• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azulsky

these are current screenshots are from my friend's PC, the one who convinced me that 8GB RAM isn't enough and i should go up to 16GB:

Untitled_zps991f5e71.png

Untitled_zps1a5b6d0d.png

as everyone here adviced me, i'll go with 8, but i post this so you can understands why i was aiming for 16gb

Seriously how many Chrome tabs did he have open.

But realistically 16GB is fine if you arent compromising another part of your system to buy it.

Clott

CPU: Intel Core i7-4930K Ivy Bridge 6-Core
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK 140mm
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance LP 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1866
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO-Series 1TB X2 (two drives) And some 4TB mechanical drives.
Video Card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti Superclocked 3GB 384-bit GDDR5
Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 1200W
Optical Drive: LG Black Blu-Ray read and write
Operating System: Win 7 64 Ultimate
Mouse: Logitech G400s
Screen: Overlord Tempest
Total: Ouchhhh

I was so lucky with ordering the card, it became available last night while building the rest of the PC. I am fully aware that some of the PC might be overkill like the ram and the power supply, but I would not have built this if it were just to play prettier games, I will be editing a film on this in the coming weeks and it was much better investment than buying time in an editing suite.

As for Overclocking I hope I can get the CPU to 4.5 with that beastly cooler, as I also invested in better fans than the ones the case comes with, so I my hope is to marry a cool temperature while keeping things very quiet.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4930K Ivy Bridge 6-Core
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK 140mm
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance LP 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1866
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO-Series 1TB X2 (two drives) And some 4TB mechanical drives.
Video Card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti Superclocked 3GB 384-bit GDDR5
Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 1200W
Optical Drive: LG Black Blu-Ray read and write
Operating System: Win 7 64 Ultimate
Mouse: Logitech G400s
Screen: Overlord Tempest
Total: Ouchhhh

I was so lucky with ordering the card, it became available last night while building the rest of the PC. I am fully aware that some of the PC might be overkill like the ram and the power supply, but I would not have built this if it were just to play prettier games, I will be editing a film on this in the coming weeks and it was much better investment than buying time in an editing suite.

As for Overclocking I hope I can get the CPU to 4.5 with that beastly cooler, as I also invested in better fans than the ones the case comes with, so I my hope is to marry a cool temperature while keeping things very quiet.
Goddamn. That is one ridiculous system.

these are current screenshots are from my friend's PC, the one who convinced me that 8GB RAM isn't enough and i should go up to 16GB:

Untitled_zps991f5e71.png

Untitled_zps1a5b6d0d.png

as everyone here adviced me, i'll go with 8, but i post this so you can understands why i was aiming for 16gb

I guess it depends on how many videos you want to have playing in Chrome simultaneously while your playing your game.

Seriously, that's a lot of really heavy Chrome tabs open at one time while playing a game.

haven't overclocked a cpu in years, forgot about everything... but i did plan my current build for that.

hyper 212 plus fan
AS Rock LGA1155 z77 mobo

whats a good resource/guide i should look at?

Quick q: when a deal has a rebate attached to it, what form does that come in? Is it money credited back to your card? Or is it in the form of credit with the seller/a gift card? Or does it vary? I've seen some specifically mention a rebate card, but some simply say mail-in rebate, and I want no business juggling gift cards that won't come in til long after I intend to have all my parts purchased.

NoRéN

Can we make a thread specifically for tech deals? I feel like that would be really well received.
I would subscribe to that!
Quick q: when a deal has a rebate attached to it, what form does that come in? Is it money credited back to your card? Or is it in the form of credit with the seller/a gift card? Or does it vary? I've seen some specifically mention a rebate card, but some simply say mail-in rebate, and I want no business juggling gift cards that won't come in til long after I intend to have all my parts purchased.

Depends. Normally it's a visa prepaid gift card. It should state in the rebate form. They will take a while unless they offer some form of expedite process normally at a cost(MSI).

This is why I don't like to take rebates into consideration of actual cost.

Irobot82

Sure, go for it!

I honestly have more fun building a machine and getting it OC'd and setup right for someone else than I do myself. Tis the season of giving!

Look who's back!

I also love building and tweaking for friends as much as I do for my own machine.

mkenyon

Banned
nope, they don't.

It's uefi (replacement for bios) that has mouse support.

bios is quite dead, actually. though, uefi does have a bios emulation module.
Though this is true, everyone still calls it BIOS. From reviewers, to the manufacturers themselves.

FoxSpirit

Okay, posting from my updated PC. Everything went pretty smooth, a finicky contact on the soundcard aside. Had to pull out the box again, argh.

Also, IDE. My CD-ROM suddenly useless. Had to go to a fiends to borrow his USB2 CD-ROM. Ahem.

Installing WIndows, Kaspersky and the mobo drivers took around 30 minutes, updating from the age old Windows 7 (say 1) install CD on the other hand took AGES. Holy shit.
I already tried Intel Burn test, hit 82° on Haswell i7-4470k non-oc. Not bad for a first test.

Boot is under 30 seconds I think, login included.
My only problem is that explorer doesn't show to of my harddiscs, will have to check into that tomorrow since Windows actually does see them.

---

Performance is slick as hell, coming from my Core-2Duo E4400 2.0Ghz@2.8. Also, man is my PC quiet now. Like a whispering willow. Almost irritating. The CM 220 Evo is doing a damn fine job, idling my cores at 32°-36°C.

Good god, twitch streams look so smooth now and I can finally select source resolution for the streams. Awesome. Currently downloading League for a test play.

====
EDIT: QUESTION:

Should I avoid installing Firefox on my OS SSD since it generates a lot of write when surfing, right?? Or should I only move the pagefile location and that's enough?

mkenyon

Banned
You'll need to add your old HDDs in Disk Management.

Don't worry about Firefox on the SSD. SSDs are a lot more resilient than a lot of people originally thought. Check out TechReport's coverage of long term testing.

Honestly from all I've read any SSD made in the last year or so you really shouln't have to worry about longevity with regards to read/write operations. You'd have to have an insane load 24/7 for several years I think before you'd see significant performance losses.

mkenyon

Banned
Can I replace the H80i fans? If so, which are recommended?

Also, best fans for case airflow?
The H80i fans are actually quite good. You can replace them if you'd like, but to get better, you'd need to spend about $15/fan.

Best fans for case airflow are dependent upon restriction. Buuuuut, the Corsair AF 120 Quiet Editions are good.
can someone explain the availability of this feature to me?

"Support for X-Fi Xtreme Fidelity and EAX Advanced HD 5.0 technologies"
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4483

i compared this mobo with UD3H & UD4H" , all have the same sound card: Realtek ALC898 codec

so how come this one supporting this feature?

noob will die in 3..2...1...
I'm not sure why that one is, while others don't, but it is basically virtualized surround software.

zoku88

Though this is true, everyone still calls it BIOS. From reviewers, to the manufacturers themselves.
I know and it really annoys me. Especially when people say uefi bios. Though, I'm easily annoyed.

I think it leads to confusion, though. Like when people think that motherboards come with both uefi and bios and think that they're switching between them, when in reality they're just switching between two boot modes of uefi.

And people seem kind of confused about uefi in general. The requirements (some people think uefi requires secure boot) and what it does in general.

But I'm mostly dislike this because of my general dislike for bios in general. I'm happy it's practically dead. Such a bad system for modern computers.

mkenyon

Banned
Or just set the fan in UEFI (commonly referred to as BIOS, despite it being different) not to exceed X RPM level.

Thats for you Zoku

~Kinggi~

Banned
So......got a new computer.

Its a 4770. When i run prime95 blend test, temps spike to around 84c which is the hottest ive ever seen a cpu get. After ending the test temps drop down to 44c fairly quickly and hten idle around 35-40c. I have a coolermaster cooler on it. What the fuck is this normal?

Anton668

if anybody happens to come across a hella good sale on a 550ish watt (at least) semi modular PSU in the coming sales, lemme know kthx!

Got my new PC parts today, now it's

GTX 78Ti
i7-4770k
16GB RAM
Corsair AX860 W PSU

Except that is what I should be rocking except the new motherboard I got gave me issues and kept crashing and windows boot and restarting over and over. So I have to revert back to my 3570k until I figure out how to fix it

I have the Gigabyte G1 Sniper M5 Z87, and it's a great board. If the Sniper 5 (not M5) is for $160, that would be insane. It's a $400 motherboard.

As for the memory, don't worry about that. It's all fine.

I'd recommend the Gigabyte Sniper M5 over the Gene, honestly. Better onboard sound, better BIOS, Killer NIC. I've been loving mine. I even have my 4770K at 4.5GHz without a delid. Granted, it's under an EK Supremacy block.

The Noctua is quite pricey, and gigantic. You know that though. I personally prefer the AIO water units like the Kraken, H series, Seidon, etc.

The Corsair PSU's that are Seasonic are the AX (non i) series. Those that are 760W+ begin to have more and more reports of coil while. The AX (i) series are Flextronics, but are very highly regarded. They have no reports of coil whine.

To me, the only major benefit of getting the Corsair PSUs are the individually braided cables if that's your kind of thing. If it isn't, then there's no other reason to really get one over a Coolermaster V series, XFX Pro series, or just straight Seasonic.

Bah, making it harder on me. Didn't even think about the sniper since Microcenter doesn't seem to carry them. Well and the color, but I know I shouldn't care about that. And yeah, I know I'm still overly attached to the D14. Just really prefer air cooling still, even if the closed loop stuff is just as simple and can have better performance. Least I'm not obsessed with the Silver Arrow since I know for sure it will flat out go over into the first pci-e slot in most matx motherboards.

Not gonna lie, the reason why I was looking at the Corsair was the braided cables, but I really shouldn't care about that either though. Either way, think I would be good with a 650 since I never plan on going sli? Normally just aim high for psu so what I assume I need is a little off. Thanks for the response.

mkenyon

Banned
Single GPU? Yeah, 650 is likely going to be plenty unless you see an enthusiast socket in your future.

The single braided cables are really nice. When you have a tidy rig all done up, just feels like it performs better, right? :p

As for the color, it's not intrusive once you get some parts in there. Quick and dirty shot of mine in its transient state (waiting on custom cables, going to delid the 4770K, GTX 780)

You could even just paint those two strips of green on the heatsinks, and you wouldn't even know there was green on the board. The green LED along the audio can also be disabled in UEFI.

I'll admit though, I love the green.
as for SNIPER mobo, is it true that this set comes with it and have to installed manually ?

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4724

if so, how much would it affect the experience with/without it ??
Those are different OP-Amps that you can swap in if you want. It comes with one already installed. You literally just pull it out with pliers they provide and put in a new one. They each have very slight different characteristics. You wouldn't be able to tell a difference without a serious set of cans though.

But really, unless you're planning on 3+ way SLI, there's no reason to go with the Sniper 5 over the M5. The PLX chip is really the only major benefit to that board. You get all the other cool stuff on the M5 - Core3D chip, Killer NIC, sweet UEFI. With Haswell OC'ing being what it is, you don't even get a benefit out of the superior Phase control.

Single GPU? Yeah, 650 is likely going to be plenty unless you see an enthusiast socket in your future.

The single braided cables are really nice. When you have a tidy rig all done up, just feels like it performs better, right? :p

As for the color, it's not intrusive once you get some parts in there. Quick and dirty shot of mine in its transient state (waiting on custom cables, going to delid the 4770K, GTX 780)

Yeah, no enthusiast socket, just a 780 and maybe 4770k tops for a few years till I feel the need to upgrade again. Braided cables do look nice, but I normally never get windowed cases, and really would rather not so it doesn't matter much. No non window option for the Arc Mini R2. Reason why I'm giving it any thought at all.

In relation to the color of the MB, something else you could have pointed out is how since I'm heading to a D14, it's not like I'll see much of it anyway. Sound doesn't mater as much to me in the mb selection since I'll be using my own headphone dac/amp anyway. The better NIC and bios does interest me though so will have to look into it.

mkenyon

Banned
It does have a USB header that is on a separate power rail to isolate random noise, specifically for use with DACs. I have no idea if it works as advertised, but it sounds neat.

The 212 Evo does not list the 1150 socket type in its specifications on newegg. You sure?

uoxWAMv.png

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=3053&product_name=Hyper 212 EVO

Those are different OP-Amps that you can swap in if you want. It comes with one already installed. You literally just pull it out with pliers they provide and put in a new one. They each have very slight different characteristics. You wouldn't be able to tell a difference without a serious set of cans though.

But really, unless you're planning on 3+ way SLI, there's no reason to go with the Sniper 5 over the M5. The PLX chip is really the only major benefit to that board. You get all the other cool stuff on the M5 - Core3D chip, Killer NIC, sweet UEFI. With Haswell OC'ing being what it is, you don't even get a benefit out of the superior Phase control.

thanks for saving my $130 for this unnecessary upgrade
the difference between the deal price -$320- on sniper and my place's price -$563- is $243, but after all it's too much for me as a performance and as a price

now it's between UD4H and UD5H
i'm believe 5H is unnecessary upgrade for an extra fan connector and dual lan ports, unless that feature of sound card verified, 4H is less by $10 with a VGA port and non of the ringing names above + cooler look -red & black to match my haf x- :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom