• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MogCakes

9295520573_8725772001_c.jpg

Holy shit that is huge. HUGE.

I'm not sure how the 550d can be considered superior to the 330r. They both have only 2 USB 3.0 slots, the 550d is more cramped, and the 330r is $40 less.

This is all going from pictures of 330r, but that doesn't seem to be the case, so to speak. The 550d defiantly looks to be bigger all around with more room. I mean my biggest problem with the 550D is it's size as I would love the same exact case, but smaller. Defiantly looks more well made as well. There are things like a bottom fan mount, sliding fan filter that you don't have to lift the cast to get to, side fan mounts with pop on covers, rubber grommets for the cable holes, and other things like that the 550d has that the 330r doesn't. May not be worth the $40 difference in price to you, but I don't think it would come out ahead of the R4 for the price point it is at either.

Don't know where you were going with mentioning front panel usb, as I don't think I've ever seen that used as a way to pick a superior case.

strobogo

Banned
GAF is GAF, you should know that :)

30 FPS is fine for most (non-competitive) gaming and 60 FPS is optimal for competitive multiplayer, although some people insist on 60 FPS for everything.

Above 60 FPS (and many would argue above 45 FPS) you're getting massive diminishing returns for what your eyes/brain can recognize and appreciate vs what you're paying.

I'm sure getting something that does at least 30--60 would significantly lower the price range to more of what I'm looking at, no?

Skel1ingt0n said:

Also, in case you guys weren't aware - Planetside 2 is a freaking BLAST. And it's absolutely breathtakingly gorgeous at points at ultra settings. Man - just a lot of fun - lots of chaos. But it's a shame I can't find any real teamwork or communication :( Anyhoo - struggles to stay at 60fps, but only uses about 40-60% of my GPU most the time - looking online, it's extremely CPU bound. Hoping a decent OC can help a bit.

What's your cpu?

mkenyon

Banned
Why on earth would 120 FPS ever become the norm?

I mean, until we start getting cybernetic eye implants and shit. Which would be awesome.

30 FPS is fine for most (non-competitive) gaming and 60 FPS is optimal for competitive multiplayer, although some people insist on 60 FPS for everything.

Above 60 FPS (and many would argue above 45 FPS) you're getting massive diminishing returns for what your eyes/brain can recognize and appreciate vs what you're paying.
I think you are basing this off of some Internet speculation and haven't tried it. You really should, because 120hz/144hz monitors are fanfuckingtastic, especially with lightboost.

I don't know anyone involved heavily in competitive gaming, professional or otherwise, that is happy with 60hz monitors.

*edit

Also, one of the best gaming monitors, the ASUS VG248QE is generally found for $250-300. Not that much more than comparative 60hz panels.

Roland1979

Why on earth would 120 FPS ever become the norm?

I mean, until we start getting cybernetic eye implants and shit. Which would be awesome.

Fps isn't just about what you see. it is about performance too. And only if you run 120fps at a refresh rate of 120hz will you SEE it 1:1. And the human eye can make out more then you think, far above 30fps (which is a false assumption most people make) in game images. There is a difference between game images and movie images. For movies (which are also perfectly stable) 24, 25 and 30 frames are enough. When playing (online) more fps can also reduce input lag.

Roland1979

I don't know anyone involved heavily in competitive gaming, professional or otherwise, that is happy with 60hz monitors.

*edit

Also, one of the best gaming monitors, the ASUS VG248QE is generally found for $250-300. Not that much more than comparative 60hz panels.

Yep. By the way i want to add the BenQ XL2411T as a alternative (slightly cheaper here in Euroland).

mkenyon

Banned
Yep. By the way i want to add the BenQ XL2411T as a alternative (slightly cheaper here in Euroland).
Yeah. Only issue is that it isn't available here. Good idea to add it anyway though as there's a lot of GAFers in EU. Haz and myself can tend to forget about these things :p

Salsa

So i've been having an issue for a while now and I *think* I might have found the culprit.

After I use chrome for a long while, suddenly when I open anything in a new tab, it takes AGES for it to appear, it just keeps loading and loading and loading

I figured it was chrome being awful, and after restarting it would fix itself

now I tried Photoshop and when Chrome is getting like that; it's the same thing with Photoshop. Ages to load.

Here's the thing: both are part of the few software I have installed on my SSD, other than the OS.

It's a Corsair Force Series 3, 120GB. On the 6gb port.

any ideas on any steps I should take? it sucks cause I cant really recreate it for testing purposes, It happens randomly after a while of using the PC.

SpyGuy239

Hi GAF, I'm building a gaming PC for my friend again. Usually quite clear cut on what I want to get but this year, I'm torn. The main question I'm looking at a consensus for:

Haswell or Ivybridge? (Z87 or Z77?)

Will getting a LGA1150 board benefit me in the long run in terms of CPU upgradability? though I'm not really hearing anything about new CPUs being released for this board in the future and intel might just choose to come out with a new board all together ala my LGA 1156

Am I right to say no real benefits in terms of CPU power for Haswell over Ivybridge? (other than the power saving features)

Thanks guys!

Addnan

Hi GAF, I'm building a gaming PC for my friend again. Usually quite clear cut on what I want to get but this year, I'm torn. The main question I'm looking at a consensus for:

Will getting a LGA1150 board benefit me in the long run in terms of CPU upgradability? though I'm not really hearing anything about new CPUs being released for this board in the future and intel might just choose to come out with a new board all together ala my LGA 1156

Am I right to say no real benefits in terms of CPU power for Haswell over Ivybridge? (other than the power saving features)

Thanks guys!
1150 doesn't really have any long term support. Intel do 2 gen of CPU per socket and that is even in slight doubt right now. The CPU after Haswell is supposed to be an even smaller upgrade than Haswell was to Ivy (if that is even possible).

In gaming there is almost no difference between the two. If you want to overclock then go with Ivy, outputs less heat then the Haswell. Haswell is great for emulation though.

Thanks guys!
Most people here, including gurus like Hazaro will recommend Ivy Bridge over Haswell, at least for now.
As someone who has just upgraded his PC I'd recommed you to go with Haswell.
Yes, the performance increase in negligible, it's worse at overclocking that Ivy Bridge, but it's a more future-proof platform than Ivy Bridge since LGA1150 will be used by Broadwell.

Honestly, you won't make a mistake going either way (Ivy Bridge/Z77 or Haswell/Z87)...it's up to you.

Is there a thread where i can discuss problem with games like performance issues rendering problems and stuff like that?
We don't have a single thread for this, AFAIK. Each game has it's own.

For example:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=430456

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=518691

etc.

h3ad0rZ

Dunno if I'm on topic, but can someone recommend good internal blu-ray drive? Primarily for reading disks, like watching stuff, but it can be writable. Also preferably that it will not have any hardware region locking, I know its all about software locking on PC, but just in case.

SpyGuy239

Thanks IvanI, Addnan. Very helpful advice there. Shall wait around for more GAF input as well!

If I can save money by getting Ivy Bridge vs Haswell and put that money to a better GFX...that might be the better option as well me thinks?

I'm gonna read up on broadwell now.

If I can save money by getting Ivy Bridge vs Haswell and put that money to a better GFX...that might be the better option as well me thinks?
I don't think you have any tangible savings to put into GFX.
Processor-wise, it's a $20 difference, AFAIK. (i5 3570K vs. i5 4670K).
I don't think there's any price difference in MBOs.

SpyGuy239

I don't think you have any tangible savings to put into GFX.
Processor-wise, it's a $20 difference, AFAIK. (i5 3570K vs. i5 4670K).
I don't think there's any price difference in MBOs.

I wish that were true. Would help me make my decision easier. Where my friend will be buying from (SE Asia) it's an 50-80-100 difference depending on the board when comparing similar i5 K series CPUs

Roland1979

Just bought

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1411&products_id=23757

$3950 AUD all up delivered

Fairly big upgrade from stock i7 860 & 2x5870 which has served me well since Dec 2009.

Feeling buyers remorse, but that's because I haven't got it yet.

It probably won't arrive until Friday, I just hope I get it for the weekend.

Nice, i guess. But for that kind of money getting "Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB SSD" is kind of ridiculous. Should have been 250GB at least, pro or not. And you could probably save a lot of money by ordering the parts. Not handy? Pay a store like $50 and they'll assemble it for you. But it is a monster rig, give you that.
Out of curiosity, what are you going to do with it? Do you work at NASA or something? 3D Modeler?

Somnid

Has there been any word lately on the Haswell version 2 chipsets that fix the USB sleep issues? I thought those were supposed to start hitting in late July.

wildfire

Banned

There aren't massive diminishing returns thanks to the lightboost trick. In fact you get massive gains due to it.

Ningo

Nice, i guess. But for that kind of money getting "Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB SSD" is kind of ridiculous. Should have been 250GB at least, pro or not. And you could probably save a lot of money by ordering the parts. Not handy? Pay a store like $50 and they'll assemble it for you. But it is a monster rig, give you that.
Out of curiosity, what are you going to do with it? Do you work at NASA or something? 3D Modeler?

Nah, I'm just an accountant, those excel spreadsheets can get pretty demanding.

I went through and added up the cost of the parts separately and it wasn't much cheaper, we get pretty boned in Aus.

With my current computer I sourced all the parts and then paid another place to put it together, but I just don't have the time to do that anymore.

I have a 120g corsair gt ssd in my current comp that I will salvage and add to the new comp. But yea, I agree for the money I've paid they skimped on some things.

It will be the first time I have had an Nvidia card since my previous computer, which was a 6600gt. After the driver issues I have had with my 5870s AMD was not a consideration.

Just happy to be getting a top of the line machine for the first time in my life, I just hope it has the longevity of my current machine and that nothing vastly superior comes out in the next few months....

kennah

Your AMD issues were probably related to trying to run CrossFire.

I like how you simultaneously are happy with what you paid but think they skimped on stuff. ;)

Dave_6

Bought Mirror's Edge and Metro 2033 off the Steam sale last night. ME looks great and runs at 60 fps with the in-game VSync on, but for some reason has awful tearing. I couldn't even play it for more than 5 minutes it was so bad.

Couldn't even get Metro 2033 to run :( Some kind of Physx dll error. I'm using an AMD card too.

I was playing Bioshock Infinite and the game crashed my computer, just a black screen and trying ctrl+alt+del didn't work although it briefly flashed that PrecisionX has stopped working. I had to shut it off manually.

This comes after I oc'ed my 670 which is pretty weird because I did countless Heaven benchmark runs until it stopped crashing or showing artifacts so I thought I was good to go. Could this possibly be something to do with the power target or the voltage (has set both to max) or do I just need to dial down the GPU/memory offset again ?

Bought Mirror's Edge and Metro 2033 off the Steam sale last night. ME looks great and runs at 60 fps with the in-game VSync on, but for some reason has awful tearing. I couldn't even play it for more than 5 minutes it was so bad.

I also bought it while on sale but have yet to play it. (still waiting on half my damn pc parts to arrive).
But I saw this thread pop up about mirror's edge pc issues. No guarantees but maybe something in there can help you out.

Dave_6

Smokey

I was playing Bioshock Infinite and the game crashed my computer, just a black screen and trying ctrl+alt+del didn't work although it briefly flashed that PrecisionX has stopped working. I had to shut it off manually.

This comes after I oc'ed my 670 which is pretty weird because I did countless Heaven benchmark runs until it stopped crashing or showing artifacts so I thought I was good to go. Could this possibly be something to do with the power target or the voltage (has set both to max) or do I just need to dial down the GPU/memory offset again ?

Heaven benchmarking performance doesn't always match in game stability with an overclock. Try dialing it back a bit and see if that helps.

Went to Microcenter to buy a kill coil for my loop - they didn't have any. Drats. But I went with a co-worker of mine, and he fell in love with the 900D they had on sale. We had been hyping this case up a bunch prior to release - but it unfortunately was delayed over and over again; and I eventually found a love for CaseLabs and Little Devil. But he likes dat instant gratification, and with me eggin him on, well...

Tell me that picture doesn't mess with your head!

He pulled out the Sandy Bridge parts from his Alienware Aurora for the time being:

9295309727_ba2827d8c5_c.jpg

lol

Also, in case you guys weren't aware - Planetside 2 is a freaking BLAST. And it's absolutely breathtakingly gorgeous at points at ultra settings. Man - just a lot of fun - lots of chaos. But it's a shame I can't find any real teamwork or communication :( Anyhoo - struggles to stay at 60fps, but only uses about 40-60% of my GPU most the time - looking online, it's extremely CPU bound. Hoping a decent OC can help a bit.

That looks just like Fairfax Microcenter.
Black = Where you parked
Red = Microcenter
Blue = Building in the background on the left side of your photo just above the mini cooper.
foundhssrt.png

Heaven benchmarking performance doesn't always much in game stability with an overclock. Try dialing it back a bit and see if that helps.

Thanks, will have to do that later and just continue with the game at stock values for now since it has a shitty saving system if it ever crashes again.

Coldsnap

What's the common delta between a H100i and fan cooled heatsink? I have my H100i and the pump has a much deeper noise signature than fans, not sure if I like it for a PC that also doubles as a HTPC. It does look damn nice in my case though..

kennah

What's the common delta between a H100i and fan cooled heatsink? I have my H100i and the pump has a much deeper noise signature than fans, not sure if I like it for a PC that also doubles as a HTPC. It does look damn nice in my case though..

Weird, I can barely hear my H100 at all. You might want to look into one of the Noctua options depending on what case you have.

You could look into Noctua NH-D14. Yes it's huge, but it's amazing. I chose it over H80i/H100i because of buzzing/hissing concerns.

Coldsnap

I think I got some testing to do. The noise might just be the air passing through my radiator, right now I can't throttle my radiator fans below 2,350RPM because stupid corsair didn't send me PWM fans. They should arrive later today though.

maliedoo

Hmm, thinking of getting a new laptop for work. (work is paying for it).

Specs:

4th gen Intel® Core™ i7-4800MQ Processor (2.7GHz, 6M cache)
8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3L Memory
500GB 5400rpm SATA Solid State Hybrid Drive
8X DVD+/-RW
Intel® 6235 2X2 802.11n + Bluetooth 4.0 + WiDi
Internal English Backlit Dual Pointing Keyboard
AMD Radeon HD 8790M Graphics 2GB GDDR5
15.6in FHD (1920x1080) Anti-Glare LED
Intel® 6235 2X2 802.11n + Bluetooth 4.0 + WiDi Driver
9-cell (97Wh) Lithium Ion battery with ExpressCharge™
Light Sensitive Webcam and Noise Cancelling Digital Array Mic

comes out to be around $950...
advice?

kennah

Hmm, thinking of getting a new laptop for work. (work is paying for it).

Specs:

4th gen Intel® Core™ i7-4800MQ Processor (2.7GHz, 6M cache)
8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3L Memory
500GB 5400rpm SATA Solid State Hybrid Drive
8X DVD+/-RW
Intel® 6235 2X2 802.11n + Bluetooth 4.0 + WiDi
Internal English Backlit Dual Pointing Keyboard
AMD Radeon HD 8790M Graphics 2GB GDDR5
15.6in FHD (1920x1080) Anti-Glare LED
Intel® 6235 2X2 802.11n + Bluetooth 4.0 + WiDi Driver
9-cell (97Wh) Lithium Ion battery with ExpressCharge™
Light Sensitive Webcam and Noise Cancelling Digital Array Mic

comes out to be around $950...
advice?

Ask the laptop thread - first link in the OP. Looks solid though, I'd worry about battery life, but I'm a MacBook man m'self.

Thanks guys!

You shouldn't even think about sockets when buying a CPU, the days when a motherboard used to last you 4-5 years (<3 LGA 775) are gone and will never back probably. By the time you will want to upgrade in 2015 or so, there will be a new socket for skylake and you will be forced to change your motherboard anyway.

mkenyon

Banned
8320 isn't bad though at the price point it occupies. 8350 is too close to the i5 imo usually.
I've let some FX4300 love go through, but you really need to stop this kind of Tom Foolery.

The thing about objective tests is that we don't need an opinion on interpreting results, they speak for themselves.

The 8350 performs on par with Intel processors released FOUR years ago. Not Sandy, but Lynnfield/Clarkdale. I've heard the arguments, "well what about when it's overclocked, etc etc".

The following benchmarks are performed at stock speeds. That means the 8350 has a 600MHz advantage over the Sandy/Ivy/Haswell i5/i7s.

Overclocked, you can get a 20-35% linear bump with the Intel processors. With Vishera, it's more like 10-25%. Now, where things really start to go wonky, is that Vishera will be using 225-275W when overclocked, and also requires a decent motherboard. So you end up spending a bit more with 8 phase power compared to 4 or 6 that you can use with Intel. Then you also need to wave goodbye to inexpensive power supplies, because that BP550 sure as hell isn't cutting it. You also need to add a much more powerful cooler than the CM Hyper 212+, because handling a 225-275W TDP is a lot to ask out of our resident favorite.

So now we have these hidden costs that creep up, in addition to the fact that the processors themselves perform like shit on a stick when it comes to gaming. At least in comparison to Intel processors.

This isn't IMO. This is empirical.

Kharma, even though we're just some people on a video game forum that has a thread about buying PC parts, there's a lot of people on GAF that will follow your advice. I'm not kidding when I say this thread gets more hits and offers more direct advice than a lot of official hardware review sites. You're offering bad advice when you've been shown that this is bad advice. It's like temporary amnesia or something.

You shouldn't even think about sockets when buying a CPU, the days when a motherboard used to last you 4-5 years (<3 LGA 775) are gone and will never back probably. By the time you will want to upgrade in 2015 or so, there will be a new socket for skylake and you will be forced to change your motherboard anyway.

Not if you use AMD.

kennah

Not if you use AMD.

Because AMD is all that much better with the AM3, AM3+, FX1 and FX2 sockets confusing things :p

Also even though they're pin compatible, not every cpu works on every board that it'll fit in. Some boards will downclock a faster CPU because it can't handle what it wants to push.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom