• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wish I'd never bothered to build a PC for someone now. I was quite unprepared for the headaches that would lie ahead :( Thought I had everything sorted but just tried to switch it on and nothing:

The blue light on the power button is lit but when I press it nothing happens. Do I just need to check all the wires inside? Maybe knocked something loose while hooking up the PSU?

You probably didn't plug in the power pin to the motherboard.

kris.

Banned
so does the stock heatsink that comes with an i5 work decently if i'm not going to overclock but still want to do some extensive gaming?

So I need a new hard drive for my desktop.

Anyone have some recommendations to buy? Looking for 1TB maybe 500~750 range also if the deal is good.

Also does it matter what I buy? I know they come in different sizes but I assume the average desktop HDD is the standard most sell. If it seems to be too complicated for me I might just go the external route.

DTKT

So I need a new hard drive for my desktop.

Anyone have some recommendations to buy? Looking for 1TB maybe 500~750 range also if the deal is good.

Also does it matter what I buy? I know they come in different sizes but I assume the average desktop HDD is the standard most sell. If it seems to be too complicated for me I might just go the external route.

WD black or blue. Black are stupidly and are supposedly "faster". I recently switched from a black to a blue and I haven't any differences. Blue are also slightly cheaper.

DTKT

Wish I'd never bothered to build a PC for someone now. I was quite unprepared for the headaches that would lie ahead :( Thought I had everything sorted but just tried to switch it on and nothing:

The blue light on the power button is lit but when I press it nothing happens. Do I just need to check all the wires inside? Maybe knocked something loose while hooking up the PSU?

Time to start the good old troubleshooting.

Make sure the front panel wires are correctly plugged in. Does the hard drive start? The fans?

:dammit dp:

mkenyon

Banned
Chicago, I have a microcenter right by my apartment. my current cart is
at 682

Z87 MSI
500W Inland
760 Gtx
8gb 1600 ddr3.

I can maybe give him my ram and save money. Problem is i may or may not have a Win 7 from an old laptop that could kill the whole thing. If i give my ram ill money to squeeze out a win 7 serial if i have to. But im already giving him my spare 1080p monitor and keyboard and mouse and my old hd that i just switched out this month.
You can get a Win 7 key from reddit.com/r/softwareswap.

If you're cutting it close, switch to an H87/B87 motherboard and lower priced i5.

Thorgal

Something i have been wondering regarding the 800 series :

The shrinking to 20 nm will give these cards a very big performance increase .that is without a doubt.

However . so far i have not heard much about how big that increase is going to be in measurable terms .

Will it be like going from a 400 series to the 700 series ?

Is the increase going to be so huge as to dwarf anything out on the market including the very high end cards (290x and 780 ti) ?

If yes . how huge will the difference be ?

I get that people are excited for those cards but people 's expectations are so high that i fear there will be massive disappointment if the jump will be less then people expect.

mkenyon

Banned
Something i have been wondering regarding the 800 series :

The shrinking to 20 nm will give these cards a very big performance increase .that is without a doubt.

However . so far i have not heard much about how big that increase is going to be in measurable terms .

Will it be like going from a 400 series to the 700 series ?

Is the increase going to be so huge as to dwarf anything out on the market including the very high end cards (290x and 780 ti) ?

If yes . how huge will the difference be ?

I get that people are excited for those cards but people 's expectations are so high that i fear there will be massive disappointment if the jump will be less then people expect.
Here's what'll happen, which is what they did with Kepler.

The GK110 is what we now know as Titan/780/780Ti. GK104 was the 680/670, now 770.

When 8xx comes out, they're release their 104 variant as the new top end card, the GTX 880. It'll be a 10-25% bump over the 780Ti and 290x. Then a year or more later, they'll release an updated Titan or 980 on the 110 chipset, which is the card you're thinking about.

They can't sustain die shrinks and architectural changes fast enough to keep up with refreshes anymore. 10-25% boost in performance is what we should be expecting for the forseeable future.

Chocobro

I received everything but the GPU, that's coming in on Tuesday right before Christmas. First time building so I hope nothing breaks or screws up haha. Hopefully I can finish everything tonight and use tomorrow afternoon to fool install Windows and the drivers before going out of town for a few days.
h5uAPYP.jpg
I hope you guys will bear with my silly questions in the coming days.

Talents

Banned
So guys I'm wanting to sell my old computer on Amazon, and want your advice on how much I could get for it. It isn't the best computer to play games on but it does a decent job. It has a Radeon HD 6870 inside it, 8GB of RAM, 1TB HDD, and a 2.4GHz (or 2.6GHz can't remember exactly) processor inside it. How much do you guys think I could sell it for? I remember testing it on games like TERA and the old Final Fantasy XIV and it handled it well on highish settings. Sorry I can't give you guys more precise details as I haven't used the computer in almost a year now.

kennah

So guys I'm wanting to sell my old computer on Amazon, and want your advice on how much I could get for it. It isn't the best computer to play games on but it does a decent job. It has a Radeon HD 6870 inside it, 8GB of RAM, 1TB HDD, and a 2.4GHz (or 2.6GHz can't remember exactly) processor inside it. How much do you guys think I could sell it for? I remember testing it on games like TERA and the old Final Fantasy XIV and it handled it well on highish settings. Sorry I can't give you guys more precise details as I haven't used the computer in almost a year now.

Hard to say without more details. 2.4 or 2.6 ghz could mean anything.

even w/ wireless?

I have the wireless 360 controller adapter and it works fine with Windows 8.1. I don't know if the driver was pre-installed in Windows or auto-downloaded when I first attached the dongle. It seems to work fine, though I haven't spent a whole lot of time using since I upgraded, I did briefly test it.

Chocobro

Mmmmmm.... Ducky. Good stuff.

Bring on the questions. :p
The Ducky Mech. KB was a refurb for $99 so I thought why not.

Silly question #1: Just so I don't make the same mistake as another GAFer did many pages back. Is this the correct orientation for the Noctua NH-D14 on the UD3H? Blowing towards the ports because the arrows under the fan points in that direction.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Silly question #1: Just so I don't make the same mistake as another GAFer did many pages back. Is this the correct orientation for the Noctua NH-D14 on the UD3H? Blowing towards the ports because the arrows under the fan points in that direction.

Yes, you want the fans blowing air toward the rear exhaust fan.

Irobot82

Good lord that one huge heatsink. Reminds me that my water cooler was a good purchase. Looks like you have a nice set up though. Love the Fractal case I have one myself.

ElementJJ

Banned
Good lord that one huge heatsink. Reminds me that my water cooler was a good purchase. Looks like you have a nice set up though. Love the Fractal case I have one myself.

Still think air>water unless custom loop. The corsair H100i pretty much matches a Noctua D14, but costs way more, plus you have the pump noise. D14 is very quiet.

I missed the $199.99 sale on the 4770k i7 at Microcenter. It is now 249.99 there until the 26th. Does anyone have experience with these kind of deals with Intel CPUs? Do you think it will get as low as $199.99 within the next few months? Also if I start with this 1150 socket CPU do you think is has a bright future for upgrading to the next 1150 CPUs 3 or 4 years down the line? I really want to build a PC for around a grand and it will be used for PC gaming and Dolphin.

kharma45

I missed the $199.99 sale on the 4770k i7 at Microcenter. It is now 249.99 there until the 26th. Does anyone have experience with these kind of deals with Intel CPUs? Do you think it will get as low as $199.99 within the next few months? Also if I start with this 1150 socket CPU do you think is has a bright future for upgrading to the next 1150 CPUs 3 or 4 years down the line? I really want to build a PC for around a grand and it will be used for PC gaming and Dolphin.

Can't predict on the pricing, my gut says no.

1150 has only one more CPU life cycle with Broadwell (ignoring Haswell refresh if it comes). Skylake will be after that and on a new socket. Intel only retains the socket for two generations.

x3r0123

hey guys, first canadian to quote me wins a 10% off code for ncix
edit: well then, nobody wants this so i'll give it somewhere else

thespot84

for those that are using a wireless 360 controller. is that on a desktop build? is it bluetooth? Are you using a usb adapter? (I have a crappy $20 one from amazon that came with horrendous drivers) So confused right now.

I have the official Xbox 360 controller wireless adapter I bought 3 or so years ago. I definitely did not install drivers. They were either included with 8.1 or they auto-downloaded when I connected it. It's ms proprietary wireless so Bluetooth isn't going to work but there are a lot of 3rd party adapters that apparently work.

Do we know anything more about Mantle yet, like if it even works as promised?

I thought BF4 was supposed to start supporting it sometime this month.

My new PC won't power on. :( My friend came over last night and helped me put it together, but when we press the power button, nothing happens at all. As far as I know, everything is plugged in properly.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4430 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus B85M-G Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16gb ddr3
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Case: Aerocool DS-Cube MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($109.99)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Do we know anything more about Mantle yet, like if it even works as promised?

I thought BF4 was supposed to start supporting it sometime this month.

The last I've heard was still end of December but I haven't heard anything since like mid November. Considering the rapid patching the game is going through lately and the number of issues that still need addressed, I would be surprised if the patch was released on schedule but it has not yet been officially delayed.

brentech

My new PC won't power on. :( My friend came over last night and helped me put it together, but when we press the power button, nothing happens at all. As far as I know, everything is plugged in properly.

Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
tried the reset button instead of power? sometimes people just use the wrong connecting pins and need to swap them.
sometimes when working on a system i just forget to switch the PSU power switch from 0 to 1 as well. a lot of times it's just basic things like that.

you use motherboard risers, and check to see if all of the ones installed have a screw into them?

mkenyon

Banned
Still think air>water unless custom loop. The corsair H100i pretty much matches a Noctua D14, but costs way more, plus you have the pump noise. D14 is very quiet.
Yeah. It's really utility vs. aesthetics. Though, one of my favorite builds I've seen on the net to this day is a fully air cooled system:

Make sure the cable for your switch is properly installed on the PWR BTN jumpers. Pic from your motherboard's manual:

If possible, post a pic of the inside so we can double check everything.

Chocobro

I have everything attached to the case and I'm currently attaching cables to the motherboard, however I noticed something and that brings me to...

Question #2: My PSU is bottom mounted so which position is better for the PSU? Fan pointing upward or pointing downward? I have it as in the picture below and it affects my cable management. According to a YouTube video my cousin linked me, having the fan point downward will have the PSU be cooler whereas the opposite will be a bit warmer, true or false?

t-ramp

I have everything attached to the case and I'm currently attaching cables to the motherboard, however I noticed something and that brings me to...

Question #2: My PSU is bottom mounted so which position is better for the PSU? Fan pointing upward or pointing downward? I have it as in the picture below and it affects my cable management. According to a YouTube video my cousin linked me, having the fan point downward will have the PSU be cooler whereas the opposite will be a bit warmer, true or false?
As long as there is a vent and some clearance under the case, installing the PSU with the fan down is often more convenient for cable management. You obviously wouldn't want to do that if the case was on carpet or something, though. It's mostly about airflow.

Chocobro

As long as there is a vent and some clearance under the case, installing the PSU with the fan down is often more convenient for cable management. You obviously wouldn't want to do that if the case was on carpet or something, though. It's mostly about airflow.

Sounds good to me as it is needed for cable management and I'll have the PC on hardwood floor so airflow should be good :) Thanks for the prompt response!

mkenyon

Banned
Just keep in mind that's the intake for the PSU. If there's no filter below the PSU, then it'll suck a ton of dust in from a hardwood floor. I killed an HTPC from too much buildup doing the same thing.

If you don't have a filter, just be sure to blow some compressed air into your psu while keeping the fan still every now and then.

tried the reset button instead of power? sometimes people just use the wrong connecting pins and need to swap them.
sometimes when working on a system i just forget to switch the PSU power switch from 0 to 1 as well. a lot of times it's just basic things like that.

you use motherboard risers, and check to see if all of the ones installed have a screw into them?

Tried both. Flipped the psu switch a couple times too. The motherboard was put on risers and a screw was put into all the holes that lined up with the case.

Also, one new detail: When the psu is turned on, there is a faint clicking noise coming from it. I have no idea what this means, but at least it's something.

NoRéN

Tried both. Flipped the psu switch a couple times too. The motherboard was put on risers and a screw was put into all the holes that lined up with the case.

Also, one new detail: When the psu is turned on, there is a faint clicking noise coming from it. I have no idea what this means, but at least it's something.

Were the standoffs preinstalled?

Chocobro

Just keep in mind that's the intake for the PSU. If there's no filter below the PSU, then it'll suck a ton of dust in from a hardwood floor. I killed an HTPC from too much buildup doing the same thing.

If you don't have a filter, just be sure to blow some compressed air into your psu while keeping the fan still every now and then.

Thanks for the warning. The Fractal Define R4 does have a filter on the bottom so I don't need to worry too much then.
All the cables are such are connected but it's pretty late for me to try to turn it on. I'll do that after breakfast tomorrow. Pretty fun to put together a PC :D

EDIT: This is how it looks like for now. I might see if I can do some better cable management on the other side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom