• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

riflen

Do not use EK nickel with silver coil. I know there is a lot of debate and science discussion online about wether it does or does not matter but I can say from first hand experience having nickel, copper and silver coil with deionized water completely ruined my EK blocks. Stick with all copper or don't use silver. I'm now running EK nickel with biocides and no silver now and have no issues

I had read similar stories about silver coils, so I didn't take the risk. I have nickel-plated and bare copper components in my loop and I use biocide in the coolant. I don't use a coil. So far I've not had any issues, but the loop is only 6 months old.

riflen

Quick question. Got 2 cards in my hand.. EVGA 780 Superclocked and not superclocked.. I guess it just means one has been OC'd. Should I choose one over the other? I'm not OC'ing anything else in my build and want stability.

Pure judgement call. EVGA cards are always good in my experience and they have a great warranty. The Superclocked card will be ~10% overclocked by EVGA and guaranteed stable.

Depending on the silicon lottery, you may or may not be able to overclock the plain 780 to the same level yourself, but there is no guarantee.

first off, the question is a bit vague. Without more info, one could answer - a $400 or so custom water loop.

so, is there a budget? arent you the one who continually asks about pre-builts? has something changed on that front? I ask because some cases lend themselves better to water cooling than others. remember, you asked for "the best" so that opens up the field quite a bit.

pretty much, is there a budget? what case is it going into? closed loop or custom? more info would be much more helpful.
My apologies.

At least a $50-99 fan and that may work/fit in either a Asus M51 or Dell XPS 8700 desktop.
Technically yes. There is water in the copper tubes.

And flying manga - we would need to know what case it is going into because not every cooler fits in every case.
If a nice air cooler that can fit and works just as well would be good too, same price range. The more cheaper but better performance for the price the better.

There are so many brands and names. If I could learn about the best one for my needs, than that'll be great.

No over clocking for me. I'm stating away from that since I never did it before. Maybe in the future once I learn more about all this, I'll try to build one. But pre-built for now, those brands I mentioned above.

Thanks.

Stasis

Can't wait to build a new PC. Every 3 years, and that 3rd year is rapidly approaching.

When's the due date on the GTX 800-series? I haven't been in the loop much =/

Thorgal

VKur0uS.jpg

I so SO whished these where 6GB =(

Azulsky

I so SO whished these where 6GB =(

That is less important than it has been made out to be. The extra memory was never effectively used in the Titan for game rendering anyway. That was all for its double precision workloads.

At 1600p I dont notice the difference between FXAA and the other algos that will actually eat up the memory pool.

Also for this gen if you had something that could fill the mem then you were fps bottlenecked anyway.

On the other hand the 1ghz upgrade on the memory is a big deal compared to nilla 780.

They might still release a 6gb versions but this was what I could get with the EVGA step up contract and the signup came just as my window was ending

There is nothing I cannot play at Ultra so how can I complain

As far as 800 series it still looks like next Fall because anyone who is not Intel is having a real issue getting to 20nm. Nvidia has stated before that they want 20nm for Maxwell. If they were to go higher density with their die sizes you basically could not air cool it.

Thorgal

That is less important than it has been made out to be. The extra memory was never effectively used in the Titan for game rendering anyway. That was all for its double precision workloads.

At 1600p I dont notice the difference between FXAA and the other algos that will actually eat up the memory pool.

Also for this gen if you had something that could fill the mem then you were fps bottlenecked anyway.

On the other hand the 1ghz upgrade on the memory is a big deal compared to nilla 780.

They might still release a 6gb versions but this was what I could get with the EVGA step up contract and the signup came just as my window was ending

As i said a while ago i like to mod games (Skyrim . fallout (4 ?) rather heavily and when you are running multiple 4k resolution textures my 660 2 GB is not up to the task .

i would like to have as much breathing space on the memory as i can get.

Seanspeed

Banned

As far as 800 series it still looks like next Fall because anyone who is not Intel is having a real issue getting to 20nm. Nvidia has stated before that they want 20nm for Maxwell. If they were to go higher density with their die sizes you basically could not air cool it.
Amazing cards man. Very jealous.

But in terms of Maxwell, everything is still pointing to a Q1 release. It wont be 20nm to start with, but most sources seem to agree that the new architecture is coming sooner rather than later.

Azulsky

Amazing cards man. Very jealous.

But in terms of Maxwell, everything is still pointing to a Q1 release. It wont be 20nm to start with, but most sources seem to agree that the new architecture is coming sooner rather than later.

My general impression was that they would use gk110 for the mainstream cards and rebrand them while releasing a new Titan that would be the new arch card. Then follow up in the fall letting Maxwell into the 800 series. AKA the same timeline as this gen.

The current Titan was available in March of this year so it might line up that way if they repeat the schedule.

That card is gonna be a hot potato though.

ss_lemonade

Is ncix normally slow when it comes to shipping out items, or is this the effect of going with free shipping? I ordered a Ducky Shine 3 last weekend, got to the Order Processing step on Monday and well, its been stuck on Order Processing until now. I just want a new keyboard :(

Rootbeer

Banned
Hey guys, router died a horrible death. All I have left is my airport extreme and it sucks as a router. I need some suggestions, what are some of the best routers around? Needs to have latest-gen wireless

xJavonta

Banned
Anyone else find it impossible to find a good looking horizontal case that doesn't look like an AV receiver? I just wish we could but Valve's prototype Steam Machine case separately.

Edit: Maybe I should just build one (or get one built)

Ugh, I hate dealing with XFX support on this video card. Two weeks later they've finally confirmed that it's faulty, but I have no idea when they will be shipping me a new one and what address they're sending it to. Crappy time of year for it to happen.

mkenyon

Banned
My general impression was that they would use gk110 for the mainstream cards and rebrand them while releasing a new Titan that would be the new arch card. Then follow up in the fall letting Maxwell into the 800 series. AKA the same timeline as this gen.

The current Titan was available in March of this year so it might line up that way if they repeat the schedule.

That card is gonna be a hot potato though.
Eh. Not worth speculating on what NVIDIA is going to be doing. They're all over the board these days.
Can't wait to build a new PC. Every 3 years, and that 3rd year is rapidly approaching.

When's the due date on the GTX 800-series? I haven't been in the loop much =/
Probably sometime between late 2014 to mid 2015.
Anyone else find it impossible to find a good looking horizontal case that doesn't look like an AV receiver? I just wish we could but Valve's prototype Steam Machine case separately.

Edit: Maybe I should just build one (or get one built)
There's the ASRock M8, though the looks on that seem to be pretty divisive. It's also quite costly, but does include a PSU and mobo at least.

So I installed 8.1 on my Mac, via Boot Camp. Honestly, there's some nice improvements but I was stumbling around on it and it got frustrating. I suspect it'd be much easier to navigate on a regular mouse, but I'm set with 7 for now.

OSX has been so terrible and laggy for me after a few days up; totally sticking with Windows on my Macbook from now on.

Anyway, still in awe over here.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
So I may do a new build. Let's say I have all the extraneous stuff already (optical drive, hdd, windows license, keyboard, mouse, etc), so I'd only need a CPU+cooler, RAM, motherboard, psu+case (would like a new one) and gfx card. Could I get one capable of running all next gen console ports for $500?

Tablo

Hey guys, router died a horrible death. All I have left is my airport extreme and it sucks as a router. I need some suggestions, what are some of the best routers around? Needs to have latest-gen wireless

Bought a Netgear Nighthawk R7000, only router using the newer Broadcom 4709A chipset of the new crop of AC1900 routers. Works great, no complaints, using stock firmware. Have it paired with a Motorola SB6141 cable modem, and using it on gaming desktop with a Linksys WUSB6300 AC1200 adapter. Very nice indeed!

mkenyon

Banned
So I may do a new build. Let's say I have all the extraneous stuff already (optical drive, hdd, windows license, keyboard, mouse, etc), so I'd only need a CPU+cooler, RAM, motherboard, psu+case (would like a new one) and gfx card. Could I get one capable of running all next gen console ports for $500?
Capable of running them? Yeah. What's acceptable performance to you?

You'd be looking at the 'Standard' build in the OP.

kharma45

You'd be looking along the lines of this

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi Z87W ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($98.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($52.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 270 2GB Video Card ($183.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $531.93
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-12 19:33 EST-0500)

It'll run anything you throw at it, but it depends on what settings and quality you want.

xJavonta

Banned
Actually yes, I'm gonna have to look into this one more. Thanks

There's the ASRock M8, though the looks on that seem to be pretty divisive. It's also quite costly, but does include a PSU and mobo at least.

That's hot, but isn't horizontal is it?

Thanks for the suggestions guys. This will be like my third time I switch cases this year lol I need to stop

kharma45

1080 @ at least 30. Wouldn't be looking into supersampling. Would that run, say BF4 @ 1080/60?

The build I suggested up above is solid but it won't be a constant 1080/60 in BF4. You'll see some frame drops and probably bounce between the high 40s and near 60. It's the i3 that's the bottleneck as BF4 online needs a strong CPU. To go for an i5 you're talking nearer $600.

BF4 is also free with that GPU through Newegg btw.

Crazy, but also kind of a twat move from retailers by increasing price.

Missed opportunity by AMD to sell more but can't keep up with demand.

Lose lose for AMD and the consumer.

Can't blame them though if people are willing to pay through the nose for cards.

Chocobro

Probably sometime between late 2014 to mid 2015.
That sounds like a long wait for me.

Then this brings up a few questions that may have been discussed earlier:
1) EVGA GTX 760 w/ ACX or MSI GTX 760 TF?
2a) 2GB or 4GB for playing on 1080p? (which ties with 2b)
2b) How will 2GB hypothetically do in next-gen ports or games like Cyberpunk 2077, Witcher 3, The Division, Titanfall, Watch Dogs, etc.?

Slightly random thought: Maybe the 2GB will last me until a Maxwell GPU, but I'm unsure if it'll be enough for my brother and he might want something higher-end when he builds his PC.
Reposting for this page. The GPU is the only part I'm missing (minus a KB).

kharma45

Reposting for this page. The GPU is the only part I'm missing (minus a KB).

1. EVGA
2. 2GB is fine for 1080p at the present time with most titles unless you're modding them with user created textures.
3. It's a matter of waiting and finding out really, I'd imagine it'll be fine.

I'd imagine a 2GB card would tide you over until then, probably 10+ months until Maxwell hits and that's best case. I'm feeling a December launch for them but that's me just picking a guess out of the sky.

Also the EVGA is $10 cheaper here and comes with free games which Newegg isn't doing http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=EV-760DBAC&c=CJ

Is company of heroes poorly optimized on newer gpus? How come it runs at 60fps on high but on a lower rig it runs at 120fps?

My cousin is trying it out. Any fix?

Edit: he just tried on the lowest settings and getting the same framerate. Weird.

Chocobro

1. EVGA
2. 2GB is fine for 1080p at the present time with most titles unless you're modding them with user created textures.
3. It's a matter of waiting and finding out really, I'd imagine it'll be fine.

I'd imagine a 2GB card would tide you over until then, probably 10+ months until Maxwell hits and that's best case. I'm feeling a December launch for them but that's me just picking a guess out of the sky.

Also the EVGA is $10 cheaper here and comes with free games which Newegg isn't doing http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=EV-760DBAC&c=CJ

What about the EVGA one gives it the advantage over the MSI one?
And thank you for the link! I was pretty bummed about not buying a GPU earlier that comes with a bundle.

kharma45

What about the EVGA one gives it the advantage over the MSI one?
And thank you for the link! I was pretty bummed about not buying a GPU earlier that comes with a bundle.

Their warranty swings it for me. It's unlikely your card will go wrong but if it ever does you'll be glad of a good RMA service.

505zoom

Did my first build today, and everything is up and running. I am now trying to install XP onto it (which I will then upgrade to W7), but running into some problems with it.

Everything looks fine in the BIOS.

Insert install DVD into drive, restart, and it immediately starts loading files.

It then changes to "Setup is starting Windows", and I get a BSOD.

STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Any thoughts? I am running a Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD, and a WD Blue 1TB. After it failed the second time, I tried running JUST the SSD, and then JUST the HDD. Same issue with all 3 configs. :(

edit - Nevermind I got it. Changed SATA controller mode from AHCI to IDE and it is now working! :)

Welp, had a coworker bring his rig over the other day, and sure enough the GPU is dead, just a bad card. Didn't work in his mobo, and his gpu worked just fine in mine, even under stress. RIP GTX 770, 12/6/13 - 12/7/13. Luckily though being about a 6 month old card from initial release, it's still under warranty even though I bought used. Gonna brave the depths of RMA this weekend with the help of the original GAF seller. It's super disappointing though as the rest of the machine is functioning perfectly over the last week, even OC'd the 4770k to 4.3GHz no sweat the other day. But being incomplete I just can't bring myself to upload any proper pics yet. Guess I'll see you all again on the other end of this, 3-4 weeks from most estimates I've seen especially around the holidays *groan* As if the wait for this thing since the summer wasn't already long enough.

Chocobro

Their warranty swings it for me. It's unlikely your card will go wrong but if it ever does you'll be glad of a good RMA service.

Thanks again kharma! That seems to be the common response. My cousin only goes with EVGA and I've had a good experience with their 8800 GTS card so it looks like I'll stick with EVGA.
All parts purchased and I think it's good enough for me. Still need to figure out about my KB..mechanical KBs are pretty expensive and I'm not sure how the quality and longevity of the CM Storm QuickFire's.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $217.74)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For $76.49)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For $139.99)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (Purchased For $109.99)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (Purchased For $152.99)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $62.99)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card (Purchased For $262.48)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $74.99)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $64.99)
Total: $1162.65
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-12 21:09 EST-0500)

antonz

Crazy, but also kind of a twat move from retailers by increasing price.

Missed opportunity by AMD to sell more but can't keep up with demand.

Lose lose for AMD and the consumer.

I'm having to RMA my 290 to Newegg and it worries me because they don't have any in stock and if they try to refund me its going to fuck me over because of the 100 dollar price increase. If I want another one later when in stock id have to pay more.

mkenyon

Banned
Needs more zfz.pro photos as there never was a full photoshoot on ocn. Also needs a mk II with 3-way 780Ti gsync.
Still workin on it. Have some custom cables that should be coming in the next week.

Might put a 780 in there, but I have to admit, this Matrix 7970 is still doing everything I need. Such an amazing card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom