• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've let some FX4300 love go through, but you really need to stop this kind of Tom Foolery.

The thing about objective tests is that we don't need an opinion on interpreting results, they speak for themselves.

The 8350 performs on par with Intel processors released FOUR years ago. Not Sandy, but Lynnfield/Clarkdale. I've heard the arguments, "well what about when it's overclocked, etc etc".

The following benchmarks are performed at stock speeds. That means the 8350 has a 600MHz advantage over the Sandy/Ivy/Haswell i5/i7s.

Overclocked, you can get a 20-35% linear bump with the Intel processors. With Vishera, it's more like 10-25%. Now, where things really start to go wonky, is that Vishera will be using 225-275W when overclocked, and also requires a decent motherboard. So you end up spending a bit more with 8 phase power compared to 4 or 6 that you can use with Intel. Then you also need to wave goodbye to inexpensive power supplies, because that BP550 sure as hell isn't cutting it. You also need to add a much more powerful cooler than the CM Hyper 212+, because handling a 225-275W TDP is a lot to ask out of our resident favorite.

So now we have these hidden costs that creep up, in addition to the fact that the processors themselves perform like shit on a stick when it comes to gaming. At least in comparison to Intel processors.

This isn't IMO. This is empirical.

Kharma, even though we're just some people on a video game forum that has a thread about buying PC parts, there's a lot of people on GAF that will follow your advice. I'm not kidding when I say this thread gets more hits and offers more direct advice than a lot of official hardware review sites. You're offering bad advice when you've been shown that this is bad advice. It's like temporary amnesia or something.
qLBwQpD.jpg

Thorgal

Was asking this prieviously but got missed or ignored.

What would be a good PSU to go along with a titan ?

currently i have an 550W one.

kennah

Was asking this prieviously but got missed or ignored.

What would be a good PSU to go along with a titan ?

currently i have an 550W one.

Depends on your definition of good. What do you currently have? Do you want modular or non-modular? what case do you have? are you thinking of Sli ever in the future?

Also - our recommendations for good power supplies are in the OP.

mkenyon

Banned
It should be available in EU. If not under the name Seasonic, then as an XFX P1-650X-XXB9, or as a Corsair AX650. All three are the same PSU.

Willectro

Banned
What's the common delta between a H100i and fan cooled heatsink? I have my H100i and the pump has a much deeper noise signature than fans, not sure if I like it for a PC that also doubles as a HTPC. It does look damn nice in my case though..

As I've mentioned here before, I have the H100i on a 4770k in a HAF XB. Although the temps are great (I haven't OC'd yet), I do find the pump and fans to be slightly louder than I would prefer (when on default/balanced modes). I haven't had an issue with the Corsair Link software luckily. Admittedly, the shape/open design of the case contributes to the fan noise and I knew what I was getting into with this type of cooling (and the 6 other fans). The quiet mode (iirc), does cut the noise significantly, and I would imagine this would be great for a HTPC. If you use it for gaming, just switch the fan profiles.

Edit: I have considered swapping the H100i fans for something quieter, but I think I'll just get used to the fan noise and enjoy the performance. One of the fans was making a clicking noise intermittently, but a quick blast of compressed air seemed to fix that.

Coldsnap

As I've mentioned here before, I have the H100i on a 4770k in a HAF XB. Although the temps are great (I haven't OC'd yet), I do find the pump and fans to be slightly louder than I would prefer (when on default/balanced modes). I haven't had an issue with the Corsair Link software luckily. Admittedly, the shape/open design of the case contributes to the fan noise and I knew what I was getting into with this type of cooling (and the 6 other fans). The quiet mode (iirc), does cut the noise significantly, and I would imagine this would be great for a HTPC. If you use it for gaming, just switch the fan profiles.

Edit: I have considered swapping the H100i fans for something quieter, but I think I'll just get used to the fan noise and enjoy the performance. One of the fans was making a clicking noise intermittently, but a quick blast of compressed air seemed to fix that.

Yea, I think it's the fan noise. I'll know more tomorrow when my PWM AF120s come, right now I have 3 pin AF120s on my radiator and they are blowing at 2,300RPM which of course will cause a ton of noise especially when passing through a radiator.

velociraptor

What are the most powerful and most quietest case fans to get? I want a silent PC hopefully one where the GPU and CPU are still cool. I will probably rock a 2 intake and 1 exhaust setup. Fan size needs to be 120mm.

mkenyon

Banned
What are the most powerful and most quietest case fans to get? I want a silent PC hopefully one where the GPU and CPU are still cool. I will probably rock a 2 intake and 1 exhaust setup. Fan size needs to be 120mm.
Need a price range, as well as your idea of quiet. What case will they be going into?

mkenyon

Banned
i7 3820 at stock. I'm hoping a nice 4.3-4.5Ghz can help out.

Try this out: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/144980/ps2_settings.png

And this for your UserOptions file:

[Rendering]
GraphicsQuality=3
TextureQuality=1
ShadowQuality=0
RenderDistance=1000.000000
Gamma=0.000000
MaximumFPS=120
UseLod0a=1
OverallQuality=-1
LightingQuality=1
EffectsQuality=3
TerrainQuality=3
FloraQuality=4
ModelQuality=3
VerticalFOV=74
ParticleLOD=0
ParticleDistanceScale=0.650000
FogShadowsEnable=0
MotionBlur=0
VSync=0
AO=0
GpuPhysics=0

[Terrain]
RenderFlora=Off

velociraptor

Need a price range, as well as your idea of quiet. What case will they be going into?
Fractal Design R3.

Not sure about price range. Depends on how good the fans are. I guess I can spend up to £50 on the three fans.

I just need something cool and quiet. My current case fans audible and they don't really move much air. So need a worthy upgrade.

Although it's pretty hot at 27C, my current temps are off the roof. GPU is 49C, CPU is 41C. I have the Noctua D14 cooler. 2500k @ stock. PC has never been this hot.

Willectro

Banned
Yea, I think it's the fan noise. I'll know more tomorrow when my PWM AF120s come, right now I have 3 pin AF120s on my radiator and they are blowing at 2,300RPM which of course will cause a ton of noise especially when passing through a radiator.

Please post some impressions when you get those fans installed.

I think Noctua fans were the consensus, iirc.

mkenyon

Banned
Fractal Design R3.

Not sure about price range. Depends on how good the fans are. I guess I can spend up to £50 on the three fans.

I just need something cool and quiet. My current case fans audible and they don't really move much air. So need a worthy upgrade.

Although it's pretty hot at 27C, my current temps are off the roof. GPU is 49C, CPU is 41C. I have the Noctua D14 cooler. 2500k @ stock. PC has never been this hot.
Those are really low temps. Idle?

If the Fractal fans are too noisy for you, you'll need to look at some ~1000 RPM options. You'll also want some decent pressure for the front fans as they're pretty restricted.

Cougar Vortex, Noctua NF-P12, Corsair SP Quiet, Arctic Cooling F12, Noiseblocker eLoops.

Those are all really really quiet, though you might want to use some in-line voltage regulators to spin them down even more, or get PWM versions to control with your motherboard.
The game must be badly optimized then
Not poorly optimized, but multiplayer games in specific are really CPU hungry. Taking "state" information, as in, what's happening on the server, and transmitting that to client PCs is really complicated shit that no one has figured out yet. Add in a ton of players and a huge open world, and things get really nasty in no time.

Just about every MP game will give you a really nice boost in performance by increasing CPU frequency.

Mikey

Neo Member
If I am getting a i7 3770K and a GTX 760 2GB with 8GB RAM, what sort of power supply should I be aiming for? 550w or 650w?

velociraptor

Those are really low temps. Idle?

If the Fractal fans are too noisy for you, you'll need to look at some ~1000 RPM options. You'll also want some decent pressure for the front fans as they're pretty restricted.

Cougar Vortex, Noctua NF-P12, Corsair SP Quiet, Arctic Cooling F12, Noiseblocker eLoops.

Those are all really really quiet, though you might want to use some in-line voltage regulators to spin them down even more, or get PWM versions to control with your motherboard.
Those are idle temps. They are low? Thought they were high to be honest. When I look at reviews, idle temps are 38, load temps are 63. I get 48 and 74 respectively (6950 Twin Frozr III).

Others get the same CPU temps as me with the D14 but that's when their CPU is overclocked. So I had expected slightly better cooling I guess.

SpyGuy239

Alright guys, so this is the Rig I'll be building for my friend. It will be used for gaming for the next 3-4-5 years? [and for some work as well but that's no problem]

I've built over 4 rigs myself so I'm not completely cluless but it's my first time I'm building AND can post on GAF so would love to see your opinions and thoughts!

This it the RIG:

Intel Core i5 4670K + Gigabyte Z87-D3HP
G.Skill RIPJAWS-X 1600Mhz 8GB (4GBx2) CL9
Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB DDR5
Samsung 840 PRO 128GB SSD
Western Digital 1TB Blue 64MB SATA3
Seasonic M12II Modular 650W
SAMSUNG 24X DVD-RW SATA Box
NZXT 210 USB3.0 ATX Case Black
x2 Case Fans + 2.5" to 3.5" SSD HDD Converter

This would be bought from SE-Asia so in USD cost would be roughly USD$ 1500 (yeah no newegg or amazon here ): )

Debating the 770 or a 760 2GB. Nvidia only, so no AMD options. Not sure how long the 760 will last vs the 770. Main use will be The Old Republic, Battlefield 4, Crysis 3, whatever future games there may be (HOPEFULLY GTA V ON PC =D)
Any thoughts on the choice of GFX to go for?

kennah

Alright guys, so this is the Rig I'll be building for my friend. It will be used for gaming for the next 3-4-5 years? [and for some work as well but that's no problem]

I've built over 4 rigs myself so I'm not completely cluless but it's my first time I'm building AND can post on GAF so would love to see your opinions and thoughts!

This it the RIG:

Intel Core i5 4670K + Gigabyte Z87-D3HP
G.Skill RIPJAWS-X 1600Mhz 8GB (4GBx2) CL9
Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB DDR5
Samsung 840 PRO 128GB SSD
Western Digital 1TB Blue 64MB SATA3
Seasonic M12II Modular 650W
SAMSUNG 24X DVD-RW SATA Box
NZXT 210 USB3.0 ATX Case Black
x2 Case Fans + 2.5" to 3.5" SSD HDD Converter

This would be bought from SE-Asia so in USD cost would be roughly USD$ 1500 (yeah no newegg or amazon here ): )

Debating the 770 or a 760 2GB. Nvidia only, so no AMD options. Not sure how long the 760 will last vs the 770. Main use will be The Old Republic, Battlefield 4, Crysis 3, whatever future games there may be (HOPEFULLY GTA V ON PC =D)
Any thoughts on the choice of GFX to go for?

Go for the 770, or better yet, find a used 680.

mkenyon

Banned
Those are idle temps. They are low? Thought they were high to be honest. When I look at reviews, idle temps are 38, load temps are 63. I get 48 and 74 respectively (6950 Twin Frozr III).

Others get the same CPU temps as me with the D14 but that's when their CPU is overclocked. So I had expected slightly better cooling I guess.
With your ambient being 27C, you'll want to look at delta temperatures.

The Define does run a bit warmer than most other setups, but it doesn't really matter as long as it is quiet. Temps from the 70s on down is totally fine and within operating specs.
Any suggestions for what PSU I should go for for a 680 SLI setup?
X760.

*edit*

If you don't want single braided cables from Corsair (the reason why I still buy their AX series), then this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207029

That's the least expensive Seasonic 750/760 right now.

The Define does run a bit warmer than most other setups, but it doesn't really matter as long as it is quiet. Temps from the 70s on down is totally fine and within operating specs.

X760.

*edit*

If you don't want single braided cables from Corsair (the reason why I still buy their AX series), then this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207029

That's the least expensive Seasonic 750/760 right now.

Awesome.

I'm going to guess this is a piece of shit then?

velociraptor

Ah right, I see.

So I guess the Noctua P14s are ideal as case fans then?

Danj

Don't think I got a reply to this question I posted earlier - what's an acceptable substitute for the Silverstone PSU in the Fractal Design Node 304 SFF build? Can't seem to find Silverstone PSUs over here in the UK (unless I'm looking in the wrong places). Is Fractal Design's own Integra R2 PSU any good?

EDIT: never mind, I'm a numpty, Scan has them.

Different question then, is 650W really enough if I want to have an i7-4770, a GTX Titan, an SSD and a 4TB WD Black HDD?

EDIT 2: ack! Maximus VI Impact delayed till mid-August!

EDIT 3: so okay, what are the main differences between the Maximus VI Impact and the Z87I Pro? Looks like it's just the sound and the 802.11ac wireless?

mr2xxx

Banned
Who has the ugliest PC interior? Just looking at my PC's insides: dark blue ram heat spreaders, ugly baby blue gigabyte motherboard, matches with nothing beige noctua fans, black and white Node 605 case. I would rate it 4.5/10.

mkenyon

Banned
Wait are GT's expensive in the US? Here they are pretty cheap compared to all the other "good" fans out there.
Yep. $20-25 a piece.

They also come without a sleeved cable, no in line voltage regulation adapters, no decoupling mechanisms (rubber inserts, washers, or even push pins), and with relatively cheap housing.

Their performance still can't be matched though.

No, it's just non-modular, which does suck. The unit itself is good though.

Gentle Typhoons are, but they're crazy expensive for what you get.

I think you'll want P12s though. I don't remember whether or not the R3 can use 140mm fans.

dat fully modular PSU

yeah can't settle for anything less

Addnan

Don't think I got a reply to this question I posted earlier - what's an acceptable substitute for the Silverstone PSU in the Fractal Design Node 304 SFF build? Can't seem to find Silverstone PSUs over here in the UK (unless I'm looking in the wrong places). Is Fractal Design's own Integra R2 PSU any good?

EDIT: never mind, I'm a numpty, Scan has them.

Different question then, is 650W really enough if I want to have an i7-4770, a GTX Titan, an SSD and a 4TB WD Black HDD?

EDIT 2: ack! Maximus VI Impact delayed till mid-August!

Yes, just stick with a good brand. Seasonic, XFX and AX650

Edit: just saw you are getting the silverstone. It should be enough

Roland1979

Ah right, I see.

So I guess the Noctua P14s are ideal as case fans then?

I will receive a R4 and i had the same demand: move a lot of air but as silent as possible. This will always be a balance, more powerful means more noise. But if course some score better then others. Noctua i do see recommended a lot. I got recommended and bought Scythe Gentle Typhoon (Google them) 120mm at 1450rpm (D1225C12B4AP-14).
If you need them to be even more silent you can buy a version with even lower rpm.

Danj

Yes, just stick with a good brand. Seasonic, XFX and AX650

Edit: just saw you are getting the silverstone. It should be enough

OK. And since the Maximus VI Impact is delayed, what's your opinion on the Z87I-PRO? What are the main differences between them, looks like just the sound and the wifi?

sgjackson

I have an H100i and set custom fan profiles so at idle and light loads the fans stay under 1200rpm and barely make any noise and only spin up seriously when the processor gets into the mid to high 50s. I'd play around with the software before I invested in new fans to see if you find something that works for you.

chronomac

I'm new to this thread. I've been thinking about building my own machine for a while but money's been a little tight. Well, my co-worker currently has this machine for sale:

8 GB RAM
AMD Athlon II x4 640 CPU
500 GB HD (7200 RPM)
GeForce 8800 GT (512 MB)

He's asking $250, but I might can get him down to $200. Is it worth that much and is it upgradable? Could I use some of these parts, upgrade others and be good for a while? I'm not look for high performance. Just enough to play most, if not all games, at reasonable settings.

EDIT: I don't know the motherboard. I'll ask tomorrow.

scogoth

Yep. $20-25 a piece.

They also come without a sleeved cable, no in line voltage regulation adapters, no decoupling mechanisms (rubber inserts, washers, or even push pins), and with relatively cheap housing.

Their performance still can't be matched though.

Sleeve them yourself!

Really dumb question:

If the GTX 670 2GB's are old, why are they more expensive than the 760's?

(new at all of this)

Also, how does one choose between ATI and Nvidia? Are their big differences?

Salsa

So i've been having an issue for a while now and I *think* I might have found the culprit.

After I use chrome for a long while, suddenly when I open anything in a new tab, it takes AGES for it to appear, it just keeps loading and loading and loading

I figured it was chrome being awful, and after restarting it would fix itself

now I tried Photoshop and when Chrome is getting like that; it's the same thing with Photoshop. Ages to load.

Here's the thing: both are part of the few software I have installed on my SSD, other than the OS.

It's a Corsair Force Series 3, 120GB. On the 6gb port.

any ideas on any steps I should take? it sucks cause I cant really recreate it for testing purposes, It happens randomly after a while of using the PC.

reposting JIC

Addnan

Really dumb question:

If the GTX 670 2GB's are old, why are they more expensive than the 760's?

(new at all of this)

Also, how does one choose between ATI and Nvidia? Are their big differences?

The 670 is considered a higher model. The middle number show which level it is. 6x0. 660/670/680. Then 760/770/780.

The 670 performs slightly better than the 760 and so the price is higher. Even if it didn't the price wouldn't be lowered. They want you to buy the 770.

As for AMD vs Nvidia. Price is pretty much the deciding factor. The 760 is the best card you can get for $250. Then at $400 it is really close between the 770 and the 7970. Really nothing between the two. Comes to to personal preference and what you can find on a better deal

Nvidia has small benefits like Physx, lightboost on 144hz monitors, but for most they won't be deciding factors.

The 670 is considered a higher model. The middle number show which level it is. 6x0. 660/670/680

Then 760/770/780. The 670 performs slightly better than the 760 and so the price is higher. Even if it didn't the price wouldn't be lowered. They want you to buy the 770.

As for AMD vs Nvidia. Price is pretty much the deciding factor. The 760 is the best card you can get for $250. Then at $400 it is really close between the 770 and the 7970. Really nothing between the two. Comes to to personal preference and what you can find on a better deal

Nvidia has small benefits like Physx, lighboost on 144hz monitors, but for most they won't be deciding factors.

That was incredibly well put together. In 30 seconds you just explained what two hours of trying to read product listings and what not could not.

Do you have a steam wishlist? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom