• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Does anyone have the Asrock Z77 Pro4 Board that can tell me where the CPU voltage setting is in the BIOS? All I see is offset.

Does anyone have the Asrock Z77 Pro4 Board that can tell me where the CPU voltage setting is in the BIOS? All I see is offset.

I believe you have to change a setting to change between Offset and a static voltage. Offset allows you to keep the whole low/high power modes that came with the Sandy Bridge and newer CPUs. If you set a non-changing voltage then it'll be like that permanently, and you lose out on the power saving stuff.

I can't remember what the setting is called though, sorry.

kharma45

Awww Okay, thank you. But I wanted a full tower so it would all fit, I've seen how tight of a fit graphics cards fit inside of a mid. I get so lost on the parts so thank you for helping. :)

You'll have no issue fitting any single GPU into something like the R4. $80 atm for one. With the R4 you can remove the drive cage in the middle and give yourself loads of room like so

fd-define-r4-black-side-large.jpg

img_1688.jpg

Absolutely no need for a full tower unless you're doing a proper water cooled set up

Any reason you are going AMD for the CPU? At the high end stuff intel wins pretty much every time.

Its cheaper. . . . . I'm a poor college student.

But not my much, the only way to really save from a 3570K would be to go for an 8320, it's around $60-70 cheaper than the i5 http://us.ncix.com/products/?usaffi...pn=FD8320FRHKBOX&manufacture=AMD&promoid=1052

I don't think the option is there, I couldn't find it with my Pro 3.

mkenyon

Banned
What's the opinion of 120 hz monitors for people with the GPU power to get + 60 on most games out/coming out in the near future?

My main concern is the lowest amount of input lag and ghosting possible, is 120hz worth it?
I will never use a 60hz monitor again.

For your concerns, it is right up your alley. Do it. Except, get the ASUS 144hz or the upcoming BenQ 144Hz.

aquavelva

GAF, if I get a GTX 660 2GB, what kind of performance can I expect with my current hardware?

CPU: Core i5 3450 (3.1GHz)
MB: Intel DH61BE
RAM: 8GB DDR3
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 430W

I'm guessing all I'd need to upgrade is my PSU after I get the card. My max resolution is 1600x900, but I'd also be playing on my 720p projector from time to time.

Would I be able to run most games pretty decently?

kharma45

GAF, if I get a GTX 660 2GB, what kind of performance can I expect with my current hardware?

CPU: Core i5 3450 (3.1GHz)
MB: Intel DH61BE
RAM: 8GB DDR3
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 430W

I'm guessing all I'd need to upgrade is my PSU after I get the card. My max resolution is 1600x900, but I'd also be playing on my 720p projector from time to time.

Would I be able to run most games pretty decently?

Good performance, that CPU won't hold you back in most games at that resolution. 660 will do nicely. PSU will be fine too.

W1SSY

Just wanted to pop into the thread and thank everyone for this amazing thread. Just built my first pc the other day and got most of my information from this thread.

clav

Still struggling whether I need an upgrade now to GTX 660 from a 9800 GT or wait until the next graphics cards are out.

I don't want to spend money when I know that Direct X 11.2 is coming out soon.

Tiled resources is going to be huge.

edit: Oh, so Direct X11 cards can run 11.2 at least according to the BUILD presentation. Hm. Upgrade now I suppose.

Still struggling whether I need an upgrade now to GTX 660 from a 9800 GT or wait until the next graphics cards are out.

I don't want to spend money when I know that Direct X 11.2 is coming out soon.

Tiled resources is going to be huge.

Define next gen cards

Because they are basically already here. Get a 780 and whenever you need to upgrade getting a second should pretty much do the trick.

SLI gives a lot of options now, no reason to wait.

clav

Define next gen cards

Because they are basically already here. Get a 780 and whenever you need to upgrade getting a second should pretty much do the trick.

SLI gives a lot of options now, no reason to wait.

Using shared memory pool from system RAM with GPU RAM. Some crazy tech right there although I was wondering before if it required a new graphics card line to do that.

I just watched the BUILD presentation, and the presenter said 11.2 works on Direct X 11 cards.

I have a 430 Watt setup, so I'm going to go with a GTX 660 as power consumption is important to me, and electricity will be more expensive in the future.

Also, SLI is not worth the headache nor the price + added points of failure. Expensive motherboard. More electricity. A higher wattage power supply. Two graphics cards. When one GPU fails, the whole thing BSODs.

Roland1979

I will never use a 60hz monitor again.

For your concerns, it is right up your alley. Do it. Except, get the ASUS 144hz or the upcoming BenQ 144Hz.

The BenQ XL2411T is 144Hz (and already on the market), even though they don't advertise it as such. Probably because it can't run 144Hz in 3D mode, "only" 120Hz. The BenQ should be slightly cheaper then the Asus and is not glossy, the Asus is. So aesthetics might influence his choice. I personally don't like glossy peripherals since they might distract.

Sober

Not really, especially if you use the stock cooler.
It's skirting around the 75s right now, rarely jumps past 78 into 80.

I'm on a 212 evo at stock speed (3.4ghz) with those temps. Guess I should double check the 212 is installed properly. :(

I got 8GB Ram and my CPU is AMD Phenom II X6 1035T processor 2.60 ...My card is ATI Radeon HD 5700 series, it is a pre-made computer and now I'm looking to upgrade it. Should I do my CPU or my card first?
Depends. If you're looking forward to gaming now but not the most high end stuff with medium settings go with the GPU first. If you want to wait to play better games later buy a good cpu. But remember if you want to use the same MB check the socket before buying a new cpu. If not uoill have to buy both a mobo and a cpu for it. Then buy a good GPU.

Personally I'd go with the GPU, you got a good CPU there to run most games. Check your mobo model specs. And see if it can accept PCIe and what version is it.

Also you can PM me

Mr. Hyde

Just received mine yesterday, it's even 144hz. BenQ XL2411T. In dollars probably slightly over $300 but if you need to save up another month for something that will outlive your rig then by all means do so. It's not only one of the cheapest 120Hz monitors, in 2D it even goes over 120Hz, has almost 0 input lag and almost 0 response time, making it a perfect gaming monitor, especially for fps, racing and fighting games.

That monitor seems really nice. It doesn't seem to be IPS but it looks beautiful. It's $280.00 in american dollars at amazon.

Toski

I'm on a 212 evo at stock speed (3.4ghz) with those temps. Guess I should double check the 212 is installed properly. :(
I get temps in that range on my 4770k with the same cooler and stock voltage during Prime95. Haswell is a hot chip.

Roland1979

Just picked up the xl2420t. Was trying to decide between that and the vg248. Did I make the right decision!?

You probably can't go wrong with either. So yours does come with a NVIDIA 3D kit? I have to buy that separately, but Steam sales left me broke and my wallet broken anyways.

You probably can't go wrong with either. So yours does come with a NVIDIA 3D kit? I have to buy that separately, but Steam sales left me broke and my wallet broken anyways.

Does not come with a kit but I didn't buy it for the 3d capabilities. I think I will try the 2d lightboost hack though.

Mad Max

For stock speeds that does seem pretty high, although it's not worrisome yet. You could try remounting it: First clean everthing with alchohol/nailpolish remover and then apply a reasonably sized ball (~4mm, see the OP) of thermal paste to the middle of the cpu's headspreader and let the mounting pressure spread it out.

Nucl3arSnake

Neo Member
It's a fine enougn build bar that PSU, I'd get something else. How much is it costing? Case too? You could upgrade to an i5 but you won't be able to overclock.

PSU is 44 €.
THERMALTAKE Commander MS-I VN40001W2Z 39.46€.
COOLER MASTER RC-334U-KKN1 40.60 €.
I also found BitFenix Merc Alpha 43€. Can you recommend some good PSU?

kharma45

PSU is 44 €.
THERMALTAKE Commander MS-I VN40001W2Z 39.46€.
COOLER MASTER RC-334U-KKN1 40.60 €.
I also found BitFenix Merc Alpha 43€. Can you recommend some good PSU?

What country are you in? What websites do you shop with for these components?

Talkning about price/performance ratio and using Amazon as price reference:

An FX 6300:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009O7YORK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Gigabyte 78lmt:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009FC3YJ8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Do anyone know of a better combination or has any comments regarding those components? Many thanks.

Get a better board. How far can you stretch?

Coldsnap

Anyone have a Corsair Link Cooling Kit? Sorta want to get one since I have pretty much all corsair parts in my computer that would play well with it. Just not sure if it's worth the extra cables in my 350D.

Get a better board. How far can you stretch?
Hey Kharma thanks for dedicating me some time.

I don't know man, im already stretching, what kind of problem you see withh the board? Or which one would you suggest? Also im looking for advice on when would be a good time to upgrade, anything moving on the AMD front the next few months that might give opportunity for better deals?

kharma45

Sadly im in Serbia -.-'
This is the site
Code:
http://www.emmi.rs/naslovna_stranica.1.html

How does this look price wise? http://www.emmi.rs/napajanja-i-doda...20w-seasonic-ss-520gb.11.html?productId=16814

Not the most modern unit but it is good quality.

Hey Kharma thanks for dedicating me some time.

I don't know man, im already stretching, what kind of problem you see withh the board? Or which one would you suggest? Also im looking for advice on when would be a good time to upgrade, anything moving on the AMD front the next few months that might give opportunity for better deals?

It's just a very basic board, you'd be better off looking at the 970 and 990 boards. 970's around around the $80 mark and 990s $100. They'll give better overclocking results, and if you're going AMD you'll want to OC to alleviate the poor single threaded performance. You'll need to budget $20 or so for a Hyper 212 as well to do that.

AMD will have new CPUs out in the autumn time, probably October, and will still be using AM3+.

It's just a very basic board, you'd be better off looking at the 970 and 990 boards. 970's around around the $80 mark and 990s $100. They'll give better overclocking results, and if you're going AMD you'll want to OC to alleviate the poor single threaded performance. You'll need to budget $20 or so for a Hyper 212 as well to do that.

AMD will have new CPUs out in the autumn time, probably October, and will still be using AM3+.
I have the 212 plus. Coming from an MSI motherboard from 2009, im not sure how happy i am with what i got. Let's say i could stretch it to 80 for the board. Do you have a particular one in mind or at least a solid brand? I know MSi is good but maybe there are better alternatives.

kharma45

I have the 212 plus. Coming from an MSI motherboard from 2009, im not sure how happy i am with what i got. Let's say i could stretch it to 80 for the board. Do you have a particular one in mind or at least a solid brand? I know MSi is good but maybe there are better alternatives.

If you want to avoid MSI then I'd look to Gigabyte but that would take you over budget at $85 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128519

MSI G46 is $78 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073JYZ48/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Biostar has one too but I've read about problems with regards to vdrop on it. Surprisingly little selection otherwise.

Najaf

I'll be buying a Haswell chip in the late summer or early fall. Are there any motherboards on the horizon I should hold out for?

I'm a big fan of EVGA customer support, and have been waiting to see their release windows and reviews. Any others come to mind?

kharma45

I'll be buying a Haswell chip in the late summer or early fall. Are there any motherboards on the horizon I should hold out for?

I'm a big fan of EVGA customer support, and have been waiting to see their release windows and reviews. Any others come to mind?

Haven't seen any EVGA boards around for Z87. For the mainstream the MSI G45 Gaming is the one to get.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
So what's the news on AMD 9000?

I'm reading on anandtech's forums that it's out early in October, but is 28 nm because Apple is buying out all of the 20 nm production. Is that true? If so I guess we're looking at a performance bump but with a lot more power usage.

kharma45

So what's the news on AMD 9000?

I'm reading on anandtech's forums that it's out early in October, but is 28 nm because Apple is buying out all of the 20 nm production. Is that true? If so I guess we're looking at a performance bump but with a lot more power usage.

First I've heard of that. Link?

teh_pwn

Cheers.

Shame that, looks like my 7850 might have to go for longer than I expected.

Looks like a rumor still, not a lot of people invalidating it as fake. But performance expectations are unclear. Some think it's 25% bump, others something more substantial. This was supposed to be a major design bump, but I think they're releasing it early because there's no point in waiting for 20nm which won't be ready for mass production until Q3/Q4 2014 if you're not Apple or Qualcomm. We'll have to wait and see.

asdad123

Whats the best way to clone a HDD to a SSD? Im installing a mSATA SSD in my laptop tomorrow, and Id rather just clone it rather doing a complete reinstall.

Its a laptop without a CD drive, so I dont have a drivers CD, not a Windows 8 CD for reinstall.

teh_pwn

Whats the best way to clone a HDD to a SSD? Im installing a mSATA SSD in my laptop tomorrow, and Id rather just clone it rather doing a complete reinstall.

Its a laptop without a CD drive, so I dont have a drivers CD, not a Windows 8 CD for reinstall.

Symantec System Recovery or it's predecessor Norton Ghost. I've only used ghost and it's very difficult to understand at first.

Clonezilla for Linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom