• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

diaspora

I want to get me a SSD. But once I do. How do I erase the OS from my old HDD without deleting my personal content

My Samsung SSD came with software that lets you clone your HDD to your SSD. Once it's been copied you can erase your HDD with no risk. Of course it's best to back up your content to another separate drive too.

Roland1979

If you've a filter on your case (which the R4 does) place the fan DOWN, otherwise you're just drawing in warm(ish) air from your case rather than cooler air from outside.

I've read that hybrid PSUs, if you want to use the hybrid function, or better of mounting fan up regardless of bottom filter. It stated that the reason for this is that hybrids often don't have fans rotating unless you use a lot of juice. Upside up is supposedly best since heat climbs. I have the R4 and a hybrid (Seasonic X650) so i'm quite curious right now.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Except the stupid SB/IB logging parity check errors under synthetics and keep chugging along but games wouldn't handle the errors and crash. Took me hours to figure out why it was stable under prime but not BF3.

Whoa, what? Does enabling error checking in Prime95 override that? because I have seen compilation tools get unstable while synthetics were stable. This may explain why.

RedSwirl

So what's people's solution to the mouse-and-keyboard-from-a-couch problem?

I'm fine just sitting the keyboard in my lap. My problem is that the only thing I have for the mouse right now is a tray that's a tad bit too high for what I'm sitting on. I can browse and stuff like that, but playing a game for an extended period of time like this just wrecks my wrist. A lower tray I guess?

Edit: From image searches it seems like I just need to find a really big slab of wood to sit in my lap.

HoosTrax

I'm fine just sitting the keyboard in my lap. My problem is that the only thing I have for the mouse right now is a tray that's a tad bit too high for what I'm sitting on. I can browse and stuff like that, but playing a game for an extended period of time like this just wrecks my wrist. A lower tray I guess?

Edit: From image searches it seems like I just need to find a really big slab of wood to sit in my lap.
I've seen some comfy couch gamers recommend something like the Phantom Lapboard:
712e%2BS9JWNL._SL1500_.jpg

Are you using the mouse just to navigate while browsing, or actually to play things like FPSs? If it's the former, then Logitech makes several keyboards with built-in trackpads. I think they made one intended to be used for the PS3, but I assume that means it's just a bluetooth keyboard and would work in Windows as well.

Get a Dave table from IKEA or a Cideko Air Keyboard Conqueror.

Red Comet

Alright, so in a week or so I'll be upgrading my graphics card and I was wondering what is the best single card that you guys would recommend for under $1000. Would it be the EVGA 780 ti Dual Classified or is there something better out there?

How's this for an SSD?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...tops/2001001.p?id=1219068207917&skuId=2001001

They have this same ssd for 90 on Amazon so I would price match witch bestbuy if my fellow gaffer say it's good

Edit: actually this says laptop... could I still use it for a desktop?

Samsung makes one of if not the best SSD's. Very solid. The 840 EVO uses cheaper memory, but it's not likely to be an issue unless you run reads and writes 24/7. SSD's can go in both desktops and laptops. I don't know your case, but if it doesn't support 2.5" drives, then you'll need to get an adapter, but if it's a fairly modern case it should support SSD's.

xkramz

Samsung makes one of if not the best SSD's. Very solid. The 840 EVO uses cheaper memory, but it's not likely to be an issue unless you run reads and writes 24/7. SSD's can go in both desktops and laptops. I don't know your case, but if it doesn't support 2.5" drives, then you'll need to get an adapter, but if it's a fairly modern case it should support SSD's.
Thanks bro and one more question would you post Kingston ssd or samsung?

maneil99

So im not sure if I turned off my computer or not but when I got home it was off. Anyway to check, event log simply says it did not reboot properly.

Thanks bro and one more question would you post Kingston ssd or samsung?

I don't understand the question. If you are asking if I'd choose a Kingston or Samsung, then I'd go with Samsung. I have a Samsung 830 in my gaming desktop and I've had no problems. That's not to say that Kingtston is bad or anything, If price is equal, then get Samsung, if you can only afford the Kingston, that will be alright. Lots of people get the Kingstons for cheap and seem to be happy.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
guys help. I have the following OLD computer. I built it using the I need a new PC thread back in around 2009

mobo - ASUS M4A78 770 Socket AM2+ 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard
processor - Amd PHENOM II X4 940
RAM - OCZ Gold 4GB DDR2 800 RAM x2
GPU - XFX Radeon HD 4890 (1GBDDR5)
PSU - Coolermaster eXtreme Power Plus 460w PSU
HDD WD 640GB

the above all pretty much chokes down to around 15FPS when all set to low in battlefield 3.

I'm looking to update or renew my setup to essentially play all the newest stuff for a while, but would like to save some cash where I can. I guess I want to know if any of the above is salvageable (GPU has to go obviously it has shit loads of problems with win8/drivers and it's generally crappy as well).

What is the drawback of having an overkill PSU? I'm using that one myself with my mid range PC.

Iirc PSU efficiency is highest at about 80-90% load so if you have a massively over powered PSU you will be drawing more energy.
Not gonna be a huge deal though.

nOoblet16

So my old M14x is about to break and I don't want to spend any more money on it, I have a desktop as my main gaming rig so this purchase is for uni work and travel.

Is razer blade (14 inch) worth getting over the Alienware 14? Blade costs the same, is lighter, better spec-ed and has better battery life but since it's not available in EU I get no warranty at all. Alienware has a better screen and possibly better build quality and probably runs somewhat cooler...and yea next day service warranty.

So pretty much the only deciding factor is should I got for no warranty or not? Also Blade will have a smaller HDD and no optical drive (this is a pain) at all.

Ty4on

Iirc PSU efficiency is highest at about 80-90% load so if you have a massively over powered PSU you will be drawing more energy.
Not gonna be a huge deal though.
Usually around 50%, but don't go that overkill unless you plan on mining or something. Most high quality PSUs have graphs over their efficiency available.

kennah

guys help. I have the following OLD computer. I built it using the I need a new PC thread back in around 2009

mobo - ASUS M4A78 770 Socket AM2+ 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard
processor - Amd PHENOM II X4 940
RAM - OCZ Gold 4GB DDR2 800 RAM x2
GPU - XFX Radeon HD 4890 (1GBDDR5)
PSU - Coolermaster eXtreme Power Plus 460w PSU
HDD WD 640GB

the above all pretty much chokes down to around 15FPS when all set to low in battlefield 3.

I'm looking to update or renew my setup to essentially play all the newest stuff for a while, but would like to save some cash where I can. I guess I want to know if any of the above is salvageable (GPU has to go obviously it has shit loads of problems with win8/drivers and it's generally crappy as well).

You'll be able to keep your case powersupply and hard drive. Budget for the upgrade?

kai3345

Banned
Hey guys, this is the PC I'm attempting to build:

But I'm missing a graphics card and am looking for recommendations.

This is my first PC build ever, so I'm pretty ignorant on 90% of this stuff.

I'm wanting to use this PC primarily for editing HD video, and some light after effects usage, as well as a little bit of gaming on the side.

My budget was originally $800 but now it's looking more like $900-1000. With 1K being the absolute max I cannot exceed. So is this a good build for what I'm looking for? And what sort of graphics card would this machine need? Thanks guys

kennah

Hey guys, this is the PC I'm attempting to build:

But I'm missing a graphics card and am looking for recommendations.

This is my first PC build ever, so I'm pretty ignorant on 90% of this stuff.

I'm wanting to use this PC primarily for editing HD video, and some light after effects usage, as well as a little bit of gaming on the side.

My budget was originally $800 but now it's looking more like $900-1000. With 1K being the absolute max I cannot exceed. So is this a good build for what I'm looking for? And what sort of graphics card would this machine need? Thanks guys
Do you have a microcenter hear you? You could shave $50 off the cpu.

I would get a 760 at the minimum for what you want to do. Adobe takes good advantage of those cores. You wouldnMt get much of a boost from a 770

ElementJJ

Banned

That works, or just have the keyboard on your lap, that whats i do atm, and i use the mouse on the sofa arm rest. Want to get a cloth mouse mat for the mouse though. Leather can be make mouse movement a little jumpy. Im all wireless too. I play BF3 and have good fun, dont feel hugely disadvantaged, once i get the mouse mat i should be fine.

Vancha

Guys, I have a question.

I want to look for a small form factor gaming rig that is about the same size (or a little bigger) then an Xbox One to place beneath out TV. I have already looked up about everything known so far on the steam Machines, but I assume it will be another 6 - 12 months before they pop up in Europe?

Now I wonder. Has anyone purchased the Alienware X51 yet and what did you think of it? Or is there another way to build my own small form factor gaming rig?

Main usage purposes: Video playback and gaming (FF XIV, Guild Wars 2, Indie Games, Titanfall when it comes out.)

ElementJJ

Banned
Guys, I have a question.

I want to look for a small form factor gaming rig that is about the same size (or a little bigger) then an Xbox One to place beneath out TV. I have already looked up about everything known so far on the steam Machines, but I assume it will be another 6 - 12 months before they pop up in Europe?

Now I wonder. Has anyone purchased the Alienware X51 yet and what did you think of it? Or is there another way to build my own small form factor gaming rig?

Main usage purposes: Video playback and gaming (FF XIV, Guild Wars 2, Indie Games, Titanfall when it comes out.)

Not much out there that is using a horizontal type chassis, some options here
http://www.overclock.net/t/1445841/steambox-like-cases-horizontal-use-of-space

Other small chassis include the Hadron, Node 304 and Phenom.

That works, or just have the keyboard on your lap, that whats i do atm, and i use the mouse on the sofa arm rest. Want to get a cloth mouse mat for the mouse though. Leather can be make mouse movement a little jumpy. Im all wireless too. I play BF3 and have good fun, dont feel hugely disadvantaged, once i get the mouse mat i should be fine.

i picked up at logitech k400 bluetooth keyboard plus touchpad for 20 bucks during black friday. it works wonderfully. theres an upgraded model for like 60 iirc. made it so much easier than using usb kb/m.

FLAguy954

I need some tips on a build I plan on building next year after the release of Kaveri (plus some future-proofing for Carrizo in 2015).

I want to know:
- What would be the best CPU cooler for FM2+ CPU?
- If the CPU cooler's heat pipes come directly in contact with the CPU, how would I go about applying thermal paste if the surface isn't even/smooth?

Here is my future build minus the unreleased APU. I already have a monitor, Windows 7, accessories, etc. (Also the expensive ram is to feed the APU, getting a dGPU later):

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($27.97 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A88X Extreme6+ ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($104.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: A-Data XPG V2 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2600 Memory ($120.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Case: Corsair Graphite Series 230T Grey ATX Mid Tower Case ($76.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Cooler Master i600 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($55.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $493.89
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-22 13:55 EST-0500)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I need some tips on a build I plan on building next year after the release of Kaveri (plus some future-proofing for Carrizo in 2015).

I want to know:
- What would be the best CPU cooler for FM2+ CPU?
- If the CPU cooler's heat pipes come directly in contact with the CPU, how would I go about applying thermal paste if the surface isn't even/smooth?

I think AMD mounting has been standardized since AM2 (or maybe since 939?) so any cooler that supports AMD CPUs should work on FM2+. So what the "best" is just depends on how much you want to spend.

Not sure about the second question, I've never used a cooler like that but I'd just apply it the same way unless included instructions say otherwise. Dab on the CPU, then stick the cooler on it. The surface should still be pretty even/smooth even with HDT, at least I'd assume so.

FLAguy954

I think AMD mounting has been standardized since AM2 (or maybe since 939?) so any cooler that supports AMD CPUs should work on FM2+. So what the "best" is just depends on how much you want to spend.

Not sure about the second question, I've never used a cooler like that but I'd just apply it the same way unless included instructions say otherwise. Dab on the CPU, then stick the cooler on it. The surface should still be pretty even/smooth even with HDT, at least I'd assume so.

Okay, cool. I think I'll just stick to the CPU cooler I selected on pcpartpicker, thanks.

kennah

Okay, cool. I think I'll just stick to the CPU cooler I selected on pcpartpicker, thanks.
H212 is great.

That said - no surface is smooth so that is the point of the thermal paste. To fill in the gaps that you can see (and not see) to provide the solid contact.

Best cooler depends on your case. If you were going small form factor then the 212 is not a good choice ;)

FLAguy954

H212 is great.

That said - no surface is smooth so that is the point of the thermal paste. To fill in the gaps that you can see (and not see) to provide the solid contact.

Best cooler depends on your case. If you were going small form factor then the 212 is not a good choice ;)

I have a mid tower case so I should be good. And as this review indicates, the case has plenty of room for even the tallest coolers.

I need help picking out a new CPU and GPU. My old Phenom II x4 965 and HD 6870 are really showing their age and I want to upgrade within the next 6 months. But I don't want to break the bank doing so (I'd say my limit is $500).

• Your Current Specs: AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE / 8gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM / ASRock 970DE3/U3S3 AM3+ Mobo / XFX Radeon HD 6870 1gb / Corsair CX600, 600w PSU 80 Plus Bronze / Cooler Master Elite 430 Tower / 2x Samsung Spinpoint 500gb 7200rpm HDDs
  • Budget: ~$500 - USA
  • Main Use: Gaming - 5, General Usage - 4, Video Editing - 3.
  • Monitor Resolution: 1600x900. I plan to stay at this for the foreseeable future.
  • List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: DayZ Standalone, Battlefield 4, Civilization V, Dragon Age: Inquisition, and any future Elder Scrolls or Fallout titles at Max/Ultra settings at a solid 60fps.
  • Looking to reuse any parts?: I'd like to keep my mobo, RAM, PSU, Case, and HDDs. I am most focused on raw CPU/GPU power right now. Eventually I'll get a more cable-management friendly case, but that isn't my priority right now.
  • When will you build?: Do you have a deadline?: Before the release of Dragon Age: Inquisition.
  • Will you be overclocking?: Most likely no, I will have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo cooler, so I probably will be able to OC my CPU if I need to.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I need help picking out a new CPU and GPU. My old Phenom II x4 965 and HD 6870 are really showing their age and I want to upgrade within the next 6 months. But I don't want to break the bank doing so (I'd say my limit is $500).

• Your Current Specs: AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE / 8gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM / ASRock 970DE3/U3S3 AM3+ Mobo / XFX Radeon HD 6870 1gb / Corsair CX600, 600w PSU 80 Plus Bronze / Cooler Master Elite 430 Tower / 2x Samsung Spinpoint 500gb 7200rpm HDDs
  • Budget: ~$500 - USA
  • Main Use: Gaming - 5, General Usage - 4, Video Editing - 3.
  • Monitor Resolution: 1600x900. I plan to stay at this for the foreseeable future.
  • List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: DayZ Standalone, Battlefield 4, Civilization V, Dragon Age: Inquisition, and any future Elder Scrolls or Fallout titles at Max/Ultra settings at a solid 60fps.
  • Looking to reuse any parts?: I'd like to keep my mobo, RAM, PSU, Case, and HDDs. I am most focused on raw CPU/GPU power right now. Eventually I'll get a more cable-management friendly case, but that isn't my priority right now.
  • When will you build?: Do you have a deadline?: Before the release of Dragon Age: Inquisition.
  • Will you be overclocking?: Most likely no, I will have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo cooler, so I probably will be able to OC my CPU if I need to.

You aren't really going to get much of a CPU upgrade unless you buy an Intel CPU. AMDs current offerings aren't really much better than what you're using now, not really worth the cost of upgrading.

I know you said you most likely won't OC, but that's really your best bet right now. 965 being BE, that makes it really easy to OC thanks to the unlocked multiplier, and you already have a nice cooler. I'd probably buy some VRM heatsinks if you do try to OC. They're just little once you stick on and run fairly cheap.

Other than that I'd just say get a SSD and use the money left to buy a GPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom