• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennah

What's the general concensus on 3way and quad sli?

When you start talking about 3 and 4 video cards are you looking at diminishing returns or does the net gain stack each time appropriately?

For example if someone has two 660 ti's in SLI and wants to upgrade in three years would they be good with tri/quad sli or better off upgrading to a newer card?

Starts to scale shitty after the second card. You're way better upgrading to a higher end card than running three low end cards. The difference you'd pay in motherboard/powersupply requirements just doesn't make any sense.

strobogo

Banned
Here's what I'm looking for:

A PC that can do 1080p games at 120, do well with console game emulations (PS2/GC) handle media (possibly gaming and media at the same time on dual monitors), and be good for music creation. I typically us FL Studio, with all the synths and actually recording from amp directly into PC.

What I have right now is a refurbished Dell with a graphics card that is about 7 years old. Can't even play Marvel Super Heroes. Any gaming I do with it is at the absolutely lowest possible settings and even then, games give me trouble. I'm looking for pre built. I already have a monitor, mouse, keyboard, and speaker set up.

I'm looking probably in the $500ish range. I don't need something outrageous. I'm not a hardcore PC gamer by any stretch. Is it even doable in a prebuilt for that price?

I tried going through the OP and finding what I wanted, but that shit is too deep and confusing for me.

Salsa

would you guys worry about your PC being charged/shocking you?

it's always been this way, I think, without any issues for over a year now, but it just now happened that I touched it while barefoot and it shocked me a bit, so I figured i'd ask.

kennah

A PC that can do 1080p games at 120, do well with console game emulations (PS2/GC) handle media (possibly gaming and media at the same time on dual monitors), and be good for music creation. I typically us FL Studio, with all the synths and actually recording from amp directly into PC.

What I have right now is a refurbished Dell with a graphics card that is about 7 years old. Can't even play Marvel Super Heroes. Any gaming I do with it is at the absolutely lowest possible settings and even then, games give me trouble. I'm looking for pre built. I already have a monitor, mouse, keyboard, and speaker set up.

I'm looking probably in the $500ish range. I don't need something outrageous. I'm not a hardcore PC gamer by any stretch. Is it even doable in a prebuilt for that price?

I tried going through the OP and finding what I wanted, but that shit is too deep and confusing for me.

Not even close. Sorry dude.

KScorp

would you guys worry about your PC being charged/shocking you?

it's always been this way, I think, without any issues for over a year now, but it just now happened that I touched it while barefoot and it shocked me a bit, so I figured i'd ask.

Are you sure it's your PC that's charged? If your PC is grounded (which it should be) you'll get some static shock if you're the one who's charged. Same as if you touch some other large metal object.

Unless you're touching the internal components when you're getting the shock I wouldn't worry about damaging anything.

kharma45

Once Kharma gets on he'll help you out for sure.

Is that supposed to be ironic? :p It fixed itself in the end.

It's more expensive.

I would go i5 and budget the rest of the PC around it rather than saying I have this much to spend on each part.

8320 isn't bad though at the price point it occupies. 8350 is too close to the i5 imo usually.

Not gonna happen. You'd be looking at something like this for a DIY build at minimum (7970 or a 770 could be an option but you'd need to sacrifice IQ)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Ed 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($639.18 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: XFX 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1231.11
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-15 18:20 EDT-0400)

Tame

Ever since i discovered that while my onboard soundcard does output Dolby Digital and DTS for movies but not for games I've been toying with the idea of getting a soundcard that outputs DolbyLive and its DTS equivalent (if its possible).

Is it worth it? Do many games support these soundcards?

Been looking at some 7.1 surround cards with an optical out port to connect to my AV Receiver but i cant figure out if theres a difference between TOSLINK and S/PDIF (i thought they were all the same socket) and am worried incase i buy one thats rubbish.

Anyone point me in the right direction as to what card (if any) you would recommend

strobogo

Banned
Is that supposed to be ironic? :p It fixed itself in the end.

8320 isn't bad though at the price point it occupies. 8350 is too close to the i5 imo usually.

Not gonna happen. You'd be looking at something like this for a DIY build at minimum (7970 or a 770 could be an option but you'd need to sacrifice IQ)

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Ed 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($639.18 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1231.11
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-15 18:20 EDT-0400)

Okay. Maybe I don't need that much. I haven't purchased a new PC since 2004 or 2005 so I really am lost at what's what nowadays. Even researching it and going on google trails, I'm still pretty lost. I just want something that play games at a high level and not give me troubles. It doesn't need to play games and do videos at the same time.

I mostly use my PC to watch stuff. I don't do a lot of gaming, but because this computer can't handle it. I just want games that will play and look good. $1K for a PC is not happening for me. But damn. Shit used to be so easy to pick out what I wanted.

kharma45

Okay. Maybe I don't need that much. I haven't purchased a new PC since 2004 or 2005 so I really am lost at what's what nowadays. Even researching it and going on google trails, I'm still pretty lost. I just want something that play games at a high level and not give me troubles. It doesn't need to play games and do videos at the same time.

I mostly use my PC to watch stuff. I don't do a lot of gaming, but because this computer can't handle it. I just want games that will play and look good. $1K for a PC is not happening for me. But damn. Shit used to be so easy to pick out what I wanted.

I'll do you up a more realistic PC then, you can still get plenty of PC for your cash. Emulation still important? If so then we go Haswell.

kharma45

New Cosair 330R looks really nice

22525_corsair%20330r%20review%20-%20intro.jpg

Might prove to be some good competition for the Fractal R4, hopefully some more reviews come along soon. This is the first I've seen for it http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/corsair_carbide_330r_review,1.html

Yes. Emulation is important. Thanks.

I'll get something done up for you now.

Edit - No SSD and it's still pricey I guess but it's a solid build

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($66.61 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($249.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $861.54
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-15 18:50 EDT-0400)

Sayer

Im trying to build a pc and came up with the below specs could you let me know what you think please?

Intel i7 3770 - (4 x 3.4 GHZ) - ivy bridge
8GB 1600MHz (1x8GB) - (DDr3)
NVIDIA GFORCE GTX660 - 2GB -(GAINWARD) -(PCI-E)
Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H (Intel B75)

I'm guessing i need a a SDD along with normal harddrive? More/faster ram? Is Ivybridge the latest model or should i go i5?

Finally im not sure if the GPU is decent.

Any advice, opinions would be greatly appreciated!

kharma45

the successor to the 550D? interesting

Na not really, in a different price bracket altogether.

Im trying to build a pc and came up with the below specs could you let me know what you think please?

I'm guessing i need a a SDD along with normal harddrive? More/faster ram? Is Ivybridge the latest model or should i go i5?

Get a 3770K CPU, 4 x 2GB 2 x 4GB of RAM and a Z77 mobo. Where are you in the world and what do you expect of your PC? What's your budget?

kennah

What are you doing with it? Do you do video work? If it is just gaming get a z77 board and 3570k

kennah

What are you doing with it? Do you do video work? If it is just gaming get a z77 board and 3570k

Sayer

Thanks for replies, I'm in the UK. The above is coming in at around £750 for the tower, PSU, cooling, OS and bits and bobs.

Just gaming really, budget can stretch but I'm going for the best gaming experience for around that price.

Why 4 x 2GB would that not limit my upgrade options? I have no idea, just curious.

kharma45

Thanks for replies, I'm in the UK. The above is coming in at around £750 for the tower, PSU, cooling, OS and bits and bobs.

Just gaming really, budget can stretch but I'm going for the best gaming experience for around that price.

Why 4 x 2GB would that not limit my upgrade options? I have no idea, just curious.

Shit I meant to say 2 x 4GB instead. Gives you dual channel memory then. I'll throw something together and see what I can get for that sort of money. Is it just gaming you're looking to do or is it media stuff too?

Sayer

Shit I meant to say 2 x 4GB instead. Gives you dual channel memory then. I'll throw something together and see what I can get for that sort of money. Is it just gaming you're looking to do or is it media stuff too?

Ah makes sense. That would be excellent thanks, literally just gaming.

kharma45

Not really, Dolphin looks nice but with limited playtime i think id prefer the cost saving.

You'd be talking £768 for this, could save a few pounds on the case if you prefer the Corsair 200R over the Shinobi

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£174.93 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£17.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD55 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£101.88 @ Dabs)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£53.50 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£50.39 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card (£215.71 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: BitFenix Shinobi ATX Mid Tower Case (£49.90 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£49.86 @ Scan.co.uk)
Other: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium with Service Pack 1, 64-bit, English, 1 Pack, DSP OEI (PC) (This OEM software is intended for system builders only) (£53.89)
Total: £768.05
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-16 00:38 BST+0100)

760 comes with the new Splinter Cell game for free so you could sell it to off-set the cost if you wish. You could also save a few more pounds by getting an upgrade version of Windows 8 and using it on a trial version of Windows 7. I'd probably lean towards 8 too for stuff like DX11.2.

Sayer

You'd be talking £768 for this, could save a few pounds on the case if you prefer the Corsair 200R over the Shinobi

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£174.93 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£17.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD55 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£101.88 @ Dabs)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£53.50 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£50.39 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card (£215.71 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: BitFenix Shinobi ATX Mid Tower Case (£49.90 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£49.86 @ Scan.co.uk)
Other: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium with Service Pack 1, 64-bit, English, 1 Pack, DSP OEI (PC) (This OEM software is intended for system builders only) (£53.89)
Total: £768.05
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-16 00:38 BST+0100)

760 comes with the new Splinter Cell game for free so you could sell it to off-set the cost if you wish. You could also save a few more pounds by getting an upgrade version of Windows 8 and using it on a trial version of Windows 7. I'd probably lean towards 8 too for stuff like DX11.2.

Thankyou its great to have another opinion. Just 2 final questions though, is a SSD worth is for the OS and could you just point 1 or 2 things why this is better than the version i said. I can see the 2 X 4GB ram. Has the GPU been upgraded?

kharma45

Thankyou its great to have another opinion. Just 2 final questions though, is a SSD worth is for the OS and could you just point 1 or 2 things why this is better than the version i said. I can see the 2 X 4GB ram. Has the GPU been upgraded?

SSDs are fucking great there is no other way to put it, if you can afford it go for one. You're talking £75 or so for a 120GB one.

GPU in this build is significantly better than the 660

At 1080p roughly 22% better across the board

That build I've thrown together is a good starting point, I'm sure others will have suggestions and critiques about it. Checking there the Shinobi case is OOS, the other suggestion I had was something like the Corsair 200R which I have myself. Price on the Hyper 212 Evo seems to have jumped up with Amazon too :\

You could always scale the GPU back to a 660 or a 7850 to save £50 or so. Both are perfectly good cards.

StarkFist

Last post got buried in the thread, so I'm posting my question again:

I'm a hopeful console convert looking for a decent desktop PC build. Were to use the Standard build from Hazaro's sheet, what could I reasonably expect in terms of performance? I don't really have any concept of PC gaming power so the specs on paper are mostly meaningless to me. I'm located in the U.S. and I'd like to have it assembled by the retailer or manufacturer. Here's my questionnaire for context:

Your Current Specs: Bullshit laptop, runs way too hot and can barely run games that were new in 2009
Budget: $500-$800
Main Use: General usage (Word, web etc.), light audio editing and recording, gaming
Monitor Resolution: Buying a new monitor, any standard resolution would be fine, preferably widescreen
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Would like to run current gen games (Dark Souls, ARMA II, Civ V, Total War series, Starcraft II, LoL, TF2, Skyrim, STALKER) with consistent 30+ FPS on Medium-High graphics settings. No need for heavy duty bells and whistles, I just want something that will let me play modern games and render them at least as well as a PS3 could, and that will last me a little while going into the next gen.
Looking to reuse any parts?: No
When will you build?: Late fall 2013
Will you be overclocking?: No

And here are the parts I'm looking at based on Hazaro's Standard Build, plus a sound card:

CPU: Intel i3 3220 2C/4T 3.3Ghz
Motherboard: MSI B75MA-P45
RAM: 1.35V / 1.5V 2x4GB (8GB)
Graphics: GTX 660 2GB
Storage: WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB
Power: Antec VP450 450W
Case: NZXT Source 210
Optical drive: ASUS DRW-24B1ST
Sound card: Xonar DGX

kennah

I'm a hopeful console convert looking for a decent desktop PC build. Were to use the Standard build from Hazaro's sheet, what could I reasonably expect in terms of performance? I don't really have any concept of PC gaming power so the specs on paper are mostly meaningless to me. I'm located in the U.S. and I'd like to have it assembled by the retailer or manufacturer. Here's my questionnaire for context:

Your Current Specs: Bullshit laptop, runs way too hot and can barely run games that were new in 2009
Main Use: General usage (Word, web etc.), light audio editing and recording, gaming
Monitor Resolution: Buying a new monitor, any standard resolution would be fine, preferably widescreen
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Would like to run current gen games (Dark Souls, ARMA II, Civ V, Total War series, Starcraft II, LoL, TF2, Skyrim, STALKER) with consistent 30+ FPS on Medium-High graphics settings. No need for heavy duty bells and whistles, I just want something that will let me play modern games and render them at least as well as a PS3 could, and that will last me a little while going into the next gen.

And here are the parts I'm looking at based on Hazaro's Standard Build, plus a sound card:

You weren't answered because you're building in months. Come back then for a better idea of what is good. Haswell i3 might be out then for example.

In the meantime - keep your eyes peeled for good deals on nice cases and powersupplies and other parts. Keep some cash around so that you can jump on a good deal on one of the parts you're looking for, then save up for CPU, Motherboard and GPU as there might be better options by then.

StarkFist

You weren't answered because you're building in months. Come back then for a better idea of what is good. Haswell i3 might be out then for example.

In the meantime - keep your eyes peeled for good deals on nice cases and powersupplies and other parts. Keep some cash around so that you can jump on a good deal on one of the parts you're looking for, then save up for CPU, Motherboard and GPU as there might be better options by then.
Will do, thanks. I didn't realize that the turnover rate on gear was that fast.

knitoe

Your budget falls within "The Great - Best Value," I would highly recommend that setup. Games are starting to use more CPU cores, even more so nextgen, and thus, i5 > i3. And, the ability for overclocking by 1+ GHz is a huge free performance gain that even current games will use. If you want to save some money, you don't need to get a SSD and sound card.

New Cosair 330R looks really nice

22525_corsair%20330r%20review%20-%20intro.jpg

Might prove to be some good competition for the Fractal R4, hopefully some more reviews come along soon. This is the first I've seen for it http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/corsair_carbide_330r_review,1.html

Seems like that is the point of it. Has a slightly cleaner look on the outside, without the fan holes that the R4 has. I honestly don't the case though since if you wanted a better looking cleaner case, the 550d is still much better, and the R4 seems like a better option then this at the lower price. Especially if they used the 300r as the base since I remember the 300r being a pain to work with.

As a side note, after looking at some of the pictures, I really don't know why they like to obstruct the front fans. Not from the front by the door, from behind with part of the support structure I mean.

kennah

Heh. The person who sold that to you easily made about $100 and wasn't technically allowed to sell it ;). I bet it is from the retail edge program. Nice score, I tried to get a cheap 3770k from it but none of my friends qualified

Demon Ice

Banned

I don't think there was ever a point you could pay $500 and get a PC that was capable of pushing 120 fps with maxed settings at any respectable resolution.

mkenyon

Banned
120fps? If you want to max games at that, we are talking 1.5-2k

Edit: a bit more if you insist on a prebuilt
Woah woah woah.

There's a distinction to be made here. An OC'd 2500K with something like a 560ti can get 120fps in a vast majority of games.

Stuff like FC3, Metro, Crysis, or really graphic heavy games with all of the bells and whistles enabled would be outliers.

Still, at $500, you'd need to get some used parts just because older procs and mobos don't really go down in price NIB.

leroidys

Does anyone have a good recommendation on how to do some hardware analysis? My ~3 year old computer is running like shit and I want to try and figure out what to replace.

leroidys

Give us a list of your parts?

Well I'm not just looking for bottlenecks necessarily, stuff that ran very well three years ago (namely tf2, web browsing [both chrome and firefox]) has started to run very poorly lately even when my cpu & memory load are below 50%, and I'm wondering if some of my components aren't failing. Anyway, parts are:

radeonhd 5770
4 gb ddr 3 1660
amd x3 445 3.1 ghz

strobogo

Banned
Why on earth would 120 FPS ever become the norm?

I mean, until we start getting cybernetic eye implants and shit. Which would be awesome.

I don't know. I haven't paid attention to computer stuff in about a decade. I see 120FPS on GAF a lot, so it was in my head that it wasn't out of the norm.

I'm not sure how the 550d can be considered superior to the 330r. They both have only 2 USB 3.0 slots, the 550d is more cramped, and the 330r is $40 less.

I don't know. I haven't paid attention to computer stuff in about a decade. I see 120FPS on GAF a lot, so it was in my head that it wasn't out of the norm.

GAF is GAF, you should know that :)

30 FPS is fine for most (non-competitive) gaming and 60 FPS is optimal for competitive multiplayer, although some people insist on 60 FPS for everything.

Above 60 FPS (and many would argue above 45 FPS) you're getting massive diminishing returns for what your eyes/brain can recognize and appreciate vs what you're paying.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Went to Microcenter to buy a kill coil for my loop - they didn't have any. Drats. But I went with a co-worker of mine, and he fell in love with the 900D they had on sale. We had been hyping this case up a bunch prior to release - but it unfortunately was delayed over and over again; and I eventually found a love for CaseLabs and Little Devil. But he likes dat instant gratification, and with me eggin him on, well...

9295520573_8725772001_c.jpg

Tell me that picture doesn't mess with your head!

He pulled out the Sandy Bridge parts from his Alienware Aurora for the time being:

9295309727_ba2827d8c5_c.jpg

lol

Also, in case you guys weren't aware - Planetside 2 is a freaking BLAST. And it's absolutely breathtakingly gorgeous at points at ultra settings. Man - just a lot of fun - lots of chaos. But it's a shame I can't find any real teamwork or communication :( Anyhoo - struggles to stay at 60fps, but only uses about 40-60% of my GPU most the time - looking online, it's extremely CPU bound. Hoping a decent OC can help a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom