• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, you just want it on the left (assuming that you are looking at it with the power plugs on top). It's pretty clearly listed as JPWR2, whereas the other is JPWR3. You want it in JPWR2, and you do not need the other one even in the least bit.

*edit*

Yeah, you're golden. That's all you need.

great!
it's working
and i found out that my friend didn't plugin the frontal fan , and the GPU size is wide that it's touching the side fan cover from the inside tho it's full tower -haf-x!

thank you

now i'm going to adjust settings on bios and install windows 8, i'll be back

HoosTrax

I've never owned a Corsair PSU that has LEDs of any kind. Although, I think they do have one product line that has them (GS maybe?).

Specifically, I have an AX860 as well, and it has no LEDs.

kharma45

Ok thanks. I saw my cousin using the antec and it had a light inside the psu that comes on. Thought it was for every psu.

Maybe it was just for the antec model than.

Probably a thing for 'gamers' aka people who apparently like lots of lights in their set up.

Most PSUs don't have it bar them and cheapy ones.

I've never owned a Corsair PSU that has LEDs of any kind. Although, I think they do have one product line that has them (GS maybe?).

Specifically, I have an AX860 as well, and it has no LEDs.
Ok thanks. Thought I had a defect unit! Good to know.
Probably a thing for 'gamers' aka people who apparently like lots of lights in their set up.

Thanks. First time buying a psu so it's all new to me. Good to know these things.

0xCA2

I came up with a few PC builds in PCPartPicker that I've scrapped because they've always ended up being $900+ and it didn't feel right. Here's my the form from the OP:

Your Current Specs: (laptop) Pentium B960 2.20GHz / 4GB RAM / Intel HD Graphics/ 500 GB HDD
Budget: <=$1000 USD
Main Use: Light Gaming-3, Gaming-2, Emulation (PS2/Wii)-2, Video Editing-1, Streaming games in HD-1, 3D/Model work (and what program)-1, General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback)-5.
Monitor Resolution: 1366 x 768 (i have poor vision)
Necessary Applications: Eclipse, Visual Studio (I feel an SSD would help with those), Google Chrome, Adobe Reader. No I don't care about 60fps, etc.
When will you build?: Hopefully before Spring Semester starts (later Jan early Feb)
Will you be overclocking?: Maybe (Yes)

I have a couple of questions:
1). Should I bother with mail in rebates?

2). At night, my brother constantly runs an electric space heater in his room. This has been shown to affect other appliances in the house (though he seems to use it at a lower temp now, which calms me), at one point I could tell it was on because the light in my room would get a bit dimmer and the fan would slow down, and the reverse would happen when he turned it off. There is really nothing I can do about it, he just does what he wants to do. Could this potentially screw up a PC? I imagine it could. I detect no problems right now, but I'm using a laptop plugged in.

3). I am in college and going for a BS in CS, and I want a PC for the next 3.5 years. I only want to do light gaming (indies, emulators, old PC games, etc). Would spending $1000 right now be overkill?

quoting for new page

HoosTrax

I don't miss the days where cold cathodes, acrylic, and LEDs on everything including animated light shows on sticks of RAM were all the rage. I was NOT amused when I found out that a MSI board I bought had a couple dozen LEDs that flashed in sequence with HDD activity. Whyyy...

mkenyon

Banned
I don't miss the days where cold cathodes, acrylic, and LEDs on everything including animated light shows on sticks of RAM were all the rage. I was NOT amused when I found out that a MSI board I bought had a couple dozen LEDs that flashed in sequence with HDD activity. Whyyy...
Hoos, you should come up to PDXLAN. For a large portion of the attendees, it's like being transported back to 2002. You can almost hear Darude - Sandstorm in these pictures.

UUduVl.jpg

el2mPl.jpg

YrRLTl.jpg

So all i am missing is my GPU, hopefully it will get here soon. Don't know what to do until then.

Same exact case, same exact mobo but mine looks like a cluster fuck.

HOW.

Some of my cords like the audio to the front port, I didn't think it was long enough to do what you're doing, I mean fuck, your case is so clean, UGH.

edit:
My 24 pin is def not long enough to do what you're doing. How do people get cable management this nice, makes me so sad :( I tried to do this but it seemed like stuff wasn't long enough so I would just give up or something.

RedSwirl

Everything seems fine except I can't get any Xbox 360 controllers to work. I've tried downloading Microsot's software, but I still can't get Windows 7 to recognize the controllers. They don't show up under "Game Controllers" (which doesn't even show up in the Control Panel) and says the installation failed everything I plug one in.

NoRéN

Gorgeous job with the cable management. What case are you using? Also, what mkenyon said.

Everything seems fine except I can't get any Xbox 360 controllers to work. I've tried downloading Microsot's software, but I still can't get Windows 7 to recognize the controllers. They don't show up under "Game Controllers" (which doesn't even show up in the Control Panel) and says the installation failed everything I plug one in.
That's odd. Wired or wireless?

Ugh, I've had that headache. A quick Google search should get you the answer since I can't remember the exact details, but it has to do with picking a driver through the device manager because the default one doesn't work for some reason.

NoRéN

One wired, one wireless dongle.

Weird since my spouse used a wired one and was just able to plug it in and play Fallout 3 recently. It was basically plug and play. I asked her if she installed anything off the disc it came with and she asked what disc.

edit: Alright, decided to test this out for you since I am also on windows 7. Plugged in controller and it was not detected. However, i launched FO3 on steam and I was able to play with the controller.

And now it was detected by windows. Very strange.

RedSwirl

NoRéN;93940987 said:
Weird since my spouse used a wired one and was just able to plug it in and play Fallout 3 recently. It was basically plug and play. I asked her if she installed anything off the disc it came with and she asked what disc.

edit: Alright, decided to test this out for you since I am also on windows 7. Plugged in controller and it was not detected. However, i launched FO3 on steam and I was able to play with the controller.

And now it was detected by windows. Very strange.

Booted up Spelunky. Still didn't work. I'll probably have to find some other drivers.

RedSwirl

Got that fixed.

Now, the device manager has something called "SM Bus Controller" under Unidentified devices. What is that?

Ugh, I've had that headache. A quick Google search should get you the answer since I can't remember the exact details, but it has to do with picking a driver through the device manager because the default one doesn't work for some reason.

Okay yeah. The default drivers work, but you have to go way deep into the device manager and tell Windows what it actually is.

So my PC has been freezing up with video drivers crashing/monitor going black in the past few months so I think I should go ahead and get a new video card for Christmas. Any suggestions? Or maybe ideas as to what the problem could be if not my video card.

Specs:

Intel Core i5-2400 CPU 3.10 GHz.
8 GB Ram
Nvidia GTX 560 Ti
500 GB HDD
COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 case.
Corsair TX650 PSU
Intel Z68 Motherboard

Budget should be $300 or less. I don't play a ton of PC games really, but an upgrade would be nice nonetheless. My friend was worried about the case possibly being too big, so that should probably be taken into consideration.

I would really recommend the mechanical keyboard. Mechanical keyboards have NKRO and also feel significantly better than rubber dome keyboards. The TK is built decently (although its not QuickFire Rapid) and isn't even that compact. Its the same as any normal keyboard since its not an TKL board.

Thanks, I forgot about the NKRO benefit of mechanical keyboards. After thinking about it for a few days, I have decided to go with the CM Storm QuickFire TK. The only reason that SteelSeries Apex keyboard was so appealing to me was mainly for the software that was compatible with it.

So my PC has been freezing up with video drivers crashing/monitor going black in the past few months so I think I should go ahead and get a new video card for Christmas. Any suggestions? Or maybe ideas as to what the problem could be if not my video card.

Specs:

Intel Core i5-2400 CPU 3.10 GHz.
8 GB Ram
Nvidia GTX 560 Ti
500 GB HDD
COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 case.
Corsair TX650 PSU
Intel Z68 Motherboard

Budget should be $300 or less. I don't play a ton of PC games really, but an upgrade would be nice nonetheless. My friend was worried about the case possibly being too big, so that should probably be taken into consideration.
You might need to roll back your drivers for the GPU, since it seems like the latest ones have been causing some problems with 560s.

As for upgrading the GPU, I'm not sure what to say, because I've got one too. I'm holding off to see if I can get a Maxwell card or get a 780 Ti cheap, but if you want to upgrade right now, you probably find a 760 for less than $300, but that would rule out a case swap.

Trying to find drivers for a MSI 970A-G43 motherboard. I checked MSI and downloaded the two drivers they had but I feel like there should be more. Am I missing something?

You might need to roll back your drivers for the GPU, since it seems like the latest ones have been causing some problems with 560s.

As for upgrading the GPU, I'm not sure what to say, because I've got one too. I'm holding off to see if I can get a Maxwell card or get a 780 Ti cheap, but if you want to upgrade right now, you probably find a 760 for less than $300, but that would rule out a case swap.

I've tried a bunch of different drivers, actually, and it hasn't made much difference. Thanks for your input though.

NoRéN;93948778 said:

Oh nice. I might consider this.

mkenyon

Banned
Okay yeah. The default drivers work, but you have to go way deep into the device manager and tell Windows what it actually is.
Generally you want to go to your motherboard maker's web page, support section, then find your motherboard.

Download: LAN, Chipset, Audio, Wireless (if any, which I advise against always), and USB 3.0.

Install them all.

Restart computer.

Go to video card maker's website, download newest drivers. Install those. Restart.

Run Windows update.

There should not be a single driver left to download at this point, unless you have a super fancy motherboard that needs other stuff.

RedSwirl

Generally you want to go to your motherboard maker's web page, support section, then find your motherboard.

Download: LAN, Chipset, Audio, Wireless (if any, which I advise against always), and USB 3.0.

Install them all.

Restart computer.

Go to video card maker's website, download newest drivers. Install those. Restart.

Run Windows update.

There should not be a single driver left to download at this point, unless you have a super fancy motherboard that needs other stuff.

Motherboard actually came with a disc.

Anyway, since starting a thread for this didn't work, anybody know some good wallpaper management software?

On my old computer I'm just using something called Wallpaper Master but I think I want to switch. Windows 7's standard wallpaper management is pretty good but I need to have a few other features:

1)The ability to manage multiple libraries of wallpapers.
2)The ability to click a button to switch to a random wallpaper.
3)The ability to make wallpapers crop to fit my screen.

You know, it's probably worth mentioning that I only had my 560 Ti for about 1 year before I started having problems. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Santini

You know, it's probably worth mentioning that I only had my 560 Ti for about 1 year before I started having problems. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Don't know if you've specifically tried the 314.22 or 331.93 drivers, but they've been known to work for most folks on the 400 and 500 series of cards. Anything in-between those two drivers does not work for Fermi architecture cards and has been a source of frustration.

More info here and here.

I'm on a 560 Ti 448 and have been using the 331.93 drivers since they came out last month. Apart from being stable, GPU temps were much better for me than those with the 314.22 drivers, by 5-10 degrees.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Super solid. That'll be a great foundation for future upgrades too. Just plop in a new GPU and you're good to go.

If you don't need a ton of storage space, might I suggest swapping out the HDD for an SSD?

Last suggestion is that you can get Win 7/Win 8 keys on reddit.com/r/softwareswap for $20-40.

Awesome, will have to look into r/softwareswap and hopefully find a good deal. It'd save me a nice chunk of change. I do tend to eat up a lot of storage space, I've been kinda crunched on my current HDD with having to shuffle games off frequently so having an extra TB of space is going to be much needed breathing room. SSD is absolutely in the cards for a future expansion to move my system install to once money allows, though. Thanks!

Copons

So, it's been several months now that I'm thinking to build a new PC.
I was waiting for a Steam Machine, but Europeople didn't get any love, and also there are taxes raises probably incoming to Italy (that should apply only to devices with storages, but once they made me pay them for a pair of headphones... so I dunno really :D ).

Anyway:

Your Current Specs: I have a mid-2009 15'' MacBookPro, so no current specs, really. I may spare a dvd burner from a super-old (early 2000s) rig I have somewhere, but that's all.

Budget: between 600&#8364; and 800&#8364; (Italy)

Main Use: Gaming 5; Light Gaming 4; Emulation 4; General Usage 3; Video Editing 1, 3D/Model work 1

Monitor Resolution: Whatever. I have a 1366x768 TV, an old secondary 1280x1024 monitor I use at office and a Syncmaster 2433 (1920x1200 IIRC) that's lying around in the office and that I could (or could not) be able to buy. If I won't be able to get the Syncmaster, I'll need to buy a cheap but decent 22''.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: honestly I don't know. After years of low details, 50% scaling and rarely stable 30fps (in recent AAA games of course, most indies run fine), I really don't know what's like to play as it's meant to.

Looking to reuse any parts?: As said before: maybe a DVD writer and mayb-ier a Syncmaster 2433 1920x1200.

When will you build?: I don't really have a deadline, but I have a continuously growing backog of games I just can't play ATM. :D

Will you be overclocking?: I don't even know where to begin, so I guess no.

Anyway, I really would like to build a future-proof rig, that I will be able to upgrade whenever I want in the next few years.

-----

Now, following the Hazaro's suggested builds (the "Standard - Very Capable" one), I came up with this:

CPU: i5 3350p (161.50&#8364;)
MB: MSI B75MA-P45 (53.20&#8364;)
RAM: 2x4GB 1600 9-9-9-24 Corsair Vengeance Blue Low Profile (69.20&#8364;)
GPU: EVGA GTX 650 Ti Boost, 2GB (157.10&#8364;)
HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB (50.20&#8364;)
PSU: Corsair CX430M (47.58&#8364;)
Monitor (if I need it): Asus VE228HR (121.80&#8364;)

Cases suggested (Bitfenix Outlaw and NZXT Source 210) are considerably pricier here, so I searched for a super cheap but decent case with at least a frontal USB3.
Fact is: they're all ugly as hell, like the Cooler Master K-350 (40.10&#8364;).

Including monitor, ugly case, Win 8.1 and super budget mouse/keyboard (and not considering shipping costs and an UPS that I'll totally need) I'm around 800&#8364;.

What do you think? Any opinion and suggestion?
Thank you all in advance!

Gowans

I've just picked up a 27" iMac 16gb mem, 3.5 i7 processor & 780M 4gb GPU

I think my desktop PC is slightly faster (in GPU) so I'm putting it in my living room but I'm boot camping the iMac.

I can't find me old win 7 pro 64bit key for the bootcamp at all, is there a way to pull it from my old install?

What performance am I looking at on the iMac and will it take a hit running a second desktop screen for a browser when gaming? Should I turn it off?

Totakeke

Sigh, after assembling everything and turning it on the first time, it didn't work. All I get is a yellow light on the motherboard which seems to refer to the SBWP LED (no idea wtf that is, google didn't help), with fans not turning on etc. The front panel light does turn on though.

I've took out everything again and put in components one by one and still nothing. There's no beeps (I'm using fractal node 304 which doesn't have speakers for post beeps?) and still only the same LED light so I'm clueless now. CPU fan connector is plugged in (using Corsair H90), the two psu plugs for the motherboard is connected, the processor is correctly installed, the rams appear to be properly seated, took out the motherboard battery and put it back in again, no dice. Took my whole afternoon. Bleh, I'll leave it till tomorrow.

0xCA2

What do you guys think of this build? I'm doing programming + general use + light gaming.

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 750K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($80.98 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-HD3 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($83.02 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($45.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM (64-bit) ($94.98 @ OutletPC)
Other: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive ($55.00)
Other: Team Elite Plus 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model TPD38G1333C9DC01 ($49.99)
Total: $654.90

Same exact case, same exact mobo but mine looks like a cluster fuck.

HOW.

Some of my cords like the audio to the front port, I didn't think it was long enough to do what you're doing, I mean fuck, your case is so clean, UGH.

edit:
My 24 pin is def not long enough to do what you're doing. How do people get cable management this nice, makes me so sad :( I tried to do this but it seemed like stuff wasn't long enough so I would just give up or something.

Full modular PSU sure help, my old computer doesn't look so great. Also, having everything BUT the CPU and GPU, it's pretty much all i could do, take make time building and making it clean. My 24 pin is so freaking long, it's actually doing all the way around at the back, i'll take pics when i get my GPU and try to place everything and the back too.

You can use onboard video and install windows.

Yeah I installed windows 8 last night, doing some windows update, right now.

NoRéN;93940480 said:
Gorgeous job with the cable management. What case are you using? Also, what mkenyon said.?

http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/define-series/define-r4-black-pearl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom