• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you considered the Fractal Design Node 304? Ive built in both the Node 304 and Prodigy and thought the use of space in the Node is a lot better, and is overall a smaller chassis.

Any reason for a 750W PSU? A 500-600W would be sufficient for you first rig.

You are buying a K specced CPU, eventhough you are buying a H87 Mobo that you cant overclock on.

Id take the fist rig, but swap out the PSU for a 620W or 550W, then add in an SSD, and change the CPU to a non-K spec to shave off some cash if needed.

I'm keeping the 4670K CPU there just in case I change my mind or upgrade something. Also I dont see why that mobo can't overclock? I would never watercool, just air anyway.

Also, space isnt an issue with the prodigy.

As for the PSU, I used a few calculators online, and they said I could be using around 600w not overclocked :S

I figured I would need some headroom?

Ieu

Oh lordy, I just received the Dell P2414H 24 inch widescreen monitor and can confirm it is a thing of beauty. The only thing I don't like about it is that I can't run dual monitors because it has completely shown up my old one :'(

Link to review

Oh lordy, I just received the Dell P2414H 24 inch widescreen monitor and can confirm it is a thing of beauty. The only thing I don't like about it is that I can't run dual monitors because it has completely shown up my old one :'(

Link to review

I have the 27" version :)

I hope you got it 30% off, as that sale runs every 2-3 months.

The colours are fucking amazing. Gsync can lick my balls.

Dr Dogg

On the Corsair AX 860, is there supposed to be a led light that lits up so I can see the fan? It's not coming on. Is there a switch or anything?

Nope not on mine there isn't. Only control over the fan is a switch to out into hybrid mode which doesn't spin up the fan until you hit 300w+ (and even then it's near silent).

Abdozer

Does anyone recommend a similar card over this Gigabyte 770 2GB? Unfortunately I have the Antec 300 Illusion case which supports graphic cards up to 11 inches, and the 770 is 11.5 inches long. I read I could cut some of the HDD slots to make it fit but I rather not.

If it's possible to make the card fit, that's great but I would like to have some alternatives first. I'll be playing all the new games (BF4, AC4, Witcher 3 if possible) if that helps.

My CPU and motherboard for additional info. Budget is around $300 but I can go a little higher.

Thanks for any help guys!

How quickly should a gpu get warm? I only did one bench test on Tomb Raider and I feel the side of the latch where my gpu is getting warm already.

Is that normal or is something overheating going on? My main concern is bad wiring or something.

The psu is fine though and everything else as well. There is a vent right next to my gpu but it gets warm quickly.

It cools down quickly once I stop playing a game though.

Is this normal?

Thanks.

mkenyon

Banned
How quickly should a gpu get warm? I only did one bench test on Tomb Raider and I feel the side of the latch where my gpu is getting warm already.

Is that normal or is something overheating going on? My main concern is bad wiring or something.

The psu is fine though and everything else as well. There is a vent right next to my gpu but it gets warm quickly.

It cools down quickly once I stop playing a game though.

Is this normal?

Thanks.
Should get hot pretty much right away.
Does anyone recommend a similar card over this Gigabyte 770 2GB? Unfortunately I have the Antec 300 Illusion case which supports graphic cards up to 11 inches, and the 770 is 11.5 inches long. I read I could cut some of the HDD slots to make it fit but I rather not.

If it's possible to make the card fit, that's great but I would like to have some alternatives first. I'll be playing all the new games (BF4, AC4, Witcher 3 if possible) if that helps.

My CPU and motherboard for additional info. Budget is around $300 but I can go a little higher.

Thanks for any help guys!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127741

That's 10.24"

RedSwirl

Has anybody else ever had this problem? I got my new system hooked up to a TV and whenever I go fullscreen in Crysis 1 in DX10 it locks the game to 24fps. I did some googling and figured out it's actually a general problem with DX10 and DX11 games. People have had to resort to creating custom resolutions like 1919 x 1080 or something. I'd rather not have to do something like that for every single DX11 game I intend to run.

My TV is able to output 60hz in 1080p all the time so I don't know why it's forcing this. And in DX9 it's just fine. It only happens when I switch to DX10.

A lot of other people have to have run into this issue.

RedSwirl

Turn off vsync.

Tried that already. Doesn't work. The tv literally switches to display "1920 x 1080 24p". I think something in the game is fooling it into thinking it's displaying a Blu-Ray movie.

I don't know if it happens with every DX10/11 game, but it's been reported in Crysis, Crysis 2, and at least one Ubisoft game.

mkenyon

Banned
Tried that already. Doesn't work. The tv literally switches to display "1920 x 1080 24p". I think something in the game is fooling it into thinking it's displaying a Blu-Ray movie.

I don't know if it happens with every DX10/11 game, but it's been reported in Crysis, Crysis 2, and at least one Ubisoft game.
Regardless of what the TV switches to, the frame rate should not lock to 24fps with vsync off. Some googling on the problem confirms this.

Might be able to turn off a specific setting on your actual TV to disable that.

RedSwirl

Regardless of what the TV switches to, the frame rate should not lock to 24fps with vsync off. Some googling on the problem confirms this.

Might be able to turn off a specific setting on your actual TV to disable that.

I've turned off everything and have the TV set to "game mode." Also, I haven't started the actual game, but I can tell the mouse pointer in the main menu is still extremely sluggish. Even if it's rendering at a higher framerate, I think I'm still only getting 24hz on the screen.

Azulsky

At least in Steam you can force 60hz through properties> set launch options then enter

-refresh 60

It is not a DX problem its a "you are playing an old game problem"

Crysis 1 be a dinosaur

Full modular PSU sure help, my old computer doesn't look so great. Also, having everything BUT the CPU and GPU, it's pretty much all i could do, take make time building and making it clean. My 24 pin is so freaking long, it's actually doing all the way around at the back, i'll take pics when i get my GPU and try to place everything and the back too.

Yeah I installed windows 8 last night, doing some windows update, right now.

http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/define-series/define-r4-black-pearl

Please do. My 24pin is really short :( It's the only part of my PSU that isn't modular.

RedSwirl

I guess I'll test it out with other DX10 and 11 games like Crysis 2 and such, which I do own on Steam.

This is looking like the final straw to make me buy another copy of Crysis on Steam. I don't know why I didn't back in 2007. Hopefully I can get it for less than $5 on the Steam Sale.

According to what I've heard this has to do wtih DX10 or DX11 game getting resolution and refresh rate data straight from the display's EDID. Or... something going on with the driver. It's been reported on both Nividia and AMD cards.

Ieu

So I'm loving the fact that my monitor can rotate but is there any way I can get the desktop to rotate automatically with the monitor.

I know there's no sensor on the monitor and it does have USB but I'm having trouble finding a USB gyro sensor. Anyone else looked at this?

ElementJJ

Banned
I'm keeping the 4670K CPU there just in case I change my mind or upgrade something. Also I dont see why that mobo can't overclock? I would never watercool, just air anyway.

Also, space isnt an issue with the prodigy.

As for the PSU, I used a few calculators online, and they said I could be using around 600w not overclocked :S

I figured I would need some headroom?

The H87 chipset doesnt allow tuning the CPU Multiplier for overclocking.

What kind of space issues would be worried about in the Node 304? The PSU bracket can be removed so even a Modular Supply of 160mm will fit (I have a Seasonic 620W Modular in mine). It will fit a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 heatsink, and up to 4 HDD with a full length GPU. It also looks less tacky with full aluminium body and doesnt take excessive space, the Prodigy "handles" really are unnecessary.

The CPU is 84W, even if you OCd very high it and it may draw 130W. The R9 290 pulls 250-300W, maybe 350W with a big OC. Unless you plan to run the GPU with furmark and CPU with linpack/prime95 simultaneously you really aren't going to get anywhere near the peak draw.

For example, I run a 4960X at 4.5Ghz, it pulls 250W under Prime95. I run a overclocked GTX 780, probably pulls 350W. And i run it on a Corsair TX650W PSU, and its fans dont even spin up whilst gaming. I also run 1SSD and 3HDD's. Previously i ran this rig with a Seasonic 620W. So you can definitely save some money in this area, a 750W is overkill.

mkenyon

Banned
The H87 chipset doesnt allow tuning the CPU Multiplier for overclocking.

What kind of space issues would be worried about in the Node 304? The PSU bracket can be removed so even a Modular Supply of 160mm will fit (I have a Seasonic 620W Modular in mine). It will fit a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 heatsink, and up to 4 HDD with a full length GPU. It also looks less tacky with full aluminium body and doesnt take excessive space, the Prodigy "handles" really are unnecessary.

The CPU is 84W, even if you OCd very high it and it may draw 130W. The R9 290 pulls 250-300W, maybe 350W with a big OC. Unless you plan to run the GPU with furmark and CPU with linpack/prime95 simultaneously you really aren't going to get anywhere near the peak draw.

For example, I run a 4960X at 4.5Ghz, it pulls 250W under Prime95. I run a overclocked GTX 780, probably pulls 350W. And i run it on a Corsair TX650W PSU, and its fans dont even spin up whilst gaming. I also run 1SSD and 3HDD's. Previously i ran this rig with a Seasonic 620W. So you can definitely save some money in this area, a 750W is overkill.
The Node's only aluminum portion is the front panel.

But I agree, space issues shouldn't be a concern in the Node. It'll fit just about anything in there. Your power analysis is also right on.

ElementJJ

Banned
The Node's only aluminum portion is the front panel.

But I agree, space issues shouldn't be a concern in the Node. It'll fit just about anything in there. Your power analysis is also right on.

The sides and rear are metal (steel?) too, they just state front aluminium because its always the one companies use plastic.

mkenyon

Banned
The sides and rear are metal (steel?) too, they just state front aluminium because its always the one companies use plastic.
Yeah, it just doesn't have a "full aluminum body".

For comparison, the Prodigy is full steel with a plastic front panel (and handles). Phenom, same thing sans handles.

Trying to get a 780 on newegg with this Masterpass promotion. Shaves off a good $50 from the card but isn't working right now b/c of the current game bundle!

Anyone know of a way to get rid of the bundle? or how long it's planning to last?

DTKT

Just built a i3-4330 with a 270x for a family member and I'm quite shocked by how good it's running the few games I've tested on it. Doesn't bat an eye at Shogun Total War and Napoleon.

Pretty kickass for a 700$ machine.

You could buy a 24 pin extension, that would fix that problem. I'll take some pic tonight, because my GPU is still not showing movement on UPS... i'm tired of this shit

Great idea, didn't think of that.

If I want to buy different length cables for a modular power supply what do you search for? Male to male 8pin / 6pin?

Also, is there a converter I can buy for my fans so instead of plugging those into the mobo I can hide them behind it?

Azzurri

and I thought Amazon was bad at 769.99. I had $43 in credit so it came to $726 for me. The balls on Newegg to charge $40 more.

Newegg just added a MSI Gaming Ti edition for 699, 100 less. Doesn't seem like a bad deal, but I've never bought a MSI GPU. I want to see what Asus DCII OC card goes for.

mkenyon

Banned
Just built a i3-4330 with a 270x for a family member and I'm quite shocked by how good it's running the few games I've tested on it. Doesn't bat an eye at Shogun Total War and Napoleon.

Pretty kickass for a 700$ machine.
People initially scoff at i3s because of core count. They're really beastly gaming processors though.

zainetor

Banned
So, it's been several months now

-----

Now, following the Hazaro's suggested builds (the "Standard - Very Capable" one), I came up with this:

CPU: i5 3350p (161.50€)
MB: MSI B75MA-P45 (53.20€)
RAM: 2x4GB 1600 9-9-9-24 Corsair Vengeance Blue Low Profile (69.20€)
GPU: EVGA GTX 650 Ti Boost, 2G

B (157.10€)
HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB (50.20€)
PSU: Corsair CX430M (47.58€)
Monitor (if I need it): and not

considering shipping costs

What do you think? Any opinion and suggestion?
Thank you all in advance!

get a r9 270x instead of gtx650ti. Way better for gaming.

Get a better supply too. 430 seems too weak. 500 would be perfect.

zainetor

Banned
What do you guys think of this build? I'm doing programming + general use + light gaming.

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 750K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($80.98 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-HD3 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($83.02 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($45.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM (64-bit) ($94.98 @ OutletPC)
Other: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive ($55.00)
Other: Team Elite Plus 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model TPD38G1333C9DC01 ($49.99)
Total: $654.90

well, if you wanna stay cheap, its fine. It all depends ons your budget and definition of light gaming.

AJLma

Not completely related to building, but I saw this in another thread last night and thought it was pretty amazing, so if anyone here missed it I recommend you guys check it out. This is the type of stuff that makes next-gen hardware impressive in my opinion.

Oxide Games - AMD Mantle Presentation and Demo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIWyf8Hyjbg&hd=1&t=25m20s

Basically it's space-rts tech demo showing off 2000 ships all with individual AI & physics simulations powered by an FX-8350 and R9 290X. All of this happening without deep GPU optimization, on an Alpha release of Mantle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom