• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lkr

i've got some old, slow hard drives that i should have replaced 4-5 years ago, but are still being used. much to slow to still be used for important things. i'm wondering if i should go SSD and just use them for storage, hybrid drive, or just go with a large hard drive. SSDs are really appealing even though the prices aren't the greatest

Okay guys, last issue and I'm golden (for now). MY PC isn't recognizing any headphone plugged into it, nor is it recognizing the speakers of the TV I currently have it plugged into. It must be a wiring mix-up but I'm not sure where.

CRS

Okay guys, last issue and I'm golden (for now). MY PC isn't recognizing any headphone plugged into it, nor is it recognizing the speakers of the TV I currently have it plugged into. It must be a wiring mix-up but I'm not sure where.

Are you going into the Playback Devices and choosing the correct output when you right click on the speaker icon on the taskbar?

mkenyon

Banned
Heh, mkenyon, you weren't kidding about the AX860 being a tight fit in the Prodigy. Lot of fussing around with the modular connectors required, and in the end, it just barely fits.

Only the case arrived today -- CPU and board are due Friday -- so I got a head start stripping out my current rig and test fitting some parts. Love the case overall. Very nice build quality and attention to detail on an inexpensive case.
Good to hear, glad you like it. Though people complain that it's a tad large for ITX, it's still much smaller than standard mid-towers. But, it's not difficult to build in and can accommodate just about any part out there (outside of 2.5 slot cooler cards). Don't know what color you chose, but the white/orange/green version has that SofTouch material on the front that feels soooooooo good.
Are your audio drivers installed?

DTKT

Front panel or motherboard audio? My recently finished build case (HAF 912) front audio just don't work. I need to try AC97 because the HD audio plug just doesn't work.

sn00zer

So a electrical surge killed my last PSU....I bought a new one and suddenly everything was heating to crazy high temps and new PSU starts making high pitched screeching noises....so I assume at the very least my PSU and motherboard are dead, likely the GPU as well....so should RAM and Harddrive still be salvageable?

Also should I just blindly follow the first page guide if I want a new comp for around $400? I have a windows DVD install.

EDIT: If I were to follow the guide in the OP, which component should I bump up if I were to bump up only one in the $450 column?

Does vsync actually keep the gpu cooler?

I read somewhere, forgot where, that the gpu works harder whenever there are more framerates. Turning on vsync would cap it at 60fps making the gpu work less harder.

Is there any truth to this?

ElementJJ

Banned
Does vsync actually keep the gpu cooler?

I read somewhere, forgot where, that the gpu works harder whenever there are more framerates. Turning on vsync would cap it at 60fps making the gpu work less harder.

Is there any truth to this?

That's right. If you have an nVidia gpu you can limit fps in evga tuner for similar effect without the cons of vsync (some notice input lag) but may still get some screen tearing.

The effect is more pronounced the higher your fps are when uncapped compared to your refresh rate. You'll see that the GPU is working at less than 100% to reach your vsync fps which will result in lower temps.

zainetor

Banned
Hey, thank you for your answer!

As for the GPU, I'd like to stick to Nvidia. Also, the one you suggested costs something like 50€ more than a 650 Ti Boost at my store of reference.

Anyway, I put up another build, this one with Haswell stuff, as I guess it would be more future proof.

nice build. but if you can, buy an h87 mb, so you can use turbo boost. I dont know if haswell are different in this.regard, but with ivy you could not use boost on b75 motherboards.
Ps: im from italy, too ;)
che negozio stai usando per comprare componenti? perché io su trova Prezzi la 2 70 x l'ho vista anche a 160/70.

zainetor

Banned
I'd spend $750 tops. My definition of light gaming is indies, old PC games, light emulation, etc.

The big worry for me is the processor ( AMD Athlon II X4 750K) for some reason. I feel that that processor is too weak to last the next couple of years, and I will regret not spending the extra money now.

thanks for the advice. I'll keep the other parts and swap the mobo + cpu + psu

Well if you want to make a future proof pc, go for intel like other people said. Dolphin emulation is not that good on x4.

Ps sorry for double posts, but its a pain and i am on mobile

Meteorain

So on Tuesday my new graphics card and case came in. I went from a Radeon HD 5570 to a MSI GTX 770 (holy shit this card is big).

Lord above, the difference between the cards is amazing. All my life I've had to move those sliders down to "low". Now I can just mash everything to high and it works wonderfully. I can finally play BF4 properly. I saw a friend's footage of what BF4 was like for him and mine looked like it was broken at that god awful 20fps. Now though, everything is good. So smooth! Blurring when I turn to look; amazing! Lol

Also the the new case (Fractal Design R4) is a great case. It dwarfs my previous one, and it actually makes me feel ashamed for having that previous case. I really like how the interior is laid out as well.

Now I just need an SSD and a good monitor. In due time though I suppose.

The H87 chipset doesnt allow tuning the CPU Multiplier for overclocking.

What kind of space issues would be worried about in the Node 304? The PSU bracket can be removed so even a Modular Supply of 160mm will fit (I have a Seasonic 620W Modular in mine). It will fit a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 heatsink, and up to 4 HDD with a full length GPU. It also looks less tacky with full aluminium body and doesnt take excessive space, the Prodigy "handles" really are unnecessary.

The CPU is 84W, even if you OCd very high it and it may draw 130W. The R9 290 pulls 250-300W, maybe 350W with a big OC. Unless you plan to run the GPU with furmark and CPU with linpack/prime95 simultaneously you really aren't going to get anywhere near the peak draw.

For example, I run a 4960X at 4.5Ghz, it pulls 250W under Prime95. I run a overclocked GTX 780, probably pulls 350W. And i run it on a Corsair TX650W PSU, and its fans dont even spin up whilst gaming. I also run 1SSD and 3HDD's. Previously i ran this rig with a Seasonic 620W. So you can definitely save some money in this area, a 750W is overkill.

Thanks for the feedback, however I think you miss read my space issues. I prefer the look of the Prodigy, what I mean is I have MORE THAN ENOUGH ROOM in my house. The fractal is nice, but it kind of bores me :( It's just a plain black box.

I really appreciate the PSU help though as I understand fuck all about them, I just figured I may need it in case I upgrade, clearly not I guess.

The Seasonic 620W was something I was looking at so that helps me I guess.

Is a 750 still overkill with an Asus mITX impact mobo and an i7?

Also, is 16GB a total waste of time?

Also, what is the cheapest miniITX mobo I can get that gives me wireless, overclock ability while being cheap?

Copons

nice build. but if you can, buy an h87 mb, so you can use turbo boost. I dont know if haswell are different in this.regard, but with ivy you could not use boost on b75 motherboards.
Ps: im from italy, too ;)
che negozio stai usando per comprare componenti? perché io su trova Prezzi la 2 70 x l'ho vista anche a 160/70.

Ehilà! ^^

I'm using eKey.it for parts and Amazon.it for the case (as eKey shipping costs are related to weight, while on Amazon I'll get free shippings).

For the GPU, mainly I want to stick with Nvidia for several reasons, so whatever.

For the motherboard, as suggested before, on my latest build I replaced the B85 with a Z87, that supports both Boost and K series CPU.
Namely AsRock Z87 Pro3, which has decent reviews on Newegg and costs just 10€ more than the cheaper H87 ATX I can find on eKey.

kennah

Thanks for the feedback, however I think you miss read my space issues. I prefer the look of the Prodigy, what I mean is I have MORE THAN ENOUGH ROOM in my house. The fractal is nice, but it kind of bores me :( It's just a plain black box.

I really appreciate the PSU help though as I understand fuck all about them, I just figured I may need it in case I upgrade, clearly not I guess.

The Seasonic 620W was something I was looking at so that helps me I guess.

Is a 750 still overkill with an Asus mITX impact mobo and an i7?

Also, is 16GB a total waste of time?

Also, what is the cheapest miniITX mobo I can get that gives me wireless, overclock ability while being cheap?

The Gigabyte ITX motherboard is great value and can sometimes be found for close to $100.

16 gigs is a total waste unless you are producing media content for a living/hobby.

750 is a total waste on any ITX system Because no single gpu system could pull even close to that much power. Even a Titan or 290 with a buttload of hard drives and a healthy overclock wouldn't max out that 620 (or even a 550). You only need a 750 or higher if you are doing multigpu setups. Which are basically impossible on ITX.

Seanspeed

Banned
ASUS 290X Review Direct CU II

AMD 290 + 290X are cheaper than their Nvida counterparts, cooler, use less power and can mine coins faster.

I can taste those fucking salty Nvidia tears, it's delicious!

Loving these price wars, yes nvidia keep dropping those prices....just before I buy my rig...yes

YES!
You could have just posted the review and left out all the cringe-worthy fanboy stuff, man. ;)

EDIT: Oh wow, are the reference designs really *that* bad?

kharma45

So still no update on my order for my GTX 770, seems it got lost or something either by UPS or NCIX.

I'm starting to want a refund and get something else.

I'm wondering what i should get for 400 Canadian $ or less

This is what i was getting http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=04G-P4-3774-KR i dont know much about GPU, so it was probably not such a good deal, but whatever can i get something similar or better?

Are you wanting to stick to Nvidia? Newegg.ca has the Sapphire 280X Toxic at the top end of your budget http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...57534&PID=3938566&SID=&nm_mc=AFC-C8junctionCA

Are you wanting to stick to Nvidia? Newegg.ca has the Sapphire 280X Toxic at the top end of your budget http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...57534&PID=3938566&SID=&nm_mc=AFC-C8junctionCA

I'm not mad at Nvidia, but yeah i'll keep that one in mind, performance seems to be similar. Anyways i can't afford right now to buy a new one before getting a refund first so I guess i'm stuck with onboard video for a while. I think my friend got an old card, can't remember what it is. At what point would the on board be better the the old GPU?

Just put in my order for new parts! Thanks to Hazaro for all the useful recommendations in the OP and to the people who answered the couple questions I had earlier in the thread.

Picked up this gear: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/29DOb

Plus I ordered a monitor and SSD for my wife (the monitor as an exchange for me getting this stuff and the SSD is a Christmas gift). Hoping to have everything Saturday so I can started on my first upgrade in three years! Does this thread like pictures of finished builds?

Just a quick question, am I ok using the g3220 as a place holder for my budget build? I am using the z87 chipset and a R9 270x. Holidays are killing my wallet and everything I have read says that it is a strong budget CPU.

kharma45

Just a quick question, am I ok using the g3220 as a place holder for my budget build? I am using the z87 chipset and a R9 270x. Holidays are killing my wallet and everything I have read says that it is a strong budget CPU.

It is yeah. What price is the stuff you're looking at?

Just put in my order for new parts! Thanks to Hazaro for all the useful recommendations in the OP and to the people who answered the couple questions I had earlier in the thread.

Picked up this gear: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/29DOb

Plus I ordered a monitor and SSD for my wife (the monitor as an exchange for me getting this stuff and the SSD is a Christmas gift). Hoping to have everything Saturday so I can started on my first upgrade in three years! Does this thread like pictures of finished builds?

Nice!

I'm not mad at Nvidia, but yeah i'll keep that one in mind, performance seems to be similar. Anyways i can't afford right now to buy a new one before getting a refund first so I guess i'm stuck with onboard video for a while. I think my friend got an old card, can't remember what it is. At what point would the on board be better the the old GPU?

280X is the equivalent of the 770, fairly closely matched. I'm surprised that card is in stock at that price with the coin mining craze.

Hey kharma, the board is coming in at about 100 US dollars. I am getting a SSD at about 90. 120gb Samsung. THe gpu is coming in at about 210 and the g3220 would be about 68.

kharma45

Hey kharma, the board is coming in at about 100 US dollars. I am getting a SSD at about 90. 120gb Samsung. THe gpu is coming in at about 210 and the g3220 would be about 68.

You could save $30 or so on the GPU side by getting a 270 over the 270X. The only difference between the two is clock speed.

HoosTrax

Good to hear, glad you like it. Though people complain that it's a tad large for ITX, it's still much smaller than standard mid-towers. But, it's not difficult to build in and can accommodate just about any part out there (outside of 2.5 slot cooler cards). Don't know what color you chose, but the white/orange/green version has that SofTouch material on the front that feels soooooooo good.
Yeah I spent a very long time weighing that, and in the end I just decided in favor of making the tradeoff of a larger footprint in favor of flexibility and cooling. I actually picked the black one for increased airflow (since I'll be using a windowed side panel instead of the stock mesh one). It still feels pleasantly solid for a mesh faceplate, unlike on some other cases I've owned where you're afraid you might dent it in.

The one thing that is going to grate on me after a while though, is that 5.25" bay. I kind of would have preferred if they offered a front face plate without it, because now I feel compelled to have *something* there. Yet I use a 5.25" optical drive once per build, and then it collects dust. And I typically connect my fans to the motherboard, so a fan controller wouldn't be useful either. I might put a drive toaster in there just as a placeholder, and because I can't think of anything more useful atm.

Pro

Just bought a Corsair Force GS 240 GB SSD. I believe one of my two current RAID 0 60GB SSDs is failing. System reboots on the daily now and IRST reports Drive 1 always failing. Been reading and SSDs seem to fail a lot after 1-2 years. I don't think I'm going to RAID this configuration. I'm thinking the RAID 0 is writing a lot to the current SSD and making it fail over time. The newer higher capacity one means it won't have to write over the same sectors so many times correct? Or my current SSDs could be fine and it could be the MB. Who knows? Am I crazy?

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah I spent a very long time weighing that, and in the end I just decided in favor of making the tradeoff of a larger footprint in favor of flexibility and cooling. I actually picked the black one for increased airflow (since I'll be using a windowed side panel instead of the stock mesh one). It still feels pleasantly solid for a mesh faceplate, unlike on some other cases I've owned where you're afraid you might dent it in.

The one thing that is going to grate on me after a while though, is that 5.25" bay. I kind of would have preferred if they offered a front face plate without it, because now I feel compelled to have *something* there. Yet I use a 5.25" optical drive once per build, and then it collects dust. And I typically connect my fans to the motherboard, so a fan controller wouldn't be useful either. I might put a drive toaster in there just as a placeholder, and because I can't think of anything more useful atm.
Take a gander here: http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l1/g34/Bay_Devices.html?mv_pc=1562

Ieu

The newer higher capacity one means it won't have to write over the same sectors so many times correct? Or my current SSDs could be fine and it could be the MB. Who knows? Am I crazy?

Yes, generally speaking a higher capacity SSD has more areas to reallocate to than a small one but it depends on how much the manufacturer has provisioned for this.

Your motherboard shouldn't be killing off the drive but it's possible that with RAID 0 the drive may suffer from write amplification as RAID arrays currently do not support TRIM.

scogoth

Yes, generally speaking a higher capacity SSD has more areas to reallocate to than a small one but it depends on how much the manufacturer has provisioned for this.

Your motherboard shouldn't be killing off the drive but it's possible that with RAID 0 the drive may suffer from write amplification as RAID arrays currently do not support TRIM.

Intel RAID does have trim support now. Not sure about other but in sure if Intel has it LSI would too.

Newline

PtdTEy8.jpg

Christmas came early. Time to build!

That's right. If you have an nVidia gpu you can limit fps in evga tuner for similar effect without the cons of vsync (some notice input lag) but may still get some screen tearing.

The effect is more pronounced the higher your fps are when uncapped compared to your refresh rate. You'll see that the GPU is working at less than 100% to reach your vsync fps which will result in lower temps.
Thanks. That's good to know. I'll try that.

Pro

How much performance do you really gain with RAID 0 anyway? An SSD is fast regardless of RAID configuration. But yeah I really think this RAID is messing with my drive.

mkenyon

Banned
The way I look at it, you don't get any faster than instant. RAID on SSDs doesn't really serve much of a purpose anymore.

If you're dealing with giant databases or something like that, I can see why one would want to.

Hey guys,

My cousin wants a gaming pc that can run ARMAIII pretty well. Unfortunately all i have is a

case
500gb HD
Monitor
Keyboard
Mouse
maybe 4gb of ddr3 ram ( i have 20gb in my system but havent upgraded to pro to use it all)
and 700 dollars

(i got the case and the money on the 18th)

I have to have it build by sunday too.
what i am thinking is
3570K or 3570 with a non OC mobo
8gb Ram
Then whatever else i have on the GPU. probably a R270

NoRéN

i5 4670k and GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD3H would leave you with around $300 for the video card. You couls always go with one of the boards in the OP to save some cash like the Biostar.

chunk3rvd

Wish I'd never bothered to build a PC for someone now. I was quite unprepared for the headaches that would lie ahead :( Thought I had everything sorted but just tried to switch it on and nothing:

The blue light on the power button is lit but when I press it nothing happens. Do I just need to check all the wires inside? Maybe knocked something loose while hooking up the PSU?

Chicago, I have a microcenter right by my apartment. my current cart is
at 682

Z87 MSI
500W Inland
760 Gtx
8gb 1600 ddr3.

I can maybe give him my ram and save money. Problem is i may or may not have a Win 7 from an old laptop that could kill the whole thing. If i give my ram ill money to squeeze out a win 7 serial if i have to. But im already giving him my spare 1080p monitor and keyboard and mouse and my old hd that i just switched out this month.

NoRéN

Chicago, I have a microcenter right by my apartment. my current cart is
at 682

Z77 MSI
500W Inland
760 Gtx
8gb 1600 ddr3.

I can maybe give him my ram and save money. Problem is i may or may not have a Win 7 from an old laptop that could kill the whole thing. If i give my ram ill money to squeeze out a win 7 serial if i have to. But im already giving him my spare 1080p monitor and keyboard and mouse and my old hd that i just switched out this month.

Do you need to buy everything at microcenter?

Also, motherboard and cpu are not compatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom