• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDug13

I need some PC help with settings.

I have a Sager laptop with a 7970m card. My problem is that now in games such as GTA IV and Borderlands 2, any lighting source will wash out everything around it. Like if I face my character towards the sun in GTA IV, the sunlight makes my face turn completely white as if insane amounts of light are being reflected off my skin. I've tweaked my TV settings, AMD's settings, the in-game brightness and contrast settings, and I just can't stop this lighting bloom from demolishing my image. It didn't start out this way either, and I can't figure out how suddenly everything is jacked with my lighting.

Has anyone run into a similar issue, and if so, how did you fix it? It's getting to the point where this gaming laptop I purchased is pointless since my 360/PS3 produces better images without washing out (which makes me think it's not the TV).

You'll have no issue fitting any single GPU into something like the R4. $80 atm for one. With the R4 you can remove the drive cage in the middle and give yourself loads of room like so

Absolutely no need for a full tower unless you're doing a proper water cooled set up

Oooh I want that case I like the cables in the back side of the case. Thats a Fractal right?

Roland1979

Installed it today, made a big difference in LAN Warsow. TY!

LCGeek mentioned ToastyX, but glad it could help you. Why didn't this Warsow game got approved at Greenlight? I had my doubts about Greenlight anyways. Sony has the right approach by asking what developers want. Lots of gamers have no artistic vision and are like 5 year olds: ask a 5 year old to create the best dish ever and they want to combine pizza with french fries and pancakes covered in chocolate milk. They might work separately, but combining 3 great foods does not equal a 3 times better experience.

kharma45

Its 75 Eu. If you say its good I'll go for it. Thanks kharma45.

It is good, it's a much better brand and I would trust it more from a reliability stand point. XFX do a variant of it too but I couldn't see it on there, nor anything from Be Quiet!.

Oooh I want that case I like the cables in the back side of the case. Thats a Fractal right?

Yeah that's the Fractal R4. Fantastic case, makes me wish I'd plonked out another £30 or so and got one but I have to keep reminding myself I was going for a budget-ish build initially lol

Fjordson

I have a quick question about an MMO mouse:

I'm looking at the Logitech G600 and the Corsair Vengeance m95. Which would you guys recommend?

Both are the same price (linking Best Buy because I have a $50 gift card for BB :lol) but I can't decide. And of course with enough digging I've found negative reviews for both (like bad performance with the M95's laser) but I haven't found another mouse as far as design or number of buttons that I really like. The Razer Naga gets mentioned, but Razer mice have never worked out well for me in the past so I'd rather not get that one.

edit: also, if it matters, I basically use a claw grip most of the time and have somewhat large hands.

SpyGuy239

Guys check this out. A mini-ITX custom "Flightline" courtesy of Gigabyte & Intel:

011.jpg

Original Thread: http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=1092150

Awesome stuff for Home Theatre. Now if only they made powerful GFx cards that small....maybe when Intel Integrated Graphics steps up to the plate!

At near completion, it's like a PS2 slim!
028.jpg

mkenyon

Banned
You won't notice the laser oddities in MMOs. They both use the same sensor, IIRC, and it is a good one. The finer details of that sensor are affected mostly by firmware. The corsair support forums are a bit more helpful in getting a firmware revision that works better for you than the logi forums.

I don't think there's anything out there other than those three.

neoanarch

I need a CPU cooler and a matx HTPC case for cheap. I am desperate enough to go for a cheap Xion case from newegg. its either that or I sell my hauppauge 2250 and buy a Roku 3.

Fjordson

You won't notice the laser oddities in MMOs. They both use the same sensor, IIRC, and it is a good one. The finer details of that sensor are affected mostly by firmware. The corsair support forums are a bit more helpful in getting a firmware revision that works better for you than the logi forums.

I don't think there's anything out there other than those three.
Ah, okay thanks. Yeah, it'll really just be used for MMO's. Maybe adventure games, random indie games at times. I have a Sensei Raw for FPS games and stuff like that (due to all of the recommendations on GAF, <3 that mouse).

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
I don't know it this is the right place to ask, forgive me if it's not, but here goes;
I've got a question about security software. New PC, freshly installed; W8 x64 Essentials is now running, and i've heard some good things about it, but i've still got Norton Internet Security 2013 lying around.
Is it necesarry for me, in this day and age, to install Norton, or will Essentials suffice?

Roland1979

I don't know it this is the right place to ask, forgive me if it's not, but here goes;
I've got a question about security software. New PC, freshly installed; W8 x64 Essentials is now running, and i've heard some good things about it, but i've still got Norton Internet Security 2013 lying around.
Is it necesarry for me, in this day and age, to install Norton, or will Essentials suffice?

Essentials has a good name. However, when i replaced it with Avast! free edition Avast! found several threats on the first scan. Also, some security software which you pay for will be better then free version, but a lot of them are about equal or even worse. Avast!, for example, is among the best free anti virus/malware software programs will hold up against many expensive programs. Testing of these programs is not always reliable because often they don't actually live test it, contaminating it with actual viruses, but programs designed to mimic threats. The best test is of course a test with actual viruses, but from what i understood this way of testing is rare. Essentials runs light, so that is a plus. But whatever you do, don't run 2 anti-virus programs next to each other, at the same time. So make a choice. if you think Norton is better, use it. If it has a game function, use it. Success.

kharma45

Stick with MSE. it's good enough combined with common sense.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I went from 2 fans (stock Fractal R4 set up with one front intake and one rear exhaust) to 5 140 mm fans (two front intake, one bottom intake, one rear exhaust and one top exhaust). I'm overclocking at 4.4 ghz. After 20 minutes of Prime95 my temps were a good 3-5 degrees cooler than the stock set up, hovering around 60 degrees. I'm at 1.24 volts, going to try to steadily drop it.

Uh, is my UPS dying? It powers on anything plugged into it by just plugging it in the socket, even though it's turned off. A while ago I plugged it in (still not turned on), accidentally touched the side and felt a bit electrocuted. Probably grounded.

Roland1979

Surfing habits is one of the most important things indeed. Besides surfing installing software is probably the second easiest way to infect your system, often with software that's is leaking information about your system or is trying to track your habits and upload it. And EULA's don't mean much (plus most people won't read them anyways). But just because your anti-virus software doesn't find anything in months doesn't mean that's a good thing. It could just be poor at picking up threats. It SHOULD find minor threats once in a while. So do a online scan once in a while. And i had used MS Essentials at least a year (think it's more like 2 years) before i switched back to Avast. And the threats it found where not minor but not highest priority either. (Think it was some stalking/tracking software it found).

So right now I've got two 560ti's in SLI, but I'm thinking the SLI really isn't the way to go. Probably going to sell these two on craigslist and buy myself a new card. What's the top of the line right now? I know everyone sucking the Titan's dick, but I've also heard there are better cards out there for gaming. Any and all help is appreciated, gents.

Here's the rest of my system:
Win7
750W Antec PSU
2550K 3.4 (Still need to overclock)
16Gb DDR3
64Gb boot SSD
500GB SATA III

I've always been an Nvidia man, but I know Radeon has been doing a lot lately, so I'm really not opposed to switching sides.

Kydd BlaZe

So right now I've got two 560ti's in SLI, but I'm thinking the SLI really isn't the way to go. Probably going to sell these two on craigslist and buy myself a new card. What's the top of the line right now? I know everyone sucking the Titan's dick, but I've also heard there are better cards out there for gaming. Any and all help is appreciated, gents.

Win7
750W Antec PSU
16Gb DDR3
64Gb boot SSD
500GB SATA III

I've always been an Nvidia man, but I know Radeon has been doing a lot lately, so I'm really not opposed to switching sides.

GTX 780 seems pretty sweet. It's essentially a baby Titan. From what I've read, it's 80% of the performance of a Titan and $350 cheaper. I just ordered one last week and it should be arriving today.

Sanjay

Whats the deal with the PSU changes I recall hearing a few months ago, something to do with compatibility with new upcoming hardware?

I'm thinking about getting a Corsair AX1200i but would stay away if such news is true.

kennah

Win7
750W Antec PSU
16Gb DDR3
64Gb boot SSD
500GB SATA III

Money no object - 780
Money an issue - 7970

7970 would be a slower than the 780, but if you get a good overclocker it'll beat out a 770, they can be found for under $400 with a buttload of games.

I say go for the 780, why not.

And overclock that 2550K, you're an embarrassment.

kharma45

Got my 7850 back, plugged it in. Windows 8 boots to the wee circle thing and then the screen just goes black.

Sleep mode has also disappeared now too when I boot using on board, fucking ace.

Kydd BlaZe

Oh snap! All of my parts just arrived in the mail today! Everything but the fucking case though :(

Hopefully the case will be here by the time I get off work. Can't wait to start this build!

SpyGuy239

Win7
750W Antec PSU
16Gb DDR3
64Gb boot SSD
500GB SATA III

I have 2 560Tis in SLI, just got the 2nd card a few months ago. It's doing great for all my games including the ARMA 3 Beta at 1080p. I say you can wait till th enext generation of 8 series nVidia cards come out. (Unless you'r looking for 60fp and 3D gaming of course, then I recommend the GTX780!)

Chaplain

I need some help. This is my Dell pc:

Intel Core i5 3 i5-3350P / 3.1 GHz
8.0 GB 4096 MB DDR3 (1600 Mhz)
1.0 TB Serial ATA-600 Serial ATA 7200.0 rpm
Radeon HD 7570 1.0 GB GDDR5 SDRAM
SoundBlaster Z
Power supply: AC 120/230 V ( 50/60 Hz ), 460.0 Watt

I wanted to buy the following card, but was more than concerned when I read the following about the power consumption:

Does the fact that the card runs at 273 Watts during full load mean that my PSU will have problems with this card?

kennah

I need some help. This is my Dell pc:

I wanted to buy the following card, but was more than concerned when I read the following about the power consumption:

Does the fact that the card runs at 273 Watts during full load mean that my PSU will have problems with this card?

Your card is only under full load during synthetic benchmarks. Generally during gaming you'll be between 70-80% of load.

Also - that is TOTAL SYSTEM WATTAGE, not just the Video Card.

Chaplain

Your card is only under full load during synthetic benchmarks. Generally during gaming you'll be between 70-80% of load.

Also - that is TOTAL SYSTEM WATTAGE, not just the Video Card.

So, does that mean my pc should be ok with this Video Card?

kennah

So, does that mean my pc should be ok with this Video Card?

Unless your powersupply is a total piece of shit then yeah you should be fine. If you're not sure - take a picture of the sticker on the side of it and post, that'll give the amperage information, but the 650ti should be low enough power draw to work in anything.

mkenyon

Banned
Whats the deal with the PSU changes I recall hearing a few months ago, something to do with compatibility with new upcoming hardware?

I'm thinking about getting a Corsair AX1200i but would stay away if such news is true.
Are you trying to run like 4-way Titans or something?

And the stuff was kind of BS regarding Haswell. PSU vendors tried marketing by labeling stuff compatible with Haswell, when just about every PSU out there is.

diaspora

The fuck could possibly need that much power?

What's the general concensus on 3way and quad sli?

When you start talking about 3 and 4 video cards are you looking at diminishing returns or does the net gain stack each time appropriately?

For example if someone has two 660 ti's in SLI and wants to upgrade in three years would they be good with tri/quad sli or better off upgrading to a newer card?

Decided to get a GTX 770.

4GB vs 2GB @ 2560x1440?

4GB to be safe.

Still going to be interested to see how the 4GB 770's memory bandwidth holds up against next generation games. In particular, how the 7GHz VRAM, or potentially 8GHz overclocked does to overcome the bandwidth issues the 680 saw on the higher resolutions (attributed to the 256-bit bus).

Addnan

What's the general concensus on 3way and quad sli?

When you start talking about 3 and 4 video cards are you looking at diminishing returns or does the net gain stack each time appropriately?

For example if someone has two 660 ti's in SLI and wants to upgrade in three years would they be good with tri/quad sli or better off upgrading to a newer card?

Yep diminishing returns. Go two way SLI at most. When it comes to going SLI with 660Ti though you should try to avoid it right now, get a single bigger card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom