• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thespot84

so i put my 4770k at 1.25V and 4.3 ghz (gigabyte's 'medium' OC setting) and while the chip reports high 90C's during tests the first and second cores get to 100C. BF4 also puts the first core past 90C. Should I worry about it? It seems to be throttling a lot when I play BF4.

EDIT: my 3dmark11 went down. I'm doing something wrong.

Thorgal

Here's what'll happen, which is what they did with Kepler.

The GK110 is what we now know as Titan/780/780Ti. GK104 was the 680/670, now 770.

When 8xx comes out, they're release their 104 variant as the new top end card, the GTX 880. It'll be a 10-25% bump over the 780Ti and 290x. Then a year or more later, they'll release an updated Titan or 980 on the 110 chipset, which is the card you're thinking about.

They can't sustain die shrinks and architectural changes fast enough to keep up with refreshes anymore. 10-25% boost in performance is what we should be expecting for the forseeable future.

Ok .thanks still a big jump but not as great as some where expecting.

maneil99

Here's what'll happen, which is what they did with Kepler.

The GK110 is what we now know as Titan/780/780Ti. GK104 was the 680/670, now 770.

When 8xx comes out, they're release their 104 variant as the new top end card, the GTX 880. It'll be a 10-25% bump over the 780Ti and 290x. Then a year or more later, they'll release an updated Titan or 980 on the 110 chipset, which is the card you're thinking about.

They can't sustain die shrinks and architectural changes fast enough to keep up with refreshes anymore. 10-25% boost in performance is what we should be expecting for the forseeable future.
580-680 was 20-35%

"Performance relative to the GTX 580 is also once again good for that matter, with the GTX 680 beating its predecessor by 48% at almost every resolution."

"The performance gains over the GTX 580 are also solid, with the GTX 680 leading by 34% or better"

Yeah. It's really utility vs. aesthetics. Though, one of my favorite builds I've seen on the net to this day is a fully air cooled system:

Red and black does go together really well. Like his Arc Mini build as well.

SCJcA8r.jpg

finally the stable version of AMD Catalyst Drivers 13.12 !

change log:

# FEATURE HIGHLIGHTS
* Support for the following new products:
- AMD Radeon™ R9 290, 280, and 270 Series
- AMD Radeon™ R7 260, 250, and 240 Series

* Improved AMD CrossFire scaling for the following game titles:
- Call of Duty®: Ghosts (multiplayer component)
- Splinter Cell Blacklist
- Saints Row 4
- Metro Last Light

* New AMD Enduro™ Technology profiles for the following game titles:
- XCOM: Enemy Unknown
- Need for Speed Rivals
- Total War™​: Rome 2
- Battlefield 4
- Saints Row 4
- Splinter Cell Blacklist
- FIFA 14

* Support For AMD CrossFire frame pacing
- Frame pacing ensures that frames rendered across multiple GPUs in an AMD CrossFire configuration will be displayed at an even and regular pace
- Frame pacing is enabled through the AMD Catalyst Control Center, or on a per application basis
- Frame pacing is supported on DirectX® 10 and DirectX 11 applications using resolutions up to (and including) 2560x1600 on a single display

# RESOLVED ISSUES
* May resolve intermittent black screens or display loss observed on some AMD Radeon™ R9 290X and AMD Radeon R9 290 graphics cards
* Resolves intermittent crashes seen in legacy DirectX® 9 applications
* AMD Radeon™ R9 290 Series - Power Tune update to reduce variance of fan speed / RPM
* PCI-E bus speed is no longer set to x1 on the secondary GPU when running in an AMD CrossFire configuration
* Resolves incorrect HDMI Audio Driver information being listed in the AMD Catalyst Control Center
* Resolves AMD Steady Video option being grayed out in the AMD Catalyst Control Center
* Resolves intermittent flickering seen on some AMD Radeon R9 270X graphics cards
* Resolves graphics corruption issues found in Starcraft
* Resolves image corruption seen in Autodesk Investor 2014
* Resolves flickering water corruption found in World of Warcraft
* Resolves intermittent black screen when resuming from a S3/S4 sleep-state if the display is unplugged during the sleep-state on systems supporting AMD Enduro™ Technology
* Resolves intermittent crashes experienced with Battlefield 4 on Windows 8 based systems
* Resolves the display turning green when using Windows Media Player to view HD .avi format video in an extended desktop configuration
* Resolves Metro applications experiencing frame drops during playback of interlaced video content
* Resolves video playback corruption of .wmv format files in Windows Media Player

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Last weekend my 5 month old 760 GTX died, total failure, no output even at boot/bios.

RMA'd it to dabs.com, got the confirmation from them today that it's dead and a full refund provided (They couldn't replace, the MSI 760 Twin Frozr is now discontinued).

So I'm looking for a replacement, it's looking like my best option is the MSI 760 Hawk for £210, but are there any other options I should be looking at? (Budget is £210)

kharma45

Last weekend my 5 month old 760 GTX died, total failure, no output even at boot/bios.

RMA'd it to dabs.com, got the confirmation from them today that it's dead and a full refund provided (They couldn't replace, the MSI 760 Twin Frozr is now discontinued).

So I'm looking for a replacement, it's looking like my best option is the MSI 760 Hawk for £210, but are there any other options I should be looking at? (Budget is £210)

Yeah you'll not go wrong with it at the top end of your budget. The ASUS, Gigabyte and EVGA are great too for slightly less but out of the box the Hawk is the quickest. Good that Dabs gave you a full refund, Novatech always repaired my GPU when it died. Worth keeping in mind this too, Gigabyte and EVGA has the best RMA service in the UK if you ever have to send anything away

2graphicscardwarrantyso.png

so i put my 4770k at 1.25V and 4.3 ghz (gigabyte's 'medium' OC setting) and while the chip reports high 90C's during tests the first and second cores get to 100C. BF4 also puts the first core past 90C. Should I worry about it? It seems to be throttling a lot when I play BF4.

EDIT: my 3dmark11 went down. I'm doing something wrong.

Those temps are too high. Maybe try reseating your CPU cooler.

Seanspeed

Banned

It would be a great time to upgrade to something like a 280X if they weren't all sold out everywhere.

EDIT: Wow, why are GTX670's so expensive right now?

Ok so I have updated MY RIG. Prices in $AU

Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB $519.00
Intel Core i5 4670K $269.00
ASRock Z87E-ITX Mini ITX Motherboard $165.00
Seasonic M12II 620W Power Supply $139.00
Corsair Vengeance Pro CMY8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 $115.00
Western Digital WD Black 1TB WD1003FZEX $99.00
BitFenix Prodigy Mini-ITX Case Warrior $99.00
Sub-total: $1,405.00

Does this build all make sense? Anything else you guys think I could adjust?

brentech

Tried both. Flipped the psu switch a couple times too. The motherboard was put on risers and a screw was put into all the holes that lined up with the case.

Also, one new detail: When the psu is turned on, there is a faint clicking noise coming from it. I have no idea what this means, but at least it's something.

no, they came in a little bag with the case. I put in all of them, and then just screwed in the mobo where it met up with the corresponding standoffs.
Just want to be extra sure here, are you saying that there are some risers behind the motherboard where motherboard holes didn't line up for screws?
or that the risers that didn't line up were removed?

kharma45

Meteorain

I have everything attached to the case and I'm currently attaching cables to the motherboard, however I noticed something and that brings me to...

Question #2: My PSU is bottom mounted so which position is better for the PSU? Fan pointing upward or pointing downward? I have it as in the picture below and it affects my cable management. According to a YouTube video my cousin linked me, having the fan point downward will have the PSU be cooler whereas the opposite will be a bit warmer, true or false?

Hey chocobro. I bought the exact same case as you and put my rig together last Tuesday. I too asked the same question about the PSU. I have the fan facing up after talking to people that have the same case. The fan does face into a little venting panel but that will be facing the floor which can create heat, so let the heat flow up and out through the back top fan.

The good thing about the case is that you can pop the cables through round the back of the wall that the mobo sits on to keep it tidy and out of the way and feed it back in appropriately.

Edit: Ignore my rant about the PSU. Apparently I am an idiot.

kharma45

If you've a filter on your case (which the R4 does) place the fan DOWN, otherwise you're just drawing in warm(ish) air from your case rather than cooler air from outside.

Meteorain

Goddamnit kharma, now you tell me this shit. I actually looked for you online when I was putting the stuff together.

I think I will be able to open it up and just flip it without hassle. Nilay gave me some dodgy advice it seems :(

kharma45

It's not the end of the world if you've got it in the other way around, just better to have it drawing in cool air from outside and then exhausting it out the back.

psu-bottom-04-EN.png

Chocobro

Hey chocobro. I bought the exact same case as you and put my rig together last Tuesday. I too asked the same question about the PSU. I have the fan facing up after talking to people that have the same case. The fan does face into a little venting panel but that will be facing the floor which can create heat, so let the heat flow up and out through the back top fan.

The good thing about the case is that you can pop the cables through round the back of the wall that the mobo sits on to keep it tidy and out of the way and feed it back in appropriately.

Edit: Ignore my rant about the PSU. Apparently I am an idiot.
You're not an idiot! You were just given an opinion. My cousin and friend searched for an answer and it happened to match what t-ramp said. I really appreciate your response for trying to help me.
If you've a filter on your case (which the R4 does) place the fan DOWN, otherwise you're just drawing in warm(ish) air from your case rather than cooler air from outside.
Thanks for the reaffirmation kharma :)

Anyone have tips for cable management? I noticed the zip ties are one time use unless you use a knife to pull the tab up to remove the cable and I've been using twisty tie things. The cables kind of bulge in the middle when trying to put the side panel back on so I'm trying to see how I can distribute the cables around the side a bit more.

HoosTrax

Anyone have tips for cable management? I noticed the zip ties are one time use unless you use a knife to pull the tab up to remove the cable and I've been using twisty tie things. The cables kind of bulge in the middle when trying to put the side panel back on so I'm trying to see how I can distribute the cables around the side a bit more.
Plastic cable ties are super cheap in bulk -- just buy a bag of them on eBay. Personally, I prefer velcro cable ties, as they're reusable / re-adjustable, and if you buy a roll of them, it's relatively inexpensive as well (although not as cheap as plastic ties).

Pratfall

Question about the video cards of next year and gsync. I am currently running a 3550k system with a gtx580 and want to upgrade to the fastest NVIDIA single GPU card that comes out next year as well as pick up a new gsync enabled monitor.

1) Is there any idea as to when the Maxwell cards will be released and what sort of upgrade they will be over the 700 series?

2) What are the advantages of gsync if I am getting between 60-120fps in games? Pretty much all the review coverage I read talks about how much of a difference it makes in the 30-60fps range and I am wondering if I am better served investing in a really nice 120Hz display rather than one with gsync.

Apologies if these questions have been asked a million times and thanks ahead of time for any help.

Bonus tech question: I am getting a single pink line down my monitor after my computer wakes from sleep. It goes away in about 15 minutes but I can't figure out what the source is. Any ideas?

Saty

Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 vs Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H, any reason to pay more for the latter if i don't really need Display Port & SLI support? Looking to do mild OC.

Chocobro

The PC turned on after plugging in everything, but now I'm at at the screen that says "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key." What do I do? Using the Gigabyte UD3H motherboard

kennah

The PC turned on after plugging in everything, but now I'm at at the screen that says "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key." What do I do? Using the Gigabyte UD3H motherboard

Reboot and select your boot device...

What are you trying to boot from? You need to select that in your boot priority in the BIOS/UEFI

Chocobro

Reboot and select your boot device...

What are you trying to boot from? You need to select that in your boot priority in the BIOS/UEFI

This is the first time turning it on so I don't know :T I'm trying to go into the BIOS when following the TechReport video.

kennah

This is the first time turning it on so I don't know :T I'm trying to go into the BIOS when following the TechReport video.

Well typically on your first time turning it on you need to boot from whatever device you're installing your OS from.

Getting into the BIOS can involve repeatedly pressing the DEL or F2 keys when you first power up the computer. (Sometimes the screen where you need to press it disappears really quickly)

KAL2006

Banned
Simple question, got an old PC, but don't want to change the motherboard, PSU or case.

What is the best graphics I can fit into my PC and will be compatible

here are my specs
Antec 300 (2 front 120 mm fans to cool the hard drives, 1 side 120 x 25 mm Fan to cool graphic cards)
Antec EarthWatts 650W PSU
XFX HD 4870 1GB DDR5
AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz Socket AM3 6MB L3
(SB700) ASUS M4A78 770 Socket AM2+ 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard (CPU Power up to 125W)
Corsair 4Gb (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 XMS2 Memory CL5 (5-6-6-18) 2.1V
Western Digital WD1001FALS 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache - OEM Caviar Black
Samsung SH-S223 22X DVD±RW/RAM/DL Serial ATA Black Bare Drive

kharma45

Simple question, got an old PC, but don't want to change the motherboard, PSU or case.

What is the best graphics I can fit into my PC and will be compatible

here are my specs
Antec 300 (2 front 120 mm fans to cool the hard drives, 1 side 120 x 25 mm Fan to cool graphic cards)
Antec EarthWatts 650W PSU
XFX HD 4870 1GB DDR5
AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz Socket AM3 6MB L3
(SB700) ASUS M4A78 770 Socket AM2+ 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard (CPU Power up to 125W)
Corsair 4Gb (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 XMS2 Memory CL5 (5-6-6-18) 2.1V
Western Digital WD1001FALS 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache - OEM Caviar Black
Samsung SH-S223 22X DVD±RW/RAM/DL Serial ATA Black Bare Drive

Your PSU can take anything, but your CPU will bottleneck in CPU stuff. I wouldn't bother going much fancier than say an AMD 270 or a GTX 660.

Chocobro

Well typically on your first time turning it on you need to boot from whatever device you're installing your OS from.

Getting into the BIOS can involve repeatedly pressing the DEL or F2 keys when you first power up the computer. (Sometimes the screen where you need to press it disappears really quickly)

Ohh I see.. Looks like I'll have to get Windows on a USB flash drive. Thanks kennah.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So if I upgrade CPU and GPU what would be the best CPU and GPU to upgrade to

I wouldn't bother upgrading the CPU, you could get a 4 or 6 core Phenom II but those would really be your only options without replacing the CPU+Mobo+RAM. I don't think the upgrade would be substantial enough to be worth the cost. Just get a cooler and OC if you can't upgrade everything now.

You could upgrade to any GPU but just about any decent GPU is going to be at least a little bottlenecked by that CPU. Especially at stock speed. If you're not planning to do a full upgrade soon I wouldn't spend too much on it. The GPUs kharma recommended would be good choices. 7850 might not be a bad choice either for the price (stock is drying up on those though).

KAL2006

Banned
Okay, so I'll upgrade GPU, and overclock the CPU. So out of the GPU's recommended above which one is the best to get that is going to definitely be compatible with my motherboard

Anton668

so now that it's pretty much all finished...

Im looking at my plain ole case and such, and realizing I can get Dupont and Nash paint at cost.....

Kandy Purple would look rather sweet.... :)

and Im gonna check if I can get 3M Wrap at cost as well...

hmfVBtM.png

mkenyon

Banned
so now that it's pretty much all finished...

Im looking at my plain ole case and such, and realizing I can get Dupont and Nash paint at cost.....

Kandy Purple would look rather sweet.... :)

and Im gonna check if I can get 3M Wrap at cost as well...

hmfVBtM.png
So it begins.

PM me when you're ready for water blocks ;P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom