• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Neither. Both are bad for gaming as well due to the very low per-thread performance.

Thats not the point - i am not asking for general CPU gaming advice, i already know why it is just about the AMD CPUs right now. My question is about the upcoming CPU generation support for AMD sockets.

What should I sell my old PC for?

RAID Max Tornado ($35-45 new)
550W ePower PSU ($40 new?)
ASUS M4A78-PLUS AM3/AM2+/AM1 MoBo ($70-80 new?)
Phenom II x4 970 BE @ 3.5GHz ($115 new)
8GB DDR2 Kingston HyperX RAM @ 800MHz ($100 new)
XFX 6950 2GB ($160 new; took 20 off 7850 prices)
CD/DVD-RW LG Superdrive ($20 new)
500GB Western Digital Green ($70 new)

~$630 if it were new.

No Operating System (other than 30 complimentary days of Win 7)

I was guessing $250-350. Opinions?

mkenyon

Banned
Thats not the point - i am not asking for general CPU gaming advice, i already know why it is just about the AMD CPUs right now. My question is about the upcoming CPU generation support for AMD sockets.
With PCI-E 2.0 being a native part of the current chipsets and sockets, I'd be really surprised if future CPUs will continue to work on the existing sockets. It'll be like a AM3/AM3+ situation where older CPUs work on the newer sockets, but newer CPUs do not work on the older chipsets.

Maintaining an upgrade path on an existing socket is definitely a thing of the past.
Ah - gotchya. Thanks! I knew that multi-driver headsets wouldn't compete on music with their low quality, but thought they might do well with games. Seems I'd best be served with a nice pair of headphones, then. I've always loved those AKGs - had my eye on them a few times; maybe now is the perfect time to splurge. That, plus a fancy SoundBlaster could do wonders.

Then I'd need a mic... time to go NewEgg hunting.
Mod mic + AKG Q701 + Soundblaster Z = insane. Experiencing it has been so nice that I am now unable to accept ITX as the future. Still need that sondcard expansion slot.

zeelman

And why excatly do you think i havent read the OP ? I own the other components ready and i am debating between these two CPUs, question is which socket will be probably supported longer with upcoming AMD processors...FM2 or AM3+ ?

Return those parts and get the Core i3 build in the OP. The performance of AMD's current processors pales in comparison to Intel's.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
With PCI-E 2.0 being a native part of the current chipsets and sockets, I'd be really surprised if future CPUs will continue to work on the existing sockets. It'll be like a AM3/AM3+ situation where older CPUs work on the newer sockets, but newer CPUs do not work on the older chipsets.

Maintaining an upgrade path on an existing socket is definitely a thing of the past.

Thanks - this kinda sucks. Also read about upcoming APUS needing new FM2+ sockets in 2014. Guess it`ll be the same for AM3.

Is the situation the same for the current Intel Sockel 1150 ? Or can we expect the next Intel CPU gen to run on these boards as well ? Would really suck if you have to change the mobo/socket just for a CPU upgrade in future.

So I'm trying to find a 780 Hydrocopper and it's fucking impossible. There's one on Ebay but it's $950 and coming from Hong Kong - no thanks.

Everywhere else it's sold out. Does EVGA make like 2 of these a month? For fuck's sakes.

Anyone seen any for sale?

longdi

Banned
What's the better option to cool a i7 3930K: Noctua NH-D14 or Corsair H100i? I'm reading very mixed opinions across different sites. I'd want to do a slight overclock (4.0-4.2) and I'll be using it for heavy duty video editing, special effects, etc. The PC will be on a lot and under heavy load, so I want to make sure I get good temps. Also, which case would be best suited for each cooling option? I've looked through the OP, but some extra help would be appreciated. For example, I don't really care about noise, as long as the case has very good airflow and cable management.

Thanks in advance!

PS. In case you guys need more specs to give good advice, this is the build I'm currently looking at:

ASUS P9X79 PRO
i7 3930K
Noctua NH-D14 SE2011??????
32GB (4x8) Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3-1600
Gigabyte 780 OC 3GB
Corsair 650D?????
Corsair AX760i
2x 256GB Samsung 840 PRO (raid0)
1x 500GB WD Black (scratch disk)
1x 2TB WD Black (data disk)

This. Supposedly better than H100i. And it is made out of unibody aluminium.

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=404

td02-dimension.jpg

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cooling/2013/07/12/silverstone-tundra-td02-review/3

http://www.eteknix.com/silverstone-tundra-td02-240mm-aio-liquid-cpu-cooler-review/7/

Mad Max

Thanks - this kinda sucks. Also read about upcoming APUS needing new FM2+ sockets in 2014. Guess it`ll be the same for AM3.

Is the situation the same for the current Intel Sockel 1150 ? Or can we expect the next Intel CPU gen to run on these boards as well ? Would really suck if you have to change the mobo/socket just for a CPU upgrade in future.

For the intel socket the situation is similar: s1150 will probably get the haswell refresh come summer 2014. After that I expect intel to move to another socket/bga for broadwell in 2015.
s2011 is set to get the IB-E cpus this fall and after that intel will probably move to another socket for their enthusiast platform.

So I'm trying to find a 780 Hydrocopper and it's fucking impossible. There's one on Ebay but it's $950 and coming from Hong Kong - no thanks.

Everywhere else it's sold out. Does EVGA make like 2 of these a month? For fuck's sakes.

Better to just get a reference 780 and buy a better waterblock seperately.

mkenyon

Banned

Unfortunately, this is just how things work now. It's been this way since ~2009

On the flip side of things, forcing a company to stick to a socket can drastically reduce the speed in which they can deliver new technology. New architecture requries different pin configurations. Trying to remap architecture while sticking to the same pin configurations is a pretty hefty burden.

kennah

It isn't like it used to be, with a CPU upgrade being a huge improvement. The i5-2500K from THREE generations ago is still competitive with the current i5. So if you buy something decent you can expect the CPU to last a few years while you upgrade the GPU along side it.

Once PCI-E3.0 starts being necessary, then the 2500k will finally start to phase away...

Basically - by the time your CPU starts being the bottleneck - you would have to be changing your motherboard anyway.

mkenyon

Banned

Reference 780 +
300x300px-LS-135f8d46_23550.jpeg

The Hydrocopper blocks aren't great quality to begin with.

iavi

Tried to overclock the panel inside this playstation 3D display of mine with CRU, I've read that it supports it, but can't get windows to recognize it as anything more than a generic PNP monitor for the settings to apply. Was trying to get out of the 60hz ghetto a bit before committing to another monitor. :(

Better to just get a reference 780 and buy a better waterblock seperately.

I'd really rather not. It's more expensive, have to deal with removing stock cooling and installing water block and backplate, and then there's warranty concerns.

I just don't understand why it's so hard to get one. Amazon is showing 1-3 months for shipping? Does EVGA just not make any of these ever? It was only released like a month ago. Makes no sense.

mkenyon

Banned
I'd really rather not. It's more expensive, have to deal with removing stock cooling and installing water block and backplate, and then there's warranty concerns.

I just don't understand why it's so hard to get one. Amazon is showing 1-3 months for shipping? Does EVGA just not make any of these ever? It was only released like a month ago. Makes no sense.
1) It's less expensive.

2) Removing a block is ezpz.

3) It doesn't void your warranty.

If you are iffy about removing a heatsink, are you sure you should be getting into watercooling?

In either case, here's a 780 with an EK block pre-installed: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2...ofessionally_Installed_-_03G-P4-2783-KR_.html

*edit*

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g57...locks_-_VGA_nVidia-EK_GTX_780Titan-Page1.html

There's a bunch of blocks. Some are $100, which puts the price $60 below the HydroCopper. Plus they're better blocks.

This is the kind of bullshit I was talking about when I said TigerDirect has "shitty generic customer service responses." Here's the last email I sent them:

Hello,

That is excellent. Thank you very much for sending a fan. This was the best possible solution to my problem.

Are my other two items (A455-5022) and (TSD-WD10EZEX) also being shipped? You explained that I could have them shipped immediately if I agreed to have my credit card charged, which will be refunded once you receive my defective items. I agreed to that option, but I do have one question: I do not have the original shipping box that those 2 items came in. Could I wait until your shipment of my replacement items arrives, and then use that same box to send you my defective items in? If not, I could use one of those USPS flat rate boxes instead.

And here's the response I got this morning:

TigerDirect said:
Dear Valued Customer:

Thank you for your e-mail.

All comments and suggestions are very important to our infrastructure as a company. These observations allow us to develop our communication with our customers and to bring the level of service and quality to a standard that's higher than that of most computer companies today.

It's gratifying to know that our efforts have not gone unnoticed. Please feel free to visit http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Tiger_Direct to share your Tiger Direct experience with others about the service you have received.

Thank you for visiting our website. We appreciate your business. If you have further inquiries and reply to this email, please make sure to include your entire message, so we can address it appropriately. Please feel free to contact me at the phone number below should you require any further assistance.

I've had to deal with this nonsense for a goddamn week already. I'm seriously about to blow my fucking lid.

1) It's less expensive.

2) Removing a block is ezpz.

3) It doesn't void your warranty.

If you are iffy about removing a heatsink, are you sure you should be getting into watercooling?

In either case, here's a 780 with an EK block pre-installed: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2...ofessionally_Installed_-_03G-P4-2783-KR_.html

*edit*

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g57...locks_-_VGA_nVidia-EK_GTX_780Titan-Page1.html

There's a bunch of blocks. Some are $100, which puts the price $60 below the HydroCopper. Plus they're better blocks.

I didn't realize the EK blocks are that cheap. FrozenCPU has the Swiftech block that's on the HC for like 180 and then 20 for backplate, so I figured it was going to end up more.

Hmmm. Maybe I will go this route. Thanks for the info, everyone.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So youre saying that I need a new PSU? Or go trade this in for a new GPU?
Nab a VP450 or CX430 / CX430M if that will fit on your case.
Ok gaf, bear it with me for a sec

my knowledge hardware-wise is practically zero, so be kind lol

i've been rockin this rig for three years with no problem whatsoever, but i've been thinking for a while about boosting my performance a bit
I'd say go with a GTX 760 4GB for $290 or a GTX 770 if you think you need the performance boost. And Overclock the crap out of your 930.
What's the better option to cool a i7 3930K: Noctua NH-D14 or Corsair H100i? I'm reading very mixed opinions across different sites. I'd want to do a slight overclock (4.0-4.2) and I'll be using it for heavy duty video editing, special effects, etc. The PC will be on a lot and under heavy load, so I want to make sure I get good temps. Also, which case would be best suited for each cooling option? I've looked through the OP, but some extra help would be appreciated. For example, I don't really care about noise, as long as the case has very good airflow and cable management.

Thanks in advance!

PS. In case you guys need more specs to give good advice, this is the build I'm currently looking at:

ASUS P9X79 PRO
i7 3930K
Noctua NH-D14 SE2011??????
32GB (4x8) Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3-1600
Gigabyte 780 OC 3GB
Corsair 650D?????
Corsair AX760i
2x 256GB Samsung 840 PRO (raid0)
1x 500GB WD Black (scratch disk)
1x 2TB WD Black (data disk)
If it's only a 4.0-4.2 OC I'd say get the air cooler. The gap is much closer than you think and it's a lot less noisy.

Can anyone tell me where i can get a Noppoo Choc Mini 84 USB NKRO Mechanical Gaming Keyboard with Cherry MX Brown Switches? I found it on Amazon but they are all used and Ebay is trying to charge close to 300 dollars. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

zeelman

Would a coolermaster 500w suffice? They have one at frys for 50 bucks.

The PSU is the most important part in your PC. You want a good one that will last. If they have some of the PSUs mentioned in the OP at Frys, get one of them instead. Otherwise its worth the wait ordering one online.

Hip Hop

Don't know if this is the right place but,

I have been with this PC for about 7 months and it's been like since I started noticing more and more. It's my first gaming build so I'm fairly new to this.I don't know if this is part of PC gaming but when the graphics are above 60 frames, I get gameplay that doesn't look smooth.

No frame drops, but it looks like I'm gaming at 30 FPS. Some told me that it is screen tearing, but this is really bad. Why can console games do Vsync or hold frames at 60FPS and the gameplay be smooth? Is this my PC? Can I do anything to fix it?

Even below 60 FPS, screen tearing is still there.

I cap my frames at 60FPS, I get screen tearing. I use Vsync, and it looks wonderful but the input lag is unbearable.

So without Vsync: ugly
Vsync: Beautiful but unplayable.

Tried my onboard graphics, I get the same effect as my GTX 670.

Already changed my motherboard and it still the same. It makes me not play any games on here.

My second part. All my mouses stutter on this PC when I look around in game. If I move with a keyboard or move a camera with the controller, everything is smooth. I use a mouse, and it stutters. Sometimes it depends from game to game, others are more noticeable than the next.

Any ideas?

GTX 670
i5 3570k
8gb RAM
Windows 8

I'm close to selling my expensive parts, and just use this as a regular computer.

mkenyon

Banned
Option 1) Get D3DOverrider and force Triple Buffering, this will reduce the input lag.

Option 2) Get a 120hz/144hz monitor.

MedIC86

Might want to test a 120hz monitor first, would be a shame if you splurge a lot of cash at it and it doenst do anything for you.

yatesl

I don't know which I would do. I have two at the front, two at the top and one at the rear in my case and it seems to work OK. Two at the front for you sounds like it could work but someone with an R4 could likely advise better.

Going back to this, I ordered an R4 fan from Amazon. However, saw a vid on YouTube, and realised the white blades wouldn't be covered by any dust screen or anything - I'd have a glaring white fan sticking out the side of my case. Decided to look in to black ones (although with that in mind, I'm half tempted by some crazy LED). Tempted by Be Quiet! fans, but at £20 I don't know if they'd be worth it.

Coldsnap

Someone asked me to report on the noise of the H100i. Right now I have 4 Sp120s Quiets in a push/pull running at max and I can't hear my PC from my couch. Big improvement from the stock fans. I'm also using a case that has zero sound dampening, I'm starting to realize my old R3 sound dampening probably only made the temps hotter. I'll have to see how well it cools though, right now cables are everywhere in my PC and I'm just waiting for my sleeved cables to arrive to start my OC.

Fans_zpsfbebd68e.png

Gurrry

I got the Lepa 500watt PSU. I hope to god that this makes my AMD 7750 work now.

If not, you might see me on the news later going on a massive spree of anger.

kharma45

Going back to this, I ordered an R4 fan from Amazon. However, saw a vid on YouTube, and realised the white blades wouldn't be covered by any dust screen or anything - I'd have a glaring white fan sticking out the side of my case. Decided to look in to black ones (although with that in mind, I'm half tempted by some crazy LED). Tempted by Be Quiet! fans, but at £20 I don't know if they'd be worth it.

Be Quiet! stuff is quality, I'd have no issues with going with them. Almost did myself. You can get cheap ones like these that aren't PWM http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003KWW17A/ or these that are http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005OQN29Q/ review of them http://www.eteknix.com/be-quiet-shadow-wings-series-fan-review/

All depends on what you want to pay, there's lots of stuff out there on case fans. Noctua do great stuff but the colour scheme might put you off.

Gurrry

Be Quiet! stuff is quality, I'd have no issues with going with them. Almost did myself. You can get cheap ones like these that aren't PWM http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003KWW17A/ or these that are http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005OQN29Q/ review of them http://www.eteknix.com/be-quiet-shadow-wings-series-fan-review/

All depends on what you want to pay, there's lots of stuff out there on case fans. Noctua do great stuff but the colour scheme might put you off.

Hey man idk if you got my PM or not but the GPU fans were moving but the monitor never displayed anthing at all (all of them in the pc were actually).

I went to frys and got a 500w supply. Im hoping this will do the trick!

kharma45

Hey man idk if you got my PM or not but the GPU fans were moving but the monitor never displayed anthing at all (all of them in the pc were actually).

I went to frys and got a 500w supply. Im hoping this will do the trick!

Just saw it there now, had been checking GAF on my phone all day and hadn't noticed it so sorry for the very late reply!

Calmine

Anyone have any ideas why GPU scaling on AMD Catalyst control doesn't work anymore?

I've got it set to Scale image to full panel size on my 2560x1440 monitor and whenever I play a game which I set to 1920x1080 (i.e. Metro: LL or BF3) I get giant borders around the screen and it's horrible.

Tried both 13.4 and beta 13.6 and no different. The only way I've got it working was setting Native desktop to 1080p and but that's horrible.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Running Win8 64bit.
HIS HD7950.

P44

Gaf?

What do I change first here?

CPU: i7 920 D0 @ 4 ghz
GPU: GTX 570
Ram: 6 gb

Will I see big performance differences if I change cpu to ivy bridge? I think I'll see big graphics performance changes on the 7xx series, but I'm wondering is it worth me doing the cpu and motherboard first, so i dont have to do it later and as a result have to take apart everything.

Foxyone

When comparing specs between two GPUs of the same architecture type (Tahiti, etc), what specs make one better than the other? Shaders, frequencies, fillrates, etc?

Gurrry

My new psu doesnt have the 4 pin pci-e adapter. Is there any 500w psu that had this or is there an adapter for a 6 pin to a 4 pin?

BIGWORM

Is an older i5 750 @ 3.8 good to go, as far gaming? My i5 build is 3 years old at this point, with 8GB DDR3 and a newer installed GTX660? Should I probably just look for a higher gpu solution?

Gurrry

Are you talking about the one that plugs into the motherboard? Use one half of the 4+4 pin one

Basically, the pci-e cord on the PSU is a 6 pin. The one on my motherboard is 4 pin. Can I just splice it down to 4 and plug it in or just go get a PSU that has one?

kennah

Basically, the pci-e cord on the PSU is a 6 pin. The one on my motherboard is 4 pin. Can I just splice it down to 4 and plug it in or just go get a PSU that has one?
No. That is the wrong cable. 6 pin is for video card. You'll be looking for an 8 pin for your mother board that will probably split into two fours.

maneil99

Gaf?

What do I change first here?

CPU: i7 920 D0 @ 4 ghz
GPU: GTX 570
Ram: 6 gb

Will I see big performance differences if I change cpu to ivy bridge? I think I'll see big graphics performance changes on the 7xx series, but I'm wondering is it worth me doing the cpu and motherboard first, so i dont have to do it later and as a result have to take apart everything.

Upgrading the GPU will give you the biggest performance, wait until after for the MB/CPU/RAM, chances are your using triple channel anyways so you'd need to get dual channel ram , better off with a 770 GTX for now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom