7GHz stable.

Temps are surprisingly fine. Little high on Prime95, but that's the extreme end. Gaming is very much doable. Catch is...the VCore. I really have to throw a pretty insane voltage through to get 4.9GHz stable. Like, 1.490v crazy.

According to the guide the recommended max VCore is 1.50v, so I'm flying pretty close to the sun. I don't really know how badly a VCore of 1.490v will degrade my Sandy Bridge though, so I guess that's what I'm asking.

Monitoring with CPU-Z, the reported core voltage fluctuates all over the place. Sometimes as low as 1.475v, sometimes as high as 1.512v. But I think inconsistency is normal.

EDIT: Actually, fuck it. That VCore and extra heat is absolutely not worth it when the performance gains in video games are almost quite literally 0%. There's really nothing I know of, at least that I play, that's so CPU heavy an additional 600MHz makes a big difference. Almost everything is GPU bound, and a 770 GTX in combination with 4.3GHz CPU is all I need for the time being.
If you mostly play SP games, this is true.

MP games are a totally different beast though. I'll elaborate if you'd like, but the tl;dr is that you can significantly reduce chops and slowdowns when intense action occurs significantly with OC'ing.

Grumbul

If you mostly play SP games, this is true.

MP games are a totally different beast though. I'll elaborate if you'd like, but the tl;dr is that you can significantly reduce chops and slowdowns when intense action occurs significantly with OC'ing.

I'd love to hear some elaboration on this mkenyon as I wasn't aware of the significance of the sp/mp variable.

Banjoman

My Corsair GS600 PSU has become too noisy and I probably need to change it, what should I buy as a replacement? It needs to be quiet and affordable (<100€)
My config is as follows:
-Intel i5-2500k
-Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3
-VTX3D Radeon HD6870 1GB
-RAM G.Skill Ripjaws-X 1600MHz 4GB&#65279;

Kingbrave

I'm thinking of getting a 280x. It's calling my name. Pull the trigger Kingbrave, pull the trigger! I've spent more on pc stuff this last month than I have in a looooong time. I have a problem.

Hello, my name is Kingbrave and I like taking shit apart and putting new shit in the old shits spot.

CRS

As I was looking up video cards, I completely forgot about water cooling my 580 since overheating is the issue.

I've always wanted to water cool my rig so now I have a reason to. That way, if everything turns out to be working fine, I can get some more life out of the card and wait until the next year's event cards come out.

Any recommendations for water cooling setups? Would complete kits be okay since I'm new with water cooling or would picking each part be better in the long run?

Opiate

The big downside to the FT03 is that a number of heatpipe based GPU coolers that people love (ASUS DCuII, MSI Twin Frozr) don't work well with the 90 degree rotated MB orientation.

Cable management is a bitch too.

The Silverstone SG10 is even smaller, a bit less expensive, but is a bit more crammed. Still, overall it's a better design. The Fractal Arc/Define Mini R2's are both great too. Same with the Corsair 350D, though it's basically small-mid-tower in size.

Hm, this could be a major issue. What 780s are not running on piping? I was looking at the ASUS model but it clearly is. It looks like EVGA's ACX cooler modell, at the very least, also is. What would you recommend if I went with the FT03 fortress?

Aranath

I'm looking at picking up a couple of SSDs for my folks' laptops for Christmas. I've been considering the M500, given the great performance I've had from my M4. But how does the Sandusk Ultra Plus compare to the Corsair M500? The Sandisk is a tad cheaper and seems to have much better performace. I'm just concerned about reliability.

XFX ProSeries 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply 99$
or
EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply 85$

Never really heard anything about EVGA and power supply, should i pay a bit more for XFX?

The product manager for EVGA posted on the overclock.net forums that the EVGA 780ti Classified will be available in the first week of December, a few days later on sites like Amazon,Newegg, etc. At least now I have a general idea of when to watch out for it.

Edit: I'll probably do an unboxing on Twitch, if anyone is interested.

Banjoman

Where do you live and what's your preferred retailer?
Italy. I usually buy from Amazon.it and local stores such as e-key.it and bpm-power.com. I can also buy from the other european Amazons but I'd have to consider shipping expenses.
Feel free to suggest other retailers though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom